It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How many of you got your asses whipped and what was the philosophy of your household?"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Why do I ask this question? What's the point of it? I was asked to start it to see what kind of household and what philosophy the parent or parents had or have and what kind of ass whippins you got.

So I will start of by saying that my folks were non religious. We had no particular philosophy just a moral sense of right and wrong you did not lie, you did not steal, and you did what was asked of you. When I did lie, when I did steal, and when I did not do what was asked of me I got a whippin. No bare ass, no clothes hangers, just with a leather belt and not with the buckle end never had welts or any raised areas of my tail end from the whippins. Did I get a lot of whippins? I will say I got more than a few.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The philosophy in our house was a moderate version of 'spare the rod, spoil the child', we got the belt but not unless we really messed up, truth be told, I'm pretty sure I had it coming everytime I got it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
spankin a day keeps the prison away

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

When I was a child I got 3 spankings... and my mouth washed out with Ivory soap twice...for swearing and being disrespectful. In the household I grew up in you did not swear, you did not yell; you were expected to be polite and respectful. We could discuss anything...but had to be good mannered about it.

By the way... I learned the swearing at school...not a home.

edit on 26-4-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

During my childhood dad was an atheist and mom was pagan- still got raised with the spare the rod and spoil the child philosophy. Had my behind tore up plenty, but it was always followed with a good talk about why I was whipped and there were always hugs and love when it was over.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

oh i had to eat a bar of soup once.. worst thing ever.. nevr swore again.. around my parents atleast lol

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

My harshest whippin came in jr. high from a gym teacher I had done something wrong and got a single swat in my gym shorts with a rather large wooden paddle that a shop teacher had made. It that had holes drilled in it so it whistled when it was swung and stung like nothing I had ever felt before or since.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My husband and I have been talking about how sh*tty kids are today because spankings are no longer allowed. I can remember my father giving me a huge smack once because I hit my little brother with a lunch box. I don't remember him every spanking me again. I also never hit my little brother again.

My mother and all of my aunts were big fans of the wooden spoon. Effective. And most of the time the threat of it was enough.

We have lately decided to break out the soap routine. Haven't had to use it yet but it's on deck.

I think kids today need to learn more respect, not because "authority" is important but because learning to not be a self-centered a**hole is important. Time-outs are a load of crap.

I don't know, corporal punishment has its place when used wisely and judiciously. Unfortunately those terms are subject to interpretation so I guess I support not allowing it. I don't know.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

spankings.. and my mouth washed out with Ivory soap

Yup, here too. Grew up without a father, but my mother was a frightening woman. I always thought of her eyes as shark eyes - cold, uncaring, and threatening.

My mother was put in a nuthouse for couple of years when I was 6 months old. She received electric shock treatments, which burned me completely out of her memory. So, there was no mother-son bonding when she got out; I was her responsibility that she barely tolerated. I did what I was told, and according to her, I liked it.

The philosophy of our household was that I had to serve the master - Mommy Dearest.
edit on 4/26/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

oh i had to eat a bar of soup once.. worst thing ever.. nevr swore again.. around my parents atleast lol

Yes...the taste of Ivory soap is really ucky! To this day...I am very polite and pleasant (most of the time) particularly around people I don't know that well...but once I do get to know someone and I learn to trust them; I can swear if I am in the mood; and all is good.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetstuff
The philosophy in our house was a moderate version of 'spare the rod, spoil the child', we got the belt but not unless we really messed up, truth be told, I'm pretty sure I had it coming everytime I got it.

I KNOW I had it coming every time I got it!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There was no philosophy in my childhood.

And the ass whooping was never about punishment, right or wrong.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetstuff

Pretty much this, in my house.

My parents had a wooden spoon that they named "the brat whacker".
I don't think I ever actually got hit with it, but I always knew it was there. I did get smacked though. I vaguely recall going to my room and plotting to put my parents in an aged care facility in China in their old age.

I seem to have grown up relatively well adjusted though.
Sarcastic as hell, but reasonably well-adjusted

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Hey Jiggerj...one of my favorite people on ATS!...I feel a lot of compassion for the way you had to grow up; but I think you turned out good...which is to your credit.

As time goes on for me in life I do realize how blessed I was in growing up...because in the house I grew up in there was a lot of love, laughter and hugs too; plus forgiveness.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My parents were deeply religious and believed that spanking was God's way.

I have had switches used on my bare legs, belts, paddles, and the good old fashioned swat across the face.

My parents are not monsters and I turned out ok. I havent been in jail yet and I am 44.

Oh, and, I too, deserved every single spanking/smack I received.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I was raised Southern Baptist (that should say enough!)...& haven't set foot in a church for 15 years. My father was a fan of the belt, my mothers weapon of choice was a yardstick. I never got in trouble at school, never in trouble with the law & nothing more than a single speeding ticket 18 years ago. A big problem with kids today is CPS. Kids are told that a swat on the butt is child abuse, we're not allowed to discipline them & they know it so society as a whole pays - figuratively and literally.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

t my folks were non religious. We had no particular philosophy just a moral sense of right and wrong you did not lie, you did not steal, and you did what was asked of you. When I did lie, when I did steal, and when I did not do what was asked of me I got a whippin with a leather belt and not with the buckle end never had welts or any raised areas of my tail end from the whippins. ( Did I get a lot of whippins? I will say I got more than a few.

Pretty much the same bringing up as you describe. " never had welts or any raised areas of my tail end from the whippins"

I did. It still hurts to sit down... or even wear pants. And I'm old now. yikes.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

"spare the rod, spoil the child only the rod was a thick leather belt and many times, it was not warranted or used against the innocent.....or used for stupid shet....

Great. Now I'm pissed all over again.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My mother was loosely religious, but that had little to do with spankings. My set of conditions are not far different than my mothers were.
-Not very often. That way it means more when you do earn them. (I got it so few times, I can still tell you each occasion and what I did to earn it)
-Has to be something that could get the kid or others hurt in some way.
-There is a warning to stop, with the exception of absolutely inevitable injury.
-With my Mom, belts were acceptable, but only the non buckle end. In my home we use open hand only. Open hand can still get the point across, especially if Dad has to do it (an option my mom didn't have)
-Shouldn't leave a mark. I can accept the kind of welts that go down after an hour or so, but not more than that.
-The kid gets a serious talk about why that was unacceptable, and an "I still love you" after it's settled.

Seems to work for us. I haven't (and so far my oldest hasn't) repeated anything that got them that punishment.
edit on 26-4-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I had welts too. They burned and stung and then they would itch as they healed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join