It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to do good after you die? Donate people donate.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
More than 10 thousand people here in the UK are waiting for an organ transplant they include kids who without an donated organ will die.

Like the advert says we will all accept an organ If we need it but not enough people donate one.

This isn't just a problem in the UK look at this boy.

Bryce died...

It can take 10 mins to register so here are the websites to do so.

www.organdonation.nhs.uk... UK

www.organdonor.gov... USA

www.organ-donation-works.org... Canadians

If you are from another country a quick search will help you find out how to donate.

Here are people telling their stories on how it can change their lives.

So please please please take 10 minutes from ATS and register you may save someones life.
I have they are getting every bit of me..

edit on 2-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have decided to donate my whole body for medical research when I die. I really don't want to be stuck in a box and painted with formaldehyde then set on fire. Might as well see if they can get any use from death, rather than go through the grim mortician business. If I have any useful organs left, people are welcome.
edit on 2-4-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You and me both buddy
good for you

www.donorssavelives.org...

More info for all.

Come on I want at least one of you to sign up and help others,

Help little girls like Hanna, she is a success story but without donation...

Come on is anyone brave enough to sign up?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I know its controversial, but I think it should be an opt out process, rather than opt in. I'm sure the policy wouldn't go down well, but, it would save and improve the lives of millions.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Agree with you there we wouldn't have a problem then.
I do not see why it would be so hard for people to opt out, it would take 10 mins.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ever since the DMV Organ Donor Program was started...I've had it listed on my Drivers License that I am one.

Also have made it known to those who would be in charge after I'm gone...to not spend one cent and follow my directions for body to go to medical research. I did have other plans in mind, but after reading of the serious lack of cadavers for research and teaching medical students...I changed my mind

Worthy thread you've started Boymonkey....

Des

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
No..I will not donate..There is a long story about my (Im sure---controversial decision)..but no..I will never donate blood or organs.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I know its controversial, but I think it should be an opt out process, rather than opt in. I'm sure the policy wouldn't go down well, but, it would save and improve the lives of millions.

I agree. Implementing this would be easy compared to most stupid, pointless tasks our # government try. I.e through putting the Opt Out option on either Census, Passports, Driver Licenses etc. It makes me wonder as to why they haven't already done this.

Nice thread Monkey

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Then I hope no one you love dies waiting for an organ transplant....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Also donate Blood people...96% of people rely on 4% of people giving blood...
If you work for a big company organize a giving blood bus to come round, here in the UK companies are not allowed to refuse allowing workers a little time off to give blood.

www.blood.co.uk...

So come on we all talk the talk about being good human beings so prove it eh?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

There are two main methods for determining voluntary consent: "opt in" (only those who have given explicit consent are donors) and "opt out" (anyone who has not refused is a donor). Opt-out legislative systems dramatically increase effective rates of consent for donation.[1] For example, Germany, which uses an opt-in system, has an organ donation consent rate of 12% among its population, while Austria, a country with a very similar culture and economic development, but which uses an opt-out system, has a consent rate of 99.98%.[1][2]

en.wikipedia.org...

That's a pretty revealing fact. Opt in Germany has a donation rate of 12%, Austria with an opt out policy has a 99% donation rate.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I've mine on my licence to, i think its also important to tell family and friends your wishes to just in case

S/F for you old grey man

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Thank you for not spouting harsh words. I hope no one that I know dies either..however..it really doesn't have to do with anyone else..just me..and no I never expect to be up for organ donation either..I'm not going to take if Im not giving..I understand that. Im sure a lot of loved ones are organ donors just not me.

I have a horror story about a neighbor and his son's motorcycle accident. (he died and was an organ donor) regardless of the myth he WAS charged. It took him years to recover and get the billing figured out with the hospital. My parents were involved in the process to help them through it..not to mention he died just down the street. This was back in the early 90's..it was horrible seeing them go through the legal battle..so from that day on I decided it wasn't worth it. I don't give blood because of the grossly over priced bills that go along with that (for the family that receives it..not me.) People DONATE blood..it shouldn't cost so much to get it..so I am in a way protesting the cost by withholding my blood..I would certaintly give it for FREE if the person getting it was charged nothing

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Amazing! I decided this weekend that I am going to donate my shell to science/organ transplant when I die. I leaves no burden of debt to the family either.

But I would like for them and my friends to have a celebration of life party.
With lottsa booze!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Maybe some of you would be interested in
a good read about what can happen to donated bodies..some of it is quite gruesome..and I know you are dead and all..but seriously..it's gross.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I see your point. But most people and those that love them just want to live...bills be damned at the time. Something that is given freely should be given freely as well.

I donate blood, though the LPN's that draw it hate me as I have rolling veins.

I also plan on donating my body...if anything, as a example on not what to do with your life.

But it has been and continues to be an adventure.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I don't care what happens as long as my organs are used...we are already dead...this is about saving lives, could be your kids could be your parents who need an organ.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Good for you fella, you and I will know in our last dying breath that our death may help others survive

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I would do it if they could guarantee that my organs would be used to save a life and not end up on some Body Farm or in a gross anatomy class being fondled by students.

I know that kind of thing is needed but it just doesn't sound appealing to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Might I offer an extreme, paranoid opinion?

Granted there is a shortage of organs. There is a great demand for them and if hospitals can get them, the resulting surgery and care is a money maker.

Assume I get in a serious motorcycle accident, sprawled on the freeway barely breathing, bones shattered. Is it impossible that there might be a conversation like this in the head of the first medic to the scene "Man, even if he makes it through this, which is really doubtful, he's going to have a tremendously painful life. It looks like he's got a lot of good organs though. His license says he's a donor. He'll never feel it if I just stop his breathing."

Persuade me that a medical system will take as good care of me if I'm a donor as if I'm not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join