It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spellcheck? I would of.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Sorry, that doesn't bother me much, what bothers me are Grammar Nazis. As a writer, I tend to write in the vernacular of the people I'm writing about. Sometimes it slips when I post online. So, though I see what you're saying, I can hardly sympathize.

What's worse are the people who like to correct your grammar mid-sentence. As if you don't understand what's being said.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I have to admit I do this from time to time,even though I'm not that young, I blame it on my studies of other languages.

In many other languages, instead of saying "the dog needs to be fed" it is grammatically correct to say "dog needs fed".

It's also kind of a thing related to to sites like "can haz cheeseburger".
More slang/cute talk than anything serious.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It doesn't mean you are a bad person no but it does mean that you are lazy and don't care if you ask me! I'm sorry but how does an adult NOT know how to use words like "their, there or they're" by the time the reach adulthood?

I'd like to tell you about my husband. He is dyslexic. He can't spell. He can't type. His I.Q. is high, but he was never a good speller.
He isn't lazy and he does care.He asks for help, but I can't be there to type everything out for him.
He just can't comprehend what he is typing sometimes.
It's hard for a lot of people, including myself, to understand what he is trying to say sometimes.

And instead of "their, there and they're" he is likely not only to mix them up, but he is likely to spell "their" "theiar" while meaning "there".

So, that is just one way an adult might not know.

edit on 25-4-2013 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

I'm not a grammar nazi, hell I'm not even a native English speaker, but if you have a great point to make why not try to gain as much respect you can, some people will look down on you and doubt your validity if you write like a kid would.

Since I'm not a native English speaker I probably make mistakes all the time, but at least I try.

Yes the message gets across, but why accept sounding like a fool?
As I typed that I just realized that another failure is to use "acrossed" instead of across. I don't know if it is to sound cool or if people really don't know. (Know what I'm sayin?)

My favorite is that many people actually thinks it is correct to use the first sentence below:
He is taller than me.
He is taller than I.

But languages do change, and I'm OK with that. I don't know when "cool" started meaning something other than temperature for instance, but nobody should flinch about that one anymore...

Just wanted to add:
Great point about people with dyslexia, I feel for them, it's easy to be ignorant and make assumptions.
edit on Apr 25, 13 by mimer because: Now I feel like a jackass...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mimer
I don't know when "cool" started meaning something other than temperature for instance, but nobody should flinch about that one anymore...

As a term of approval, "cool" has been in use since the late '40s.

It has been used referring to a state of mind (e.g. keep your cool) for a lot longer than that. In fact, as long ago as the 14th Century.
edit on 25/4/13 by erwalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I hate this thread. The amount of times I have now noticed "should of" "could of" "would of" when they clearly meant "have", is ridiculous!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I hate this thread. The amount of times I have now noticed "should of" "could of" "would of" when they clearly meant "have", is ridiculous!

It is number of times, not amount of times.

You use amount for quantities of things measured in bulk and number for things that can be counted.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Further to my previous comments on "spell as you pronounce", another poster has just reminded me of another real worst hate;
PROLLY;
What the dickens is a "prolly"?
Looking at context- Oh, I see.
Read my lips- PRO, and BAB, and LY.
That's PROBABLY- three syllables.
Good grief!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

Congratulations. I hate you too.

Edit: And from a fellow Canadian!

edit on 26-4-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join