It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy dreams/nightmares when sleeping on one particular side?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There was a point when I was little, about 3-4 years old, that I would consistently and without fail have terrifying dreams whenever I slept on my left side, facing the wall by my bed. Of course I can't remember any specifics, only that the dreams were very dark, often involving large areas like tunnels or space, and seeing or sensing these intense presences reminiscent of Cthulhu. Every night often felt like a battle for my very soul.

I was going to keep this craziness all to myself, but reading through another (unrelated) thread posted several years ago I saw someone mentioned a similar phenomenon, so I thought I would go ahead and see if this is experience is actually much more common than I would've imagined.

Anyone else experience this sort of thing??

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by solarjetman

Check out the archives. I don't remember who started the thread or when exactly, but sometime within the last few years I read a thread here about the exact same experience (good dreams when sleeping on one side/ bad dreams when sleeping on the other side). Apparently there are others who share this experience.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yep i tend to wake up from some weird dreams when sleeping on the left side, also im sometimes having creepy visions even when im subconsious(trying to fall asleep) when lying in the bed on the left side. So i guess its pretty natural

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Perhaps your subconscious made you afraid because you didn't quite know what was behind you. If you slept the other side, your subconscious knew there was a wall which gave protection.

Thanks for posting and glad the boogeyman never took you all those years ago.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Perhaps your subconscious made you afraid because you didn't quite know what was behind you. If you slept the other side, your subconscious knew there was a wall which gave protection.

Thanks for posting and glad the boogeyman never took you all those years ago.

yeah could be but only as i sleep on the left side in my bed the wall is behind me so thats really not the case. For those who believe in paranormal stuff; my bed is located in the same room where my great grandma died decades ago(even before i was born), it might mean something. me personally i dont really care lol.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Not the same but related, if you sleep on your back you're more likely to get sleep paralysis. I've had it a few times, first time was terrifying, can still be a bit unnerving even though I know what it is when it happens now.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Dang, I thought I looked through them thoroughly enough, lol. There should be a tutorial on how to effectively search the archives...

I know I saw many posts about bad experiences sleeping on one's back, often accompanied by sleep paralysis. But I couldn't find anything specifically about one side good one side bad. If you manage to find it, please post it... Thanks!

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I seem to recall reading an article recently how sleeping position can effect dreams, it was something like sleeping on your stomach caused one type of dream to be more prevalent.

Based on what I remember from that article I am sure for different people different positions could result in nightmares or strange dreams.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sleep on the other side if you don't want bad dreams.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

It might not have as much to do with the wall as the configuration of
the digestive tract as you lose consciousness. I know it sounds pre-
posterous, but falling asleep and favoring one sideways position makes
me more prone to Technicolor. Depends on the last meal too, and how
close to bedtime lol. Not kidding there... acid reflux is serious stuff,
especially.if you involuntarily inhale a little broken down Two Alarm.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Interesting... I just started sleeping on my stomach and haven't noticed much so far. I do notice sleeping on my back induces paralysis though, and especially in a moving car stretched out on the backseats or just sitting in my own seat. That's the only position I've really been able to identify without a doubt influencing dreams...

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I found one for you:
Sleep position seems to influence my dreams.

There we go.. Thanks! How did I miss this? Wow, this guy is next level though... How on earth do you consciously change positions while sleeping to affect your dreams? That's like lucid dreaming and being half awake at the same time

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yes, similar experiences: I like sleeping on my back, but I snore, and wake myself up (and the cat)

When I sleep on my right side, I tend more toward sleep paralysis, and while I've learned in my soon-to-be 55 years how to deal with SP, I still don't like it.

If I sleep on my left, my hip hurts the next day.

I sleep on my left side, most of the time, unless I feel lucky.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Sleep on the other side if you don't want bad dreams.

This isn't about stopping the dreaming-- I haven't had those dreams for over twenty years. In fact I think I begged myself to close my mind to those things so I wouldn't go insane, and so it stopped eventually.

This thread is more about examining the phenomenon and studying its causes, prevalence, meaning, etc. hence the forum name "Paranormal Studies"... ?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

what is your typical diet b4 bed?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Is this phenomenon similar to sleep paralysis? Just curious.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by derfreebie

It might not have as much to do with the wall as the configuration of
the digestive tract as you lose consciousness. I know it sounds pre-
posterous, but falling asleep and favoring one sideways position makes
me more prone to Technicolor. Depends on the last meal too, and how
close to bedtime lol. Not kidding there... acid reflux is serious stuff,
especially.if you involuntarily inhale a little broken down Two Alarm.

I have no idea what my last meals were when I was 3 years old lol... but I imagine I ate fairly decently and didn't have many late night snacks or anything. I have heard that sleeping on your left side is good for combating reflux though.

what is your typical diet b4 bed?

I have no idea what it was when this occurred. I'm a late night snacker these days but I haven't had this issue for quite some time...

Is this phenomenon similar to sleep paralysis? Just curious.

No, not really... I mean I do remember having bad dreams that I would wake up in paralysis, trying really hard not to fall back asleep and re-enter the dream, but I think that's not really related. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is similar to astral projecting because I've never done it, but I do remember it feeling like floating around just as a spirit or soul (astral body perhaps?).

While this doesn't usually happen I did actually have a crazy dream last night, and woke up on my right side, but facing very close to the wall, less than a foot away. I wonder if proximity to a wall has anything to do with this phenomenon?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

OK, sounds good.

I read somewhere that if you sleep on your right side, there is better bloodflow most times because there is less pressure on the heart. If there is less or more oxygen to certain parts of the brain, there could be a difference in the chemicals created by the pineal gland, one of which is a psychotropic drug. The mind will also do things to wake us up if the bloodpressure drops to low at night, could a bad dream that wakes us or stimulates adrenaline be a part of the protective process.

My worst nightmare is when I work real hard all night and wake up just before being paid.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
think it deals with the brain lobes, probably the balance of fluid thats in there, when your shifting it around,
thats my guess
. Thats a good way to test it though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join