It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New job requirements

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

OK, seriously...., spanish is so easy and fun to learn. Start watching spanish news channels for 1/2 hour a day, something like telemundo.....you know. Rent movies that you already watched before and watch them again using the spanish audio option. You can do it.

I speak spanish and italian. In my previous job about 60% of the people were italian, 30% hispanic and 10% indian. Just imagine indian workers speaking italian, hispanic trying to speak english, italians speaking spanish.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I just find it amazing that you grew up in El Paso and don't speak Spanish. I have many relatives there who all speak fluent Spanish, and I live all the way on the other side of the state and most of us speak passable Spanish (my kids speak it fluently). I don't think you should be required to speak any foreign language for an American job but it's just strange that you didn't pick it up when you were growing up.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Though we have always been a melting pot of cultures, people who came here learned and spoke english. It wasn't until we got more and more illegal immigrants were we forced to dial one to hear our own lanuage or to even get a job!

We never ever had to cater to the Italians or the french or any other foreign language speaker. There is no excuse that spanish speaking people should be placed above all others. No American should have to speak a foreign language in their own country to get a job! It's not like you're dealing with international customers where the job may require it.

If you want to live in the USA, learn english like all our other immigrants did. Speak your home language on your own time.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I just find it amazing that you grew up in El Paso and don't speak Spanish. I have many relatives there who all speak fluent Spanish, and I live all the way on the other side of the state and most of us speak passable Spanish (my kids speak it fluently). I don't think you should be required to speak any foreign language for an American job but it's just strange that you didn't pick it up when you were growing up.

I worked for 8 years having to listen to spanish all day. I learned a lot of words, but cannot hold a conversation. Not everyone can easily learn another language.

I would never ever leave my country and expect that country to speak my language.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
We have hundreds of languages spoken here and english is the one language that ties us all together. We don't cater to Italians, French, Africans, Asians etc. there is no reason we should be catering to the spanish speaking population and having hard woking Americans miss a job opportunity. That is disrespectful and wrong in my opinion. I wouldn't go to another country and expect or demand that they speak 'my' language. That's arrogant and rude.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Oh I hear ya!

I'm in FL and it's the same here.

I'd go on more but then people will just say I'm racist or some crap like that.

It sucks and I will never learn Spanish. I"d learn Russian before i learned Spanish. When every person who comes here that speaks Spanish learns English then maybe I'll consider learning it but til then hell no.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Oh I hear ya!

I'm in FL and it's the same here.

I'd go on more but then people will just say I'm racist or some crap like that.

It sucks and I will never learn Spanish. I"d learn Russian before i learned Spanish. When every person who comes here that speaks Spanish learns English then maybe I'll consider learning it but til then hell no.

You are not racist and neither am I. Years ago we had immigrants from all over the world come here with great respect and learned and spoke english. We never had to press one to hear our own damned language and we especially were never ever required to be bilingual to get a damned job. I blame that on the influx of millions of illegals coming here over the years. I'll never learn spanish either and would much rather learn a number of other languages first, but I suck at languages period.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I feel ya. I recently called a state government office for a copy of my birth certificate, in Texas. The recorded answer I got, asked me right off the bat, to press 1 if I wanted to continue to hear the recorded message in English.

Des

I got one for ya. I called a government line for help on my assistance and the lady I got I could barely understand a word she was saying. It was obvious English wasn't her first language and she wasn't understand me either! I asked her to speak slower a few times and she got pissy with me. I seriously had no idea what the heck she was saying and it was important I got the right information otherwise I might have lost my benefits! I must have said the numbers 8 and 9 like a dozen times and each time she was like "what" and at that point i had enough. I was so irritated I finally asked to be transferred to someone who spoke English and she hung up on me!!! I also had to press 1 for English. I then had to call back and wait another 20mins to get another person I could barely understand. If you can't speak English properly you shouldn't be allowed to work for a govt agency period. English should be your first language! I was getting incorrect information because there was an obvious language barrier. I wasn't really mad at her she was just doing her job. I was mad that they hired someone who clearly couldn't communicate properly with people who spoke English. I'm sure they hired her for the Spanish speaking clients that this country loves to cater to now and screw the English speaking ones. If that sounds mean then so be it but I am tired of dealing with this. Every customer service number i call now i encounter this problem. It isnt fair to those calling in and it isn't fair to the rep on the other end who is probably getting just as frustrated and probably chewed out at the same time by an angry frustrated client like myself.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by Destinyone

I feel ya. I recently called a state government office for a copy of my birth certificate, in Texas. The recorded answer I got, asked me right off the bat, to press 1 if I wanted to continue to hear the recorded message in English.

