It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing "Bibleman"! And a host of other kid-oriented indoctrination tools

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You may experience true terror and grief when the christians are finally proven right.

Spoken like a true fundamentalist.
After all, "true terror and grief" is what the biblical god is all about.

I am a fundamental christian and I would never ridicule or mistreat you. After some of the things that I have read,I would simply ignore you and shake the dust from my feet.

You say you wouldn't ridicule or mistreat her, but you would condemn her to judgement, and testify against her to God by the very action you mention from scripture. Again spoken like a true fundamentalist. At least you are consistent.

Matthew 10:14

14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!

Luke 9:4

4 “Whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. 5 And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

edit on 4/25/2013 by Klassified because: ETA

edit on 4/25/2013 by Klassified because: redaction

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by wildtimes

You may experience true terror and grief when the Christians are finally proven right.

Maybe, but which Christians will be proven right? The ones who represent the lowest common denominator, or the initiates of unorthodox minorities? Or both? Neither?

Maybe Brahmanism is the one true religion. If Brahmanism is true all the other religions can be true too. Everyone would be in for a pleasant surprise. No one would be subjected to pointless terror and grief.

Wouldn't that be nice?

edit on 25-4-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by guitarplayer

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" was a phrase I heard often during my childhood as justification to beat and bruise me with a belt.

I would say that just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Landover Baptist Church - on Beating Children

Godly Tips on How to Punish and Beat Your Christian Child

"Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being." Proverbs 20:30

1. To begin with, a Christian parent must understand that a child will never learn a lesson unless they are beaten on their naked bottoms until the imprint of the rugged cross is plainly visible on both cheeks. (Proverbs 23:13-14)

There is wrong in most every household in the world. I got whippings when I was a child and it was not for spilling milk or any such silly things. It was for doing something that was wrong or that could have hurt me or someone else. If you want to go tit for tat on wrong doings we'll start with putting children in microwave ovens or cloths dryers. Which to my knowledge no Christian parent has not done. How about the decision that some in higher learning are advocating killing the child before a certain age because they are not a person to rid society of a possible problem.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wasn't Bibleman played by Willie Ames at some point?

Then again, I grew up with VeggieTales, and only watched it for the talking vegetables. I remember I had LarryBoy and the Fib and Madame Blueberry.

Also, LarryBoy could totally own Bibleman:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Bibleman's arch-enemy Bull****man

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Yeah!! The speaker I saw talked about Veggie Tales, too!!
wow

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

"Teletubbies"
Are they gay?

Just curious...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

Why does Bibleman offend me? Because indoctrinating young children with religious agendas is in my eyes one of the darkest, more evil things you can do on this planet.

Oh, but, but TERRORISTS. Yea....I don't see any muslim action figures with hand grenades at the local Toys R Us, so its none of my concern.

What happens in other countries is THEIR business. Personally, terrorism is so few and far between in the States, that it isn't a blip on the map.

However, christian indoctrination is a REAL problem we have here.

Thank you for chiming in here.
Yeah, indoctrinating children is really, well, awful.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

I don't know what part of the country you come from but I do not know any Christian parent that has beat their child and forced them into Chrstianity.

Well, guitarplayer, I'm VERY happy to hear that!!

I was born in Chicago (Waukegan, a northern suburb on the shores of Lake Michigan), and spent my first few years in little, tiny towns northwest of Chicago. Then we moved to Kansas.

First, Wichita. Then, Lawrence (a college town). My parents did not beat me, nor did they force me. Nevertheless, as a 54+ year old woman, and a professional, with 50 years of life experience behind me......
I can tell you that there are Christian parents who beat their children into submission. And threaten them with hell-fire.

If you are not aware of that, then I totally understand your point of view. But I think it's important that you be aware that this is happening. I was raised in the Episcopal church. But as I've grown older, I've seen what these so-called "Christians" do to their children.

I hope you understand.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The God they claim to worship, and His "word" take a back seat to keeping the Christian masses brain washed into mindless zombies. Starting young has always been their modus operandi.

