It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New job requirements

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by muse7

Usted recibe una estrella por su respuesta.

You can't expect businesses to lower their standards and turn away a big consumer base, just because bubba over here refuses to learn a new language.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Catering to customer needs is one thing, seeing a developing social trend is another.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

reply to post by muse7

Catering to customer needs is one thing, seeing a developing social trend is another.

Does it make your life a living hell to have to press an extra button when dialing a government agency?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

reply to post by muse7

Does it make your life a living hell to have to press an extra button when dialing a government agency?

The pain and anguish is indescribable.

Just so long as it's not in spanish and I have to press "8" for english.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

I see women in Hijabs, (like I was living in Saudi Arabia again!)I see women in Hijabs, (like I was living in Saudi Arabia again!)

Even though I really doubt you are American originally , but I offer you be calm and get along not seeing a woman half naked.

Unless you just believe in one way freedom.

get a grip , there are illegal migrants and law pay workers every where , you don't need to push them to get a job if you have the quality.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

I worked for 8 years having to listen to spanish all day. I learned a lot of words, but cannot hold a conversation. Not everyone can easily learn another language.

I would never ever leave my country and expect that country to speak my language.

I understand not everyone learns languages easily and surely don't support being forced to speak another language in order to find a job in one's own country, I just find it odd that someone claiming to be raised amid a highly proportionate Spanish speaking population didn't pick up enough of the language to speak it passably. It is different being exposed regularly to a language as an adult than being exposed to it as a child as children pick up other languages much, much more easily. I wasn't attacking the op, it's just unusual.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
And I know I'll be blasted for being "racist" or whatever..but what happened to new immigrants learning ENGLISH?
edit on 4/23/2013 by Cornczech because: because I am a retarded and cannot spell

Why didn't you learn to speak Cherokee or Navajo?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

for my last job

they did a polygraph

a psychological test

a neighborhood test

a drug test

a physical abilities test

a basic math and reading abilities test

and i passed all of them...

they turned me down because i had bad credit...

tell me about it

wow , may I ask what the hell you were applying for that required all that

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

brinks

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There's this town, not far from where I live that has a large Mexican population. I'm not kidding when I say you can't get a job at subway without being bilingual there. Subway of all places. Can't they just point at what they want on the make table? That's the one restaurant where basically all the ingredients are visible.

I hate to sound rude about it, but I'm with OP on this. I wouldn't go to another country (especially if I plan on working there, which is rampant in the town I'm talking about) without knowing enough of the language to get by on. The big plants around here have to hire translators, which is good if that's your profession, but otherwise creates a lot of confusion in the work place.I wouldn't expect them to cater to my language if I were in their country, so why expect it here? Why would anyone want to go somewhere, where you can't understand the majority of whats on signs or being said to you? Sure there's the argument "America doesn't have an official language", but it's no secret that we speak a bastard version of English here either. I'm not saying they shouldn't be here, but asking them to make some kind of effort to learn the language we speak isn't asking a lot either. I'm not against legal immigrants at all, but not speaking the language commonly spoke here is usually a sign they didn't come here legally.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

Yes...I should learn Spanish...it is fairly easy ...especially since I grew up in Texas...(My father and his family spoke Spanish because they all grew up whiter than white...in central and south America)..but my point is that it shouldn't be REQUIRED......

(when I was living in El Paso, I understood more Spanish than I do now....and my father and his brothers would speak Spanish when they didn't want my brother and I to know what they were saying...My brother took FRENCH..and I took Russian.....but I never became fluent...I couldn't even learn too much Polish after living there for a summer, (and having a Polish boyfriend at the time)

It is required because they are offering the job and can choose what are the minimum requirements for it and if the are 100% sure they will get a bilingual person for the job they will ask for it. It is up to you to improve your skills for the job market and if you think experience is all, you cannot be more wrong.
By the way, Florida, New Mexico, Texas, California and a few other states were originally part of Spain so YES, you should speak Spanish if you want to get a job in your country.
edit on 24-4-2013 by manitu69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I don't think your racist. Your just stating a fact.

The same fact that when you lived in Saudi Arabia you didn't learn their language did you ??

Mmmmm. I think there's something in that.

However, I digress. If your are in a field where you work for someone else and over time job requirements change. You quit. That means you have to reapply like everyone else, with what applies in 2013 not 1991 !!!

