It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you afraid to die?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Not afraid, just concern bout the ride!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCL1150

Not afraid, just concern bout the ride!

Every trip is a new one and has something new.

This one is unique and it happens once in a life time.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I mean that I regret I didn't do enough to inspire people, change peoples lives, provide some sustenance to peoples souls...even that one person is me.

Most of us will die and simply fade away, if you're lucky you might get noticed for a while and if you're really lucky you get recognized in history (is that really the recognition we want).

My mind, the person that is me, my identity WILL live on, I have no doubt about that contrary to my Atheists buddies beliefs, I am confident I have a strong enough personality to exist beyond the death of my physical self.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by piequal3because14
"Death is the greatest secret in the world."

Fear of death is a common feeling for people.

Most of the people are afraid of death,which is a normal thing.

Some might say death is just a passing...in another world.

Some might say that death is the end.

Indeed death is the greatest secret ever.

But...

I think that in the way that we make peace with ourselves is the way we look at death.

Or the way that death is looking to us.

Because by making peace with ourselves it is the measure of what we might feel in the exact moment of death.

Or better said how we accept this passing moment.

And that acceptance is given by what we leave behind us,I mean our facts.

Because our facts speaks for us...I mean..our facts speak with Death itself.

Of course would be unusual to not be afraid of death.

Because fear is common feeling.

Like death is common thing.

But not at a personal level.

So,in my humble opinion I guess we shouldn't be afraid of death.

Therefore the question is:

Are you afraid to die?

People are always fearless when it comes to death until death is at your doorstep. No one knows how they will feel towards death until it's upon them.

At this point, I'm willing to embrace it once it's here, but granted I'm sure I'll have an entirely different reaction not knowing the real story after death. My speculation is I'll be reborn again and start life anew, but again, that's merely a belief. Just like some believe they go to heaven or hell.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Ummm...........Yes...No.....................Maybe?

YouSir

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The older I get, the less fear I have, however, that might be because I'm losing more brain cells. Haha. Actually, I've entertained a thought for a while, and although I'm probably not the first to think it, I haven't delved into who was. Could we be wired genetically to NOT want to kill ourselves...to actually have an ingrained fear of death, for if we didn't, our human race would not thrive? Death may very well be nothing, or it may be the most beautiful experience we'll ever know! If we KNEW it was a "thing of beauty," why would we want to live lives that sometimes harbor so much pain and anguish? THINK....if we REALLY KNEW death was a beautiful experience, what would we do? Hmmmm.....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I have cystic fibrosis. When I was first diagnosed, the doctors told my parents that I may not live to celebrate my 10th birthday. As you can clearly see, I've beaten that statistic, but I'm still in a fight for my life, and it's a race against time.
In October i celebrate my 40th birthday. The odds that I won't get to celebrate my 40th birthday are 1 in 2....
I'm not afraid of death i cant wait for the next big adventure...
Now go and hug your family, tell them you love them, and be grateful that your life is so simple, because things could be a lot worse.peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

Thank you for putting things back in perspective, when I lose touch with it. Blessings be with you always!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Its not the fear thats hard to swallow. Its the 'regret' everone feels when they die. The regret that you cant carry on (despite how hard life is and believing you dont want to). That is the wonder of life...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by combatmaster

Its the 'regret' everone feels when they die.
The strong one with a strong faith has no regrets Ever.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm not afraid to die. I am afraid to suffer leading up to death, however. There are some intensely unpleasant and protracted ways that people can approach death, and that does frighten me. I'd like to think that I'll die "in my sleep," whatever that even really means, or heavily sedated and in no pain. But there's no guarantee of that and I often wonder how many people truly die "peacefully" as doctors indicate and how many are just examples of doctors sparing people's feelings.

Provided I don't suffer too much, I don't fear the actual idea of dying. Even if I'm agnostic and don't know if anything awaits me afterwards.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
"I'm not afraid of dying / pieces of me die all the time" - Sage Francis

I'm certainly not afraid of dying. I feel that little experiences in your life prepare you for the eventuality. Whether it be other people you love dying, the mass killings you hear about in the news desensitizing you to death, things people do to you that hurt, or situations you yourself have had to live through and the things you've had to do in life. All of these things, for me at least (and I know some of the things I have had to do aren't normal), come together to paint a picture of death that makes it almost welcoming. It's not that I want to die, I just know that it will happen and that when it does there won't be any more worries.

What I AM worried about is the circumstances of my death. Not whether it is painful or not, but whether my life has meant something.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Of course I'm afraid of death. Its the great unknown and all the answers people have come up with don't help me in the slightest allaying it. I've seen the dead bodies of many people including loved ones and it does not look positive at all from my perspective.