When you truly understand how the modern church, and modern government are structured. You will have a hard time deciding which is the microcosm, and which is the macrocosm, of the other.

Klass, thank you so much for chiming in here!!
It's very confusing and demoralizing. I was really hoping you'd give us your perspective, and I totally enjoyed and appreciated your thread about "Preachers Who Don't Believe" (paraphrasing....
)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You may experience true terror and grief when the christians
are finally proven right.
This is a topic I would like to discuss in the morning with a pot
of coffee.

Okay, then.
It's a date. What time in the morning, mamabeth? I'm in central time zone. I'll probably be up by 9 or so.
I look forward to discussing this further.

EDIT:

I am a fundamental christian and I would never ridicule or mistreat you.
After some of the things that I have read,I would simply ignore you and
shake the dust from my feet.

Oh. Okay, so you don't want to discuss it. Okay then.
You are free to simply ignore me and shake the dust from your feet. If you are that bothered, I don't blame you at all!

edit on 25-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
reply to post by windword

"Teletubbies"
Are they gay?

Just curious...

I can't say for sure, you be the judge.

The Reverend Jerry Falwell, a former spokesman for America's Moral Majority, has denounced the BBC TV children's show. He says it does not provide a good role model for children because Tinky Winky is gay.

Cheerful Tinky Winky, the purple character with the triangular aerial on his head, carries a handbag - but apart from that seems much the same as his friends Laa-Laa, Dipsy and Po.

--------------

In an article called Parents Alert: Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet, he says: "He is purple - the gay-pride colour; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle - the gay-pride symbol."

He said the "subtle depictions" of gay sexuality are intentional and later issued a statement that read: "As a Christian I feel that role modelling the gay lifestyle is damaging to the moral lives of children."

Whatever!? Bibleman is definitely gayer!

edit on 25-4-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

No worries about the time; posted that this morning, and haven't been on since, till very recently tonight.

I actually understand quite well why I believe what I do. As a child, I wasn't required to go to church; that was something I did if I wanted to. My parents didn't attend regularly; in fact, my dad never went. In his case, he did hold Christian beliefs on salvation, but he didn't like some of the politics that can happen in some churches. Mostly, as children, we went to the church my grandfather attended. The only lessons were that God loves us, died for us, and wants us to be with Him. People were caring, there were songs, simple sermons, and a real sense of peace. Salvation is something I chose, because I understood that God really did love me. Nothing was ever pushed. As a teen, I didn't really attend much at all. I did some while in the military, but not regularly, and not after that for some years. I chose to again because I wanted to.

I do understand this isn't the same experience that some people have. I have friends that have had very BAD experiences with local churches, and have, as a result, moved as far from anything related as possible. I suspect that might be the case with you. Depending on the experiences, it's understandable. There are, as well, many false religions, and many that claim to be Christian yet practice something very non-Christian. These days, there are more like that than good ones, I suspect. That sort of manipulation is harmful, intentionally so. However, that doesn't mean any and all that call themselves Christian practice such things, or that any and all Christians are simply deluded.

Let me see if I can provide an explanation of what I mean here. Say a person was being convinced, by various nefarious means, that everyone around them was a criminal, and they all wanted to do the person harm. That would be very harmful to the person, and getting away from that manipulation would be a good thing. What if, as a result of this, that person decided that there were no criminals anywhere, though? They flashed their cash, didn't lock doors or windows, and so forth. They would probably end up being a victim of crime. The point is, just because some use religious methods to manipulate and control people, that doesn't mean all religious practices are bad.

If you feel like sharing personal experiences, I am more than willing to listen. Here or messages, either way. The "foe" thing is something I use for people with views in opposition to mine; it doesn't mean we can't discuss things, or even find points of agreement. Anyway, that door is open, if you want. Your decision there.

