It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2013-2019

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Okay, hear me out, this is not another NK thread, but an update thread. Like quake watch etc.

A new interesting article posted today, it doesn't deserve a thread on its own since its just an update, but I also couldn't find a fitting thread to post the update in.

So i'l try to keep this thread updated on daily basis since it's clear this might be awhile before anything happens. And lets it doesn't

For those interested in seeing how long this has been going on RT has a nice recap/timeline
Timeline North Korea threats

31/03/13: North Korea vows to strengthen nukes amid tensions
www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

A meeting Sunday of the central committee of the ruling Workers' Party, guided by leader Kim Jong-Un, decided that the country's possession of nuclear weapons "should be fixed by law", the official KCNA news agency reported without elaborating

30/03/13 N.Korea declares 'state of war'
rt.com...

North Korea has declared it is in a 'state of war' with South Korea. From the moment of declaration, it says, it will deal with its southern neighbor according to "wartime regulations."

Pyongyang also warned it would retaliate against any provocations by the US and South Korea without "any prior notice."

30/03/13 U.S. says it takes North Korea threats seriously'
www.reuters.com...

"We've seen reports of a new and unconstructive statement from North Korea. We take these threats seriously and remain in close contact with our South Korean allies," said Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council."

30/03/13 Senior Russian diplomat urges restraint over North Korea'
www.reuters.com...

"We hope that all parties will exercise maximum responsibility and restraint and no one will cross the point of no return," senior Russian Foreign Ministry official Grigory Logvinov told Interfax news agency."

30/03/13North Korea threatens to shut joint factory complex over insults'
www.reuters.com...

"If the puppet traitor group continues to mention the fact Kaesong industrial zone is being kept operating and damages our dignity, it will be mercilessly shut off and shut down," the North's KCNA news agency quoted an agency that operates the factory park just miles north of the rivals' armed border as saying."

30/03/13 U.S. B-2 bombers sent to Korea on rare mission: diplomacy not destruction'
www.reuters.com...

"The aim, the officials said, was two-fold: to reassure U.S. allies South Korea and Japan in the face of a string of threats from North Korea, and to nudge Pyongyang back to nuclear talks."

29/03/13 North Korea readies rockets after U.S. show of force'
www.reuters.com...

"KCNA said North Korea and the United States could only settle their differences by "physical means". The North has an arsenal of Soviet-era short-range Scud missiles that can hit South Korea but its longer-range Nodong and Musudan missiles, which could in theory hit U.S. Pacific bases, are untested."

29/03/13 North Korea Has Issued Its Ultimate Definite Last Totally 'Final Warning''
news.yahoo.com...

North Korea greeted the weekend by stating through its KCNA news agency that it is entering a "state of war" with South Korea. This seems like much more serious news than an earlier KCNA story about using nutritious leeks in seasonal dishes, but there's reason to be skeptical that NoKo's latest declaration means anything at all.

29/03/13 North Koreans stage mass rally in support of Kim Jong-un's call to arms
www.telegraph.co.uk...

"We will demonstrate with practical military action the firm will of the army and people of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea," Mun Kyong Dok, Chief Secretary of the Pyongyang City Party Committee of the Worker's Party of Korea told the rally, reading out a statement of the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army

29/03/13 US warns North Korea of increased isolation if threats escalate further
www.guardian.co.uk...

"The bellicose rhetoric emanating from North Korea only deepens that nation's isolation. The United States remains committed to safeguarding our allies in the region and our interests that are located there," deputy press spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters travelling with Barack Obama on Air Force One to Miami.

edit on 31-3-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Sep 8 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: added 2015

edit on Sat Dec 29 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed date in title

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There has been tensions in the region , but I don't know if it is serious even it is state of war.

It seems another cold war IMO.

Is it serious ?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It gets serious when they act on there words and they normally do.