Des

I got one for ya. I called a government line for help on my assistance and the lady I got I could barely understand a word she was saying. It was obvious English wasn't her first language and she wasn't understand me either! I asked her to speak slower a few times and she got pissy with me. I seriously had no idea what the heck she was saying and it was important I got the right information otherwise I might have lost my benefits! I must have said the numbers 8 and 9 like a dozen times and each time she was like "what" and at that point i had enough. I was so irritated I finally asked to be transferred to someone who spoke English and she hung up on me!!! I also had to press 1 for English. I then had to call back and wait another 20mins to get another person I could barely understand. If you can't speak English properly you shouldn't be allowed to work for a govt agency period. English should be your first language! I was getting incorrect information because there was an obvious language barrier. I wasn't really mad at her she was just doing her job. I was mad that they hired someone who clearly couldn't communicate properly with people who spoke English. I'm sure they hired her for the Spanish speaking clients that this country loves to cater to now and screw the English speaking ones. If that sounds mean then so be it but I am tired of dealing with this. Every customer service number i call now i encounter this problem. It isnt fair to those calling in and it isn't fair to the rep on the other end who is probably getting just as frustrated and probably chewed out at the same time by an angry frustrated client like myself.

She never should have hung up on you. That was highly unproffesional. Clearly she didn't speak english well enough to deal with all the clients and should perhaps be employed elsewhere. It's not mean for you to have normal feelings and reactions.

I was forced to listen to people babbling in spanish all damned day for 8 years of my life!! Every day I felt like I left my own country. Every day I missed, longed to hear english. It drove me absolutely crazy and 5 years later, I still can't forget it. Seriously, it was maddening.

Our Asian and Africans and Indians made a special effort to speak english when english speaking folks were around. They would always ask the spanish speakers to please speak english so everyone could be included. It didn't last long though.LOL

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Well, that's up to the employer really. I'm sure many people in Latin America feel that way. There is an english portion on Brazil's version of the SAT, and you can't even get a phd degree there if you aren't fluent in English or Spanish.

Op - it should be noted that 1st generation immigrants learn the language with varying degree of fluency (depending on age of arrival, level of exposure and level of education) - and, provided that immigrant was a teen or older will naturally find it easier to speak the native language. My grandmother came here in her early 20s from Italy. She never lost her accent, her English was good, but "colored" and of course Italian...we'll...napolitan...was her best language. When my dad and aunts were young, she moved back for a year or so and when she returned my dad could not speak a the English...only Italian...now, he wishes they had kept it up, cause he barely understands a few expressions in that language, and his English sounds like any other upstate New Yorker.

The second generation usually understands, but doesn't speak. The third generation generally does neither. This is true of immigrants all over the world, not just people who come to the US. I'm more fluent in Spanish than friends of mine who are second or third generation Hispanic immigrants. When I lived in brazil, I knew third generation Japanese Brazilians who couldn't understand my Japanese 101 expressions...

The cycle is always the same, "why don't they learn to speak English(or appropriate language for where you are)? Why don't they assimilate?" In the end, they always do...there never is this problem, it's always over hyped and never pans out. Hell, the Goths and Vandals sacked and invaded Rome. 1500 years later Romance languages are still more like Latin than German.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Sphota because: Clarifying something

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Not attacking, but I think that is up to the employer...if the employer chooses to require a second language, that is their right as a business in this country.

To other posters, that includes if they want to extend their business to The phone line for Spanish.

Also, I would add to my previous statement that certain regions of the us, for historical reasons, will maintain their link with Spanish (South Florida, Nm, Az, SoCal, Texas) but others will see it as a passing trend (Midwest, Soth Carolina, Chicago). With more and more globalization, the Americas are bound to be more and more intertwined in business pursuits...so Spanish will also link in that way.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

The second generation usually understands, but doesn't speak. The third generation generally does neither. This is true of immigrants all over the world, not just people who come to the US. I'm more fluent in Spanish than friends of mine who are second or third generation Hispanic immigrants. When I lived in brazil, I knew third generation Japanese Brazilians who couldn't understand my Japanese 101 expressions... The cycle is always the same, "why don't they learn to speak English(or appropriate language for where you are)? Why don't they assimilate?"

Amen!!! The truth has finally been spoken.

