It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever hated your job so much, you despise waking up in the morning...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
and getting ready? Can't take the mental anguish any longer. If it were not for my sig other telling me to hold off until I find something else, I would have said "bye-bye" a long time ago. Have some interest in other companies, hopefully it pans out. I really wonder to what degree the 2 week rule is mandatory? I would never come back...

Anyone else, just say bye-bye one day, and not give a crap?

edit on 26-4-2013 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Every..........single...........day.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes, I used to work for Discount Tire at their corporate office.

Nothing is more sickening than an office environment where your performance is based on how many cupcakes you bring to the pot-luck instead of performance or how they utilized your idea and saved thousands of dollars.

Every day I woke up and counted in my head how much personal time I had left and if it would be justified in using more.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 8:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, [poop], piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ” -Charles Bukowski

edit on 26-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: edited for language

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

God, there are days I come in, and literally want to get on the overcom and tell everyone to kiss me rosey white Irish arse... but I contain myself...

Let me ask this, if you got another job, better than the existing one, and knowing you would NEVER, I mean NEVER go back, would you give 2 weeks? What if your current job had in some ways screwed you over, limited your success? What that make a difference? If not why? What would?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yeah

My last job was hell on earth, I threw up before going to work it was that bad, not the work, I love creating from wood, but the people, if ever there was reason to.............. well you get the idea.

I came home one day and said to Mrs C " I'm sorry love I just can't do it anymore"

The smile on her face, priceless. Sure it was tough for a while,

And guess what ................... No buts

Cody

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've been retired for a year now, but often have bad dreams about work. Even last night, there I was, back in the Lab, trying to do my job under impossible circumstances and demands. PTSD lite?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes! I've done it in my younger days around the age of 23-24 I worked as a Machinist, operating a Water Jet machine... The job was fun, had a shop foreman daddy who wasn't to plesent until I stepped (Professionaly) and he realized I knew something about something.... The Owner on the other hand Fired him after he put in 20yrs... Then I realized that this could be me one day.... The owner's own light started to surface and I realized he was a bigger douche than words could describe.... I left and never came back...

On a real note... It's not really the " right " thing to do as, I think that might be on my permanent record.... But atleast I didn't give him a piece of my mind before I left...
that could~a and would~a been a ugly scenerio indeed...

Sometimes you can put your 2wk notice in and the company will do you the favor and just say, "Hey just don't bother coming back tomorrow" no harm no foul.

So props to your sig other as my fiance is the same way, next to every man should be a woman just as strong to keep them in check... And vice versa~

Cheers~

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I did once and just left for 6 months.
They offered me alot more money so I came back...been here 15 years on the 1st of May.

Its a double edged sword for me...I hate it and i love it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

God, there are days I come in, and literally want to get on the overcom and tell everyone to kiss me rosey white Irish arse... but I contain myself...

Let me ask this, if you got another job, better than the existing one, and knowing you would NEVER, I mean NEVER go back, would you give 2 weeks? What if your current job had in some ways screwed you over, limited your success? What that make a difference? If not why? What would?

Always been told to never burn a bridge. I guess you never know how it could affect you in the long run. For instance, if you needed a reference from that job on a resume, etc.

Wanna know what my father taught me about the last 2 weeks with a job you hate? Go in there and be the best damn employee you can be. Do everything great and set a standard that cannot be met. Then when you leave they will actually miss you and see what they lost.
edit on 26-4-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I remember being pulled together for a meeting and being told in a nutshell that, "this year there will not be any raises, but its so we don't have to do any lay-offs, in this economy we should all be happy for our positions"

The very next day they were remodeling the landscape in front of the building... which they did for the changing of every season.

We didn't get raises for a year and half and when we finally did, they were only 3% which was not even enough to cover for inflation over the time which had passed.

The biggest lie ever told was you need to go to college to be hired. So now, you have millions of 90s kids with degrees looking for jobs in their early-mid twenties. You hire someone, squeeze out all you can until they leave. Right behind them is 10,000 more applicants more than willing to take a job that pays 30k a year... and the cycle repeats.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Always been told to never burn a bridge. I guess you never know how it could affect you in the long run. For instance, if you needed a reference from that job on a resume, etc.

Wanna know what my father taught me about the last 2 weeks with a job you hate? Go in there and be the best damn employee you can be. Do everything great and set a standard that cannot be met. Then when you leave they will actually miss you and see what they lost.

