It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does 'That' Thread Have So Many Flags??!! Allow Me To Explain...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Sour grapes from someone who thinks they should be flagged more.

Seriously, there are more important things in life than being flagged on ATS.

ETA - THIS needs to be kept in mind

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW
edit on 27/4/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

Nothing to do with sour grapes, it is an observation I have made over the time I have been here and the OP is my theory.

If you have a poster with less than 10 threads started but close to 1,000 flags, there is something not right, especially when you check out their profile and their threads have next to zero content and many of the replies in the thread are questioning why it has so many flags etc.

My theory, which is perfectly reasonable and logical, is that groups are operating to get discussion going on certain 'topics of interest'.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Perhaps, the flagging method needs to change to reflect merited flags.

Don't allow flags if a comment is not made.

Only one flag per person to be given to the OP's first post only, and no flags for posts other than the OP's first post (this would reflect the genuine interest of the thread, and not to each individual post).

A flag can only be given if a paragraph of a minimum number of lines of comment is submitted. In other words, do not allow flags for post with only one line comments.

Allow moderators to remove flags from posts they deem do not merit the amount they garner through a system of review.

I'm sure they are other methods that could be looked at, the above are just some. Flags should be both earned and merited, and those that give the flag should also work and earn the right to give it. No flag should be given by any member whom does not comment.

Just to make a point, take a cursory look at the following thread I authored...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...somehow, I've managed to garner 7 flags for my first post, but there are only 8 posts (at the time of writing this), 3 of which are my own, 2 belong to a member called 'Rival', and the other 3 are posts by individual members.

I don't flag my own postings, so truly I should have no more than 4 flags at the most for my OP post. Where's the other 3 come from?
edit on 27/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Wonderer2012

I follow what you're saying and while I don't know to what extent such organized efforts occur on ATS, we have seen evidence of such activities in the past in (for example) the 9/11 forums. The tactics there were slightly different but there was a degree or organization involved on the part of some members.

With the speed and various levels of communication available these days, those sorts of efforts are likely inevitable. The thing that concerns me is a point you also made in your last paragraph, where you referred to the "the main current reason for this". I'm glad you made that distinction, because "current" completely changes the perspective of your following comments about "the enemy" being Islam. Personally, I would have preferred a distinction between the religion and those who profess it, but I follow your point.

A couple of weeks back, the MSM were in total feeding frenzy over a very different "enemy" -- namely North Korea. It was the front page here and just about everywhere, it was the main content of the MSM news reports. The US was reportedly moving more assets into the region, Jim Clancy from CNN went over to Seoul to do live updates. Yadda yadda yadda.

The threads on here were numerous, to put it mildly.

Then the Boston Bombings happened and suddenly, NK simply vanished from the front pages of the MSM, and from here as well. For the next week or so it was Boston this and Boston that, and the whole while I was thinking: "But wth is going on in Korea? If it was such a threat, why are we hearing nothing at all now?"

Why? Simple. The MSM have to chase their ratings, for one thing. News is entertainment. It sells. So they foucs on whatever is the hot topic of the moment. It matters not one whit to the MSM if the world is on the brink of a nuclear war (if it really was anyway), they have something happening at home and it's (quote unquote) radicalized Islamic terrorists, so get out there with the news crews and report it 24/7!

North Korea? Who cares?

Oh, and now we get a double-edged sword. We've got Boston, we've got some guys up in Canada who got arrested while planning an attack (and they were apparently Muslim), and just purely by coincidence, they've found a chunk of plane from 9/11 in NYC.

All that is one edge. The other edge? Syria.

Remember them? They never went away. They just got ignored by the MSM for a while. But now, they need them to create the other edge. The enemy of the moment. And as the general public are pretty fed up with the usual Syria stuff, we get a new angle. Now intelligence sources have evidence that Assad's regime are using chemical weapons.

The North Koreans have nukes, and might even be able to launch one on a long-range missile. Might. We don't really know. But the Syrian govt forces have chemical weapons and they've been using them. Well, intellignece says they have evidence and that gets translated to fact graven in stone. You know how it is with the MSM.

Perhaps Boston became a problem? Perhaps there was too much focus on it and too many people were starting to ask some questions? I don't know. Just puttin g it out there and not asserting anything on that score. But maybe some people thought it was time to dig out some other enemies and dust them off and get the MSM focused on them.

So, getting back to here. What threads will come along next? Do some members on ATS just follow along on whatever the MSM media is feeding on at the moment and post new threads only on that? Yes, often that's the way. What else should we do? If we post on something that is not getting any coverage elsewhere, we are lucky if the thread gets a half dozen replies. And let's face it, people like some acknowledgement for their work.

Summary: it's not all sinister. Much of what we see here is a mirror of the MSM's current focus. However, I agree that some threads do seem to get a lot of credit for producing very little.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 27/4/13 by JustMike because: fixed mod coding tags

You make some excellent points, there, I think people will naturally follow what is 'current', I started a thread kind of addressing this very point whilst all the North Korea stuff was on, to me, N Korea was a complete distraction-

What Is Really Around The Corner?

