It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does 'That' Thread Have So Many Flags??!! Allow Me To Explain...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. The internet standard of what constitutes remarkableness seems unbelievably inane more than half the time. I try to remind myself that people have different opinions, sense of humor, etc. So who knows what's going on? Maybe there's a long-standing trend of admiring meaningless nonsense. The YouTube dance video fads come to mind.

You seem sure that these cases go beyond people clicking away legit because they admire people who dare to be boring but won't admit it in the comment section . Could you message me an example of one of the threads you refer to? I'm curious to see what you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
ATS mods/admin will flag a thread 100x or whatver they do to encode it. I didn't know they did that until that thread about the freeman scam.

This one www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-4-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Because they traced the accounts back to the RNP.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by JayinAR

Springer notifying that it seems ATS had been infiltrated by the Republican National Party

This is very interesting. Why wasn't it thought to be infiltrated by Democrats? Any ideas?

The overwhelming amount of "conspiracy theorists" on ATS that were pro-Romney during the election?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Also, to all the folks reeling against the star and flag system, I understand about the stars, as they are truly worthless, but the flags are important.
This is like a media outlet by the people and for the people. The flags allow us, the users, to collectively choose which news stories represent the site as a whole. And that is cool.

And once again, with the more popularity this site gains, more interest groups will try and game the system. It is the nature of the beast. However, it has been my experience that overall this site has an excellent support staff. These guys do a good job considering the tremendous amount of traffic this site receives.

for ATS.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Totally agree there, the ATS system is better than many of the other ones out there - Reddit can get down right nasty and sites that use a sliding scale of authority are EVEN worse, at least the S+F system just reflects interest without granting privileges.

As you say, there's always people who feel the need to play the system, nature of the beast

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Doesn't the subscribe link under the large FLAGS Number in the top left heading of the post allow you to mark a site of interest to you without giving a star or flag?
I use it on things that interest me and find it convenient.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I read about the first page of this thread, and someone mentioned the facebook mentality, but I didn't read the whole thing before writing this now. Websites aren't free, and the people that run them, especially when they get to a certain size and interest level aren't just doing it for fun or even devotion to legit honor all the time, all the way. Most everything still exists for profit.

A couple of years ago, it was really fascinating to study facebook's algorithms, they nearly gave themselves away in how they networked and linked users. It's a lot more complicated now, or maybe it's just gotten to the point it's too obvious and no one even tries to question it anymore. I don't see a whole lot of ads when I access ATS on the computer, but when I pull up threads on my phone, there's an ad every few posts or so. So, yeah, I'm sure I a lot of attention is intentionally steered to the more salacious posts.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosegaol

Salacious isn't really the right word. Pardon me while I enjoy some Magic Hat. Just scandalous and attention-getting.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So I looked at this, from the link provided to me, and here's my thoughts on this..

Maybe some posts just resonate better than others, but people simply don't want to comment on them, because there is nothing more to add.

Maybe certain posts attract certain people who read them, flag them and leave them alone.

Do either of those point to a conspiracy?

Or is the real conspiracy here suggesting that muslims are "the enemy" and then trying to paint any posts that argue with that premise as some kind of hack job - 'cause that smacks of a pretty clear agenda to me.

edit on 27/4/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Sorry nef, but I firmly believe this sort of thing to happen here in varying degrees. Heck, it has been pointed out by Springer publicly before.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If i see a thread (that's been up for a good few hours) that has loads of flags but only 40/50 replies, i wont even bother opening it. I trust the 'majority' of members here to discuss something worth discussing.

That's just how i personally roll, but i totally agree with your point.

People should think before becoming sheeple.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

How sad.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I just love how "Theads" about threads get more Stars and Flags then those of us who actually do a little work...

Basically it's a thread about nothing oh? S&F!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Dude, this is in off-topic chit chat...
Yeah, these threads get flags too.

If you feel but hurt, link me to one of your threads and I will flag it for ya just so you can feel a bit better.
Haha

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

The flag theory on ATS is a more 'mature' version of Facebooks thumbs up "LIKE" option (very juvenile).

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

You apparently haven't put much thought into how this site works.
Luckily enough for ya, I explained the importance of the flag system earlier in the thread.
Read the thread. It isn't very lengthy.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by vethumanbeing

You apparently haven't put much thought into how this site works.
Luckily enough for ya, I explained the importance of the flag system earlier in the thread.
Read the thread. It isn't very lengthy.

Not at all, just an observation outside of your very good explaination box of the flag systems of ATS is very appreciated (do they know this as well?).
edit on 27-4-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rosegaol
reply to post by OpenEars123

How sad.

Yes, terrible isn't it?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You started this for the flags didn't you. Good job.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join