It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto lawsuit threat may put an end to extremely popular GMO labeling law in Vermont

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This bill has overwhelming public support. The people have been demanding this for years now and its finally in the legislature and ready to pass but, a threat of a lawsuit from Monsanto has it tied up in committee, possibly until the end of the legislative session, at which point it will die.

Monsanto Threatens to Sue Vermont if Legislators Pass a Bill Requiring GMO Food to Be Labeled

Despite overwhelming public support and support from a clear majority of Vermont’s Agriculture Committee, Vermont legislators are dragging their feet on a proposed GMO labeling bill. Why? Because Monsanto has threatened to sue the state if the bill passes.

The popular legislative bill requiring mandatory labels on genetically engineered food (H-722) is languishing in the Vermont House Agriculture Committee, with only four weeks left until the legislature adjourns for the year. Despite thousands of emails and calls from constituents who overwhelmingly support mandatory labeling, despite the fact that a majority (6 to 5) of Agriculture Committee members support passage of the measure, Vermont legislators are holding up the labeling bill and refusing to take a vote.

Instead, they’re calling for more public hearings on April 12, in the apparent hope that they can run out the clock until the legislative session ends in early May.

What happened to the formerly staunch legislative champions of Vermont’s “right to know” bill? They lost their nerve and abandoned their principles after Monsanto representative recently threatened a public official that the biotech giant would sue Vermont if they dared to pass the bill. Several legislators have rather unconvincingly argued that the Vermont public has a “low appetite” for any bills, even very popular bills like this one, that might end up in court. Others expressed concern about Vermont being the first state to pass a mandatory GMO labeling bill and then having to “go it alone” against Monsanto in court.

Al terNet

Monsanto seems bound and determined to keep the American public in the dark about what they're putting into our food supply. In spite of the fact that most other countries in the world require labeling or have outright BANNED this stuff until it can be proven safe, America lags behind in the movement to protect its consumers.

Just another example of who really runs things in this country. Government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations ONLY.

They're citizens now, thanks to the Supreme Court. Better get used to them calling the shots from now on. Us little guys don't count for a hill of GMO beans in this country anymore.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Go ahead, label them. I'll still buy GMO foods. I'm not afraid of whatever everyone else is afraid of. Monsanto is certainly a bully when it comes to agribusiness, but GMO foods are fine. Safer, in fact, than "organic" foods.
edit on 22-4-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Several legislators have rather unconvincingly argued that the Vermont public has a “low appetite” for any bills, even very popular bills like this one, that might end up in court. Others expressed concern about Vermont being the first state to pass a mandatory GMO labeling bill and then having to “go it alone” against Monsanto in court.
(Op Link)

Sounds to me like Vermont needs to change more than their labeling. They have some Representatives who aren't Representing the public anymore. Sadly though....it doesn't seem to be unique to that state or anything recent for the Super Court ruling on the Citizens United case. In fact? Just where does Government stop and Monsanto start?

That whole line between those we elect to protect us ..and those who care about profit and quarterly statements over the public health is downright blurry, isn't it? ...if it even exists at all anymore.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Just goes to show that monsatan has too much power. It doesn't matter what the actual voting public wants. How hard would it be to pass a law, so they couldn't sue?

Legislators need to grow a set, for crying out loud.

@ datroof:

Seriously, safer?????? Show me the proof of that please.

NM, I've seen you in other threads before.

edit on 22-4-2013 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What ever happened to people's right to know what is in the food they eat. I think Monsanto and their High priced legal team is bending the laws. By bullying the public with legal crap they can get away with almost anything....if we let them. Within five years we will be totally dependant on Monsanto for food. This is not the first time big business teamed with different government agencies has tried to take over our food supply, and it will not be the last. With the new discovery that a tiny amount of Hydrogen Sulfide can make plants start faster and be bigger, I guess we do not need Monsanto. Funny how a little Hydrogen Sulfide is released by the egg shells we used to start veggies in
It is also in cow Manure at proper levels when it is composted.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Just google "organic food fecal content". The rest is up to you. I can't convince you if you're dead set to believe it's better to use manure which hasn't properly composted as fertilizer. I don't like E.coli and/or salmonella, do you?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Monsanto is above the law.
This will only get worse as drought, floods and bee die offs increase.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

No, but since I grow my own, and know what is in my garden, I won't worry about it. Which means mine is safer!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Personally I am not alright with GMO foods. GMOs have great potential, but it has been squandered by companies such as Monsanto. They are more than simply bullies. Spend two hours reading everything you can about them and most likely you will see that it would be hard to create a fictional company that is quite as overtly evil as they. Their products are in so many name brand foods, making them hard to avoid altogether, but I make sure that as little of my money as possible end up in their hands.

I despise them.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Just goes to show that monsatan has too much power. It doesn't matter what the actual voting public wants. How hard would it be to pass a law, so they couldn't sue?

Legislators need to grow a set, for crying out loud.

@ datroof:

Seriously, safer?????? Show me the proof of that please.

NM, I've seen you in other threads before.

edit on 22-4-2013 by chiefsmom because: addition

Monsatan.... Spectacular.

Not enough people fully realize how fantastically evil the company is. I've mentioned this in other threads, but it always remains a pretty decent description, Monsanto is essentially Umbrella Corp.

We as a nation bicker about partisan politics, gay marriage, abortion, what to have for dinner, while Monsanto slowly gains a choke hold over our government and our lives, and most people don't even know the company exists. It's truly a sad state of affairs.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

We don't have to worry about the bee's anymore, hell, we have robotic ones that will be able to pollinate monsatan's crops!

It really boggles the mind, how the general public is blissfully unaware how powerful and far reaching monsatan has become.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Just google "organic food fecal content". The rest is up to you. I can't convince you if you're dead set to believe it's better to use manure which hasn't properly composted as fertilizer. I don't like E.coli and/or salmonella, do you?

Every idiot knows that you're supposed to wash your fruits and vegetables before you eat them. They're grown in the outdoors where they can come into contact with ANYTHING. If you stick something from the outside in your mouth without washing it first, you're just asking for trouble.

I'll bet most cases of food poisoning results from food preparers not taking the time to wash the veggies before putting them in the food.

Add to that the risk of nasty pesticides on commercially grown fruits and veggies and the risk is about even either way.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

E.coli permeates the food itself, it can't simply be washed off. For the record, I encourage as much individual farming as possible. Just please do it responsibly and don't get your neighbors sick by giving away homegrown food that hasn't been tested.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Monsanto = Mark of the beast.....? No question in my mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Monsatan.......I like it.....Maybe it will go viral....freedom of speech gives us the right to rename the company. It really isn't blasphemy either so people cannot get sued. It's just hard to know how to spell and pronounce their real name

Saton would be better, it is just a rearrangement of the letters.

edit on 22-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

She didn't invent the pun. I've seen it across the web for years. It's even in Urban Dictionary.

www.urbandictionary.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I saw it once, and won't refer to them as anything else.
They play low and dirty, and use any method possible to get their way.

You know, the old saying... If the shoe fits....

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
sometimes folks are remarkably dumb. simply go the other way, require certain type of foods known to be GMO foods to be labeled NON-GMO if they are not. If your product is sold in vermont, and it is non-gmo, then you must state that in writing on your product sheet.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Thanks darling! I wasn't claiming I did!

By the way, I have been giving my veggies away for years.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Your system would work if Monsatan wins. I think it is better to crush the giant though, strip it of all it's power. It's not like it is a friendly giant. Many big companies are good, most are misled though. Our whole system of food control in this country is screwed up. The farmer makes little under the way it is and he takes a lot of risk.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join