It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Tunnel/Camp closed by East Bottoms Kansas police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

So Correct, I hate being labeled a Consumer, and Know the detrimental effect it has had on our society.
That is what the PTB want,,, guppies and sheep to Eat what they make, Live in What they Make, and WORK FOR THEM TO MAKE PROFIT.

There is a great book by Raj Patel called THE VALUE OF NOTHING that speaks to this and more, you may be interested in reading it.

thanks for your comments

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
OP, thanks for posting this, in fact, I'm going to link it in a thread I'm making right now on the topic of the Missouri Department of Child Protection...

But, I must insist on addressing the title of this thread, which is misleading. This happened in MISSOURI, NOT in Kansas. It was not Kansas Police.

Kansas City, for those who may not know, straddles the state line. KCMO and KCKS are two different cities that border one another. They have different laws, procedures, and legislatures, and it's important to recognize that it was Missouri's actions to close the tunnels and camp.

Thanks for pointing it out, though. It's an important story.
S/F

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

I agree with you. People make a shelter for themselves and are driven out because it is dangerous. It is far more dangerous to sleep in the streets unprotected and get shot, set on fire or your head smashed in simply for being homeless. I wish we were a more compassionate nation. Even in the UK they raided a camping spot that was used by the homeless and instead of getting rid of it - they made some improvements so that it was safe and people with little to no income and no place to stay could stay there. I thought that was a great thing to do. I can't find that original story but this seems like a decent solution too.

For some of our homeless, why not managed campgrounds?

Many homeless people don't want to be in shelters or the housing officials think they ought to have. So here's an idea: provide campgrounds and revive trailer parks.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I say good job. Any homeless "settlement" ultimately costs whatever community they live in or near money. They are havens for drug use and a source of violent crime. I live near two cities and it see the same cycle happen time and time again-

A homeless person sets up camp somewhere, maybe in an undeveloped wooded lot (like the one in Annapolis Rt2 & Forrest Dr). or in under an overpass (like in Baltimore under Rt40 on MLK) not hurting anyone, then he/she is joined by others because that one person was never hassled by the police, then more with tents, tarps, boxes etc...then the surrounding area becomes dirty, overflowing with human waste, littered, and a place to avoid because of the drugs, beggars and crime. Eventually the police swoop in and clean house when it gets too bad or too many people get mugged.

And yes, I have see a woman taking a dump in a box as school children walked by...
edit on 4/11/2013 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

It can be a major dilemma really. here we have an area out behind all the stores, it has a trail with little bridges and was meant to be a wildlife, bird watching type thing. The homeless live there in the bushes and are regularly kicked out.

The thing is I don't know how to feel because walking there you find needles and garbage all over the ground (even though there are trash cans) the place reeks of human waste and we will never go there again, very sad as the land is very unique and beautiful.

Also my husband had seen a homeless man on the street asking for food. He brought him a bowl of clam chowder and fish and chips from his families restaurant. When he went to the store later and passed the spot he had given the man the food, he was saddened to find the bag and all the wrappings and bowl were on the ground an eye sore, overlooking the harbor from the street. How do you get someone to care about others when they don't care about themselves?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23
reply to post by rockoperawriter

I know a Homeless man here where I live, who has lived nearby in the woods for about 4 years. I just bought some land, and am going to ask him if he want to move up there and help me out,, and he can have a place to stay permanantly,,, or at least as long as I can keep TPTB away. If I can find him,, he was run off the land he had squatted on,,, !! He is smart, educated,, not a drunk or drug user and I have supplied him with Tents, supplies and food before, so think he might trust me some... will see anyway hope to find him he was a good man.

There was a guy just like that on our street. he picked up cans around town, I thought he seems so nice, I was all set to help him. Then I was researching some stuff in our town and came across the child sex crime list with photos and I was stunned to see this guy on it. Then I was worried about him getting kids to his tent in the bushes. Guess you never know about people by looks alone.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I must have misread the Article, and I do know it is on the state line and should have looked more carefully as I know some here in NC ( I live at state line) don't like being confused with SC,,, as if there was that much difference. But My Bad,, not sure I can correct now? Thanks for writing, it is something that needs addressing.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That is what I am talking about, thanks for the Link will be looking at it fully as soon as I post this note.
You are on to what could be done, but everyone has so much Fear,,, like noted earlier by someone,,, '''But what about the Buildings? " I couldn't believe this was a real reaction, and haven't heard back from them yet. Really this is how we think of fellow humans?
I understand where they are coming from,, I just Don't want that kind of Thought Lead Us To Where We Are GOING!