To me, Syria should not be forgotten, I think about it everyday and in a way, my concern helps me tie in the agendas that are apparent which IMO, most fail to see- Syria's chemical weapons propaganda, could it fall into terrorist hands, Chertoff talking about domestic terrorism and chemicals weapons, the desire to justify military intervention, all these things tie in together IMO.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
You should be sorry that you don't know your govt after 11 wars in Afghanistan and call Islam , the enemy.

You are the nation that has most conspiracy on to be ready to get into new actions.

In 2000 , you believe the world si going to end , then you get 9/11 in 2001.

In 2012 you were fed that world is going to end , and you will get the event in 2013.

And despite all the attempts to make you ready for actions , such as movies , you are still supporting the vicious actions of your govt.

I am glad that not many American think like you or the govt should have already started a new ww.

Helping threads

Sheeple defined

American govt , the pressure pot.

+ I almost forgot , I think it is typical of Joe to think that he is in the center of attentions and every one is planing to get to him.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I agree entirely with you op

I keep an eye on all posters and their posts ..............I can't help it..........I'll let you blame the training
If someone makes my spidey sense kick in ill check all their threads, posts, friends, non friends, and even do the same for the posters that debate with/ support/ catch me eye in those threads

And I have noticed an increase of late of what ill describe as insurgents
There has been a few new members that have cought my attention, but more worryingly the return of older members that are anomalous shall we say to their former selves

With the uptick in negative interest in c/t's, the increase in c/t interest since the BB, the increase in media attention in c/t's, certain c/t's being shown to be accurate to a large degree, the EU admitting putting $3M towards a shill/troll army and so on and so on ............it's to be expected ............all we can do is be vigilant
Or is it ?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
If you have a poster with less than 10 threads started but close to 1,000 flags, there is something not right, especially when you check out their profile and their threads have next to zero content and many of the replies in the thread are questioning why it has so many flags etc.

OK. I'll bite.

We don't do public witch hunts here so, instead, send me a U2U showing linking me to one like that, and I'll look into it.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by Wonderer2012

OK. I'll bite.

We don't do public witch hunts here so, instead, send me a U2U showing linking me to one like that, and I'll look into it.

Sent you a message with two examples.

Just to further the point, when this happens, the first few replies to the threads receive an incredible number of stars, even if they disagree- someone is trying to generate interest for that particular thread, it is quite clear IMO.

Example being, 2nd reply is 'wow great video!' and it gets 33 stars or whatever you get the picture

edit on 27-4-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This isn't something that has just started happening over the last six months, as OP suggests. Those that have been here awhile and pay close attention have seen this happening for years now. It gets especially bad around election cycles and during times of tragedy.

Heck, this isn't even the first time this has been discussed.

On certain topics this is just a given in my book. Remember awhile back getting the thread from Springer notifying that it seems ATS had been infiltrated by the Republican National Party? It happens. Interest groups DO flood social network media.

Also, and with utmost respect to the staff and owners of this great site, I am sure there has been times when they too have artificially generated feedback for threads that they want on their front page. And that is their right, as it is their site to do with as they wish.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
About what seems like a year or so ago, while reading through a thread, I came across this little bit of information in the form of a link. Prior to reading it and understanding the implications, you might say that I was 'Ignorant'. That is, a naive person in regard as to the methods used, seemingly invisible, methods used on the many forums or sites we all use.
www.zerohedge.com...

Since the discovery of this article, I am much better aware of the workings in the posts authored here on ATS. As fortune would have it, our Site Owner and representative ATS Mods are keenly aware and do in fact police up these sorts, and that is beneficial to us all.
I don't even know how, I'll admit, to use the 'Flag' option,and it's of little interest to me frankly, but nearly all of us are adept at 'Stars' and how to issue them.
I don't use stars all that much, unless there is really good info , in other words, I don't use it as a "Like" on one of the major Social networking sites were all familiar with. My 'Stars' are given to exceptional content, or if I am considerably impressed with an 'Epiphany type enlightening comment'. I seek no stars, however in my responses rather, I value honest and well thought out dialog, absent from obvious aggressive posturing.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I know what your talking about, the same guy in one of them just drops a video, doesn't even respond to his own thread or posters and disappears. I'm not sure how many accounts there are but I will certainly be keeping an eye out for them now.
edit on 27-4-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I feel it would be almost ridiculous for a site like ATS not to be used by some persons/Organizations to gather data. It is just to perfect for that.

Some sites I visit tell me so and so is looking at such and such page or comment so every persons traffic for what section or article and how much time they spend on it, is shown publicly. I would assume an organized website does track all these things but usually does not show it to us.

I believe peoples interest in certain posts posters, or comments are soured by stars, these persons are allowed several logins so they can star their own comments instantly which causes other people (because this is how we are) to pay more attention to that person/comment and stars follow, so I would think the flagging is similar.

