It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft on Always Online Consoles: 'Deal With It'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the existence of its next-gen Xbox, but that hasn’t stopped endless debates over rumors that the console might block used games, or that it would require a constant internet connection. While this mostly involves internet comments and anonymous sources, the most recent combatant is a little closer to issue — he’s a creative director at Microsoft Studios named Adam Orth.

www.forbes.com...

Adam Orth Microsoft's creative director jumped on twitter to defend rumors that the next xbox console will always require you to be online to play... Guess this moron doesn't realize not everyone has access to reliable internet or the means...

This fool needs to get the ax.

le douche.

People like him ruin the hobby.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Always on DRM is unneeded and not wanted.

Microsoft is now apologizing this d-bag.

Microsoft’s comment:

“We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.”

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

edit on 5-4-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

about six minutes into this and I totally agree with this guy

Orth talking down to everyone thinking he's all high and mighty needs a swift kick.

and his whole #dealwithit needs #firethisdouchenozzle

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
My goodness, what an elitist!
Of course, the electricity going out, and the internet connection doing so, are incomparable.
The broadband reception becomes poor, or goes out, here when it rains very hard!
I do not like being dependent upon the internet to use my computer. So it feels a lot better to have a game installed on my computer than my games from Steam, which I think I need web to play.
Though I usually listen to internet radio, I use and build my music collection.
And I have a lot of e books and pdfs to read offline.
And programs...
I like to know that when internet access is unavailable, my computer does not become a useless piece of plastic junk.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I've noticed this sometimes with executives. They tend to get a big head and think every idea they have is a good one. So, when they do have a bad idea and it is pointed out to them - they tend not to take it well at all.

This guy is an example of that..

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just purchase a PS4...i would like to see his face when the next Xbox sales flop.

Just deal with it.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think people are taking this extremely out of context. All it means, is if the console is directly connected or has wifi access, it will maintain a lower power state internet connection standby mode, allowing real-time game/software updates to be downloaded and installed on the fly, without user interaction.

Ideally, so when you go to play your game or system, everything is updated, no waiting for patches to update and install to play. It just works.

It doesn't mean, people without an internet connection will not be able to play games, do things, use the console. No.

It just means, when it's connected and you shut it off, it goes into a lower power, online state.

Simple as that.

edit on 5-4-2013 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

Did you even read the rumors that came before his reply on the matter?

The rumor was that the console will require an internet connection at all times, if the console loses access to the internet for more than 3 minutes it'll stop whatever game, app, or service you are using and it'll direct you to an internet troubleshooting page.

In other words you will not be able to access your content at all if your console loses connection with the internet, for whatever reason.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
I think people are taking this extremely out of context. All it means, is if the console is directly connected or has wifi access, it will maintain a lower power state internet connection standby mode, allowing real-time game/software updates to be downloaded and installed on the fly, without user interaction.

Ideally, so when you go to play your game or system, everything is updated, no waiting for patches to update and install to play. It just works.

It doesn't mean, people without an internet connection will not be able to play games, do things, use the console. No.

It just means, when it's connected and you shut it off, it goes into a lower power, online state.

Simple as that.

Thank you and that's exactly what this is!

These nextgen consoles is going to be more focus on the social media crap and instant game downloads while you're playing them. As an example, I shop on psn more for games than running down to the local game store unless i need accessories

We will have to wait for the official announcement from Sony and Microsoft to know what we're facing up against until then its just rumors.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That's where his customer base is? Who cares where he lives. What about his customers? What an idiot.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter

Simple as that.

No its more a DRM issue. Requiring you to be connected to the internet to even play a game in single player...

Thats just fiendish.

Your post is ill-informed.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of the Xbox anymore. Sony won me over with the PS3. They always had free online multiplayer and the graphics and most PS3 proprietary games, in my opinion, are better than the 360.

Lately I've been gravitating back to PC gaming. I can make my machine however I like. Plus a PC game can look better than a console depending on your setup. I compared Far Cry 3 on PS3 and PC and there was a noticeable visual difference. PC being the winner.

You don't need an internet connection.

I also have an Wireless Microsoft PC controller that works great on every game I've tried it on so if you had trouble adjusting to the keyboard and mouse it's not a problem anymore.

The PS4 is going to run X86 architecture so it looks like the future of gaming is going back to the PC anyways.

Forget the new Xbox. Save and build up your PC or wait for the PS4.
edit on 5-4-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Forget the new Xbox. Save and build up your PC

This! Amen brother, and I do applaud Sony for having free multi-player as it should be, you pay out the nose for console games. Xbox live with their membership level is bunk.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

The entire concept is ridiculous.
Talk about thinking "inside a box".

I enjoy the gaming aspect without being online.
It's how I started playing decades ago...
Definitely not buying this new console.

They probably want to reign in more control over the games.
The less people beg, borrow, and steal them, the more profits are made.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

True but you're going to need those updates and patches.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by havok

True but you're going to need those updates and patches.

That shouldn't require one to be always online, connect get patches viola! Being patches and updates are same exact thing.

Again Orthy was talking about always online DRM. You must be online to even access the game.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Second on that. I no longer have an Xbox, I'm loving my PS3.

You must be older, when I was younger playing consoles my moms 20-30 year old friends were into PC gaming, now that I'm at that age, you notice a lot of people in your age group doing the same, while an entire batch of young kids adopt console gaming like we once did.

As for the future of gaming going back to PC, it never really was with PC, so that isn't going to happen. It's a cycle. PS4 will come out and for about 4 years after its release it'll be pretty similar to top PC hardware.

Console games are optimized for specific hardware, with x86 architecture we're actually going to see console hardware being pushed to its limits from the start, rather than developers having to adjust to proprietary hardware and pushing a console to its max at the end of its 6-7 year life cycle like we've seen with the PS3. Being that consoles are more developer friendly, and now having been adjusted to have enough power to future proof them, we're going to see better performance, better graphics, and have a better gaming experience on consoles due to less time and resources being put into having different development teams for each specific console.

I see this generation of gaming as a fresh start. A lot of change and lessons learned, especially by Sony, it'll be fun to watch. I hope Sony brings back what they had with the PS2 and make the PS4 the best selling and possibly most successful console to date, things look good so far.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Stick to PC gaming, consoles are a CON.

Every serious gamer I've ever met uses a PC.

Just to add more to this story..
There were rumours about the consoles from ms being so powerful that using the TWO forward pointing cameras they (ms) can use software that can lip read, recognize faces, and count how many people are in the room, and record your conversations.
And now we learn they want the darn thing ALWAYS ON! No prizes for guessing why

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Permanent connection is inevitable but it's still too early...this is a huge mistake.

They are limiting their market unnecessarily.

What else are you supposed to do when you don't have the budget to afford the monthly internet or cable bill?

You find something that will keep people entertained during couch time for cheap.

The XBox & Playstation consoles used to fill that role nicely - I'd even say that it's the market that built these systems.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join