It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New MSNBC idea: Let’s interview a five-year-old to get her take on gay marriage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Makes perfect sense to me. Get the opinion of someone before they are corrupted by bigotry and religious intolerance.
edit on 8-4-2013 by intrepid because: Speeling.

I do happen to be very much in favor of gay marriage and equality.

This video does not make sense to me though. Well.... More specifically, the questions.... I agree with the woman saying that men should be able to marry men and women should be able to marry women....But do you not see the corruption in that video?

She asks the girl a leading question. She does not say " Do you think men should be able to marry men?" She says 'men should be able to marry men, right?"

That is not allowing the girl to think for herself... Phrasing is very important when asking questions.

With children, you could say " Men should be able to marry men, right?" and they often times will just agree with you because of the phrasing.... Then you can ask them the next day " Men should not be allowed to marry men, right?" and they will agree with that as well, due to the phrasing.

This is why investigators and social workers are trained to be very careful in their wording, when talking to children why may have been abused. They do not want to say something that may cause the child to state things differently than how they happened.

"Do you think men should be allowed to marry men?" Not corrupting the child's thought process...

"Men should be allowed to marry men, right?" Corrupting the child's thought process.

So, that is the problem I have with this video.... She is not getting the child's opinion, she is influencing it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Animals cannot consent.

For the most part.

Pretty sure my dog consents to marrying bacon

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

Won't matter what you say, all the same people are going to justify it no matter how much logic and common sense is used. Good effort tho.

edit on 8-4-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

Seeing as that is her daughter I doubt this is the first time this discussion came up.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie

Makes perfect sense to me. Get the opinion of someone before they are corrupted by bigotry and religious intolerance.

This video does not make sense to me though. Well.... More specifically, the questions.... I agree with the woman saying that men should be able to marry men and women should be able to marry women....But do you not see the corruption in that video?

She asks the girl a leading question. She does not say " Do you think men should be able to marry men?" She says 'men should be able to marry men, right?"

Actually, she starts it by saying "can a woman marry a woman?" and the kid then goes all informative about how she can in nyc, then explains how MM WW or MW in NY.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I think it's already established that you don't give kids enough credit. They know a lot more than you think.

For children, love is a volatile emotion.
Perhaps children's early understanding of love is that it is an emotion similar to
happiness in its volatility. Love comes and goes: Perhaps –in the mind of a child –
when a mother makes her son happy, the son loves her; but when the mother makes
her son angry, he ceases to do so

www2.bc.edu...

How scientific is love?

You misunderstand, i`m not saying love is scientific, i`m saying to understand how kids understand love is a scientific process.
Child Psychology
Read the link I provided above, how they came to the conclusion on how kids understand love was a scientific process.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

But don't go confusing young children into being Homosexuals
What is Pathetic, is the Anti-Gay crowd cant recognize how Stupid your Statement is.
Shall we 'pray the Gay away" Resoe ?

yo bro... have you read my first post on this here thread? "to each is thier own"
I don't give a flying eff if anyone is gay. But, interviewing a child about it... now thats just down right stupid.

Once more, I don't give a flying eff if anyone is gay.
-to me it's wierd because I don't understand it... but hey, to each is thier own.
you like playing the skin flute, that's all you buddy.

Well see they need all the help they can get right now. Look at some of the other issues they like draging children into to get the thing on the road.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Actually, she starts it by saying "can a woman marry a woman?" and the kid then goes all informative about how she can in nyc, then explains how MM WW or MW in NY.

So we are not working with a clean canvas here. Her brain has aready been twisted.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I remember that a young girl 11-13 appeared before a state hearing very recently and asked "Which parent don't I need, my mother or my father?" Reportedly, the legislators had no answer.

Off-topic? I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Without a mommy and daddy, that 11 year old wouldn't exist.
Very on topic.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
How many of you wanted to be just like your parents that raised you? How many have retained traits from your parents regardless of your respect of them. have you ever heard of children being raised by animals. They don't act very human like.

How about Cynthia Ann Parker who was kidnapped and raised by natives?

The point being is that we are influenced by our environment. You do have a choice but it is not something that comes easy or without want and it can not be forced but more than likely over time it can be passed down through your dna. perhaps we all pay the price for the sins of our forefathers.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by SaturnFX

So we are not working with a clean canvas here. Her brain has aready been twisted.

Yes...twisted...clearly. she probably also has other twisted ideas, like being nice to people, not killing animals for fun, and other crazy ideas.

not to worry..I am sure when you have kids you will program them their proper amount of hate and fear of anything different to balance her out.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

not to worry..I am sure when you have kids you will program them their proper amount of hate and fear of anything different to balance her out.
reply to post by SaturnFX

This. This is what makes me sick right here. I have a son and I would never jam the nonsense in this OP down his throat, not NOW, or when he was FIVE years old or ever. Refusing to force-feed my kid this kinda garbage has nothing to do with teaching kids "hate and fear", but has everything to do with not pushing a political and social agenda the kid has NOTHING to do with down his/her throat. Oh never-mind, 5 y/o kids know ALL about marriage right? lol.

