It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google commits suicide.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
googles sucks anyhow.

Use Startpage or Ixquick. Both use google (but are proxied) and are just as fast.

They are working on hyper secure email at the moment.

Duckduckgo is another similiar to Startpage.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Submit a complaint, I guess?
I'm not sure what you want us to tell you...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well it wasn't suicide for the stock of Google as the OP suggested 0.88 increase today.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This thread needs more Christians in here to shed light on the OP's sentiment that Google's logo pissed them off.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Lol people are so anal sometimes, i find it amusing

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Those People are sadly misguided fools!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I do not agree with everything that has been posted here so I cannot claim to speak for all Christians. I can tell you that for myself
1. No news outlet or social media outlet told me to be mad. Google is my homepage and I opened the laptop to put the camera card in to make more room for pictures later in the day. I was immediately struck by the post of Chavez. Not angry, and nothing against him but it seemed to me that Easter is major holiday for most of this country. Google has per country screens. I was put off by it - on an intuitive level most strongly - and I was the first of my friends to put it on social media. I did not disparage Chavez. I did know which Chavez was pictured, but, it felt a bit off to me.
2. As the day progressed it became clearer to me why I felt as I did. Easter is the day that celebrates the resurrection of Christ. It is the foundation of the religion. A "man", because on that cross he was one, suffered and died and conquered death to redeem the rest of us. No matter how great a contribution a man (Chavez, Washington, Jefferson, any man at all) other than that one made to the world -- nothing can match it. Nothing. Had the doodle space been left empty for the day - or had it been a machine, or spring scene, or whatever -- but it was a man. And, yes, it felt out of step with my values.
3. I recognize fully that Google is under no obligation to do anything in terms of my values. I get it. And, hey, the founders are Jewish aren't they -- so, all the more reason. But, who picked this on that particular day? Who depicted Chavez in what (admittedly subjectively) seemed somewhat messianic and reminiscent of the Jesus pictures of my youth. Why pick a man? If it were a less savvy company I would consider the entire thing a giant misstep. But Google isn't really a misstep kind of company. Sure, it's one of the few things for which they don't use algorithms and maybe they should after this -- but a man, in a rather messianic representation, and then
4. I know some will slam me for this -- I am beyond caring -- his first name is Cesar. Sure, sure this could be a massive coincidence but how many of us on here really hold coincidence tightly to our breast? It raises the "oh really?" factor for me. It was under Caesar's authority that Pilot held the power to see Christ crucified. It had a certain feeling of purposefulness to me. Snarky, insensitive, and oh so impressed by it's own cleverness. And, I am a pretty good judge of that - there were times in my life when that kind of thing clever for the sake of clever - subtle levels of offense - it appealed to me. I have outgrown it. I don't think whoever picked the Doodle has.
5. It isn't only about Google. As per my prior posts on this thread - people I love and who claim (and I still believe them) to love me dearly think nothing about being that insensitive to my most dearly held beliefs. I am rethinking my circle of friends. I can only imagine if I were to be so cavalier and rude about something that their secular hive mind agreed upon as important. I think perhaps more people out there than just me are experiencing these slights and offenses in their own life and the built up hurt was triggered (even if it was inadvertently- though I don't think so) by Google's choice.
6. And finally, and this is the biggest piece for me - the vile outpouring towards Christians. Not towards some, or towards those who said things that weren't very Christian -- toward all. Like a coiled snake lying in wait for an opportunity to strike. Nobody tolerates when people say those things about other groups (and they shouldn't) so they shouldn't do it to Christians either.
I don't need Google to celebrate Easter. But, this, to many of us, feels bigger than Google - it feels like a long slippery slope toward a culture that says it is okay to treat Christians with an insensitivity that wouldn't be shown to other groups. And I am not saying that Google is the only one that (may, I think they did) do that -- it's spreading.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fr33kSh0w2012

I could say the same thing about whatever club you belong to...in fact I will.
You are misguided.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
2. ." A "man", because on that cross he was one, suffered and died and conquered death to redeem the rest of us. No matter how great a contribution a man other than that one made to the world -- nothing can match it."

In your opinion. I would rather hear more about this Chavez fellow. Never heard of him til now. I hear about Jesus all the time.

3. I recognize fully that Google is under no obligation to do anything in terms of my values. I get it.
Do you?
But, who picked this on that particular day? Because apparently this Chavez day the same day every year.

5. It sounds like you are hyper sensitive. And I'm pretty sure that you aren't angry about the google thing, you have repressed anger for your friends and family because they don't walk on eggshells around you.

"I don't need Google to celebrate Easter."
Apparently though, you need Google to celebrate Easter.

"But, this, to many of us, feels bigger than Google - it feels like a long slippery slope toward a culture that says it is okay to treat Christians with an insensitivity that wouldn't be shown to other groups."
I've always found most Christians to have enough of a sense of humour to take jokes with a grain of salt and a laugh. BUT
If the Christian faith was strong enough, it wouldn't be on that long slippery slope. There is a very good reason that the institution is failing.

Don't bother responding, I won't be back, but take care.

edit on 1-4-2013 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It is a coward who takes shots from the shadows.

I freely admitted that I was hurt by people whose beliefs differ from mine, whose beliefs I have been sensitive to, who don't do the same. If you have any Christian friends you have probably hurt them too. But, if you think that it's cool for groups to sit around and hurt each other needlessly than that is just another place we differ.

And, if you do come back -- I'll be here. Understanding and civilization require polite discussion from time to time. I am willing to do my part.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

(Maybe that clever play of names was carefully arranged by the demon-possessed Council of Seven... haha.)

