It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Beauty Being Manipulated?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder though.

The MSM version of beauty is no where near what I perceive it to be.

Why some rich white Hollywood girl? Is that beautiful??

Also, trying to identify ONE beautiful woman on the planet has got to be the most materialistic thing we do in western society. All women are "beautiful" in one way or another as the old adage goes..

This tries to make our natural selection a competition.

You are absolutely right. Whoopi Goldberg might be hard on the eyes, but she's earned my respect as a decent and talented human being. And, that makes her beautiful to me.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by jiggerj

Anyone who uses make up and fancy clothing should be disqualified... Let's take off all their masks and see how beautiful these idols actually are. Nothing more beautiful than natural beauty

If we're going that way, then I'd have to say my ex-wife. Without make-up that evil woman had glowing skin.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
Look at us....

What are we doing? This is ATS.

Have we lost our minds?

LMAO!

Hey, it's a conspiracy to change the way we think about women!

History remembers Cleopatra as an ancient beauty. This might not be so. According to an article from ABC News, this queen was short, fat, and plain-looking. So, somewhere in history our idea of beautiful and sexy must have changed. Cleopatra

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Mmmm.... Sean Connery....

Ha! I remember an interview he did where he ADMITTED that women needed to be occasionally slapped. Still thinking Mmmm?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I can think of many beautiful lady's but the one that catches my eye is Salma Hayek..Salma is the daughter of a Spanish mother and Lebanese father she has a very exotic look..
I believe Confucius was right, and we would all do well to try and see the beauty that exists in every living thing.peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Beauty is a strong bone structure that's wrapped with symmetrically proportionate features, thereby echoing vitality.

Is Beauty Being Manipulated? Every [expletive] day. Grooming is to make attractive, and they're grooming the natural look to make it seem new and attractive. Manipulation? Yes. Sinister? No.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Oh, no...I haven't seen her in Oz. PLEASE tell me that her turning green isn't going to turn me off to my beloved Mila forever! LOL. Seriously, though...I have a HUGE girl crush on her. Did you see her in Black Swan? To die for...as twisted as it was, LOL.

Demi Moore has never struck my fancy. And she had short hair in her heyday...and I'm against short hair on women, it's just not pretty to me. Mila and Megan just get to me because I have a thing for dark hair and pouty lips and big eyes...but hey, who doesn't like all of that on a woman, right? I've never noticed their skull shape but they do have lovely bone structure...high cheekbones and all.

P.S. Ever checked out Alison Brie? VERY pretty.
edit on 4/24/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

I think it's pretty sinister to womankind on the whole to make them believe that they have I look a certain way and subscribe to certain standard of beauty to be deemed worthy. I think that, in a way, it is a conspiracy of the most sinister kind in that the feeling of not being beautiful can kill a woman from the inside out, shattering her self-esteem and confidence and giving her constant anxiety about her appearance and whether she's as good as her peers based solely on her appearance, distracting her from the beautiful woman she is in her own right without ever having to look like the nameless face and body on the cover of Vogue.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by NightGypsy
Look at us....

What are we doing? This is ATS.

Have we lost our minds?

LMAO!

thats exactly what i was thinking! We now have the question " is gweneth paltrow beautiful" on the recent posts page. ON THE RECENT POSTS!
Guys have you forgotten what we are? we're paranoid, geeky, ufo spotting nutters. this is not a site for celebrity watching.
Now thats enough, put the foil hats back on.

For the record i dont think Gweneth is beautiful at all.
I just bit, aargh im such a hypocrite.

Come on now.....Gweneth would look Fabulous to the people here if she was wearing a tin foil hat.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

I think life itself sets the standards and they simply market it.