I could easily name MANY cases of people being harmed by religious practices. Probably more, without looking anything up, than you could. I am actually bothered by false teaching. What I believe, though, isn't about a practice, but about a relationship. I don't think you are really ready to hear about that right now, though. If ever you are, let me know, or read through some older posts of mine on the topic. For practice, what I do is pretty tame. Church in Sunday isn't anything manipulative, or creepy, or controlling. We go to Sunday School. In my case, the class is one on marriage and parenting. Right now, we are studying ways couples can improve communication. We share prayer requests, and talk about personal experiences relevant to the lessons. After that is a very standard Baptist worship service. Music, in the form of both older hymns and modern praise songs, with instruments (piano pretty much always, some drums, some guitar, etc.), and we sing, if we want to. There is time to greet people, an offering is collected (and virtually not discussed at all - people give as God leads them to), various announcements are made (meetings, ministry opportunities, and so forth), and we have a sermon. Those are all about God's love for us, and based on the Bible. It's a warm, friendly place, with people that really make an effort to get to know one another, and really care. Everyone is welcome, no dress code.

Again, though, I know that isn't the same as what many people see. I have seen places that border on being a cult. Paces stuck on procedures, and forgetting about the reason for being there. Places all about controlling the members. Those places, I don't like any more than you do. Probably a lot less. You might be surprised. Places like that make people turn from the love of God, and that bothers me.

In this case, though, you are upset about a toy. I know what Bibleman is, though it isn't nearly as big a deal as you might think. He's simply a character that accepts Jesus as Savior, and has little adventures. He's not supposed to be worshiped, as some claim. He's also not exactly widely discussed. (to be cont)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Wildtimes, it's clear you are generally anti-Christian. But I'm okay with that because I am too. I am a Christian but I understand your perspective in a lot of ways, and despite my liberally oriented view of things, I think I understand it better than that of many of my colleagues.

My first question to you is this: Are you going to let a bunch of ignorant people separate you from what is true? If you are determined to arrive at the truth of everything, and I believe you are, are you going to let a few of these individuals, because of your dislike of them, turn you away from that?

You have a Bible in front of you that makes some claims that many of you here are uncomfortable with. That many conspiracy theorists seek to disprove or challenge. My claim to you on the other hand is that this is the conspiracy theorists' manual. It makes stark claims of the origin of human life, the reason we have corruption and wickedness in the earth, and finishes off with the idea of a selective group or society of people who have plans for world domination. They will institute economic systems and political policies that will bring great harm to the average man and many circumstances will make life unbearable at that time. Considered impartially, it seems to be describing a time in history we are living at today and seems prescient in its interpretations of the reason humanity has so many faults.

But then some of you, who very likely could accept a faith, if it was targeted to you for your enjoyment but Christians preferred not to reach out to you. You would pick up on things like this Bibleman and point it out as evidence of a broader plan to indoctrinate kids in some type of mythology. I have a story for you.

I live in East Texas and we have a Christian radio station here. When I was a kid in the 90s, they would do at about 5 pm a Bible trivia question, mostly for the kids. I always wanted to win one (stiff competition!) and I finally did win one one day. Guess what I won? I won a Bibleman video tape. After receiving it I sat down to watch it. I might have been 8 years old. Even then it seemed cheesy, poorly conceived, a weak production on a simple budget and just simply was not appealing. Instead I could go to a top of the line production company like Nickelodeon and watch such critically acclaimed programming as Hey Arnold! or Doug.

So you know what it amounts to? There are a lot of Christians who are no more happy about it than you are. They aren't entertained (or they weren't as kids) by these movies, and now as adults they aren't buying it and they aren't showing their kids. Maybe they are doing something as dubious by showing their kids unadulterated filth. I don't know.