Thats the only thing I respect about North Korea They talk the talk but they also walk the walk.
edit on 31-3-2013 by jroduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
These are the biggest headlines since recent days.
So expect a daily update.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
great idea and good thread!
I will contribute as well

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You need to add these:

North Korea Threatens To Shut Down It's One Remaining Link With South - Kaesong - 30 March, 2013

Today North Korean state news agency KNCA has published an article titled "DPRK Warns Future of Kaesong Industrial Zone Depends on S. Korea's Attitude," in which they threaten to close the park. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

and this from today, not really a threat, but more of a firm statement:

North Korea Says It's Nuclear Weapons Won't Be Traded - 31 March, 2013

A top North Korean decision-making body issued a pointed warning Sunday, saying that nuclear weapons are "the nation's life" and will not be traded even for "billions of dollars." Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 31-3-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Twitter My brothers friend he's in the marines is most likely getting sent out to north Korea soon they told him

Can someone confirm this? Maybe someone who has ties in the US army.

Kudos

Edit: @eriktheawful : Wish I could 4 hour edit limit
I tried to pack as much as possible in OP but yeah from now on it'l just be update posts.

TY for contributing.

For anyone wanting to update, try to keep the formula i use
headline size 4
source

This way its clear if its an update.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
31/03/13 U.S. Denounces North Korea ‘History of Bellicose Rhetoric
www.bloomberg.com...

“It seems there are no more cards left for North to pressure South now, and Gaeseong seems to be the last resort,” Yang Moo Jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said by phone yesterday. “Chances of them closing it are very slim, almost impossible.”
About 200,000 North Koreans, including workers and their families, depend on the Gaeseong industrial zone for income, Yang said.

31/03/13 House Homeland Security chair: North Korea not bluffing
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

(CNN) - House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King said Sunday that the recent provocative, warmongering rhetoric out of North Korea is no "empty threat."

He qualified that by explaining he does not fear the North launching a successful attack on the U.S. mainland, but is concerned North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "is trying to establish himself ... trying to be the tough guy," and may "box himself in" and need to display some level of military might.

31/03/13 U.S. Moves Stealth Fighters to South Korea
online.wsj.com...

WASHINGTON—U.S. F-22 stealth fighter jets arrived in South Korea on Sunday for joint exercises, U.S. defense officials said, the latest demonstration of advanced military capabilities meant to deter provocations from Pyongyang.

The arrival of the F-22s came after previous displays of U.S. air power that included B-52 bombers and B-2 stealth bombers. The F-22s are ordinarily stationed ..

These stealth fighters where send today.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
DPRK threatens Japan www3.nhk.or.jp... from the link

N.Korea threatens to attack US bases in Japan

North Korea is threatening missile attacks on US bases in Japan as a response to the increased sanctions against the country.

North Korea's ruling party newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, issued the warning in a commentary on Sunday.

The article said the Korean People's Army has decided on the targets of its attack and the rockets used in actual fighting will have the power of small tactical nuclear bombs.

The commentary also said North Korea is capable of attacking the US bases in Yokosuka, Misawa and Okinawa in Japan as well as the US mainland and Guam.

The commentary added that the North also has the ability to intercept any aircraft or cruise missile from Japan.

North Korea's threat came as the Japanese government plans to deploy high-performance US radars that can track North Korean missiles. Japan has also tightened sanctions against the North, in cooperation with the United States.

North Korea has strongly reacted to these moves by escalating its threats against the United States and Japan.

Mar. 31, 2013 - Updated 14:30 UTC
add this to the F22's and the SK US MARINES drill next month how far can Un er DPRK be pushed? It seems we are pushing Un's button to war. as if we want war, did we not get enough war?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Great idea.

Lets keep the NK updates in a single thread instead of taking up a whole board with it.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Every once in a while you run across someone that seams detached from reality. They just do not grasp the gravity of the situation through their ignorance, to the point that it is dumbfounding. I just seen such a person on Arirang tv.