Anybody who says they aren't afraid really are just putting on a brave face. Few people would stick their arm in a dark hole in the ground without knowing what would happen when they did. Few people would invest money into a complete unknown without any clue as to what they're investing in or what outcome they would get from it. Fear of death is very practical and from what we can tell from the side of the living it looks like it sucks.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Not really. Hopefull we will find the real answers to all these mysteries that we all seek the answers to.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

When I read the thread title I thought "Now this is pretentious. This is rhetoric."

You didn't name it "What happens after death?" You're not asking the universe. You've already made up your mind. You're directing your intellectual guns at others.

Anyway, I could see it all before I even clicked on the thread. That doesn't make me right, but it does make me wonder how I arrived at my conclusions before clicking on it.

But of course people fear death. It's logical. Self-preservation is across all species with some altruism mixed in. Some animals are more social or much more social than others.

If you believe that there's no death, since there's an after-life, then I can just argue that your original fear of death caused you to embrace an after-life fantasy to escape from the original fear. This is no different than any other belief that attempts to define death and "control" it.

Some people deal with fear of death by investing themselves in their family or in their profession. After they die, they leave behind the results of their labor. Their children will live on and possibly have other children, thus spreading their genetic tree into the future. If they left behind a book or a construction, it will remain for some years after. If they're lucky, they'll be famous. In this way, they overcome death. This is better than investing yourself in good looks. Looks will fade as you grow old and die with you. This is why people say not to be vain. You need to invest in something that will outlast your own death. Evenso, nothing is forever, so everything has some vanity.

Everybody copes in different ways, but everybody has at one time or another feared.
edit on 24-4-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

When I read the thread title I thought "Now this is pretentious. This is rhetoric." You didn't name it "What happens after death?" You didn't even ask a general question.
Oh sorry about that I guess I should reformulate the question but I don't know how.

"What happens after death?" or in the exact moment of death but I am very confused about your words at this moment.

You're directing your intellectual guns at others.

Oh sorry but I am afraid of guns.

Anyway, I could see it all before I even clicked on the thread.
I am glad you did ,I am not very good with this kind of subjects.

Thank you jonnywhite for your answer in this thread.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

This is science fiction and not even good science fiction, but it relates to your "question":

I was going to write something about the video but I'll not define it for others. When I originally saw the video I did not have anybody telling me what to think about it.

We each have our own opinions that we must forge ourselves. Disagreement is just the nature of this universe. Our brain cannot grasp much beyond itself (if even itself). We cannot understand everything. For example, my single life is just 1/7,000,000,000th of total human experience in 2013. Over the past 100 years, probably a billion more can be added. Over the course of our species life, many millions more. Across earth species, countless numbers. So I am very small.

Opinions are opinions. Despite how small I am, I still fiercely hold onto them.
edit on 24-4-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I should be dead a thousand times, until I met Bill, and he is a friend of mine now. In my heart I know that there is something important that I need to do in my lifetime. What it is? Who knows. I might push a kid out of the way of a car who then becomes the President. And then the next day I will probably accidentally step in front of a bus. I would like to go out in something like a spectacular Blimp accident, but it will probably be from one to many cheesburgers. But no, I am not afraid.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No. It is part of life.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i think a lot of people who say they are not afraid to die are kidding themselves. they claim they're not afraid but then want to dictate the manner of dying. or they are concerned about their loved ones. in other words they want a "conditional death". you wont know if you're afraid or not unless you are very very close to death.

many christians embrace their faith because they are afraid to die. their ego cant accept the idea of being snuffed out so they adopt beliefs that assure them they will live forever in a paradise. some even as co-rulers with their god. what a power trip!

lastly from an unknown author;-
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

EVERYONE has regret when they die.... not regret of wrong decisions made/wrong beliefs held. But 'regret' (or more correctly - 'dissatisfaction'), of not being able to carry on in life.

"But there are many who dont want to carry on in life", one could respond. WRONG. Everyone wants to play the game (live). Its just some people quit because they dont like the hand they have been dealt. And if you do quit, it doesn't mean you dont regret not being able to play the game the way you think you want to.

This 'regret' is the one thing all human beings have in common. We all feel the same thing and that is WE WANT TO LIVE.

If there is one living being in this world that can claim that they don't want to live, then they would stop breathing on the spot until they are dead. Only then are they true to their claim.

Faith has nothing to do with this. Faith cannot triumph knowledge. It cannot stop you from being what all living beings are, LIVING. You want to live, no matter what. But you eventually die, because you cant always get what you want (especially immortality). Therefore, not 'fear', but regret/dissatisfaction.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join