It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another major city has it's streets shut down by FBI and local police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

FBI, local police conducting massive sweep in Oakland, CA

9 People detained in City sweeps

OAKLAND, Calif. — A massive law enforcement sweep was underway in Oakland Wednesday, with nine people having reportedly been detained an hour after it was first reported. FBI agents, local police SWAT and the California Highway Patrol were targeting multiple locations. Several streets were closed down in West Oakland during the sweeps. Portions of Seventh and Eighth streets were shut down in the area for at least 90 minutes and while helicopters circled overhead.

Looks like the Feds are doing a full press assault on city shutdowns... is this the beginning of a trend that many say is coming to a city near you?

The point being, since when does the FBI start sweeping major portions of city streets? First time I've heard of this, normaly it is a single house and ATF or ICE or Marshals do this work, Not The FBI.

Scary to think that this may be our future...

edit on 25/4/13 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sirric

There sweeping houses and not stating why..... No Bueno... I wonder who the detanies were....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I would have to hear why they are doing it to make a decision. Maybe a major drug bust? Who knows.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Methinks your title is a tad misleading...

Several streets were closed down in West Oakland during the sweeps

There's a bit of a difference between an entire city and a few streets...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sirric

I think your thread title is over dramatic. Shutting down a few streets in Oakland is not the same as shutting down an entire city. I believe we need to be wary over things like this happening but lets leave the over-hyped propaganda to the MSM shall we?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirric

FBI, local police conducting massive sweep in Oakland, CA

9 People detained in City sweeps

OAKLAND, Calif. — A massive law enforcement sweep was underway in Oakland Wednesday, with nine people having reportedly been detained an hour after it was first reported. FBI agents, local police SWAT and the California Highway Patrol were targeting multiple locations. Several streets were closed down in West Oakland during the sweeps. Portions of Seventh and Eighth streets were shut down in the area for at least 90 minutes and while helicopters circled overhead.

Looks like the Feds are doing a full press assault on city shutdowns... is this the beginning of a trend that many say is coming to a city near you?

Scary to think that this may be our future...

edit on 25/4/13 by sirric because: (no reason given)

No reason given? Seems sketchy, they should at least give reason, even though I don't agree with them shutting cities down for any reason.
EDIT:Nevermind, temporarily closing streets isn't as bad, but should still have a reason.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Havox because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sirric

It's all starting to make sense now why survivalist information years ago was advising people to get out of the cities. I assumed it was just to avoid the violent uprisings and food riots, but now I'm seeing the real reason.

So what if a few streets are shut down? Sure it isn't all of Oakland, but Watertown isn't all of Boston either.
It's called the Totalitarian Tiptoe or the Nudge Theory. Take away a little bit at a time. Encroach a little bit further. Soon, you'll be all over it and nobody will be rising up to stop you.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
They've done large sweeps for a very long time.

Drugs, gangs....any number of things.

If it disturbs you I guess you could always take the next street over.

link   
reply to post by redtic

Fixed it... Still the FBI should not be doing sweeps.... I should know...

link   
reply to post by Havox

They mention it's ongoing with another street closure incident happening. They also mention that when concluded, they will be happy to explain what happened here.

I'm thinking they really don't want to let everyone in whatever criminal ring they are hitting know all the details about it before they are done with getting everyone they can get before the rest scatter like roaches in the light.

I'll be very interested to hear what brought out such force in a city/state too broke to even respond to burglary calls in many cities these days ...but Oakland is a BAD BAD city even among those considered among the worst to begin with. It always has been the criminal side of the San Fran bay area. S.F. has the glamour and Oakland has the crud that floats across from it.

edit on 25-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

link   
For those folks that are not aware of Oakland; *0% of It is not exactly a good area. Law enforcement sweeps are not uncommon there or in any other bad area. The gang issue in Oakland is huge every day there is a hostage situation as there are a few good folks stuck in that mess. It's no Chicago but it's still pretty nasty.

Not to say they are not going after "terrorists", they may be, because that IMO is exactly what a gang member is.

You should have seen when they went after the Mongols biker club... They have been doing large warrant sweeps for years. Get all 20 gang members at once! I for one am way ok with this type of effort as I am tired of worrying about "terrorists" as I have have been jumped by gangs or gang members several times over the years.

I worry far more about gangs than I ever worried about Muslim extremists.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by sirric

It's all starting to make sense now why survivalist information years ago was advising people to get out of the cities. I assumed it was just to avoid the violent uprisings and food riots, but now I'm seeing the real reason.

So what if a few streets are shut down? Sure it isn't all of Oakland, but Watertown isn't all of Boston either.
It's called the Totalitarian Tiptoe or the Nudge Theory. Take away a little bit at a time. Encroach a little bit further. Soon, you'll be all over it and nobody will be rising up to stop you.

Cities are terrible places to be in any disaster. Even minimal events clog traffic, and cause mass panic.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
They've done large sweeps for a very long time.

Drugs, gangs....any number of things.

If it disturbs you I guess you could always take the next street over.

No you are mistaken

The ATF or DEA does sweeps, NOT The FBI

This is huge!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Even though this is just streets, how can they do this without a reason?
Don't they have to have warrants or something?

This does seem very odd.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Dude, it's OAKLAND.

They probably do this on a weekly basis given the amount of crime in that area.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

...the participating departments were not at liberty to discuss what the action concerned. However, those agencies would be able to release details when the sweep was over.

With the way the media reports everything in real time, potentially tipping off suspects, I'm okay with not knowing the purpose of the operation until it has concluded.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I believe this is the same story?

OAKLAND -- Dozens of police, SWAT officers and FBI agents converged Wednesday night to serve 16 narcotics and weapons warrants around the East Bay, most of them in Oakland.
Oakland police spokeswoman Officer Johnna Watson said 13 of the warrants were served at Oakland locations and the other three in Hayward, San Leandro and Antioch. The operation concluded about 1 a.m. Thursday, she said.
Multiple arrests were made and weapons and drugs seized, but suspect information and details were not released. No injuries were reported and force wasn't used by officers, Watson said.

www.mercurynews.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oakland has a lot of drug and gang problems. It seems that those two often go together.

I'm guessing this was a gang roundup. They do these on a somewhat regular basis. It's is a full court press against some very bad people.

I don't think that this is shutting down a city and doing random searches.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

So, they were severing warrants then, thanks for the info.

No biggie then.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
reply to post by sirric

I think your thread title is over dramatic. Shutting down a few streets in Oakland is not the same as shutting down an entire city. I believe we need to be wary over things like this happening but lets leave the over-hyped propaganda to the MSM shall we?

Slippery slope. They have people cheering for shutting down Boston, then they shut down a few streets in CA, next it's a couple blocks somewhere else. Soon it becomes a common occurrence to shut down major parts of cities in an effort to fight crime.

Eventually, roadblocks and dividers are set up during sweeps. The city is broken down into sections/zones. Military tactics are being used in civilian living centres.

Hell, look at the picture in the OP. It looks like a foreign hot zone of military action. 12 guys hanging off an armoured SUV...

But hey, the Federalis in Mexico do it, why not everywhere?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join