It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you afraid to die?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by piequal3because14
reply to post by CJCrawley

Q. Who wants to live to be 90?

A. 89 year olds.
Depends on the culture and habits.

I beg to differ.

The only people who welcome death are those in chronic pain or have a very poor quality of life. Anyone who has a reasonable quality of life doesn't want to die; I don't care what culture you're from.

My father suffered a major heart attack at 71 from which he recovered, and lived another 10 years.

He always knew he was on borrowed time and in fact was quite fatalistic about the matter - what will be will be.

He strayed from his doctor-recommended diet and began to eat an unhealthy, fatty diet with the rationale "It's too late, son, the damage is done now."

But in his final days in hospital when death was imminent, he was terrified.

He actually had a peaceful death, dying in his morphine-induced sleep.

In his waking moments however, he was beside himself with fear.

It's something I will always remember.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

We all have to be careful as you can never talk about one group as though the beliefs you have about them is a blanket for all?
I am in chronic pain with untreated serious orthopedic and internal injuries, yet I do not feel or think what you think people who suffer and are in chronic pain should feel.
I ended my mental suffering when I stopped thinking of all the negative thoughts that were causing me such suffering.
Acceptance, in full acceptance of my pain, and by understanding of my suffering, my experience changed.
I do not torture myself with repeated thoughts of the past or fears of the future , I focus on NOW.
The injuries and the pain is still there but I do not reject pain as an experience, nor do I expect it.
I am not afraid of death and I love life.
I do not live in the past or future I live in the now.

So for those who think people all think or feel as they they do about death I would say its incorrect to assume and project unsubstantiated beliefs or fears on anyone else.
For it is entirely possible to live free from fears and desires.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

What did I say that you disagree with?

I do not feel or think what you think people who suffer and are in chronic pain should feel.

I never said they should feel anything.

What I said was that people basically want to live and are scared of death, unless their lives are sufficiently compromised.

I think that's a fairly reasonable position.

I don't understand your criticism at all.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding , there was no criticism, it was just a reply and question from someone who is "compromised".
I do disagree(not criticize) with the idea that "people" are scared of death unless sufficiently " compromised" .
For what does compromised mean in this sentence?
Suffering?
Who isn't "compromised" every time they think thoughts that cause them suffering, constantly fear pain , living only in the past or imagining a future?
Thats the meaning of "compromised" to me.
There are other "people" who are considerably "compromised" and yet they are afraid of death.

edit on 25-4-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Death is a secret becuase we avoid it. I fear more than death but the knowing I will die motivates me.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yes, I am. Courage is peeing your pants in fear of something, but getting in the car and driving there anyways.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm not afraid of death, I am afraid of a life not worth living.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
As a kid the conclusion that being dead implied ME not existing anymore and that terrified me.

As a teen and in my early adult hood I thought of myself as invincible, and was too busy living to think about death.

Then one of life's cruel lessons came to pass, throwing me in deep depression. Nothing mattered and I would have welcomed death at that point in my life, actually I was thinking of myself as a walking dead anyway.

As a parent I worry more about how it would affect my child, but other than that I'm OK with it, though I don't long for it anymore, it's the contract of life I suppose. To get to be born we have to accept to die. Agree with what was said about painful deaths of course...

As for the afterlife I don't know what's in store but kind of agree with the following:

Originally posted by pacifier2012

If there's nothing beyond death there is nothing be afraid of.

If there is a God beyond the grave... I have nothing to be afraid of.

Makes life sweet and simple with no possible surprises at the end.

I would have to add
if there is
- reincarnation - back to school, there is no way I've learned it all, hopefully I learned something
- a God that cares about the creation - all is well
- following a particular religion was important - I'm screwed.

I do envy the people with strong purpose or beliefs, even if they are wrong their look on life and death probably makes it easier.
edit on Apr 25, 13 by mimer because: Being nicer.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I don't see why people would be scared. Have fun with the time you got.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I felt the need to reply to this thread due to some personal experiences I have recently had with death.

Approximately a year ago I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Epilepsy. Which is to say that I have a genetic disorder that makes me prone to extreme, and unpredictable cascading siezures. Without going into a long story about my many hospital visits this last year I will give a "quick" summary.