I believe somewhere along the lines someone who professed this faith has hurt you, or offended you, and when you saw in that person and others that it did not have the power to change anyone it was something you were determined to argue against. The truth is though that there are a few of us here who have been through the same ordeal like the true believers were shown to have experienced all throughout history in the Bible itself. I lost a friend the other day because I said I did not believe in the Trinity. They burn you and afflict you but you have to move on without them. Christ spoke about that when He said men would revile you and accuse you for His name sake. What we're really facing is not that their are people who are that "god's" people, but that we are in fact His people come to this planet who are being mocked by those who want so desperately to be called His children. And they feel they have to resort to envy, strife, and murder to achieve that.

What you will have to do is decide if the truth is something you're willing to pursue with so many human obstacles in the way.

And morality? Some of you are upset about that. It might not let you pursue the things that make you feel alleviated or comfortable. Three weeks ago, I quit smoking (by the grace of God). If you are a smoker, come to God! Don't let the Christians tell you that crap about, "In eternity, are you 'Smoking' or 'Not Smoking'". It's a bunch of crap. And I was drinking tonight. Nothing wrong with a drink. Some of you have made an issue where there is none. "Christians" want to get all pissy about certain habits when they are worse than most anyone else.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

(cont)

In reality, he's no more manipulative, or agenda-based, than any other toy or video for children, and much less than quite a few. The list I gave did have some thought behind it.

Star Wars - I love the movies; they are fun. My kids like them, and the toys. However, the point could be made, depending on how someone views that stuff, that it is pushing a belief system. I still remember a guy in Big Brother (I was really bored that summer...) that actually believed he was a Jedi knight. At first, it seemed like a joke, but he was serious.

Various superheroes - Anyone with eyes could see an agenda there. Kids are told to believe some totally alien (as in Superman), or half-human, half-something else "hero" will come along and save the day. This is all over movies, television, in the toys, etc. If you want an agenda, look there.

I could go on, but I think the point is made. I have to ask; is the real objection the toy, or the fact that parents are teaching their children the things they believe? From what I have read, it seems to be the latter, with the toy being simply another small part of the picture. If that's the case, do you not think parents have a right to raise their own children? If that is what you believe, then who does have that right, in your eyes? If the state, then what about when that changes, and whoever is in control no longer has ideas similar to your own? That's a dangerous path.

Religion is simply a system of beliefs. Some have a deity, some have several, and some have none at all. Some are based on faith, and some on only what can be seen. Parents have a right to pass on to their children what they believe. People can change their minds later on. They do all the time. You have every right to not believe as I do. You have the right to teach your children what you believe. I also have the same right. As long as we respect that right in one another, and don't try to force what we believe, or prevent each other from sharing, we have freedom.

I could easily provide resources for people claiming to have been damaged by an atheistic society, as you have offered for people claiming damage from religion. I think, though, this is a deeper issue for you. Again, if you do want to talk, I am around. Believe it or not, I do understand where you are coming from on this. I have seen it before, in close friends.

As for what I believe? That's easy.

Sin is simply disobeying God's law. His laws are for our protection; do not kill, steal, commit adultery, etc.
There are penalties for breaking the law. Every modern society accepts this.
Jesus is God, born as a human being, to walk among us, and die to pay the penalty for our sins.
He rose from the grave, defeating death, and paying the price for all that accept Him.
We ALL sin, in one way or another. God loves us anyway, no matter what we do.
That is a message of love and hope, and peace, not of fear.

No matter what you might have experienced in some church organization, that was the doing of people, not of God. Your relationship with Him doesn't have to be based on that.

Something to think on - would you want to live in a world where no crime as punished, and criminals that refused to rehabilitate, and continued to commit crimes, were not separated from the rest? Where no attempt was even made to do so?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by supermarket2012
Bibleman? I find it sickening. And of course I knew some nutcase christians would come in here, like they did on the first page, and say "Why dislike Bibleman! Muslims teach their kids ____ and _____"

Always pointing the figure at someone else, eh? To christians, muslims are the big bag boogeyman. Of course the religion itself is no worse or better than christianity, judaism, or any of the abrahamic religions. OH, OH, but TERRORISTS the christians shout.