Thanks for adding to what I was trying to convey with your links.
Cheers

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Just proceed with caution. Maybe I am a bit jaded, but trust has to work both ways. He needs to earn your trust too. Like does he have a violent background. Lots of people hit hard times, but isolation is usually a choice and usually to do with mental illness. I don't mean the kind of isolation we all crave at times, but long term is different.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Sorry I cannot download a video , but the above says it all. Is it wrong to feel upset about fellow Humans ??

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Here you go.

thanks Love Hank!

reply to post by steaming

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

I understand, just I don't want to become MORE jaded than I am, so I must see the Good to combat the bad that is evident to us all.

It is hard, but Something has to give for the ''little folk''.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I've always felt that whatever is not being used by others in any way, should be up for grabs communally for use by those less fortunate. I know that's not always a popular opinion, but it's how I feel. I like to imagine that the homeless can at least occasionally find some reasonably safe shelter, but this reminds me that that's not the case.

Many will think, "Well it's private property," and/or, "They're a blight, and it's not safe even for them," and leave it at that. And that's understandable and I respect everyone's point of view. But personally, I can't stop thinking, "Where will they go now?" And part of me even imagines, "Did they form a sort of tribe in those tunnels? Is this in a sense a family being broken up?"

Peace.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I like to imagine that the homeless can at least occasionally find some reasonably safe shelter, but this reminds me that that's not the case.

I agree. There is NO GOOD REASON that buildings sit empty and people are homeless. It's asinine.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Thank you indeed, have returned a Star of gratitude. Have a nice day now.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

But My Bad,, not sure I can correct now? Thanks for writing, it is something that needs addressing.

You can contact the mods using the 'complaints' tag in the Tools ribbon. It's also for suggestions, but you don't see that until you click the 'complaints' button. Often they will change a title for you if it's appropriate.

Just a little tip. But, thanks for acknowledging it. Yeah, it is like it's 'that much of a difference', to those who are accused as guilty of another state's weaknesses.
(Like we don't have our own
)
Go Jayhawks!

edit on 11-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
How do you get someone to care about others when
they don't care about themselves?

It's not the lack of caring,
many factors play into it.
Not having access to good healthy food will effect
energy, health, mental, and willpower.
Over caring can also create traumas, emotional problems,
being the brunt of addictions.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
The Kansas City, Missouri (NOT Kansas) police probably remember a few years ago, when part of the West Bottoms burnt because some homeless people started a fire in a vacant building to keep warm. Things of historical value were lost forever. The area looked like a war zone when the fire was over. BTW, the tunnels were up on the bluffs of the Northeast neighborhood, not in the East Bottoms. Cops do these things because they know that crime moves with the homeless. There's a lot of other bad things going on in the Northeast, but the homeless don't have the money for a bribe, if you know what I mean. KC always was a corrupt town, and maybe people like J. C. Nichols were just polishing a turd.

Edit: Back in the Dirty Thirties, people were also living in tunnels dug into the loess soil of the river bluffs. A vertical wall of the stuff is very stable, as the photo shows.
edit on 10-4-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

That's almost like blaming a forest fire on a cig. IT's a cheap snipe at your political opponent.
Their claims that homeless people caused the fire need solid evidence to be believed, and just having a fire marshal swear that's the way it is, won't cut it.

What if they had no idea how the fire got started, and just blamed it on the homeless?

In the case of Forest fires its even more obvious that it's BS because there is no way in hell that a cig butt would survive the blaze, much less would anyone be able to find the butt and say definitively "This is what started the mega blaze"? No they can't.

There is so much crap we are lied about daily it's mind blowing.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I've always felt that whatever is not being used by others in any way, should be up for grabs communally for use by those less fortunate. I know that's not always a popular opinion, but it's how I feel. I like to imagine that the homeless can at least occasionally find some reasonably safe shelter, but this reminds me that that's not the case.

Many will think, "Well it's private property," and/or, "They're a blight, and it's not safe even for them," and leave it at that. And that's understandable and I respect everyone's point of view. But personally, I can't stop thinking, "Where will they go now?" And part of me even imagines, "Did they form a sort of tribe in those tunnels? Is this in a sense a family being broken up?"

Peace.

In our town there is a shelter started by a citizens group uses donation. The main problem is persons using it can't be on drugs so many don't use it. I think if there were better treatment for drug and alcohol like there used to be county hospitals that really helped.

Soon we will be saying used to be to a lot of other things that helped I guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes, sadly a lot of what once really benefitted people in many different ways seems to be drying up today. Part of it is economic, and part of it is just a trend toward less emphasis on these problems and less general compassion in my opinion. Maybe I'm just getting older and more cynical. But people in general seem more "cold" somehow.

Peace.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join