This last year, due to my many siezures I have been declared medically dead(including heart, lungs, and brain) on 3 seperate occasions. On each occasion I would remain "dead" for around 2-3 minutes(Just long enough for them to make the call each time, and distress my family with the "news".
) before my Doctors would get me kickstarted. During my final known siezure event, I siezed nonstop for three days before my Neurologist made to the call to have me placed into a vegatative state(a chemical coma) to stop them.

All of that is just to say that I have been declared dead on three occasions this year (For a total of approximately 8 minutes), and spent seven full days as a human vegitable. Without going into my own personal experiences (that would be whole other thread I think) I will say this... I now have no fear of death.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Shark_Feeder because: Typos...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Ummm...Wow...I'm glad to read your voice again and thankful that you chose to remain on this side of the veil for a while more. I kind of know what you experianced but the vehicle that brought me to that point was intentional on my part.

Some years ago, I was staying in a Zen Buddhist monastery and took part in a "session" basically, a seven day (from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm), meditation. A part of my personal makeup is strength, or power of character/will, I can become quite intense and intimidating just by the sheer amount of focus or energy that I apply to tasks that peak my interest. While I meditate I put ALL of my focus and concentration into the meditation...I have gained the ability to completely quell thought while at the same time maintaining hyper awareness and focus. What I choose to focus on is "NOT" or the concept of void...not in a conceptualization or visualization sense but in the sense that I create emptyness...or void.

One of the dangers of this type of meditation is that you begin to access your autonomic system and can unwittingly skew those delicate balances that are best left to their own working.

During this sesssion I chose to explore the means and mechanisms of death or passing from both a spiritual or energy standpoint and a more physical aspect. In essence I found that path out from existance in the physical to that other side............I WILLED...my "SELF" the I, the animating factor...out of life as a body inhabitant...

The place that I found my awareness in was somewhat like you stated yet at the same time much more....I felt that wonderful peace...that warmth...yet at the same time I experianced an infinite sense of energy and strength and love...My awareness became so expansive that during that time I knew and comprehended,felt and experianced...entirety. All, of knowing was laid bare, not before me...but within me...It was like I had emerged from that small and cramped human form and expanded untill my consciousness expressed itself in all things...everywhere. In that time and place I knew the wonderous order inherent in everything observed and not yet seen by eyes alone...the sheer beauty of existance beyond the grasp of hands and imagination.

Such a warm, wonderous, love filled place....how could I ever leave?

I thought of family...and ties that bind...and not being the auther of harm, or sorrow, or tears...As much as I longed to stay I could not cause such sharp pain to bloom in the lives of those who love me and that I love. I chose to reverse the process and I was thankful that I had not stepped fully into what awaits. The hardest thing that I have ever done was to return again into my body...not because I longed to stay...but because I almost could not. As I made that reverse journey...it was to find that my organs were failing...my physical nature was in the process of dying.

I had discovered the doorway that led beyond death and almost locked myself on the other side...Needless to say, I did return. For months after I had to guard against slipping into organ failures and especially guard my sleep. Over time those leaving lesions healed and I fully integrated. I remember how that path treads, how that door is unlocked, how to travel through that wonderous exit, that exalting step from december into summer.

I dont ask for assurance or belief, this was a personal journey that one day I will take again...I simply want to offer reassurance and to let you know that I also know....I love every moment of this life. The aching joints, stiff muscles, the visual splendor of the milkyway on a crisp winters night. but when my time does roll around, when I finally shuffle off and leave this battered body behind, those tears will not only be for that sad ache for children and grandchildren...but for warmth and joy and for love as I find my way out of life...and slowly wander home.

YouSir

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I want to die like my Grandfather. In my sleep, peacefully. Not screaming and pissing my pants like the passengers in his car.

Just had to get that in.
Like another poster said, I'm afraid to die before I feel my work is done. My kids are still young, they will need me for years to come. I hope. It saddens me to think they would be going through a bad time, thinking to themselves "I wish Dad was here". I do not want to die, there's too much to be seen. I would love to live a thousand years and see what the future holds. Get to finally go to the stars.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm not afraid of death just the short or long-lived pain that may or may not be accompanied with it. I see it as a transition into higher realms.