Thanks for your viewpoint. I think I understand now... that this doodle gesture is simply the latest in what seems to be a downward trend towards an eventual cancelling-out of Christianity altogether.

Easter is a major holiday, I agree... and bunnies with eggs is also the popular portrayal. Out of curiosity, would you feel the same way if the doodle had been drawn in that way?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilesmcgee
If the Christian faith was strong enough, it wouldn't be on that long slippery slope. There is a very good reason that the institution is failing.

Well, no religion lasts forever. I'm surprised that Hinduism lasted for as long as it has. Then again, it is attached to a strong culture. Christianity has grown increasingly unsteady since Protestantism emerged, and it's about to topple completely for want of a reliable cultural foundation.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

A bunny wouldn't have bothered me. I am fully aware that it is European Pagan. I also recognize that the reason for Pagan overtones in many Christian holidays is because the Europeans weren't keen on letting of their faith when Christianity was imported. But, that difference was explained to me when I was much younger and the traditions don't bother me and are fun for kids. I don't think it would have bothered me if it was a car...just that if a man was to be recognized, on Easter...then, as the news on it picked up and going back to look at it in the evening -- there were so many hateful comments. There was such a trashing of Christian belief. It was rude. To be clear Google didn't comment -- people on new articles, etc. Many of the comments came from people who called Christians (not some, all) small minded, intolerant, people who don't have respect for others.... It's just very disappointing. As a Christian, as an American, and as a human. Just disappointing.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The mindset behind those comments, I believe, comes from a backlash against the perceived bad reputation that fringe Christians have created for themselves over the past several years.

I wish the drawing had been a bunny rather than a guy I've never heard of. So much cuter...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I have also been doing on a lot of reflecting on how I, as a Christian, have gone about not being offensive. Given that I have friends who can say such hurtful things (there were plenty of Zombie comments and the like) and who I don't think do get it exactly how hurtful and offensive those comments are to me -- then I need to step up more and say so in a way that they can actually hear. It isn't that I have never said it is just that in being not offensive to their points of view I have not sufficiently defended my own. I suspect that many other Christians have become this way as well which is why the "poster child Christian" is not someone that I am very proud of being in any way associated with. Christians must step up, despite the discomfort and the potential to alienate, in polite ways to defend our beliefs and our rights to them or extremist and obnoxious people will take over the brand...(more so than they have already). I am hoping that will come out of this scenario - but I also expect it will lead to a separation. But, since I do truly believe what I believe -- for me at least, it's time. Part of me feels that it will be the whole when I was a child/childish thing and that my secularist friends -- who are a LOT of fun, will become part of what I put away -but I am a parent and I view that as bringing certain obligations. I must live the example I want for my children. I want them to be kind and open to others, but I never want them to feel that they need to accept their faith as second rate in anyway.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I hope there's a separation between the loud majority and those who are serious about Christ's teachings. Some people wonder why the latter aren't doing enough to oppose the ones who treat Christianity as an exclusive club and think nothing of looking upon the rest of humanity with hate. It's truly no wonder that many people think Christians are the most unforgiving people on earth.

I kind of wish the Bible hadn't featured as one of its commands "pray quietly and don't let anyone see you do it", because that means fringe believers won't have a contrast against their cold-hearted hypocrisy. As a result, they're the only ones people see.

(Not that I fancy the image of people literally praying loudly on street corners. That's just obnoxious and drives people away. It's just... at least come out of hiding, you know?)

edit on 1-4-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
First off I need to tell everyone that after many years of reading ATS, this is my first post. I have been quite content to just visit this site and read all the interesting topics all of you contribute to. However all to often lately I am finding so many people being offended by the strangest things and I have to say this one is so weird. How long has Google been around now? How many Christian holidays have they honored. How many religious holidays of any sort have they paid homage to?

I am a Deacon in the Catholic Church and am very proud of the fact that I knew Cesar Chavez personally. Cesar was an exceptional human being, putting all others above himself. This man, that has so offended some people risked his life fasting in protest of the use of pesticides of grape crops, spent time in prison defending the well being of others and so many other selfless acts. March 31, 1927 was the day this man, my friend was born. In addition to posthumously receiving the U.S. Medal of Freedom, California, Texas and Colorado has set aside the 31st of March as Cesar Chavez Day. It is a day to give back to the community.

I truly believe that on March 31st 2013 Jesus was patting Cesar on the back for a job well done.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So you're saying that you would rather commemorate an imaginary bunny, imaginary eggs and a possibly imaginary man than a real existential man who stood up for equality and human rights?

google-1, hypocrites-0

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator
Easter = Ishtar from Babylonia

mystery-babylon.org...

So in a sense, celebrating Easter is like celebrating a Babylonian holiday and the only ones that really worship Babylon today are pretty much Satanists, or Paganists to put it in a nicer way.

I love Jesus and all, but Easter is a pagan holiday.
If I was Christian, I would actually be insulted to have the resurrection of Jesus Christ being hoarded by bunnies signifying sexual fertility.

But sure, let Google insult you instead.
edit on 31-3-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

This is not really aimed at you, but at everyone (multiple references in this thread, and thousands more on the social networks this past weekend) who has been posting that Ishtar is Easter. We need a big fat 'citation needed' tag on this. I am under the impression that Easter is more related to Ostara . Am I wrong/misinformed?

Back on topic, Google can do what it pleases, if someone is offended then they may use another search engine. Just remember that Bing is owned by Microsoft. Another corporation.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Nemo418 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2013 by Nemo418 because: can't speel

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by jimmiec

I think ill be moving on to bing now..

Yep, me too.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join