It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive explosion rocks Detroit refinery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

That is very true also. When people are stressed they make mistakes. Companies cut corners sometimes to make profits, a stupid middle management move.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Here is another source with alittle more info, but not much

www.freep.com...

There is a very good photo at above site of the area and the smoke if some one wants to post it.
I have to go take care of my dogs.
Be back in a bit.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interesting "coincidences" -

A) "marathon"

B) we are currently in Lunation Cycle 1117

www.timeanddate.com...

C) Today is the 117 day of the year.

D) 117th Boston Marathon just occurred.

Either (insert name of ATS debunk Crew here) is right....and all of this is "coincidence"....OR we are seeing proof of the Matrix right before our eyes.

edit on 27-4-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

I would like to add more to this but since it just hitting the news online and TV
a few minutes ago, there is little info out yet.

Will keep looking for updates to post.

First responders from Detroit ,Marathon and local fire crews are there but the word is that the fier is too hot to do
much at this time .

I don't know of any Injuries at this time

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-4-2013 by azureskys because: add on

How does an oil tank just explode ? Keep us posted amigo ! SnF

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

Yeah, that's what it is...infrastructure. 40 years finally caught up to us now with explosions occurring all over the place. I think this theory is a little more plausible.

The waters of the Earth are now pluming suffocating methane and deadly hydrogen sulfide, both highly flammable gases.

Ancient anaerobic bacteria and archaea that pre-date oxygen-using life are reassuming dominance on the Earth. As part of their life cycle these bacteria and archaea emit hydrogen sulfide. As a consequence, the oceans, lakes and seas have begun to plume increasing amounts of hydrogen sulfide into the atmosphere. This is an ancient extinction event. Hydrogen sulfide is the likely culprit in many if not all previous planetary extinction events.

Hydrogen sulfide is a deadly broad-spectrum poison. It is lethal to humans with one or two breaths in concentrations of 1 part per thousand. In other words, if the air you breathe is 99.9% clean and 0.1% hydrogen sulfide then you're going to be dead after one or two breaths. It is also a water-soluble gas and will contaminate water. It is a heavier-than-air gas so it will tend to seek out low-lying areas such as rivers, lakes, seas, oceans, valleys, ravines, ditches, quays, bays, gorges, canyons, basements, underground facilities, etc. It is also highly flammable and is reactive with numerous substances, including (but not limited to) copper, rusty iron/steel, nitric acid, and sodium hydroxide.

And more...

At very low concentrations hydrogen sulfide is said to smell like 'rotten eggs'. However, you should not count on being able to smell it at any concentration beyond the trivial as it paralyzes the olfactory sense and if you can smell it at all then the smell will fade rapidly. That does not mean the danger is gone! At medium-high concentrations some people say that it can smell 'flowery' or 'sickeningly sweet'. I have smelled that odor myself, when a septic worker had a sewer lid open and was pumping excrement into the sewer from porta-potties. (I got as far away from there as I could before I took another breath.)

Though it is a heavier-than-air gas, hydrogen sulfide is nevertheless being blown up into the upper atmosphere sometimes, where it is reacting away both the ozone layer and hydroxyl radicals. The loss of the ozone layer will probably eventually result in lethal levels of UV radiation baking the surface of the planet. The rising UV levels are already damaging DNA and RNA and causing increases in the frequency of genetic defects such as albinism and polycephaly (two-headedness) and genetic chimeras.

The loss of hydroxyl radicals means that atmospheric methane will last considerably longer in the atmosphere than it normally would, since hydroxyl radicals would normally mitigate the methane. Which brings me to...

Methane clathrate deposits in the oceans around the world are now dissociating (melting), flooding the atmosphere with increasing amounts of methane, which is a highly flammable odorless gas. Natural gas is primarily comprised of methane. The methane releases alone would probably be enough to eradicate human civilization from the surface of the Earth. This is called the Clathrate Gun Hypothesis.

We are getting both hydrogen sulfide releases and methane releases. This is likely the same scenario that killed off most life on Earth during the Permian-Triassic Extinction Event, also called 'The Great Dying'.

Source

edit on 27-4-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

That doesn't look very "massive" if you ask me. You might want to change the thread title a bit.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I see why now. Diesel.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Interesting "coincidences" -

A) "marathon"

B) we are currently in Lunation Cycle 1117

www.timeanddate.com...

C) Today is the 117 day of the year.

