It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you SERIOUS? What is WRONG with society?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

It probably wouldn't have been open to racism at all if the OP hadn't thrown in the "n word" for absolutely no reason at all. It didn't pertain to the story, but was thrown in there and opened the entire thread up for racism conversations. It's the OP's fault. If not for that mention, it probably wouldn't have come into the conversation at all since it has absolutely nothing to do with the story being told or the rant.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think I'm more shocked that the OP would have taken it for kids playing. I mean...umm..this happens in every city, every day. Videos right here show people being beaten for nothing, mugged for mere dollars or shoved onto subway tracks just because someone else was having a bad day.

I agree. It's pretty shameful that he/she didn't take any action to stop it, let alone get online and tell people about his/her actions! Why on earth would "playing" involve beating someone??

The OP is guilty of the very thing he/she is trying to complain about.

As right as you are, there is no point getting onto the OP's back about it. His life events and his default statistics (genetic make-up) has lead him to choose not to help in that moment of time but to raise the issue to someone else. In a sense, it is not his fault purely. It would be more beneficial to the whole discussion to attempt to answer his question of why this is the case with so many humans, and why humans choose these routes of action in the first place.

Through that outlet we could instead help the OP understand his own actions better. Flaming someone for their choices often just illicits a defensive and close-minded response that leaves no room for retrospective analysis. Despite the fact that I believe like you he should of probably confronted the situation himself at least the OP brought the situation to the attention of someone else who he subconsciously decided was better suited for the job - most people would of simply done nothing at all, which is the point I believe he is making.
edit on 4-4-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DazDaKing

As right as you are, there is no point getting onto the OP's back about it. His life events and his default statistics (genetic make-up) has lead him to choose not to help in that moment of time but to raise the issue to someone else. In a sense, it is not his fault purely. It would be more beneficial to the whole discussion to attempt to answer his question of why this is the case with so many humans, and why humans choose these routes of action in the first place.

It's not the first time that poster has done things like this. It's like the internet version of the Jerry Springer Show, just seeking attention any way she can get it. The pattern is easy to see very quickly.

In my own opinion, none of the things that are posted actually happen, she just makes them up as a way to swat at a hornet's nest and get others riled up to feed her need for attention.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

Originally posted by DazDaKing

It's not the first time that poster has done things like this. It's like the internet version of the Jerry Springer Show, just seeking attention any way she can get it. The pattern is easy to see very quickly.

In my own opinion, none of the things that are posted actually happen, she just makes them up as a way to swat at a hornet's nest and get others riled up to feed her need for attention.

Lol @ internet Jerry Springer.

I am not aware of these other posts so I guess I can't comment further until reading them. However, I will say that if this person is in fact a female (sorry to keep referring to you as he/his!) it is more understandable why she raised the issue to someone else rather than tackling it head on. Most females I know would not interrupt a group of 4 males beating up another - as females have arguably an even stronger biological trait to avoid physical confrontation than males (especially regarding those involving other males, who are generally bigger/stronger and hence a logical threat in themselves).

By the way that above statement is not meant in any way to suggest females are inferior (you can never be too careful with what you say these days lol) but it is simply what I have witnessed myself and what makes sense from an evolutionary/instinct point of view. I've been in some #ed up pub/bar fights where I've seen numerous girls literally freeze and cry out of fear in the midst of it all despite punches, chairs and bottles flying about the place. People's actions are never 1-dimensional though, but some layers can be explained justifiably.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
More details will be added to try to justify what was done and attacks will be made for people concentrating on race even though it was originally injected by the OP.

edit on 4-4-2013 by kthxbai because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by svier

You didn't do anything to stop the beat down yet you come on here and complain that no one did anything? Guess what? You ARE the person you directed your objection to! You said there was a road right there with people driving by but no one stopped. YOU were RIGHT THERE?!?!?!? Maybe one of the drivers saw you and though "Good, someone's already there to stop it."

Excuse me?

I was not "right there," I was in the front of the store. I happened to see the ordeal from the main road when we approached subway, and I had my little brother with me. I had to take him inside because he had to use the bathroom.

He has severe ausburgers. Kinda didn't want to expose him to any sh!t hitting the fan.

Sure, you passed the responsibility of doing something to the next person but that's all.

And that's not doing something about it? Wow. You're brilliant.

I got attacked by a mob of drunken lunatics once not too long ago. I held my own as long as I could but it went on for 10-15 minutes. I was on my last reserve when FINALLY a guy stepped in and managed to stop these guys. Guess what? He was the smallest guy there but had the biggest set of courage balls I've ever seen. I thanked this guy like crazy. He literally saved me from a worse fate. I had some choice words for the people who did nothing. I still carry a nice scar across my elbow as a reminder of that night.

I'm sorry you went through some crap, and this might shock you--but you're NOT the only one. At least someone bothered to stop them when they jumped you, that's more than they did for me.