Yea, terrorists exist, but religion isn't the cause. Religion is just used as a tool. There are christian terrorists, muslim terorrists, etc. It just so happens that right now, the world is focusing on the middle east. A few few hundred years ago, christians and the roman catholic church were the MAIN terrorists. Things just flipped around, like they ALWAYS do.

Why does Bibleman offend me? Because indoctrinating young children with religious agendas is in my eyes one of the darkest, more evil things you can do on this planet.

Oh, but, but TERRORISTS. Yea....I don't see any muslim action figures with hand grenades at the local Toys R Us, so its none of my concern.

What happens in other countries is THEIR business. Personally, terrorism is so few and far between in the States, that it isn't a blip on the map.

However, christian indoctrination is a REAL problem we have here.

Name those actual Christian terrorists, please, with proof of all acts of terror committed by them. Actions committed hundreds of years back by the RCC are not the actions of Christians. Many, in fact, were committed against Christians that rejected the control of the RCC. As for the Middle East and terrorism; the focus is there because the Islamic radical terrorists commit heinous acts all the time, all over the world, and have for decades.

Getting bent out of shape over a toy and video series for children, just because you don't agree with it, seems like misplaced anger to me. That series isn't teaching anyone to hate, or kill others, or anything of the sort. It teaches the Bible. If you don't approve, then don't teach your kids that way.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I have to agree with you on your view on this as I have seen "the pushy types" as well. The last thing I would want to see is my religion forced on anyone. It should be a choice and not a propaganda champaign. It's the brothers and sisters in Christ who blindly follow what their pastors says, and not measure standards from the Word that are the biggest threat to Christianity. I consider them apostates. As Christians, we should ask WHY and question things. To not take things on face value. Bibleman is a result of a forced conversion doctrine in my opinion. I feel, Christ should be able to stand by hiimself and not turned into a puppet.

If Jesus were to return today, I believe he would call these apostates sons of serpants, the pastors white washed tombs, and the church a synagage of satan. These people are trying to turn Christianity into a political movement, which I call churchianity. These are the same people who, when it comes to worship, want to have convenent parking, a coffee bar in the church lobby, a custom slide for the kids, a cool rock band during the service, and a flashy teen program to drop their kids off. On Sunday, they are so holy and hold their arms out while singing, but on Monday they walk past an elderly person struggling with their groceries. They see someone broke down on the side of the road and say to themselves, "It's not my problem." They substitue sitting down with their children to teach them the Word with putting them in front of a bibleman video.

As time goes on Wildtimes, you will see a split in Christianity. As the world gets worst you will see true Christians with the spirit of Christ and the apostates who are more concerned with promoting their agendas and warmongering. God will deal with them. When they step into eternity, they will say "Lord, Lord look what I have done for you." He will say, "Begone, I don't know you."

No, my agitation is not with the atheist, or non-believers, but the apostate Christians. The ones who cling to ignorance and their fat cat preachers. The ones who cheer when our country invades other countries and kills millions of inocents...because the buy into the fear from their government and lack faith that God has a plan.

Yes, I absolutely 100% agree with you. Tools like bibleman are harming our children and is promoting something sinister.
S&F for you!

edit on 26-4-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

there's also vegitales christian vegetables hahaha

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Sorry Wild, I guess my perspective got lost in my convoluted thought processes on this topic. I see things from the bottom to the top of the church heirarchy that I find hard to explain to anyone who hasn't been there. "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Simply put. Bibleman is the "kinder, gentler" Jesus Camp. Though, brought to you by the same people.

edit on 4/26/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Is Biblemans arch enemy.........".Imaginary BullSnip Man". This is about the biggest BS propaganda from the religous right I have ever heard of. Next there will be" KoranMan" and he will be BibleMans big enemy, but he want be able to thwart the deeds of "TorahMan" and Bibleman's twisted BS.........Next come's Radical Islam Man complete with bombing vest.........firecrackers sold seperately. Poor Hindu Man just gets ignored. I have a better name for BibleMan I'll call him.....Lieing Man.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join