Either (insert name of ATS debunk Crew here) is right....and all of this is "coincidence"....OR we are seeing proof of the Matrix right before our eyes.

Check out some of the videos on this channel
www.youtube.com...

Fires in Detroit all the time, run down, dump by the look of things.
You could find a conspiracy in anything lol

edit on 27-4-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Its not massive at all, its a small holding tank that was on fire. A massive fire would be the whole refinery or at least a large portion of it. Yea theres a lot of black smoke, but you can get a ton of black smoke from burning a single tyre.

I agree the title is very misleading and only serves one purpose....it must be a conspiracy, all these MASSIVE explosions lol

link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
These accidents will keep happening as our infrastructure keeps crumbling and investments go instead offshore. Not just refineries, but everything else that can go boom. Face it, the equipment is 4 decades old at least and the workers are underpaid and overworked. But the companies make record profits each quarter by bending over the US consumers...

I think you hit the jackpot with that observation, A combination of crumbling old infrastructure, federal and state cuts in all the worst places coupled with greed that seems to know no bounds anymore ....it all forms the perfect storm for things to start failing in spectacular ways.

I think that is what we're seeing. Spectacular failure from Spectacular neglect ..willful and inadvertent both.

link   
It's because all of our replacements parts for EVERYTHING here in America...

are made in China....

start watching for even more failures/explosions .....

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That doesn't look very "massive" if you ask me. You might want to change the thread title a bit.

Nope.
It was the title directly from news article. In accordance with ATS rules.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Oops, I probably should have checked that first. Carry on...

edit on 27-4-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Nope.
It was the title directly from news article. In accordance with ATS rules.

Indeed... Your OP fits quite well to the interruptions for a news bulletin I could hear from the backroom as it came over the TV in the living room as well. It may have turned out to be something less, but the initial blast of news was pretty harsh as these things are coming to be.

Then again, one of these days it may be an actual understatement, despite the hyperbole media seems to embrace at times ...then we'll complain they didn't yell loud enough, right? Can't win for losing sometimes.. lol

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
www.freep.com...

Fire put out at Marathon refinery in Detroit

Details are still emerging but Marathon spokesman Shane Pochard said the fire was located in one of the refinery’s smaller tanks and was put out just before 8 p.m. The fire, which started before 6:30 p.m., prompted evacuations in nearby Melvindale and had first responders from Detroit and neighboring communities offering aid.

No Marathon employees or contract workers were hurt, Pochard said. About 300 Marathon employees work at the refinery, plus an additional 300-400 contract workers, said Peter Brokas, head of security.

www.freep.com...

No info on what caused the explosion or what damage has been done,
including air quality for surrounding area.
It can't be goog what ever is reported in updates.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Be it a controversial site or a funny name for the company you need to do this. Zoom Out and look at the Global Picture.

These types of explosions are on the rise everywhere not just hand made in America.

Methane. Period. Its popping all sorts of things off including gas lines and water mains. Infrustructure and alike.

Yes it will become more obvious as we all go along here Globally.

If you live by anything combustable move. Can't do much about the gas lines under your house.

The Earth is Very Moving right now. Everywhere!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

With certainty, you speak the truth.

Imagine the fear of those living in the imediate area.
I live about 90 miles from there but fear was my first reaction.

I really want to know what caused the explosion

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

Sorry, but I am concerned about my family,neighbors and friends before the whole globe.
Forgive me for being selfish, but I have even more reason to fear any reports of refinery explosions than most.
Check out what I live near.:
www.shutterstock.com...
This:
footage.shutterstock.com... tml
Lots of danger to view on this page:
search.comcast.net...

This is why I get the jitters when I hear any news about bombings/explosions in the U.S.,especially
if there are reports of refinery fires and explosions.
I live near a "ticking time-bomb"

edit on 27-4-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
OMG!!! some industrial accident just happened,so it must be a terrorist attack,or a cruise missle,or a bomb! Really,you don't believe in just stupid coincidence? If every fire,explosion,whatever,was an attack,we'd all be in a bomb shelter 24/7.Grow up and get over it,if they really wanted to hurt the USA,they'd hit refinerie's and power center's,not some 2 bit dump in texas

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

they'd hit refinerie's and power center's,not some 2 bit dump in texas

You really said that...huh? I guess you didn't read the part about this being a refinery near Detroit Michigan, not a "dump in Texas". Wow....

That was amazing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join