It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if you woke up tomorrow and government was gone?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have been to a place the had no Gov and lots of guns. It was called Somalia. As long as you do not mind mass starvation, mass murder, mass rape, mass chaos and warlords it is a great way do things.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Everything in this thread is already happening people...

Factionalism exists in every government and corporation on the planet

The strong already group together with guns, and in other terms, contracts that 'force' you and I to obey.

Seriously, all of your fears are already recognized, only at a much slower pace.

I fully agree. I think its a natural evolution of things-

Things will either de-evolve and slowly get back to local power, less centralization and a more Constitutional government (I feel is unlikely) or we head into the most technologically advanced slavery nightmare (but a slavery which could appear very colorful and 'shiny' for some) the World has ever seen.

-Between the two, most possible outcomes- I would prefer the Government does not collapse overnight. It would be the worst outcome since civil rights would no longer get 'lip service" and any chance to change/slow things down will be impossible.

-Things do not look good either way. Things will break down in time- If we can recognize this we could potentially make the collapse a benefit and get back to the intentions of the Constitution and nation - if it all comes apart at once - Its going to be very bad, and most of us here will watch our families and friends die before we too are killed or captured in a violent and terrifying new World.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
id be pretty stoked

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Give up wasting time thinking about it.

1. It aint going to happen
2. People would panic without it anyway
3. All you're doing is feeding the frenzy on this site.

edit on 24-4-2013 by MadMax7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Really we are doomed to inept leadership because the very concept of leadership invites power and power invites people who have limited ability to deny its pleasures for themselves. If you take away the mechanisms that enable politicians and let the people run free then eventually amongst the chaos will rise leaders just the same. At some point not far down the line these leaders will begin to enjoy the trappings of power and the process will begin once again.

The pleasure by the way is the ability to impose your will on others because you think you are right. Wealth is a product of power, not power itself.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I would find it interesting purely from a anthropological viewpoint to see the differences between Mogadishu and Surbiton, Western Europe after a year or two of anarchy. I have a feeling that Surbiton would be a far more desperate place.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Whether government or not. There will ALWAYS be a 'higher' power to govern/rule over the masses. It is in our nature.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

If all government was gone - that would suck. If all government outside of military, police, and courts were gone - that would be awesome.

Protect our basic rights and nothing more. I truly believe that people would get along much better without a government pitting groups against each other.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I would think that they cashed in on us all do to the debt we owe.....would be thinking to myself at that moment...I bet they all went to Rio and are sipping fine champagne whilst we sit in the mainland preparing for black rain. All the while jamming out to the song life is just a fantasy by Aldo Nova.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What would your response be?

Go out and trade,barter for some machine guns,grenades then go back home and test out my new "toys".

That would most certainly bring a smile to me.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Maybe the op can explain WHERE he sees "anarchy" in their official logo

Talk about starting a thread based on false arguements.

And I am not even a libertarian. I like the constitution party much more. I am more statist than libertarian but much less statist than either democrats or republicans. Republicans are not for small government and by now everyone should have figured it out. They only want a small welfare state and lots of guns and a big military. The democrats on the otherhand are liberal in everything including wars and corporate bailouts.

Fact of the matter is that we have way too much statism and it is mismanaged to hell. The elites have invested in america and hijacked the tv controller so that you can't change the channel. really that simple.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If the federal government were to dissolve, then government would have to fall to the individual states of the union. It is theoretically possible. But the cost would be high and there are several hurdles that would have to be overcome.

First and most importantly, there would be no more regulated National Economy. All the money you have ever made would be worthless. Each state would have to create and distribute a new currency which may or may not be recognized as legitimate by other states. Unless all 50 states got together and decided on a standard currency much like what the Euro did for eastern Europe. Or continue using the old US dollar. But then how do you keep one state or another from just printing out as much as they want and crashing the new economy?

There would be no National Defense. Such defense would have to rely solely on state regulated militias. That also means no missile and air defense unless these systems are kept operational by the states where they are located.

There would be no US Postal Service unless these duties were absorbed by each individual state.