And I'm sorry if I don't have the "balls" your buddy had, but I'm a girl. I don't desire any balls.

Similarly, I had to do CPR on a girl a few years back. She collapsed during her sister's pre wedding party at my job. NO ONE DID ANYTHING so I did. I called 911 and did CPR on her for 5 minutes while 30 people watched and panicked. She died.

Good for you.

Don't get me wrong, I've broken up my share of physical confrontations, between friend's parents, cousins, and one of my friends even tried to kill another friend in front of me. Don't ever assume that I don't step in. You know nothing about me except what was presented in this thread.

I'm sorry if I didn't react exactly how you would approve of, but I'm not looking for your approval.

And to everyone else;

SHUT UP about the white vs black crap. That had nothing to do with my point.

My point is that society is made of ignorant retards who think jumping someone will get them a name in high school. That was the point. Alright?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
And to everyone else;

SHUT UP about the white vs black crap. That had nothing to do with my point.

My point is that society is made of ignorant retards who think jumping someone will get them a name in high school. That was the point. Alright?

Did you read my post at all? Yeah, I talked about racism temporarily but everything I said links into the higher theme of the post regarding society. Why would you of even mentioned the point that they called him a N****r if you didn't want any discussion in regards to racism at all - it seemed like you were using it to lower the moral actions of those kids further. In fact, you've just defiled your own thread by claiming "society is made of ignorant retards who think jumping someone will get them a name". What is the point of being willing to raise questions about society when you then turn around and attempt to sum it up in one ridiculous statement full of assumptions that may not be correct at all. I was hoping you genuinely wanted an intellectual discussion on this matter, but it seems you have your own 'ignorant' (ironically) opinions already set in mind.

Perhaps kthnxbai was right.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
To everyone;

I agree. It's pretty shameful that he/she didn't take any action to stop it, let alone get online and tell people about his/her actions! Why on earth would "playing" involve beating someone??

Were you there?

Oh... no. You weren't.

You have no idea what I felt needed to be done, and what was going on.

The OP is guilty of the very thing he/she is trying to complain about.

Nope.

If the poster is wondering "what's wrong with people", he/she needs only to look in the mirror!!

I'm utterly disgusted

Seriously. After some bratty kids go and jump someone, there must be something wrong with the witness. Its the witnesses' fault. Or, perhaps its just that you're a troll on every one of my threads, whining about how I may not have handled the situation as well as the Messiah himself.

Get some perspective and stop trolling.

It probably wouldn't have been open to racism at all if the OP hadn't thrown in the "n word" for absolutely no reason at all. It didn't pertain to the story, but was thrown in there and opened the entire thread up for racism conversations. It's the OP's fault. If not for that mention, it probably wouldn't have come into the conversation at all since it has absolutely nothing to do with the story being told or the rant.

Completely wrong.

The kids who jumped this guy used the N word, I thought that might have had something to do with the story... considering it was PART of the story. Its not my fault everyone blew it out of context.

Through that outlet we could instead help the OP understand his own actions better. Flaming someone for their choices often just illicits a defensive and close-minded response that leaves no room for retrospective analysis. Despite the fact that I believe like you he should of probably confronted the situation himself at least the OP brought the situation to the attention of someone else who he subconsciously decided was better suited for the job - most people would of simply done nothing at all, which is the point I believe he is making.

You're right about the flaming thing, and again, I'm a female.

I had my little brother with me, made it a bit hard to do much about anything. I apologize, I probrably should have stated that in the original post, but I was heated when I made it.

It's not the first time that poster has done things like this. It's like the internet version of the Jerry Springer Show, just seeking attention any way she can get it.

The pattern is easy to see very quickly. In my own opinion, none of the things that are posted actually happen, she just makes them up as a way to swat at a hornet's nest and get others riled up to feed her need for attention.

Yeah? You're a liar.

Is that how you get your ego? Attempting to break down my stories and gossip about how you wrongly accuse me of lying? YOU are lying. YOU are spreading lies. Not the other way around.

When I see or think something that I believe is worth sharing, I share it. And its a RANT forum.

You really have no right to whine about me ranting in a rant forum.

Oh... but then again... I guess you're only supposed to post things on ATS that others WANT to see, and that people like you approve of. Silly me.

More details will be added to try to justify what was done and attacks will be made for people concentrating on race even though it was originally injected by the OP.

And it was blown out of context by everyone here. Oh... but silly me. That's all my fault too.

Did you read my post at all? Yeah, I talked about racism temporarily but everything I said links into the higher theme of the post regarding society. In fact, you've just defiled your own thread by claiming "society is made of ignorant retards who think jumping someone will get them a name". I was hoping you genuinely wanted an intellectual discussion on this matter, but it seems you have your own 'ignorant' (ironically) opinions already set in mind.

