It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless Tunnel/Camp closed by East Bottoms Kansas police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

I like your idea of opening long vacant buildings to the homeless. They should have a shelter over their heads. They are people too and should be treated as such. I can understand covering the tunnel if it posed a collapse danger to surrounding areas, but otherwise they should have let it be.

I don't think TPTB were ever homeless.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
How I am glad I am not one of these people. It sounds terrifying, but a number of cities are starting to use a new tactic to deal with destitute populations, specifically relocation. A growing number of city governments are trying their hand at transferring homeless people, though it's not really what it seems. More here.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by r4winds

Everybody likes this idea ... until the vacant building is near their home that they worked hard to buy. Any vacant houses in your neighborhood? Imagine 20 or 30 homeless people hearing that they can stay there legally and just moving in. What would homeowners on either side of that house do? I'll tell you, they'd move if they could find a buyer - and if so they'd sell at a rock bottom price. Then the next houses down would follow suit and so on. Some houses selling but most being abandoned (see Detroit). Then eventually your home won't be worth anywhere what you paid for it while the "new neighbors" would have the exact same kind of home for free, keep in mind that you are working 40 hours a week to pay for yours. That's fair.

This idea just will not work anyway, too many "who is going to pay for..." and "what happens when..."

Bottom line is that any vacant buildings opened up need to be safe, need to be regulated and managed which means money. You can't just open the doors and walk away.

edit on 6/14/2013 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join