It's tough but you have no one to blame but yourself. Who the heck quits their job instead of arranging time off unpaid. Intelligence used to go with skilled work. What happened to that I ask?

Me, I'm self employed. Will always find work because I am not dependent on others. I am contracted to one company now and earn more in commissions than both the bosses earn. Figure that out! So why do I not get a regular job? There is your answer.

edit on 24-4-2013 by MadMax7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to
reply to post by freedomSlave

brinks

ok understandable but because of your credit history that is bs .

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I understand your concern. I live in Dearborn Michigan (heavily Arabic...and 51 dialects of all kinds in the City)...so you cant get ANY kind of job unless you are bi-lingual..AT THE MINIMUM. (I can, because I work for Ford Motor Company and Dearborn Police and Fire...and have learn Spanish at least...)

As well...I lived in Coral Gables Florida I(Miami) n 1975 and couldn't get work even at a gas station...unless I could speak and count in Spanish. ( I can now...didn't help then tho....).
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
If your young like me with no college experience (nobody in my family has gone to college, it was never a big thing, we are factory workers and proud
) if you want to make 50 to 75 cents above minimum wage, you have to go to a staffing agency.

If you have never been to one, just imagine a person helps you find a job. That person is making 2 dollars for every hour you work. If the company you are at does not hire you in (with health care and all that, the chances are low, at least in my past experiences), you are paying that person 2 dollars every hour you work until you quit or your employment is "Terminated".

We are living in a time where company policies and regulations are making the simple task of doing an honest day's work either not worth the trouble, or you need a large amount of time and money to learn new skills only to be let go so a company doesn't have to pay any benefits.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am in northern Colorado with a fairly large hispanic populuation so knowing spanish isn't required, but greatly useful. I have not seen it listed as a must in any job description though. OH and I have never ever ever seen anyone wearing a Hijabs, not even when I was in Chicago 7 years ago.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Then learn Spanish. Simple as that really. If you cannot adapt to new requirements and learn new things in order to make yourself more useful, then you're as good as toast.

The only reason 'we' have to adapt, is because the spanish speakers refuse to! So now we have to cater to them, no other foreign language speakers only them! It is more useful for the foreigner that came here to live to learn the language of the country, not turn everything upside down and force citizens to speak 'their' language. That is rude and arrogant! Just as I would be rude and arrogant to ever expect a foreign country to cater to me and learn 'my' language.

Why arn't we reqired to speak any of the other hundreds of languages being spoken here???? Legal immigrants all learn, understand and speak english. Illegals don't care and get catered to at every turn. Why are they more important than the very citizens of this country, or the people who come here with great respect for our laws and language???? Sorry, but there is no excuse for an entire country to be forced to change because some foreigners refuse to speak the language of the very country they wish to live in.

There is no excuse for any American citizen to be turned away from a job because they are not bilingual. We have millions of unemployed Americans who are losing out on job opportunities because of these people and it isn't right.

Do you understand what is happening here? One group is being placed above all others. Is that fair or right? NO!
edit on 25-4-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kody27

And I know I'll be blasted for being "racist" or whatever..but what happened to new immigrants learning ENGLISH?
edit on 4/23/2013 by Cornczech because: because I am a retarded and cannot spell

Why didn't you learn to speak Cherokee or Navajo?

I would love to myself but suck at languages. I learn many words in different languages but can never converse in them. for some reason I just don't retain the info and most people are just like me. We are now the USA and the primary language is english. Strange that it's only the spanish speakers who refuse to speak english. Why immigrate to a country if you can't learn that country's language? Why have an entire country bend over backwards to cater to you? Why force the citizens of this country to speak a foreign language in their own country just because of one group who refuses to adapt????

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Not attacking, but I think that is up to the employer...if the employer chooses to require a second language, that is their right as a business in this country.

I asked an employer once why they required spanish as it was just a simple factory job and shouldn't have been a requirement. The reply was that it was because most of their employees spoke spanish. What the hell kind of excuse is that?????? Because their spanish speaking employees were too lazy and disrespectful to learn english like all other foreigners, a citizen is forced to speak a foreign language in his own country in order to get hired. That is a damned shame and so wrong!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well .. if someone has at least the same credentials as you and on the plus side speaks more languages in the area where it means more people, he's just better for this position. Company hires the best candidate and not the one with 'good heart' and stuff. You should show them where are the benefits if they hire you over others. And after 22 years, maybe, just maybe, you should try to think about opening something private, hire a few people?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join