It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

150 Labour MPs snub Commons tribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
150 MPs deliberately snubbed a Commons debate to mark the death of the former Tory PM after Parliament had been specially recalled for the occasion

The huge swathes of empty spaces on the Opposition benches spoke volumes today as more than 150 Labour MPs delivered their damning verdict on Margaret Thatcher. They deliberately snubbed a Commons debate to mark the death of the former Tory PM after Parliament had been specially recalled for the occasion.

The Great No-Show came as David Cameron was accused of cynically exploiting the ex-Premier’s passing for his own political gain. By 8.30pm just four Labour MPs – Phil Wilson, Tom Blenkinsop, Thomas Docherty and Heidi Alexander – remained as the scheduled seven and a half hour session continued. Earlier in the day only a handful of left-wingers turned out – and then only speak up for those whose lives were blighted by the Thatcher regime’s vicious and divisive policies.

They accused Thatcher – who famously used to shout “No, No, No!” at European leaders – of showing a “brutal contempt” for the unemployed, trying to bring the NHS to its knees, promoting greed and fuelling homelessness. Less than half Labour’s 257 MPs were present to hear leader Ed Miliband’s eloquent speech, despite appeals from party whips.

Source

I know everyone has an opinion on MT, whether she did right or wrong to the UK, I didn't agree with how they disrespected a tribute too her, she isn't the only MP to hurt the UK & it's economy, but I doubt they even care. How would they feel if they got snubbed at a tribute after working 11 years? She fought to do what she thought was right, she might not have been right, but she still stood up for what she believed in.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
GOOD! I agree with them completely and I agree with the celebration parties that will be happening on Wednesday to celebrate that witches death. The clueless on here who were never affected think it's of bad taste to say such things and we should think of her family at this time. Just like she thought of all the poor, suffering families of the north as she decimated their livelihood. Good riddance.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
At least none of those 150 out of 650 will be able to claim expenses just for turning up.

MPs can claim up to £3,750 in travel costs to pay tribute to Margaret Thatcher in parliament today - sparking warnings the bill could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Parliament’s expenses watchdog has confirmed that MPs can put their travel costs to attend the special session of parliament on expenses – including their family.

news.uk.msn.com...

As I understand it, some MP's have said they will not be claiming expenses for this; it would be interesting to see how many of them do.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am quite pleasantly surprised.

Whilst I don't think it would be seemly for an elected Member of Parliament joining in the numerous party's and celebrations but at least 150 MP's do have some conscience and strength of conviction.

I understand that The Tory's will laud her as a great leader etc but she could never be described as a great parliamentarian.
Why would anyone who disagreed so much with her policies go to Westminster just to listen to people repeatedly state what a great person she was and how she 'saved' Britain etc?
And the cost incurred to the taxpayer is pretty galling considering the constant moralising and preaching about the need for austerity etc.

Would you have preferred all the politicians who had no respect or liking for the woman and her policies go to the debate and a) turn it into something remeniscent of a primary school group arguement, or b) sit there quietly and pretend they had some respect for her and take their expenses etc?
I'm amazed that there was anywhere near 150 MP's who apparently do have some sort of personal morals and ethics.

At least one politician had the 'balls' to tell it like it is in the recent 'debate'.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It's funny isn't it that people are all weirded out when people are expected to weep, wail and give tribute to the likes of old Kim Jong Il, yet get all offended when people show the courage of their convictions in snubbing something they don't agree with in whats supposed to be a free country?

I don't like the fact that we are all supposed to fawn over the woman, or be forced to choke on our own bile whilst being expected to pay disingenuous lipservice and bow our heads in deep reverence and forced idolatry of someone be it Maggie or otherwise. I don't like that the thought police are out en masse this week.

Not only did they probably save a nice chunk in taxpayers money by sticking to their guns, they probably saved themselves a small fortune in all the Gavisgon and anti sickness tablets they'd have had to chug down for 7 hours
straight.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What was the point of the debate anyway. There's not much to debate. I just see the Torries using the whole event as almost a PR exercise, with the huge funeral, being attended by the queen. Now that is debatable.

If something looks, smells and tastes like a state funeral, then it is reasonable to conclude that it is one. The truth is that Lady Thatcher is getting very similar treatment to Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997 or the Queen Mother in 2002.

The decision to acknowledge Lady Thatcher, but not Attlee, makes the Queen appear partisan and is totally out of kilter with the traditional impartiality of the modern British monarchy.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
So what's the debate about?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Exactly.

The level of 'respect' etc afforded Thatcher resembles something I honestly only expected to see in 'left' and 'right' wing authoritarian states.

I don't like that the thought police are out en masse this week.

Hardly surprising the amount of money the police made out of her and her policies.

It is re-assuring that not all police officers buy into the veneration of Thatcher.
www.mirror.co.uk...

reply to post by woodwardjnr

What was the point of the debate anyway. There's not much to debate.

I have absolutely no idea mate

And there wasn't much debating going on as far as I could see - I suspect it's all part of the deification process.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah what the hell was it supposed to be, debate or tribute? It was supposed to be a debate, yet by what that Tory idiot let fall out of his mouth when he tried and failed to smackdown Glenda it was always going to be a tribute.

So who got the wrong memo?

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Yeah what the hell was it supposed to be, debate or tribute? It was supposed to be a debate, yet by what that Tory idiot let fall out of his mouth when he tried and failed to smackdown Glenda it was always going to be a tribute.

That Tory mp is my local mp. Has been and will be for the foreseeable future, here in the Tory safe seat. How depressing is that.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by Suspiria

That Tory mp is my local mp. Has been and will be for the foreseeable future, here in the Tory safe seat. How depressing is that.

Sorry hun.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I am quite pleasantly surprised.

Whilst I don't think it would be seemly for an elected Member of Parliament joining in the numerous party's and celebrations but at least 150 MP's do have some conscience and strength of conviction.

I understand that The Tory's will laud her as a great leader etc but she could never be described as a great parliamentarian.
Why would anyone who disagreed so much with her policies go to Westminster just to listen to people repeatedly state what a great person she was and how she 'saved' Britain etc?
And the cost incurred to the taxpayer is pretty galling considering the constant moralising and preaching about the need for austerity etc.

Would you have preferred all the politicians who had no respect or liking for the woman and her policies go to the debate and a) turn it into something remeniscent of a primary school group arguement, or b) sit there quietly and pretend they had some respect for her and take their expenses etc?
I'm amazed that there was anywhere near 150 MP's who apparently do have some sort of personal morals and ethics.

At least one politician had the 'balls' to tell it like it is in the recent 'debate'.

What i find very telling about that video is the jeer's she was getting from the opposition. Talk about respect? those tory 6 year olds cant even keep their mouths shut when someone else is speaking. It was a Tribute - Waiting for them to release the dvd version to this tribute so we can all be brainwashed over how wonderful she was!

top topics

join