If life after death was proven fact think how differently people would live their lives! Not only living a life without fear but using your life to work towards a beneficial afterlife for yourself.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

The Human deices Kills you 60 - to 100 years

To know something you need to be abscess free .
I think its time to wake up, I told my self is there a way??
To remove all abscess from the body, Brain, all body parts.
Don't know no antidote for white glue aka abscess
ok Well after you guys explorer more about these gooey
Junk producing in your body, well right after you eat it.
Yes in your food plate, Well lets ask our self's,? Were those these abscess come from ? Well when you go deep in the files.
Mix is Glue & Gas Yes that’s it. Yes pretty munch I'm saying .
That when you go shopping your store could be victim.
With injections of clear white liquids, Over knight gets more cold.
When do you feel safe. Well I starred with clocked nose
inside the nose blood drying throw time and pain called
Eternity bleeding , Really want feel that clocked part inside
Smoke a blunt of Marijuana after the effect, If you feel low and stupid.
Then you might be effected, With new zombie daises drying you slow from the inside. Experiments don't pay they inject take you
Bring you back over night , Don’t feel safe If you get a lock head over night. After blockhead comes dices Extent's
Your full of abscess & you get no blood circulation, Then called cancer + all your body parts turn cold

You get no energy ,You feel weak & like really feeling like not doing anything. Well anti doe for all these is you, Do you care.
Or you could be just one of the last ones with full abscess clear mind. Full Capacity Blooded Brains That Could Live Up To
More than 1000 Years To 100000 Years Beyond. So yes I’m saying that your blood is the antidote for the problem is, That when you get abscess inside, You might feel head pain. That’s when you know your effected you will die 100 years or less. Unless we find way to cure it. Well one anti doe is whiskey I tried Jack Daniels ,/wow these # Unsticks it but then moves forward sticks back & blocks front brains. So you need to drink 40 jack Daniel's in 2 months to be abscess free.

So i don't fear death, After all

edit on 27-4-2013 by Sydrotome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not afraid of death. But I find the thought of not existing, the 'me' being wiped out unfathomable and horrible.
I imagine death itself is just like going to sleep. I mean if you didn't wake up one morning you wouldn't be any the wiser! But if it's true there is something beyond, how wonderful.
It's protracted suffering beforehand that I'd be afraid of.
edit on 27-4-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

Starred for this. Beautifully put.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eonnn

If life after death was proven fact think how differently people would live their lives! Not only living a life without fear but using your life to work towards a beneficial afterlife for yourself.

People who have had near death experiences do say this.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I have cystic fibrosis. When I was first diagnosed, the doctors told my parents that I may not live to celebrate my 10th birthday. As you can clearly see, I've beaten that statistic, but I'm still in a fight for my life, and it's a race against time.
In October i celebrate my 40th birthday. The odds that I won't get to celebrate my 40th birthday are 1 in 2....
I'm not afraid of death i cant wait for the next big adventure...
Now go and hug your family, tell them you love them, and be grateful that your life is so simple, because things could be a lot worse.peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

I work for a lab at Case Western University in the Cystic Fibrosis research department, I hope our efforts are having an effect.

I must say it is hard to work with a condition that isn't as popular as cancer.
I hope I don't offend by putting it that way, but let me tell you there are always those of us that are fighting for those of you stricken with this genetic disorder.

One of our research scientists has Cystic fibrosis, too.
She is one of the more dedicated!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I'm not afraid of death. But I find the thought of not existing, the 'me' being wiped out unfathomable and horrible.
I imagine death itself is just like going to sleep. I mean if you didn't wake up one morning you wouldn't be any the wiser! But if it's true there is something beyond, how wonderful.
It's protracted suffering beforehand that I'd be afraid of.
edit on 27-4-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

Your view is very similar to mine, but I don't fear not existing because I've always wondered if it would have been better to have never existed in the first place. If you do suddenly cease to exist you would be none the wiser and it might be more peaceful than all the chaos going on here. Ignorance is bliss.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RothchildRancor

RothchildRancor
I go to the The Minnesota Cystic Fibrosis Center my DR is Warren Warwick he invented the chest wall oscillation device as I'm sure you know..
I know Cystic Fibrosis isn't up there with cancer and there isn't much funding for it I'm happy to know there is people out there fighting this genetic disorder that has taken so many of my friends and it will take me in the end the only hope I have is a lung transplant and as you know that doest always work either..
When you have fatal disorder like i have you face death everyday thats why I don't fear it I use to but not anymore Ive made it to 39 and its been a fight I hope they find a cure for the next generation of CFrs..
Thank you for helping with the fight we need a lot more like you to win this battle for life..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join