It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn......my dog is fat!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by 123143

Because I think animals shouldn't be enslaved just to be pets? The love of your slaves keep you sane? Is that it?

Here's an idea.. make friends with people.

My dog (pet - non working) is not enslaved to anyone. If anything, I am enslaved to her. I arrange my work schedule so she is left alone at home for the minimum time possible. I pay for and provide her food, vetinary care, toys, treats and days out. I take her out for at least 30 mins, at least 3 times a day. Whenever we are going out, we go somewhere she can come with us so we can all have FUN.

This is the absolute most basic concept of owning a non-working pet - having FUN.

Taking care of, and not expecting anything from an animal is much, much more moral than keeping animals for burden or work (no matter how well cared for - and im not bashing the working animal keepers here, I am well aware of how vital they are to our civilisation)

In particular, the history between humans and dogs is one of symbiosis. We took them in to our homes and fields in prehistoric times, even before the spoken or written word was developed. Dogs as a race have been created by humans, and conversely, we as a race have been shaped by the presence of dogs in our lives. And in these prehistoric times they have not just been kept for their ability to work for us - some dogs were buried with very young children in the UK and have been found in graves older than Stonehenge alongside farmers, children, women and warriors.

Lastly, I have what you would regard a reasonably segregated existence. I work unusual hours, and never have weekends off. So much so that I cannot see my friends, family or even my partner as much as I would like. But you know what? having that happy little 4 legged wagger waiting for me to come home from work at 1am and greeting me with a facefull of licks and a groin-pain inducing series of jumps makes me feel less isolated and unconditionally loved.

She is my best friend, and I hope I am the person she thinks I am.

You sir, just don't get it.

p.s. dogs have been in peoples lives for far longer than any religion or deity - that is why they are so universally cherished. they are a part of us!
edit on 13-4-2013 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565

come on - been waiting all day for the pic of your allegedly fat canine best friend
I bet he / she is cute as a button - where is the pic ???

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

My phone is broken and I don't have a digital camera.

I will as soon as possible, I'm supposed to get a new phone on Monday.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Sorry......hopefully on Monday. He's a Chihuahua mix, he has kinda long hair and his name is 'Bear'.
He's a cutie looks like a puppy but he's 5 years old.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

he sounds like a little cutey - lookin forward to seeing him
Hopefully he is slimmer then this gorgeous, cute little porker ..

edit on 14-4-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

He isn't that fat! He just has a 'beer belly' and short legs if he doesn't slim down his belly is going to be dragging.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Check for hypothyroidism. Products like FrontLine and Advantage (for ticks and fleas) carry the risk of causing this condition. I found out the hard way after requesting the ex-husband NOT allow the vet to apply the stuff to my dogs - one way he ended up with the "ex" in front of his salutation.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

where is his pic then

second

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

I love my pets, and I have a LOT of them. We have lots of room for them, and a long time ago, I told my wife if we ever had land, she could have animals. Man, I had no idea. We came into a ranch, and now it is like a zoo.

We have 5 cats in the house, and 6 dogs (2 big dogs, 4 chihuahuas). We have two birds (one is small, the other is a talking Cockatoo). It is a big house though, and the dogs spend a lot of time outside. The cats hang out in the screened porch a lot (the ManCave). The birds have large cages, but when I'm home, the big one is usually on the back of my chair or on my shoulder.

We also have 3 horses in our main stable and we board 2 other horses in the second stable. We also have two bunnies (that we just discovered are male and female, not two males like we thought). There are also two stable cats outside (actually belong to a former boarder, but they've lived there all their lives, so we let them stay).

Our pets all seem very happy, and seem to enjoy their lives. Heck, I guess I would too if I could eat and sleep all day. They do all get lots of exercise though, even the bunnies. We have ferret leashes we use to have the bunnies out. We have lots of big open fenced in areas for animals to roam. Luckily, we have a live in friend who can take care of them each day for room, board, and a commission from the shop. My stepson also recently moved in, so he's helping out as well. It takes a LOT of work to maintain a clean and fresh house with this menagerie.

When my wife and I go to sleep, all the chihuahuas, 1 of the big dogs, and 2 of the cats generally sleep with us in the bed (it's a big bed). They know the time, and they happily jump up and nestle in, often before we do. The other big dog will either sleep with my stepson or our ranch gal...and the other cats, wherever they are happy. None of them prefer being "free". We've only ever had two animals lost, and thanks to aggressive poster campaigns, we recovered both. They about licked our faces off when we were reunited...so preferring to be "free"? Not my pets.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That was a great post. Love to hear about happy families.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
To the OP's question (sorry for the derail)...I'd agree with the idea of a gradual diet reduction and try and exercise the dog. I'd also recommend a vet checkup.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I really like people like you. I love people who love animals .. especially when they care for them really well.
I have 4 birds too, they are alot of work. they have big cages and at least 8 hours flying time a day.
I wish I could return them to Africa where they were from originally - but they were born in captivity in England, I know because I knew them when they were eggs.

I would love my birds to be free - but it would be cruel and a death sentence - they are lovebirds

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 123143

You were absolutely right! I couldn't put my finger on it, but you hit the nail on the head!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if you answered this already, What kind of dog? We have a Daschund......Weiner dog, I swear his legs aren't longer than 3 1/2 inches long, and he also weighs 20 pounds. He has a playmate, a cat that out weighs him by at least a pound.

Now, our two previous dogs we had, and I would recommend to anyone, are English Mastiffs. Our male weighed 180, and our female 120.

Just love him for what he is.

Side note, It's funny to watch the dog try to get at his hind end, he has to sit up and do it, and falls over 90 % of the time!!!!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join