It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another major city has it's streets shut down by FBI and local police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Screw Oakland?

I'm a long time lurker of ATS and enjoy reading what other people have to say. I've never felt compelled to respond but when someone wants to talk smack about my city and our residents...it gets me mad. Why? It is because of ignorant people like you who think they have the right to go jawing off since you're behind a computer.

You say you lived in Vallejo and knew people from Oakland. I am from Oakland, born and raised. Many say I live in the "ghetto", but I call this home. So don't disrespect my home and it's residents if you aren't from around here.

How would you have turned out if you've witnessed shootings or have seen dead bodies at an early age? What about walking home with the aroma of different drugs swirling in the air while being harassed by drug addicts and fiends? What if you came from nothing and wanted to provide for your family the only way you knew how? The education system in Oakland is horrible and the most of the teachers don't care. Shootings and sirens are normal every day occurrences for anyone that live in violent neighborhoods. Heck, it even trickles out into the nicer part of town once every so often.

What I don't get is how you can overgeneralize based on your experience in Oakland. You don't know each and every one of the residents in Oakland so please, think before you say something disrespectful sitting behind the computer. We all know you don't have the balls to verbally express your feelings in front of Oakland residents. If you did, I'd even purchase you a one way plane ticket and drop you off on Seminary or International. What about the 20's or the 90's? Why don't you ask them if they know what "plausible deniability" means. I'm pretty sure they'll be more than happy to show you.

Sure, there are many people in Oakland who deserve to be locked up and have the key thrown away, There are criminals and murderers that make Oakland a very dangerous place, but there also people with pride and integrity that reside in this city. People who live a simple life and don't ask for much. People who have the misfortune of being in a financial rut their who lives. Mothers, fathers, sons and daughters gather on the streets for festivities just like any other city. We have community outreach programs as well as people that give back to the city on a consistent basis.

You did make me laugh though... participate in door to door sweeps? Cowards like you only find strength in numbers and anonymity.

Oh, and by the way... I have a college degree from a UC and I'm on my way to graduate school. I may speak ebonics and have a "ghetto accent", but I am no fool. I may dress in urban clothing, but so do rich kids growing up in the hills. I may look like a thug and swear excessively, but I do work with kids in my community during my spare time. Don't mistake me for something I'm not when you see me hanging out at the local taco truck enjoying myself. You simply cannot judge a book by it's cover. That would be ignorant. Even though you may have changed your tune slightly a few posts later, martial law is something that should not be imposed upon the people of the United States.

I truly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my eyes, your way of thinking is flawed and if you continue believing what you believe about Oakland, then you sir are nothing but an "oozing fester on the back of humanity".

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Goodness... now I know what a large group of anonymous internet users are capable of! I feel a little sick...

For the majority of threads, I usually just lurk because it seems like everyone knows much more about the subject than I do... but having used to live in the Bay Area, after reading this thread I can't help but realize-- with all due respect-- how many people in actuality have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I was going to be more harsh, but I decided against it, because Oakland DOES get a pretty bad rep in the media.

Indeed, there are some parts of Oakland that are horrible, and a lot of senseless violence occurs... but some of you guys are making this out like its City of God in Brazil or something. No you really don't need body armor to drive through the city. No, police don't get regularly sniped. Why on earth would they do that? Police are the biggest gangs in the country. To see what happens when you murder police, please refer to Chris Dorner and the Boston bomber.

One thing about Oakland is it is HUGE. It is way bigger than San Francisco. And like most big cities, there are good areas and bad areas. There are neighborhoods in Oakland with multimillion dollar mansions with gorgeous views overlooking the bay. Other areas, like Lake Merritt are very diverse and cool parts of town-- in Lake Merritt you will see young people jogging, families with dogs walking around the lake, old ladies relaxing on the bench feeding ducks etc. every single day. But I guess they're all felons too right? And there are other areas, like deep east Oakland, that you probably shouldn't take an evening stroll by yourself at night. San Francisco is actually like that in a lot ways too, by the way. There are some areas in SF that make me more nervous than many neighborhoods in Oakland.

Oakland is also noted as one of the top cities for tech startups. Pandora, your favorite streaming radio station, has its HQ right in downtown Oakland, right near Ask.com's towering building...Pixar is right next to Oakland over in Emeryville. But yeah, this war zone needs martial law declared immediately right?

Some of the comments here are borderline racist (flush out the whole city? Like its residents are merely vermin or something?), but I won't call anyone racist because no one will ever admit to being racist. But for all of the closet racists out there, you'll all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Oakland is rapidly gentrifying, because the rent in San Francisco is now as high as Manhattan. Many SF residents are moving to Oakland, entire areas are being remodeled and poorer residents are being kicked to the curb, forced to relocate.