No amount of "kids know all there is to know about love" (yeah right, most ADULTS don't know what it means to truly love someone) nonsense talk would convince me of forcing my kid into it. Our society is screwed, and it's because of people with this kind of mentality. "Hate and fear" my ass. Get over yourself and let the kids be kids.

Funny how people (mostly "liberals") gripe and complain about parents who teach "religion" to kids to push the "Christian" agenda.. Yet, if we force gay marriage on a child who doesn't even care to know about it yet at 5 yrs old we are saints in the eyes of accepted "society". This is a loony tunes place we live in with nothing but double standards and hypocrisy everywhere. Pfft. Sickening.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

This. This is what makes me sick right here. I have a son and I would never jam the nonsense in this OP down his throat, not NOW, or when he was FIVE years old or ever. Refusing to force-feed my kid this kinda garbage has nothing to do with teaching kids "hate and fear", but has everything to do with not pushing a political and social agenda the kid has NOTHING to do with down his/her throat. Oh never-mind, 5 y/o kids know ALL about marriage right? lol.

No amount of "kids know all there is to know about love" (yeah right, most ADULTS don't know what it means to truly love someone) nonsense talk would convince me of forcing my kid into it. Our society is screwed, and it's because of people with this kind of mentality. "Hate and fear" my ass. Get over yourself and let the kids be kids.

Funny how people (mostly "liberals") gripe and complain about parents who teach "religion" to kids to push the "Christian" agenda.. Yet, if we force gay marriage on a child who doesn't even care to know about it yet at 5 yrs old we are saints in the eyes of accepted "society". This is a loony tunes place we live in with nothing but double standards and hypocrisy everywhere. Pfft. Sickening.

I am sure
Also I am sure you wouldn't even think about teaching your kids the value of freedom, democracy, or anything else...they are blank drones and should never, ever have your opinion on anything to form them.

face it..the parents job is to form them, its one of the main draws of being a parent, to form the worldview of a human and have a bit of your legacy live on.

If you choose to not explain how other people are also humans with feelings, that's your issue...for me and my own family, it is the responsibility of the elders to impart wisdom onto the youth so that tomorrow, someone will give a rats butt about my elderly arse verses be vacant.

Teach your kids religion if you want. personally, I want any kid related to me to have good jobs, therefore I nudge them towards figuring things out verses go for easy answers. (since you decided to bring up religion).

Lets address this bit of your rant

Funny how people (mostly "liberals") gripe and complain about parents who teach "religion" to kids to push the "Christian" agenda.. Yet, if we force gay marriage on a child who doesn't even care to know about it yet at 5 yrs old we are saints in the eyes of accepted "society".

Teaching a child to ignore the scientific process in leu of just easy answers of a magic man popping everything into existence only hobbles society during the age of scientific achievement. our work on cloning therapys, intersolar ventures, and the like suddenly having to deal with space ghost people demanding we stop because their invisible friend is angry
verses
teaching your child to simply accept other peoples decisions that do not effect them.

your argument is invalid, the two are completely unrelated
and
if you believe it is perfectly acceptable to not teach your child basic morality and principles, then you are a unfit parent in my eyes. Anyone can breed, not everyone can be a parent.

now, huff and puff all you want, but in the back of your mind, I suspect you know this is closer to the truth than any neocon spinster wants you to believe.

The only thing I seen from your first paragraph though is a missed opportunity to teach your child mutual respect. Dads are meant to impart wisdom and teachings to their child...well,maybe he picked it up in school or the playground then if his parents weren't bothering to help him develop.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

First. Let's check this first quote shall we. Don't even get me started on this "freedom and democracy" you and your left wing pals seem to pretend you support. When in reality you are just supporting the main stream liberal agenda like verbal diarrhea that never seems to stop all while wanting the govt to intervene in every move and action (including the opinion of others) that people make in this country. (yes i edited to add, what a hell of a thing to say LOL)

I am sure you wouldn't even think about teaching your kids the value of freedom, democracy, or anything else...

You have no foundation to stand on when going there with me as I would guess you and your liberal pals have no idea what it means to really be free without your hypocrisy and never ending high-horse judgments being forced upon others. You seem to think the govt can solve social issues like gay marriage, or better yet govt fixing disagreements on the whole topic. lol, you along with most liberals have lost your way on this if you think that is the case.

I voted for Ron Paul, who was NOT against gay marriage as it does not harm others or hinder the rights of others in any capacity, however the issue should be up to the states and local govt to decide since not all regions in the U.S. will think like you do.. What I taught my son is that we ought to all abide by the Constitution, which is something the left AND right have a hard time grasping. My views on the rights for gays is they should have the same rights as anyone else, no more, no less. What i decide and think is moral for my PERSONAL life, is my business, and my business alone. Don't even try to preach to me what you think "freedom and democracy" is.