I was just tuning through the channels on intelsat 9 and came across an interview on Arirang tv. My jaw almost hit the floor. There was some fat American/Canadian/European idiot on there talking out his rear end. He was saying, we need more tolerance and understanding in regard to NK.

Um….I am sorry but…. They are threatening to nuke our asses! The time for tolerance has officially past.

I wish I had a copy of the interview, or a link to it so other people could see it but I don’t. I couldn’t even stand to watch it long enough to figure out who was talking, let alone watch it to the end.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
01/04/13 South Korea president orders instant military response
www.telegraph.co.uk...
and another source
blogs.wsj.com...

"The reason for the military's existence is to protect the country and the people from threats," Park told an audience of senior military officials and journalists. "If any provocations happen against our people and our country, it should respond powerfully in the early stages without having any political considerations."

A new day, a new threat. This time South Korea,
edit on 1-4-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
There has been tensions in the region , but I don't know if it is serious even it is state of war.

It seems another cold war IMO.

Is it serious ?

Will they shoot if...?
Yes, they will

No joke...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
01/04/13 North Korea appoints ‘reformer’ to top leadership post
www.washingtonpost.com...

North Korea has appointed Pak Pong Ju, known as a reformer, as the country’s next premier, a job that officially makes him the head the national government. How big of a deal is this? Is Kim Jong Un signaling his desire to finally open up North Korea to the world? Sadly, we should probably set our expectations for “reform” pretty low.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
You need to add these:

North Korea Threatens To Shut Down It's One Remaining Link With South - Kaesong - 30 March, 2013

I was told the other day by a family member who is military that if they do that, it would be a bad sign. Hope that's not true.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

It would be, so far all information is conflicting, it looks like NK is trying to open its borders yet its doing the opposite. And to answer you

"About 200,000 North Koreans, including workers and their families, depend on the Gaeseong industrial zone for income, Yang said.
North Korea, with an economy of about $29 billion according to the latest estimate by the South’s central bank, generates about $100 million profit annually from the joint project, Yang said. The South’s economy, some 38 times larger, makes quadruple that amount, according to Yang."

So given the poor economy in NK chances are slim they will.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

And you point is what Un wants , some one like you to say Nuke'em. This in it self is an act of provocation that Un is just rubbing his hands over.

"Will some one please take my bait i am tired of the same old threats , this will not go on but i can not act if i do i will get a nuke down my shorts with out China backing me.Just one take it and say nuke me, ill show you nukes"

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

I was told the other day by a family member who is military that if they do that, it would be a bad sign. Hope that's not true.

It's about the last bluff card to play, but an expensive one for NK... If it DID happen though, war would likely REALLY be imminent.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jroduk

I think you are right. It is all talk the talk for the homies It would be interesting if a small SK or US missile was fired that did explode in NK. Would NK walk the walk? I doubt it.

I think China's silence proves NK is only talking the talk. If China thought NK were serious they would "intervene". China likes stability.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
01/04/13Those U.S. Stealth Jets Haven’t Actually Flown Near North Korea Yet
ht.ly...

As North Korea ratchets up its apocalyptic rhetoric, the U.S. military has sent advanced warplanes to a big training exercise with South Korea, including its premier stealth fighter, the F-22 Raptor. Only the Pentagon clarified today that the jets haven’t actually flown yet.

Two F-22 Raptors are on “static display” at the Osan air base south of Seoul, Pentagon spokesman George Little said. Outside of the flight on Sunday from Japan’s Kadena air base, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, the jets have yet to take part in the U.S.-South Korea exercise Foal Eagle, which will continue until the end of April.

01/04/13White House not seeing large-scale mobilizations by North Korea
ca.news.yahoo.com...

North Korea said last week it is in a "state of war" with South Korea and issued other threats that escalated tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
"I would note that despite the harsh rhetoric we are hearing from Pyongyang, we are not seeing changes to the North Korean military posture, such as large-scale mobilizations and positioning of forces," Carney said.

edit on 1-4-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join