Yea, my father told me the same thing. I guess there is truth in that. ...and I will probably end up doing it the right way, when that day comes. It was just feel so good though, to speak ones mind...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I did say Mmmbye on March 15th this year for several reasons, although not because I didn't like my workplace. There was much discussion with my SO beginning last December, but I didn't tell anyone at work. I walked in, went straight to my manager and said, "I like it here, but I'm tired of the hours. I think I'll resign. Today." And gave her my biggest grin. I typed up a resignation letter and emailed it to her and her manager, packed up the things I cared about at my desk, told my coworkers and left. Before it was even lunch time.

It was glorious. I have no regrets.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Try being a truck driver when you go to bed you're at work, when you wake up still there. This job sucks!

I'm to blame I didn't try my best in school when I went. So guess I'll just keep on trucking...

Don't worry I keep a vigilante eye on every thing while I'm out here, and listen to everyone from
the sheep to the flat out nuts.

Always learning something. Did you know Obama has a secret ninja army! What reason would
a smelly guy at a truck stop have to lie, so it must be true...

Really though the grass always looks greener, you'll just find another reason to be unhappy it's
a human curse.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Most people probably feel that way.

About a month ago there was a thread here on ATS about making some extra money at home, and one of those ideas was to write ebooks. Of course I'd heard of the "kindle" reader from Amazon and similar things from other companies, but I'd never really looked into it until now.
Its big, and getting bigger. ebook sales already outstrip paper versions at Amazon.

And the overwhelming vast majority of writers simply dont know it, and are still focussed on getting deals with the old fashioned publishers that dont provide anything like a proper return for the investment. So, I'm getting into that.

The advantage of ebook writing seems to be...
* that once you've written the book its always on the shelf.
* the size of your audience is continually growing as more people buy readers.
* you get new sales from old books you've written as people finish your new one and wonder what else you wrote
* you can, but dont have to, do anything at all once your book is up for sale. No promotion work.
* your percentage cut of sales is way way higher than traditional publishing.

So... half way through my first non fiction book now, should be on Amazon within 2 or three weeks, and I have another 2 or three ideas ready to go after that. In the blink of an eye I'll be able to retire with truckloads of money coming in.

One idea I missed out on was the "Boston bombings conspiracy diary", where I write a diary following what conspiracy theorists were saying on the net as news filtered in about who was behind the bombings. That would have been a jolly good read.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I had an Uncle that helped raise me with the same advice and I agree and have always given 2 weeks. I would not give them the satisfaction other than thinking I was a model employee, by giving that notice!

I will again soon I hope...
edit on 26-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The two week rule isn't mandatory, in fact, in some industries, it simply isn't done. If you really have no desire to go back there....but, there is always the "don't burn your bridges" maxim. If your boss bodes you no ill will, I'd recommend the two weeks. If it is a toxic environment though, no notice is really no biggie.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

What a great avatar

Man you gotta flaunt that

Cody

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Give your two weeks notice.
Don't burn a bridge.
Often, a company will send you packing the day you give your two weeks, and still pay you for those 2. Depends on the company of course.

I've been with my company for 18 years now. 10 were excellent, 5 were good, last three have been less than ok.
I don't wake up dreading going in very often, every now and then, yes. No raises in about 4 years. But my "benefits" cost more. As does the cost of living in general.

anyway, don;t burn bridges, and give two weeks, no matter how much you hate them.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My last job was like that. I quit in July of last year because every morning I didn't want to get out of bed, watched the clock at work all day, my boss took over my good ideas and projects at work.. I hated every second of it. I spent nearly five years there.

I put in my two weeks, because I'm mostly a dependable person, and that's how I was brought up, but on the third-to-last day I just called in and said I wouldn't be coming anymore.

My job there was fairly vital to the daily operations of the company and was a 12 hour shift. There were literally only enough employees in my position to cover the 24/7 schedule, meaning that you could NEVER call in sick or late. Even using vacation time was incredibly hard. Most of my vacation time rolled over from year to year until I had accumulated so much that it just...went away. They didn't pay it out, the just burned it.

I felt kind of bad about not finishing the last three days, but I knew I would never go back to that company. I didn't need the reference and it felt kind of good to leave them high and dry for a couple of days after all the life they had sucked out of me.

Hope you find something you enjoy. I moved to a job that I love and all of a sudden all of my motivational problems were gone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join