If you choose to not explain how other people are also humans with feelings, that's your issue...

This is actually quite a pathetic way to start an "argument" based on a thread where an adult (parent) presents gay marriage to a 5 year old child for political and social gain. In essence, you're trying to really tell me that because I never chose to throw the issue of gay marriage in my sons face when he was 5 years old, that he will never know that humans have feelings?? (and later accuse me of being an "unfit" parent) How sad of you sir. That's just pathetic.

Teaching a child to ignore the scientific process in leu of just easy answers of a magic man popping everything into existence only hobbles society during the age of scientific achievement. our work on cloning therapys, intersolar ventures, and the like suddenly having to deal with space ghost people demanding we stop because their invisible friend is angry verses teaching your child to simply accept other peoples decisions that do not effect them.

So. without me even giving my *personal* stance on religion in this thread since it is un-related to the topic at hand, you choose to give your view of the subject as it somehow relates to gay marriage? You are missing the point altogether. You obviously hate religion as I can tell you were just foaming at the mouth to give a response such as the one you have given.. all while trying to point out that all parents preaching "magic men" to their children are worthless people for doing so... you failed to actually address the point of this thread, which is pro-gay marriage stances being forced on children because of their parent's political agenda and social dogma. In other words, you're totally ok with forcing the pro gay marriage stance on your children all while judging me in assuming i forced religion on mine. Tisk Tisk, sir.

if you believe it is perfectly acceptable to not teach your child basic morality and principles, then you are a unfit parent in my eyes. Anyone can breed, not everyone can be a parent.

Let me re-phrase for you as to reflect your whole argument in the first place:

"If you believe it's perfectly acceptable not to teach your child that gay marriage is good and proper by the age of 5, then you are an immoral person not deserving of acceptance from our society and an unfit parent. You must conform to my beliefs (societies), or else you and your child are hateful and fearful people."

That about sums it up.

Uh huh, keep selling your judgmental little agenda pal, but your double standards and hypocrisy aren't fooling me.

edit on 9-4-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It makes sense to me to interview a young child to see their viewpoint, because it shows us what the future generation thinks. But then again, this is the daughter of an MSNBC news anchor. What would the daughter or son of a Fox news anchor say?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

It is quite obvious that that child had already been subjected to a form of "corruption," by her mother (the interviewer). Don't get me wrong, i am not stating any personal opinion (in regards to marriage) here. I am just stating that that child had already undergone some form of manipulation from that mother in regards to marriage.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Originally posted by Logarock

There is no such thing as a 4-year-old with a "clean canvas". They're all "twisted" by their experiences and information gleaned from other people. It's called education. This child's brain has been encouraged to love, accept and respect people who are different from her. I prefer that over her being indoctrinated by religious dogma to judge, hate and fear those different from her, which is what FAR too many people teach their children.
Fortunately, they seem to be rejecting that and thinking more for themselves.

Yes, I'm sure this little girl is influenced by the open minds around her. This is a Good Thing.

But people under 30 overwhelmingly support legalization of gay marriage. This isn't something people are teaching their babies. It's something young people are realizing as they start thinking for themselves - instead of blindly buying the religious and judgmental dogma their parents followed. People of this country are growing into a more tolerant and open-minded society. Thankfully.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I understand that this little girl may be different, because of who her parents are, but come on, how many "average" 5 year olds even know what gay means?

exactly. Most 5 year olds are too busy being children to even think of that sort of thing.

-I have a feeling though, by the time I hit 30 years old, there will be a hell of a lot more homosexuals than there are today.
-

Let me guess.. that should be in about 15 years time right?

Also regarding your first response take ten 5 year old boys OR girls and show them a picture of a man and a woman kissing and guess what...EEEEWWW! Thats the response you will get to it whether male/female, male/male, female/female!!!
edit on 9/4/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
You can't "confuse" someone into being a homosexual; either you feel attraction towards the same sex, or your don't. The same goes for heterosexuals and bisexuals. You have NO say in what you are attracted to.

I don't think you can confuse someone into being gay either.

However that doesn't mean you have no say to what you are attracted to.

All I loved was slim women once upon a time.
I always thought that a slim wait is the most sexy thing on a woman in the world.
Then I used to hang out with this guy who was into thick women, we used to argue about what's sexy and what's not all the time.
Then one day he showed me the "light", and my taste in women changed.

Don't be an absolutist!
Only Sith lords speak in absolutes

You are so right, I used to think that slim gay men were the sexiest thing on the planet but something happened and I realised that I was wrong and that fat gay men are the sexiest thing on the planet!

There is a vast difference between liking slim versus fat and liking male versus female!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join