As for all this press 1 for English bs, the solution is simple....quit giving those businesses your money. It is their decision as to what they need to make their profits.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I live 5 mins from chicago and my sister is a medical assistant........ she's employed but started seeing the same thing about a year back.

I have also noticed a HUGE influx of muslims, some are now neighbors. Some are cool, smile, talkative and even shared a desert with me and my family on Easter. Others have been real quite and don't talk much. But hey, that's like all people.

With the whole Muslim influx, the thing I don't like about it generally is that it's a Third World Abrahamic religion, which does not really produce Enlightened people. I'm cool with some Sufism, but Islam in general is basically like Fundamentalist Southern Baptists down south, very hard core facade is being put up, but behind closed doors is where the action is.

Anything that's Fundy based, I'm against it. I'm still getting over Fundy Christians being everywhere, and now Muslims everywhere too.

Meh!!!!! What are you gonna do? Personally I'm moving out of Illinois cause the taxes suck and weather sucks, and alot of the people here suck too. Voted 3rd worst city in the U.S., not to mention murder capital.

I'm audi 5000 (Yes early 90's term)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
CornCzech:

Anyone else out there finding they are getting discriminated against for...being over the age of 40?

I am a reasonably qualified, 53 year old single male, and as things stand right now, I'll be lucky to ever work for a company again. There's nothing wrong with me physically or psychologically, I am still reasonably fit for my age, but I now feel like an item on a shelf no one will ever take down again. I literally feel I have no options at all to get back to work, and to be able to bring in a regular monthly wage.

I was made redundant last September, and it was the first time I have been out of work for over thirty-six years. I was paid a small redundancy package and chose to live off that and try achieve another job before it ran out. I did not want to become dependent on state benefits.

The current economic conditions do not provide an environment for job-seekers, it's an employer's wet dream to have a desperate unemployed reserve work force from which he can take his pick and exploit the desperation of those unemployed to take smaller wages, even if they are qualified. I recently applied for 2 positions at the same company, and if you looked at my CV you would see I was 'exactly' what they were looking for (but at a wage £5000 less than what I was on for the same role in the same town). Over 600 applied for the 2 positions, they narrowed it down to just 16 called for an actual interview...I was one of them. The interview went well, and the tests they gave me I scored 100%. Since the interview, I have received no further communication, not even from the agency dealing with the applications. The start dates for each position have passed, so obviously I didn't get either job.

I am capable (and willing) for taking lesser roles to get back to work, but no one will touch me because of my qualifications and experience. In fact, on occasions, I know I was more qualified and experienced than those conducting the interview.

I am currently living off £142 a fortnight, and sign on every fortnight. I am trying to get housing benefit, but they are giving me the runaround. I can't afford to pay electric, and but for paying quartely I think I'd be without electric or placed on card meter. Along with food, travel expenses have to come out of the £142. New clothes, forget that! Toiletries, once a month. Rent has not been paid for three months, it's private tenancy so I may lose it, after living here for over 12 years.

I didn't lose my job, the company lost it, because the banks and the government destroyed the company's economy, so they cut back drastically. Here in England, it's well known that the government use unemployment as a means to combat inflation. They allow unemployment to rise in proportion to inflation. They manipulate and rip apart people's lives as a means for economic balance. The current government are single-mindedly focussed on austerity measures which will last at least another 4 years, regardless of the people sacrificed in order they reach their target.

I sign on today, but I have to do either a 6 mile walk (regardless of weather) so I can use the bus fare on food, or use the bus and not have food until Monday when I receive benefit payment. All this to attend a 10 minute interview with some 20 year old whom is going to advise me on how to get a job, and question me on why I already haven't got one.

I'm just trying to work out what I have done to deserve this whilst wandering aimlessly around on an ever-growing scrapheap!
edit on 24/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I just turned 50, and finally found a job in the states.

What got me the job was me being a part of the site LinkedIn. (mods, please delete if listing another site)

There was a lot of hemming and hawing, but once my new employer visited my profile, he immediarelly sent me an offer letter. Right now, I'd swear by it!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Then learn Spanish. Simple as that really. If you cannot adapt to new requirements and learn new things in order to make yourself more useful, then you're as good as toast.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

¿Por qué? Si el Inglés es el idioma de las naciones, ¿por qué los requisitos para aprender otra?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by muse7

¿Por qué? Si el Inglés es el idioma de las naciones, ¿por qué los requisitos para aprender otra?

El idioma nacional no importa en esta situacion. Lo que importa es lo que quiere la compañia donde vas a trabajar.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Usted recibe una estrella por su respuesta.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join