With all that said, I'm all for police busting up drug operations, because it is true a lot of the violence happens over the drugs. But let's also not forget that this is just one piece of the puzzle in a larger dialogue about the war on drugs in general, and very real conspiracies such as the crack epidemic that devastated many communities in the 80s, including Oakland. This man hits the nail on the head about the war on drugs:

edit on 26-4-2013 by solarjetman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So they need a warrant to come into your house, whether there's an emergency or not. Yet they can just shut down full city blocks and launch 'sweeps' on multiple locations? Without an explanation to the public there should be outrage over in CA over this nonsense. I mean if they did get warrants, that should be released right away, i mean its just going to get freedom-of-information-act'd by some reporter in a week anyway. It started in Boston with these warrant less searches, and now its quickly escilading across the nation... watch out when you see them rolling through your town.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Shhhhhh! You can't talk about the failed war on drugs, sooner or later you'll get a warning from a mod saying your discussing personal drug use!

But yes, legalizing ALL drugs expect maybe meth would end 50% of the crime in the States, and it would also bring down the Mexican Cartels, since the US is their biggest customer. But # that idea, let's continue to drink beer and smoke cigarettes, the two drugs combined that kill over 400,000 people a year, that's more then all illegal drugs combined, (and that's not even including prescription drugs).

It's also a hilarious case of double think too because most people would agree that the prohibition of alcohol didn't work, and created crime. And now we have the prohibition of Cannabis, a herb that can't kill you (It's impossible to overdose) and because it's illegal, we are only fueling the Mexican Cartels. Not only that, but since it's now just getting somewhat state legalized for medical use, were finally starting to see the medical benefits of Cannabis. And guess what! You don't even have to get high to receive the medical benefits! THC is only of the few Cannabinoids in Cannabis, there are a multitude of others including CBD and CBN, which don't get you high, but provide you with the medical benefits.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kang69

Absolutely! You've outlined the scenario well and what a conundrum it is!
I believe meth is one of the main drugs that needs to be cracked down on, but the cops can't do this while they're searching for "evil" marijuana users. What other drug can you think of that is just as destructive to use as it is to make?
In all honesty, if the cops ever shut down whole streets, it should be because they've discovered a meth lab.
I also feel strongly about real estate agents having to disclose that a house was used to make meth. I've heard horror stories about people purchasing homes, then getting sick and have to move. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that it costs upwards around $15,000 to clean the meth residue out of a home.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
They didn't just close down Boston, they were taking people out of their houses in Watertown at gunpoint, and searching the houses without warrants....totally illegal and no one batted an eye.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tmeister182

I'd like to see all the arrest reports for that day.
Is there a way of searching Watertown records to see who was arrested and why or does it take a month or so to get that info up on the internet?
I guess this would be the place to look, but I don't see where you can search by date.
www.mass.gov...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sirric

You are mistaken...Rico act is federal...back to your bunker

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They are probably bringing down the Hells Angels or some other organized crime syndicate.

Its Oakland, what else is going on in Oakland?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
reply to post by sirric

I think your thread title is over dramatic. Shutting down a few streets in Oakland is not the same as shutting down an entire city. I believe we need to be wary over things like this happening but lets leave the over-hyped propaganda to the MSM shall we?
Okay. anything else to add?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sirric

-UNLIKE- BILL/COOPERS ARTICLE ON SILENT WEAPONS FOR QUIET WARS -ECONOMIC- IN NATURE YES SOMETIMES THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX IS NOT ONLY DEPPRESING -DEPENDING APON YOUR CURRENT FISCAL / REALITY - BUT ALSO RISKY 4 THOSE THAT SEEK 2 BRING MORE ATTENTION 2 WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON AND HAS BEEN 4 SOME TIME NOW ! IT COST COOPER HIS LIFE ! (SADLY) RESEARCH OR READ THE FOLLOWING LITRATURE -THE LONG WAR AGAINST GOD DR,HENRY MORRIS- 2# GRANT R JEFFRIES -FINAL WARNING- 3 # -THE END TIMES PROPHECYS IN THE 1611-KJV OF THE BIBLE , AS WELL AS SEVERAL BOOK,S BY LYNDON LE ROUCH - AND -U- WILL START 2 REALLY GETT IT ! THER ARE SEVERAL OTHER AUTHORES AND ARTICLES AS WELL AS JULIAN ASANGES -WIKI / LEAKS -(BUT AT THIS POINT DO NOT REALLY WHANT TO RISK ANY-MORE TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS TWITTER@MAVERICK192658

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

YES-RICO IS FEDERAL KUDOS/2 YOU SIR ! : ) AND AGAIN HAVE AGREAT DAY IN THIS SOVEREIGNLY/GOVERNED COUNTRY THAT SO MANY HATE AND WOULD LOVE TO PULL DOWN GOD-BLESS

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ENIGMA58

wtf, can you please say something that further eludes to the message your trying to convey so we can at least have some sort of idea of what your saying?