There would be no Social Security. Which means no retirement unless you rely solely on a 401K or Roth IRA retirement plan. And that is assuming that the company you work for will still have any funds to give you when you retire.

No more welfare system. No welfare checks. No unemployment benefits. No food stamps. Nothing. Unless this systems is absorbed by each individual state.

No more federally funded Research and Development projects. Which means to weapons research and also no scientific or medical research unless it is funded by the state.

No more federally mandated minimum wage or worker's rights. Unless it is absorbed by each individual state.

No more department of Veterans Affairs. And no VA hospital. So young Corporal So-and-so who lost both his legs in the war will have to rely on a standard hospital for care, if he can afford it.

No more federal funding for road and bridge projects. Here in Idaho, we need about 500 million per year to keep improving our roadways. About 300 million of that is solely the cost of maintaining what we already have. Without federal assistance, state taxes would have to go up. That is a higher tax on gas, sales and vehicle registration.

No more Food and Drug Administration. Which means that any corporation could put whatever they wanted into the food or drug products they sell, regardless of what the side effects or addictiveness may be. What do they care as long as they are sucking money out of you.

No more Department of Agriculture. Which means no more crop subsidies for farmers. No forest service maintaining our national parks and reducing fire hazards. And no plant or animal inspections to curtail disease and maintain quality.

No more international relations. No treaties, negotiations or trade other than whatever the corporations feel like importing or exporting.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well, if your wanting a practical answer, if there was no government, say goodbye to post offices, fire departments, prisons, police, healthcare, banks, etc. On top of that, people who are getting unemployment checks, food stamps, or any other government aid system, will be screwed.

So, if there was no government tomorrow, it'll be the wild west all over again. The whole country would be in chaos, and people are going to start doing some pretty hefty things in order to survive. Doesn't sound very good to me.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Id be jumping for joy because we wouldn't have any leaders making rules to stop the americans from cleaning house. return to sender the haters

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
No government at all would be a bad thing. I think local and state government is highly important! Think of how crime would soar without the local PD? Federal government sure, I could see doing away with it, but not local and state. I'd go get myself a few guns for personal protection for sure.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think many here have it about right. The raping, killing and looting would commence almost at once. Think about Katrina or even the L.A. Riots after the first day....when the general population inside the perimeter realized it was a free for all zone the cops weren't entering for any reason for awhile. Oh, that sure set the party to going.

I think it would then go one of two ways. The nation would break up all the way down to fiefdoms of county level size in some areas ...while generally fighting or ready to fight each other for the territory, or another Government would form up with an opening phase of law and order so extreme, Dirty Harry would seem like a marshmallow by comparison.

Personally? I think I'd take my fun with everyone else while the fun phase lasted ...and as I headed to a place I checked out and chose a long long time ago, far from power grids and human habitation. No place would be entirely private, but I'll take a few fellow 'outback jack' types braving the deep timber over anything like a town or city. When the shortwave indicates the killing has stopped and things stabilize? I'd consider rejoining the new rat race that replaces the old one.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I know this is going to sound bad and I might get bashed for it, but I believe that if there was no power structure that there where there are men, there would be men striving for power and control over others. Even without a government structure there are people who lead/control and those who follow. The current government would only be replaced with someone strong enough to control the masses, and god only knows how horrible that would turn out.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Its called, "growing balls". If.the government was gone, the economy would.be too. A lot of people would die. Survival of the fittest is the way of the world. It would not be happy, but thats okay. At least it would be real.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Its called, "growing balls". If.the government was gone, the economy would.be too. A lot of people would die. Survival of the fittest is the way of the world. It would not be happy, but thats okay. At least it would be real.

That seems a bit short sighted! No local government means no local police and there certainly are not enough people out there protecting the average person from the criminals more than willing to do horrible things. Criminals going uncontrolled hardly seems like 'growing balls' and I don't know many men who would stop them unless they were at direct risk themselves of their family were at immediate risk.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
No government at all would be a total disaster. No government means no laws, or law enforcement. So right there you can throw the idea of personal property out the window. Your property will only be yours only as long as you are able to keep it by force. And the fact is the guys that can provide food and shelter, will happily be arming people to take what you think is yours to make it theirs.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join