You're gonna tell me that society doesn't contain retards who attack others to get a name for themselves?

Look at some of the comments and tell me where you see potential for an intelligent conversation. You can call me ignorant all you want... don't care. I've been called worse things by better people, not that they were right.

edit on 4-4-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Did you read my post at all? Yeah, I talked about racism temporarily but everything I said links into the higher theme of the post regarding society. In fact, you've just defiled your own thread by claiming "society is made of ignorant retards who think jumping someone will get them a name". I was hoping you genuinely wanted an intellectual discussion on this matter, but it seems you have your own 'ignorant' (ironically) opinions already set in mind.

You're gonna tell me that society doesn't contain retards who attack others to get a name for themselves?

Look at some of the comments and tell me where you see potential for an intelligent conversation. You can call me ignorant all you want... don't care. I've been called worse things by better people, not that they were right.

edit on 4-4-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Of course society contains people like that, as well as a whole myriad of others. I am not calling you ignorant as a person, but I am saying you are being slightly ignorant this time. It is never wise to just brand people into boxes, that is a sign of lack of understanding. I just think it is easy to jump the gun and call these kids 'ignorant retards' because they beat someone up but like I say no action is ever as 1-dimensional as it seems. There are deeper roots to their actions which is what I partially tried to explain in my original reply to this thread (which I'm still not sure you've read lol!) and that is the encompassing problem with society.

Also, "by better people"...really? Who are you to judge who is 'BETTER' than me (such a powerful word mind you, I would love to know in what sense they are superior to me). I have not once said you are better or worse than anyone in this world yet it is you, who is playing the moral ground very strongly with this thread, who decides to do so! That is exactly what I meant when I said I think you are being slightly ignorant here.

I don't care about the other comments; I replied originally to YOU specifically. It is your choice to have a discussion with me or not, but that should be based purely on MY comments and not those of others - surely?
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DazDaKing

Of course society contains people like that, as well as a whole myriad of others. I am not calling you ignorant as a person, but I am saying you are being slightly ignorant this time. It is never wise to just brand people into boxes, that is a sign of lack of understanding. I just think it is easy to jump the gun and call these kids 'ignorant retards' because they beat someone up but like I say no action is ever as 1-dimensional as it seems. There are deeper roots to their actions which is what I partially tried to explain in my original reply to this thread (which I'm still not sure you've read lol!) and that is the encompassing problem with society.

I'm not gonna argue with any of that, because you're right. I'm a bit heated right now, regarding some things that actually have nothing to do with ATS, so I apologize if I seem a bit angry.

I don't care about the other comments; I replied originally to YOU specifically. It is your choice to have a discussion with me or not, but that should be based purely on MY comments and not those of others - surely?

Got caught up trying to reply to everyone at once, because my computer decided not to work much yesterday, so I'm a bit behind on replying here. Sorry if I lumped you together with everyone else.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I'm not gonna argue with any of that, because you're right. I'm a bit heated right now, regarding some things that actually have nothing to do with ATS, so I apologize if I seem a bit angry.

Got caught up trying to reply to everyone at once, because my computer decided not to work much yesterday, so I'm a bit behind on replying here. Sorry if I lumped you together with everyone else.

Fair play, don't worry about it! There is no need to apologize - opinions are never expressed perfectly when emotions are running wild.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Fair play, don't worry about it! There is no need to apologize - opinions are never expressed perfectly when emotions are running wild.

Right on.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

You mean they acted just like you and walked away ignoring it? Call the cops when you see stuff like that in the future . Thats what cops are for.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Jumping someone is so low, it's a scumbag tactic.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I think your main complaint is that more people didn't do anything. You DID do something, and stopped the attack from going further. Don't feel bad that you didn't do more. This kid can report the attack. If needed, the people with you that saw them can help verify ID. No matter what color each group was, such attacks are wrong, and they do indeed happen both ways. According to stats, more the other way, but that doesn't make this one right. Racists of any color are flat out sick. beating someone up for ANY reason, except self defense, is sick. Race, clothing, beliefs, wanting what they have, whatever. Too many people these days think they can do anything they want.

As for those driving past, it is possible that they didn't see what was happening. When driving, I look at what is near the road, and who might come into the lane. Plus, someone might have seen, and called the police. Were you there long enough to know if they showed up? Even if they drove by, if the attack had already stopped, they might not have.
edit on 5-4-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by svier
... I had to do CPR on a girl a few years back. She collapsed during her sister's pre wedding party at my job. NO ONE DID ANYTHING so I did. I called 911 and did CPR on her for 5 minutes while 30 people watched and panicked. She died. At her funeral this "stranger"s mother whom I had never met came up to me and said this:
"Thank you for what you tried to do for my little girl. You were the only person who tried to help her."

She had an eating disorder that finally killed her. ..