Believe it or not im actually interested but i dont care to look up everything you just said because i dont have anything to go on.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

He's telling us that we need to lay low. There is a war on alternative thinkers who are trying to tell others what's going on.
Just research Bill Cooper and the others he mentioned. It will start to make sense to you.
Although some of us, including Bill Cooper and others, know what we're up against and are willing to put our lives on the line to fight for truth and justice. Just be smart about it and don't fall for any traps the opponent sets.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oakland: Where even the college kids speak Ebonics and dress saggy. Lol, thanks for feeling all "disrespected" it kinda goes to prove my point. Oakland is a cesspool.

The only reason those big companies are there is the proximity to computer talent (poor commuters) and the mega tax breaks for being based there.

Oakland is a cesspool. And it ain't just a color thing. Stupid is rampant everywhere.

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

You'll be lucky if you make it out to college if you're from Oakand.

And us college kids from Oakland may speak ebonics, but not all of us sag nor do we resemble that picture you posted up.... All of my friends wear their pants at our waist. What is the point of showing your underwear like that? Most people do not even know where sagging your pants originated from..

I would have to agree that Oakland has more than its fair share of senseless violence and a HUGE drug problem, but if we want to talk about the drug problem...well it goes beyond Oakland and its issues.

Why is it acceptable for middle and upper class college kids to dress like they are from the "hood"? When they do it, it is a "style". If you're poor and dress like that then you are automatically labeled a "thug". It's funny... when I was in college I had kids coming up to me asking me about the dangers of Oakland. They would tell me they don't have the balls to go over there, yet they mimic our speech and style. Hell, many of them even say the "N" word after every sentence.

This is not a direct shot at anybody....but my point is this... How can you judge and speak on something you have not experienced? Come live in our city. Throw the keys to the beemer away. Drive a beat up car. Breather our air. Eat our food. Get to know our people. Speak on something you truly have experienced before you make up your minds on a city such as Oakland. It truly is a beautiful city once you learn to experience it all.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Oakland Sheriff's department are spineless to allow warrant-less search and seizure by the feds. This is a direct violation of the constitutional rights of the republic. They are nothing more than a bunch of raider cowboys at this point.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Some major errors have been made letting it get so out of control as it is today. There needs to be an integration of the high risk, at risk youth and active anti-social people in the state. They need to be intermixed with prosocial people and drop the believed "ownership" ideals that seem to take precedent in areas like that.

I don't think this has ever worked out well.

I believe that the people that want to escape that kind of place should have the opportunity to escape. They are the ones who will benefit the most and helping them get away from it will encourage their future generations to be part of "positive" society as well.

The people who thrive in that environment (ie the ones who are actually the problem) will simply bring the same mindset with them where ever they go. They will infect whatever nice area they move to; the people who made that area "nice" will start to move on as a result and within a generation or two you have a new ghetto just like the old one.

Originally posted by bonchoIf 25 people or so harass, abuse and control residents in one single high-rise unit is easy for them to claim ownership of that unit and the surrounding block. However, if there are only one or two people with this mind frame in each high-rise in the city, it's much harder to assume a subversive authoritarian role essentially laying claim to that building and/or block.

Absolutely not. Those "one or two" people will simply dominate the place because... well, because they can, because there is no competition. The UK is full of examples of relatively calm areas being overrun by a single feral family making life a misery for everyone.

Your idea is to drop a fox into a chicken coup and hope it acts like a chicken. It won't, it will act like a fox in a chicken coup.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Too many replies to respond to at this point, I do appreciate all the discussion even if some were red-herring and ad hominem attacks. We all know who you are, so no need to point you out.

Sufficient to say this city lock-down has now started to spread from Boston to Oakland, now Valley Springs Search on after child's death in Valley Springs

Residents in the area were advised via Reverse 911 and other mass notification systems to lock their doors and report suspicious activity to the Calaveras County Sheriff's Office. Investigators ask anyone who sees someone in the area matching the man's description to call 911 immediately.

Philadelphia told to be ready for 3-day detentions:

City Of Philadelphia Advises Residents On What To Do If Ordered To ‘Shelter In Place’

First and foremost, the city says residents should be prepared to shelter in place for at least three days, which means stocking supplies like medications, food, batteries, drinking water, flashlights and more inside of an emergency kit. And if a shelter in place order is issued, you and your family should go indoors immediately with all doors and windows locked and your fireplace damper closed.

All the while Stockton, CA is now developing a Marshall Plans for Bankruptcy

Recommendation that the City Council direct staff to : 1) facilitate community meetings to discuss the recommendations in the report and solicit citizen input; 2) to budget properly in FY 13 - 14 for the continuation of Ceasefire and the Marshall Plan Committee discussions; 3) after receiving community input, return to Council with final recommendations along with a financing plan for implementation that is in coordination with bankruptcy negotiations.

Yep, We are living in the land of the free and home shelter of the brave!

edit on 28/4/13 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
just came across this page on facebook, www.facebook.com... not sure of the credibility but since am in L.A I'll be keeping an eye on this

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join