It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Deploys Combat LASER To Persian Gulf - The New Cold War Goes Full On Dystopian.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

In the big picture I agree - as the preponderance of my created threads indicates. Then again, one needs to avoid nuclear war if one wants to have an Internet to fret over... EMP's and the apocalypse I hear can cause just a slew of 404's.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Kinda hard to do when rogue regime's think they just can't live without them in an ideal world nukes would have never been created, but they were created because the world has never been an ideal place.

Altho some people don't want to avoid a nuclear war which is why it pays to be safe than sorry which is why missile defense sheilds, and laser's get created.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Woot we're laser USA!

Zero Hour was right!

A dollar a shot, I got 20 bucks let me fire that thing a few times

Too bad SI ain't around no more, he was always talking about the FEL that thing looked wicked too.

pew pew!

ironic how heffs op pic got tatooine? looks like some parts of iraq
subliminal?!
edit on 8-4-2013 by Lysergic because: 2muchQQneededmorePEWPEW

edit on 8-4-2013 by Lysergic because: extra pewpew

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

What I keep wondering is if gamma rays cause significant bleaching of material. Could leave some spooky nuclear shadows if so.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I hope this thing has the capabilities to boil water and cut a hole into metal. It's an infrared laser. If it was applied in short bursts at someone's face, could it blind people? Could it cook them on the inside? Will they run around talking to themselves in Arabic, complaining that ships are putting laser beams into their brains?

It's a giant hair removal laser isn't it? Those things can be painful; they feel like a cigarette lighter to the face. That could vaporize outer skin layers, bring a nasty burn, and probably fix some wrinkles on the side.

Maybe it's like the lasers my dentist uses to sculpt a gumline, searing flesh into a scar, for the dental implants. The implant I opted to get instead of a bridge, to repair the tooth and bone damage from some experimental covert, probably navy, directed energy weapon was a few femtometers off, in error, when it was directed at my jawline. Oh yes, that hurts when it's poorly calibrated. It's supposed to be able to see through multiple walls in short range, and vibrate some sort of energy designed to screw with one's brain chemicals (a schizo laser), to make someone go off balance. And it works. A few femtometers off it creates horrible pain, so either way, it works.

So maybe it's the last kind of laser, that when put onto someone's head, it alters their brain chemistry and causes certain neurotransmitters to go off balance, making them mental. So this is where it may be making it's public debut after the experimental trials on people like me?
edit on 8-4-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
well, when the gun first came out, it was fairly useless...it was advanced upon over time...so looks like our future is full of lazers and such and this is just the birth of it.

I wonder if a laser gun counts as a firearm. (a requirement to be a firearm is a projectile fired by gunpowder).

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

If these weapons are being used to destroy incoming nuclear missiles, or any other missiles I for one would like to see these weapons used. I hate war. I do hate the waste of money that this country uses in the name of "protection", but as long as there are Nations willing to make weapons for the sake of destroying other Nations, these type of weapons might be our ace in the hole.

S&F for the good read Heff..........

Hope everyone really thinks of the implications though.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
It will always be that way. Ever since I heard about laser weapons many decades ago, the limitation has never been in the power or the tracking systems, but the fact that our atmosphere exists, and is dirty.

Once you get above a certain power level, anything other than a totally clear day with no water vapour will just cause your fantastic weapon to be a useless fireworks show in the sky.

This will never change.

that may be the case for normal lasers but how exactly can humidity or dust stop high temperature beams of energy? the only issue would be visual/optical tracking systems, but radar and infrared or other systems could easily solve that issue.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Concentrating multiple sources on a single target could produce some nasty effects.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
To hell with the fangled LaWS laser...

WE WANT STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT 3!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I guess a big mirror might work against it

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

I was going to respond with a pic of a B2 Spirit bomber with a big mirror under it with the caption "How's that Stealth going Now!"

But then I thought of WW4 being fought with mirrored armor, mirror shields and hand phasers and thought that was even funnier!

P

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I would suspect it has, or similar technology, been in use for a while. This is probably the reason many of North Korea's rockets never made it too far.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
Hmmm I wonder what happens if they shoot that at a ship and a couple crew men grab a parabolic mirror... For that matter wouldn't that laser be useless if the object it was firing at was polished to mirror quality?

Mirrors are not perfect, especially for IR. When you get into the hundreds of Watts of optical power, what looks like a good mirror to your eye is a slightly slower absorber. It takes amazing craftiness to make internal mirrors for high power lasers, a thing you can't pack around on a drone.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

It will always be that way. Ever since I heard about laser weapons many decades ago, the limitation has never been in the power or the tracking systems, but the fact that our atmosphere exists, and is dirty.

Once you get above a certain power level, anything other than a totally clear day with no water vapour will just cause your fantastic weapon to be a useless fireworks show in the sky.

This will never change.

that may be the case for normal lasers but how exactly can humidity or dust stop high temperature beams of energy? the only issue would be visual/optical tracking systems, but radar and infrared or other systems could easily solve that issue.

When the energy density of the beam exceeds a certain point, the atmosphere in the beam will "burn", changing to plasma. The free electrons in the plasma will then absorb the beam energy, and you get an explosion called a plasma bloom. You can use this to your advantage sometimes, you can dodge it sometimes, and it's an arsepain sometimes.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Exactly what aspect of my disdain for weapons of mass destruction strikes you as unpatriotic??? I was pretty sure that loving America and hating the death of every living human being on Earth was OK.
edit on 4/8/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

I don't know, but maybe when you took a defensive weapon able to cripple small vehicles instead of using a missle that cost 200k and put it in the same category as WMPs.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Exactly what aspect of my disdain for weapons of mass destruction strikes you as unpatriotic??? I was pretty sure that loving America and hating the death of every living human being on Earth was OK.
edit on 4/8/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

I don't know, but maybe when you took a defensive weapon able to cripple small vehicles instead of using a missle that cost 200k and put it in the same category as WMPs.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

I was going to respond with a pic of a B2 Spirit bomber with a big mirror under it with the caption "How's that Stealth going Now!"

But then I thought of WW4 being fought with mirrored armor, mirror shields and hand phasers and thought that was even funnier!

P

Me perseus, you medusa
I alway imagined world war 4 being against Gorilla's on horse back with net's ? Go figure ..
P.s I've read some of your post lately. I think you my brutha from anutha mutha .Oh hang on ...... dad ! is that you ?
edit on 9-4-2013 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

... using light emitting weapons in the place of projectile weapons.

But still fiction is fiction. Right?

Not any more.

Actually there is no "in place of" scenario just yet.
The system on that ship is a prototype, a test machine, a trial, a systems check, a principle check, a proof of concept.

This will never change.

Note also that any test demonstrations you will find always consist of slow objects, close to the weapon.
Not exactly a problem for any other weapon you can think of.

edit on 8-4-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

What you say here makes sense and so begs the question.... Why are they seemingly wasting their time feilding this laser?

-Alien

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

... using light emitting weapons in the place of projectile weapons.

But still fiction is fiction. Right?

Not any more.

Actually there is no "in place of" scenario just yet.
The system on that ship is a prototype, a test machine, a trial, a systems check, a principle check, a proof of concept.

It is undeniable that the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs were prototypes, test machines, systems checks, principle checks and proofs of concepts. These were two very different designs and each was the first fully equipped unit of its kind. So your argument is pretty moot. Test platforms may well be used in combat.

As to the video in this thread... What a waste of a perfectly good drone

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join