I don't know if you guys have seen WWYD? on ABC... it's a good series, but it upsets me to watch it sometimes. In this episode clip they had a scenario where their actor collapsed on the street to determine if people would try and help.

www.youtube.com...

My understanding (and it's been years since I looked into it) was that people with eating disorders who don't stop the behavior don't typically live past 20 yrs from the start of the disorder. Since most starve or starve and binge combined with exercise the body doesn't get enough nutrients, especially protein, to repair itself. When the body needs to repair muscles it needs protein and if it can't get it from the diet the body canabalizes itself. If I remember correctly most drop from a heart attack... my guess is the heart was no longer able to be repaired by the body stripping the other muscles and the strain became too much, but I don't know. I knew 3 girls back in high school that were either anorexic or both anorexic and bulimic. When I read stories like yours it makes me wonder if they are still alive and finally got help or if they didn't make it...

At any rate, it was awesome of you to try and save her. It's a shame most people don't know how or don't want to risk being nailed by lawsuits for attempting to help people or do CPR.

Originally posted by darkbake
It is a common psychological effect, regardless of the hate crime or not, people tend to not know what to do when they see something like that happening, or in most cases, assume someone else will take care of it.

Going back to the show that ABC did, they discovered and mention it some of the shows that once one person steps up, others who were simply watching will then decide to step forward to help as well. It seems to be you need just one person with a set or a backbone to step up for someone and then others will flock as backup to that person.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Unfortunately racism is not dead in North America. I'm witness to it every day. The trouble is it is now prolific through all races. The bigotry we're seeing more of today is a perpetuation of the old hate crimes of the past except now you have White on Black, White on Hispanic, White on Chinese and in cases where the minorities are the majority the reverse is true. The White man had better get used to it; the Anglo Saxon, North European caucasian has subjugated nearly every race and culture on Earth over the last thousand years. It is up to the more enlightened amongst all races to re-assert the notion and belief in mutual acceptance and tolerance.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
To everyone;

You mean they acted just like you and walked away ignoring it? Call the cops when you see stuff like that in the future . Thats what cops are for.

That's not what I did at all. You barely read anything on this thread if those are truly your thoughts.

Jumping someone is so low, it's a scumbag tactic.

Yeah...

As for those driving past, it is possible that they didn't see what was happening. When driving, I look at what is near the road, and who might come into the lane. Plus, someone might have seen, and called the police. Were you there long enough to know if they showed up? Even if they drove by, if the attack had already stopped, they might not have.

Yeah, that's fairly possible. It was night time, so yeah...

I don't know if you guys have seen WWYD? on ABC... it's a good series, but it upsets me to watch it sometimes. In this episode clip they had a scenario where their actor collapsed on the street to determine if people would try and help.

I ADORE that show.

Unfortunately racism is not dead in North America. I'm witness to it every day. The trouble is it is now prolific through all races. The bigotry we're seeing more of today is a perpetuation of the old hate crimes of the past except now you have White on Black, White on Hispanic, White on Chinese and in cases where the minorities are the majority the reverse is true. The White man had better get used to it; the Anglo Saxon, North European caucasian has subjugated nearly every race and culture on Earth over the last thousand years. It is up to the more enlightened amongst all races to re-assert the notion and belief in mutual acceptance and tolerance.

All people are hated by some group or another, for no reason greater than their skin color or their ethnic background. Its sad and pathetic that so many contributing members of society and establishers of humanity are these petty, hateful, ignorant people.

edit on 5-4-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: of a stupid effing typo

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Lmao, because I pointed out something, that makes me a right wing hick nut?
What a childish, immature *ss

Why would you point something out that doesn't need pointing out? The OP didn't say racism goes one way, so why would you come in and say that racism doesn't go only one way, while adding its only "mostly reported when its white people"

That's why people think your kind are racist. Because you go around making unnecessary statements that are just baffling. Like who does that?

What's going on in your head if your response to reading a disgusting act of racism is to see it, realise the racism was white on black, then think to yourself "I better drive home to everybody that racism against white people exists"

Do you not think your comments are suspect, or at the very least stupid and unnecessary, reading the thread back?

I know that sexism against men exists and that in a lot of ways it receives less social scrutiny, but if a thread on a sexist attack against a woman was posted, it wouldn't occur to me to out of the blue announce that sexism happens against men too.

Yours is a suspicious response.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Are you SERIOUS? What is WRONG with society?

Nothing. Society is diverse. You run into crap sometimes and then you run into good sometimes.

Except people get all emo and think society is crap and then self hatred and loathing comes in. that does not help at all it just makes it worse.

I grew up in that kind of environment. People like that are hard to understand as it makes no sense why they do the things they do. Some how it makes sense to them so you either accept it and live with it or move away from it and gravitate to people who are more like you.

There are different kinds of people in this world. You need to accept that.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join