But your view is okay too.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

You're so right-my 15yo daughter,who's got a sweet,pretty face and gorgeous hair,seems to think she's not at all attractive,because she's not "skinny enough".I showed her this vid,to put things in perspective.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

That's a GREAT video to put things in perspective. I truly hope and pray that your daughter realizes how beautiful she is, along with every other girl in the world. Personally, I had low self-esteem issues for years and to be perfectly honest, I still have them from time to time now when my logic and reason seem to be malfunctioning for the day, LOL. In all seriousness, though...it is so sad and so wrong to know the years of insecurity that so many girls and women suffer through due to this campaign to deceive women as to their true value and beauty. I've been (and sometimes still am) a victim of it but have gotten old enough to usually know better. It's the beautiful young women like your daughter, Raxoxane, that I worry so much for and that my heart breaks for...they are gorgeous inside and out and so many of them never see that and suffer because of this ridiculous "standard of beauty" shoved in everyone's faces all day, every day.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Ummm don't you mean JESSICA SIMPSON instead of JENNIFER SIMPSON????

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
If you want to see beauty, go into the garden, kneel down and look closely.

Give thanks for your eyes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You are given your consensus-opinion by these magazines.

You look at women with magazine-eyes and see a similar woman...

and declare her to be the most beautiful,

because she looks like the magazine's most "attractive",

but more to your chromatic preferences...

.....but you're wrong.....

This is the most beautiful woman in the world...

Tfw.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Everything is manipulated and everyone manipulates. We are here to interfere. Use your illusion. The whole universe is a conspiracy within a conspiracy. That being said, some people could stand to use a bit less makeup.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Sorry, your all wrong....
The most beautiful girl in the world is.......

My daughter

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Of course beauty is being manipulated.

Cellulite was pretty much unheard of until Vogue magazine in the 1960s.

Adverts promote the idea that not only is ageing bad, and 'ugly', but that you should 'stop' it by using ant-ageing cream. Just stop being old, for god sake... ew.

Adverts promote that hair colours will take away 100% grey hairs, again telling us very subtly that ageing, grey hairs should be covered (AND OUR PRODUCTS WILL DO JUST THAT!)

Every womans magazine tells you that you're beautiful the way you are, yet will be almost cover to cover with stories about who has gained weight, who has lost weight, which diet is working for who now, who looks fat because they have had a baby, "Who wore it best?", fashion faux pas, make up advertisements, surgery advertisements.

Stop laughing, stop smiling, you'll get wrinkles. Don't be ashamed of your wrinkles (but hide them with this cream)...

Try this diet, Sue McGoo from Singers R Us lost 100 lbs in 3 weeks and YOU CAN TOO! *dazzle dazzle*

Painfully photoshopped pictures of young women in teen magazines, of actresses from young adult television...

Everywhere we are inundated with the notion that as we are, we FAIL at being beautiful, we should aspire to look like so and so...

Articles in womens magazines in which they've asked mens opinions on make up and thigh gaps and all sorts.

"Men prefer women with the natural look." You're not wearing make up? Ew... "But this is the natural look" Well we don't mean that... we mean we want you to look like you're not wearing make up, but actually wear it... We want to think that you don't actually have to try so hard to look good... but just look good... yeah? Good...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by andypb

As I said, you are absolutely right.

And you are the most beautiful man in her eyes.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

"Men prefer women with the natural look." You're not wearing make up? Ew... "But this is the natural look" Well we don't mean that... we mean we want you to look like you're not wearing make up, but actually wear it... We want to think that you don't actually have to try so hard to look good... but just look good... yeah? Good...

When "the natural look" becomes a style of make-up,

then we really have arrived at some sort of science-fiction parody of reality.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well yes, beauty is being manipulated. But it's not a conspiracy.

We do it ourselves. In the past it was larger maternal women, then buxom, then hourglass,
then cute, then blondes, then sultry, and even gauntly slender. For men, it was hairy, or bald
or, or pasty and thin, or tanned and muscled.

Each generation has different idea.

For me personally...I'll Catherine Zeta in a pink thong bikini and high heels holding a
martini.....shaken....not stirred

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join