It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spellcheck? I would of.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

Oh I see ...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The phrase that many people use incorrectly that drives me crazy is 'I could care less.', when what they obviously mean to say is 'I couldn't care less.'

I'm not exactly sure why that particular one irks me so much, but it does.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Maybe the English Language, if not the human being himself, is devolving now, so given enough time and we'll be back to pointing and grunting in certain special ways, and then eventually we'll rebuild the language from the ground up. Then, after a few hundred thousand years once again we'll be having the same kind of discussion, although to us it would appear as nothing but gibberish.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
The phrase that many people use incorrectly that drives me crazy is 'I could care less.', when what they obviously mean to say is 'I couldn't care less.

You are not the only that is bothered by this.

I can handle a typo but it really bothers me when a person misspells the same word over and over in a post.

The following really bug me:

using "loose" when "lose" is meant.

using "amount" when "number" is correct, e.g. "amount of people" vice "number of people".

using "upcoming" to denote something has not yet happened, even though the sentence is in future tense or contains a date indicating the event is in the future. It drove me to distraction when broadcasters in 2009 were referring to the "upcoming 2010 Winter Olympics". It was as if they were concerned that we might think they were referring to the 2010 Olympics that occurred in 2008.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I cnt belive u wuld doo dis 2 me!!! You talking about stuff like that?
I can't stand that crap and if anyone talked to me like that I would just ignore them...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I know how you feel. I see a lot of lax spelling and grammar these days. Also, a lot of people not knowing a phrase well enough to tell if they have it right. I was in a corporate strategy meeting one day and one of my co-workers starts spouting off about a solution to a problem and how all we need to do is "Nip it in the Butt". I immediately took the measure of informing him that that could lead to some sort of sexual harassment case if that's the route he was taking and then suggested that he re-phrase it to "Nip it in the bud". He immediately told me I had no clue what I was talking about and I began to tell him that the phrase originated from the practice of cutting off the terminal buds on plants /trees /bushes to prevent them from growing too much. I then said it is commonly used in other situations such as this meeting when you want to indicate that you want to stop a situation from growing out of control, reign it in and keep command of it. He told everyone in the meeting that I was spouting bull-crap and he would prove it or we would have pizza at the next meeting, his treat.
We all enjoyed some pizza the next day. He was insistent that I had it wrong. I am in my early 40's and he was mid- 20's, sadly, he has not had the same education I have had.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

I believe this and other grammar no-no's which have become all too common nowadays (nowadays, not 'anymore' as it is often mis-used these days), have been largely supported by 'speech' taking place in greater degrees via written communication (email, net forums, texting, twitter, etc.) some of it is simply mistakes being reinforced because people don't bother 'correcting' others often on the web or via text. People keep reading "should of", and think it is correct, because they see the "of" version more often than the correct version and thus become just another statistic, feeding the feedback loop of wrongness.

Another part of it is some of these errors simply coming to light, where the 'offender' had heard it wrong early in life. An example, thinking the contraction "should've" for "should have" is actually "should of." In spoken conversation, they go through life as a "have not" (heh), but most of the time it goes unnoticed, because it basically sounds the same. Then...that person texts you, and you think, "wtf? I thought she was smarter than that!"

I noticed one a few years back from a friend of mine. "You mine as well!"
...I mine as well as what? The average miner? As well as any miner out there? How does she know? I've never even tried my hand at mining. Should I?

Anyhow, there's a slew of them, many of us could probably list our pet peeves all the way to the character limit, but that's not the point of my post. Lately, as it seems the grammar (and mis-uses of there/their/they're, etc.) grow worse and worse, I have been tbinking more about the "why?" As I stated above, I believe it is mainly because of the trend toward more and more text speech, both exposing and reinforcing improper use of words.

Their not vetting any better, that's for sure. Weather the tide ever turns or not, you mine as well just continue to waist brain processing power translating there wrong word usage, because its two late now. Sd should of staved this off before it got this bad.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

LoL. Omg. I would of said more but I ain't got nothing else to say.

Just kidding
This is something I find annoying as well but, it's so prevalent I've long ceased pointing it out. It's really moot, I suppose, as text speak is becoming more and more common to a point that people have taken to writing (or typing as it were) the quickest way they possibly can.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

Every one nose how many I knead that gramma and spell checker.

I did went to look for that butt nun were finded.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

It's appalling how badly some supposedly educated people butcher the language. I completely understand your frustration. S&F for posting about one of many such errors!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I blame the guvmint. Dumb policies just keep on creating more and more have-nots.

Namaste, and much love and light to you.

David.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think the root of the problem is the way contractions are pronounced. Actually say it, and you'll hear it.

non-contraction: would have, could have, should have
contraction: would've, could've, should've (sounds like "of" when spoken)

It reminds me of a different misunderstanding of a spoken "have". I worked with a guy named Kevin, who consistently wrote "half" instead of "have" - ie: "I half to go to the warehouse". Nice guy - uneducated, and I think that's the problem. Education, or lack of it.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

I see the Grammar Police came in! BEWARE! Dun Dun Dun~ Now Let me AXE You a question~ Did you understood? What them people were talking about? Are you Edumacated enough to undertand? Then WHO CARE"S~

Honestly, Grammar patrol.... I would not have.

Don't get me wrong though I understand your Rant very, very well... Even though I have improper grammar sometimes.......

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
People are dying in collapsed buildings, women and children raped and killed, babies starving to death and poor grammar and spelling seem to preempt our concerns? We are all guilty of these "horrendous" failures to properly use our respective languages. I ask those of you speaking the English language, are you speaking in King James? Language is not static, it changes with time and culture.

I personally have chosen to be a better listener.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Sloppy spelling, grammar, and punctuation reduce the effectiveness of the message you might be trying to get across.

There have been many posts that are so bad that I couldn't be bothered to read the post to the end. If the posters had important messages to communicate, they failed.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Language is constantly evolving.

When i'm in a bar I say "Can I have a pint of lager". Now people say "Can I get a pint of lager".

Amther one i've niticed is that I grew up saying "once". Now people say "one time".

It annoys me slightly but as I said language is constantly evolving innit

Rat

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ratman
When i'm in a bar I say "Can I have a pint of lager".

I had a chemistry teacher who, had he been the barman, would have said yes and then just stood there, not serving you the requested lager. You wouldn't get one until you asked "May I have a pint of lager?"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

The human mind is capable of deciphering the construction of most words even when the letters are scrambled. Evn wen thu leders r apairauntly nuncenticsal.

It may be that for some the brain has a very sensitive filter that triggers a resistance to that deciphering process.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by RobbieK

Now Let me AXE You a question~

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

second line also grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

almost as bad as using "crips" when you mean "crisps"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

I know the brain can do that and I have never had a problem doing reading such passages.

I'll make more allowances for sloppy spelling and even ignore it when it is obvious that English is not one's first language.

But it does not take me long to give up reading a wall of text, especially when full of such punctuation errors as using comma after comma with nary a period in sight.

The world is full of people who lost opportunities to others for a lack of ability to express themselves clearly.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join