Personally i feel that to hide my opinions due to fear that it is monitoring would be cowardly. Speaking out when you think something is wrong is the only way to keep from all of becoming cowering ghosts and shadows with no say in a world where the leaders cheat us, steal from us and squeeze the life out of us all the while laughing at our fear of them.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
At the end of the day I really have stopped worrying and starting to love the NWO lolz

I don't see TPTB as being smarter or better in ANY way - but they are certainly more focused & determined.

So no matter what anyone does, it's very unlikely that most of us will join the 'elite peak of the pyramid'.

And whatever is convenient to them at any give time will be good or bad (or double plus good or double plus ungood) - so there is no 'safe place' with this lot.

These are my current thoughts on the matter.

Just let it be, worst thing they can do is kill you, if they don't eventually you will die of old age anyway. So no need to excessively worry.

Best course of action is to find your happy place within yourself, repair relations with your families, find some good friends, and learn to take joy in the little things of life which come for free - you can then enjoy life even under conditions of abject poverty and enforced despair. The TPTB will have a hard time stealing that.
edit on 27-4-2013 by rainychica because: --

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
OP search in google "Connecting ATS to the Department of Defense" I can't link the forum website because it's censored by ATS. The amount of censorship on this site is sickening, but anyway, every time you try to link the website in a u2 message or a post, it gets cut out. I'll try to post it here.

The website is called sh1t hits the fan four eleven. Apparently it was a site created when ATS was split down the middle some odd years ago. But the biggest flag that you should catch your eye is the Mods coming and censoring the Sandy Hook threads. They showed there true colors when they pulled that.

But anyway the only reason why I'm on this forum anyway is because of the posters.

Another little thing to end my rant... The star and flag system sucks! Not only can people (shills) create multiple accounts (also ATS like many websites gain more ad revenue when they gain more users) they can obliviously star their own threads and so forth. Another problem with the Star and Flag system is it makes everything so mainstream.

It seems now the "quality" of a thread is dependent on star and flags, and not the actual material. It's really funny to see a mod come in here like a 10 year old and say your just mad because your not getting enough stars. This is something right out of Kindergarten with stars and demerits. Really, really sad.

Just wait, you'll have some poster replying to me saying I'm not happy because I did not receive enough imaginary stars, stars that hold nothing of value other then boosting your online ego and self esteem.

Anyway blah blah /end rant.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Kang69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2013 by Kang69 because: grammar!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Personally, I don't care why 'That' thread has so many flags. I'm just curious as to why the hell 'This' thread has received enough for it to reach the top of the 'New-Picks: Newest Flags' List.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
pehaps we should have two kinds of stars here.
one would be the 'true blue' one that most people would give.
the other would be a blue star with a gold fringe border that the corrupt posters could give each other.
the meaning of this decorated type of star would, of course, never be revealed to the public at hand and only those who are in on it, or have researched things and uncovered it's true meaning, would realize what was going on.

just a thought...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

I think the main problem with the flag/star system, is when we join ATS no one gives us a guideline to why and what to use. it would be nice to say, "If you feel a thread was well thought out and well presented, Flag" "If you agree and/or like the way information was worded and presented in a post, star"

Or whatever would be a reasonable use of the Star?Flag I think a lot of people star people they like whether there is any content there or not and not star persons they often disagree with even if the information is really interesting and well presented.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yah I wondered about a really bland thread with almost no research on the initial topic, just a kind of rant and that thread got so many stars, it did make me wonder who were all these people starring the initial post.

I have not yet created a thread and I've been here a couple years now. I have a thread in mind to create, but I am not going to worry about who stars or flags it, I'm interested in it as an expose on something important, not as a popularity contest.
I'm more of the cage-rattler type. I'm here to talk about the real conspiracy, not sing kumbaya or help build Utopian pie in the sky stuff.
Oh by the way, I love your avatar, and I used that logo on a Power Point Presentation for English class years ago. I embedded the logo on every screen of the Presentation.
edit on 27-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I'm wondering the same about the thread in your signature.

Why? Don't you believe in the NWO? I've encountered a few people here who don't. I just wonder if they thought that all the big players on the public scene who have made public reference to it were just playing around or something.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Actually I've gotta come in on the OP's side on this, I've seen it happen, infact just today there someone who posted "Cool" as their sole response in a thread and got two stars and below it posted "Cool" and got another star, checking his stats he had a surprising amount of stars for someone who'd only just joined - He did get banned almost instantly though.

I've also seen people using the old sock puppet method - make a comment, log out, log in with your alt write a post agreeing with yourself and star it, log out, star the other one and reply, log out reply and star - filling up entire pages of threads with their conversation - we'd call that a cascade attack back in the day and it's a great way to kill a thread!

Playing a system like the one on ATS isn't that difficult, as long as you aren't too blatant you can get away with it, seems a bit weird that people would deny it happens.
- Never really understood why the hell anyone would want too, but then again some people are just naturally obsessive about leveling up

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Springer notifying that it seems ATS had been infiltrated by the Republican National Party

This is very interesting. Why wasn't it thought to be infiltrated by Democrats? Any ideas?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join