It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign-born Presidents?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Schwarzenegger: I'd Run for White House

Monday, November 01, 2004

LOS ANGELES � Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (search) says he would be interested in running for president if the Constitution were amended to allow foreign-born citizens to seek the nation's highest office.

During an interview for Sunday's CBS program "60 Minutes," Schwarzenegger said, "Yes, absolutely" when asked if he would like to run and would support such an amendment.

Schwarzenegger, 57, had previously deflected the question.

"I think, you know, because why not? I mean, you know, anyone with my way of thinking, you always shoot for the top," the governor said. "But it's not something that I am preoccupied with."

www.foxnews.com...

Do you guys think that there is any chance the constitution will actually be amended to allow foreign born citizens to run for office? I don't think it will happen because it doesn't seem to be in our best interests.

Editorial: Should foreign-born citizens be president?

Some members of Congress want to amend the Constitution so that foreign-born citizens who have lived in the United States for at least 20 years can run for president. While the idea has merit in a society that has long opened its doors to immigrants and become so homogeneous, this kind of Constitution-tinkering falls short of being urgent or necessary.

www.thestarpress.com...

What are the benefits of allowing there to be foreign born presidents?

- Attero

[edit on 2-11-2004 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Do you guys think that there is any chance the constitution will actually be amended to allow foreign born citizens to run for office? I don't think it will happen because it doesn't seem to be in our best interests.

No.

Changes shouldn't be made to the Constitution lightly. I see no clear and present NEED for such a change, and I doubt others do either. The day Arnold becomes president is the day I move to frickin' Canada....

"I think, you know, because why not? I mean, you know, anyone with my way of thinking, you always shoot for the top," the governor said. "But it's not something that I am preoccupied with."

JEEZ!!! He's been in CA so long he speaks Valley!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
yeah i dont think it would be a good idea. Im not an american, but im a resident and soon to be a citizen, and i can pretty much garuntee that if i was president i would tend to put my country of birth higher in foriegn and trade policys.
America needs an American president who looks out for America
not an Mexican or Australian.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I agree with Gaz here.

only natural born citizens of the U.S. should be president.

I understand that America is the "land of opportunity", but not this office...

no way.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I still don't understand what qualifies him to be a governer, being a popular film action hero is hardly a qualification. And the likelihood of him becoming president, he's more likely to get an Oscar for his role in Red Heat.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I still don't understand what qualifies him to be a governer, being a popular film action hero is hardly a qualification. And the likelihood of him becoming president, he's more likely to get an Oscar for his role in Red Heat.

Arnold's passion to accept big pay checks from oil companies and his complete disregard for the enviroment made him a perfect (R) governer.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't really have a problem with it, so long as they are a citizen for "fill-in-number of years".

This is a bad focus for right now though, mainly because we can't seem to get normal people into the white house as it is.

We should work on that first.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This should never happen. Arnie needs to put a sock in it.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Can I remind you that it was us Irish that made your country! Geez, some people just can't return a favour. GO IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer

Originally posted by Koka

Arnold's passion to accept big pay checks from oil companies and his complete disregard for the enviroment made him a perfect (R) governer.

You know I dont usually tend to stand up for Republicans, but what you just said about Arnord is a complete lie. He doesn't accept big pay checks from oil companies, and if you check his enviroment record so far hes doing a pretty good job. So know the facts before you open your mouth you idiot.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No, we should no change the constitution for that, I like Arnold but I will not agree with a change in the constitution for him. Sorry "Arnold"

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CMCLA2003

You know I dont usually tend to stand up for Republicans, but what you just said about Arnord is a complete lie. He doesn't accept big pay checks from oil companies, and if you check his enviroment record so far hes doing a pretty good job. So know the facts before you open your mouth you idiot.

Relax, remember our greater purpose here on ATS is to deny ignorance, not to insult or call each other idiots..

CMCLA2003's march towards denying ignronace before calling people idiots

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I really think this constitutional amendment to allow foreign-born presidents is a rather moot point.
It's not like it would just happen overnight. It would take years] forget ALL the states to ratify it, if they ratify it.

Remember the ERA, equal rights amendment?? If memory serves, it never happened.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ya this is a good idea, not only do we want a non american to be a president, we want someone who

Worships Hitler, whos father helped in the SS, Publicly called blacks n*gg*rs, and sub human, I donno whats is more worse, having this idiot as president, or listening to you people actually think its a good idea...

I for one do not agree with any foriegner being president, the constitution is in place for a reason, just cause some rich moron wants to be president from another country, screw him, tell him to go where he came from to be president...

This is our country, so we can take care of it.. not including this bush crap in the last 4 yrs...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

So know the facts before you open your mouth you idiot.

Lets avoid insulting our fellow members please...

Thanks!

We can argue the merits, but no need for personal attacks.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Please show some links to back up your claims, and for gods sake not someone blog eh? The Governator has made it clear he supports business because its what California need for its economy and you know what he is right. BTW if he was anywhere elese but say California or Hawaii his stance on issues would make him a Democrat

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Please show some links to back up your claims, and for gods sake not someone blog eh? The Governator has made it clear he supports business because its what California need for its economy and you know what he is right. BTW if he was anywhere elese but say California or Hawaii his stance on issues would make him a Democrat

Sure no problem,

Chevron donates to Schwarzenegger, gets removal of restrictions on oil refineries in California

We're all here to deny something right?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

sure no problem,

Chevron donates to Schwarzenegger, gets removal of restrictions on oil refineries in California

We're all here to deny something right?

What do you expect for a Republican, he is one after all and they all for the big oil corporations. i thin he is doing well in Calirfornia but we will see how good he truly is going to turn to be.

I believe you, you do not have to show me any evidence I know they all do,
candidates get money for big corporations all the time.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
here is a nice little site for you people who want to have The Terminator as president.

www.arnoldexposed.com...

this site is made by Alex Jones.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
As Much as I love AHNOLD, and I am huge fan of his movies. I don't know if he has the qualifications to be president. But then again sometimes qualifications are just a justification to keep the people who really are qualified out of certain Jobs.

Hmm, Nice Rhetoric.

I think Foreign Born presidents of this country could be allowed, on a case by case basis. If they truly deny their heritage, and want to be Americans, and the live the american dream would only be a start.

-ADHDsux4me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join