It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler mauled by 7 Pit Bulls

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So I did. My apologies.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Reply to post by gunshooter

Yeah, your link didn't work. I searched alternet and found the story.

So WHEN were they called "nanny dogs"? Your link only has a one-liner about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Be our guest and point out the mauling of kids or adults by other dogs....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

We get it.

Give it a rest!

Msm says people killed by guns. Threads everywhere to give them up. Pit bulls attack/ kill someone and we have to give them up.

Guns don't kill people. People do. No such thing as bad dogs. Just bad owners.

Hopefully the 1st amendment is next so I don't have to see these idiotic threads anymore.

Eta. Feds want your guns and guards dogs. Save yourself some time and drive to your destinated FEMA camp now;
edit on 29-3-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have owned 2 pitbulls.The male I had for 12 years. He bit one person and that person deserved it. He was around children all the time and there was never a problem. He ended up getting cancer and even though he was in pain he never bit my 2 year old son. even when my son would jump on him. I put him down so he wouldn't bite my son. The female I liberated from a couple who abused her. They made her hang from a broom handle and beat her to make her more agressive. after having a litter of puppies she lost her mind and started going after people with gray hair and glasses. The first time I thought it was about the person she went after. The second time she went after my mother. She loved my mother. I took her outside and put her down. In most cases I think it's about the owner. I think people should have to take a course in dog ownership. especially for large breed dogs. I would not hesitate to get another pit they are in my opinion an exellent breed. I would also never let my child go in a pen with 7 pits. or stay with someone who would fall asleep while watching him.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by chrismarco

Folow the links in my previous posts to ghe NCRC and read their annual dog fatality reports. Lots of data and, unlike what the media gives you, lots of facts verified by professionals and experts.

Or dont. Im not going to lose sleep over other people being blind and ignorant for the sake of hate.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So I did. My apologies.

OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!

It was in the US in the late 1800's and early 1900s.. it was the english stock of the bulldog or Staffordshire Bull Terrier ( which was considered the nanny dog very much previously to 1800's in the UK) ... NOT the modern American Stafffordshire terrier or Pit Bull.
Youll see a LOT of websites claiming that the modern pit bull is the "nanny dog" which is not exactly the truth.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by Advantage

In that case I have a Basque Shepard jumping on me right now.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

How can you say pure bred species are wrong?
What about the working breeds such as Border Collies
who are shepherds right hands?
These dogs are pure bred for a reason & only
bred through working lines & not for looks
as in conformation show lines (confirmation not right
for the working line) or the "Barbie Collies".

I have worked in the animal field for 17 yrs plus...
No problems with Pits or Rotts...mostly problems
with Korean fighting dogs...not everyone of them
but more than Rotties & Pits. we would educate
people on researching the lineage of the parents
of a possible pup due to lines being bred for aggresion
by gang bangers & etc. I saw a 5mo Sharpee that was
extremely protective of a 6 yr old & her parents thought
it was amuzing. Veterinarian put them in their place
right away & let them know they were leading down
a path of trouble & allowing the dog to learn
abussive behavior & will be a huge problem if
allowed to continue.

Miniture poodles used to be on the top of the
aggresion list as well as chihuahuas, golden retrievers
& many other dogs that people assume are extremely
docile.

So it comes down to the breeding due to behavioral
instincts can & is bred into lines goood or bad,
they way the dog or anty animal is raised, & unresponsible
ownership of said animal as well as unsupervision.

Cannot blame the animal...humans created the situation
by neglect in breeding non-worthing breedings,
raising for aggression, not checking breeding background
for bad breeding traits, neglegance in
regards to monitoring child & animal
supervision & etc....
Hope I made some sense from me not so
smart limited phone...

Cheers
Ektar

It's the people not the animals!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Thanks for the link to the NCRC website. Everyone here should go and click on "Visible Breed ID Poster" for Pit Bulls. The genetics do not lie.....I only got one right, and one that is genetically a bullie breed would have been last on my list.
And from that site, here is a quote:

There is no scientific evidence that one kind of a dog is more likely to injure a human being than another kind of a dog. This is no evidence that, absent circumstances specifically associated with mating or maternal protectiveness, a dog being intact should be understood as a cause of aggressive behavior toward human beings. And for every dog that injured someone and who had been denied a positive human relationship, untold numbers similarly kept injured no one.
(bottom of Types of Dog Bite page)

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in the pages of this thread I have read so far, is the amount of pit bull today. It seems to be a much more common dog now than they used to be. I don't know who would take a dog census, but I am going to try and look it up. I don't recall ever meeting a pitbull, or even hearing about one until I was an adult. With an increase in population, the number and percentage of dog bites compared year to year might be skewed.
I have had several dogs stop by my home, lost. One of the first unidentified dogs (one habitual visitor lived a 1/2 block away, was old and almost blind. She seemed to know I would take her back home, which I did 6 times) was a Golden, which charged me, slobbering and foaming at the mouth. I called animal control, and a K-9 cop was sent out. He was ready if needed should the dog be sick. The dog, who never left my front door, perked up when she saw him. The officer stopped, looked at the dog and said sternly "heel", which the dog did with tail wagging. The cop said "down", and she did. He turned, she automatically heeled again. A collar, some praise, a cookie, and a dog used to obedience from a man was happily taken away.
Several years later, a large "pit bull type" dog, complete with scars, heavy chain dragging, and extremely thin found me. I gave it a cooky, some water, and called animal control. They sent out two men, with heavy gloves, who both pet and praise the dog while putting on a proper collar and leash. They both expressed that it was a shame such a beautiful dog was treated so poorly, and that being a pit bull would not be put up for adoption, but put down because of it's breed. Behind my kitchen door, my two Jack Russell were attempting to pull the blind down and dig through my door. When they asked what was behind the door and found out I had 2 JRT's shook their heads and said I was nuts for having two JRT's, they would trust a pit bull over even one of them.
I now have two dogs, a mini-dachshund and a Jack Russell terrier-Chihuahua mix. I recently saw a list of dogs most likely to bite. It was a short list, and dachshund, Jack Russell, and Chihuahua were on it.
It is not the dog. It's not even the breed, with a few rare exceptions (want a vicious dog? get a Caucasian Mountain dog). It is the owners who don't socialize, train right, and know their limitations. Some people shouldn't have a single dog, and very few should have seven.
The same can be said for children.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

It shocks me but then again it does not. Rarely one mentions the toddler; the young girl; the human life. The one with a soul, a conscience, a child of liberty lost to some idea that is held by a group of people that owning a dog that mangled and dragged a child around the back yard is some idea of freedom. That dog is an instrument of fear utilized by perverted minded individuals that attempts to make recompense to society by IMMEDIATELY offering apologetic rationalizations on behalf of a dawg.
Then it reduced to the dumb a** defense of it is a racial issue. REAAALLLLLLYYYYYY!!!????

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Sad.

My question?

What parent in their right mind, leaves a child with 7 Pit Bulls, or any other animal without strict supervision?

Parents like this shouldn't have animals or children under their care. MHO

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by Jaellma

The answer is simple. Do not outlaw these dogs but treat them like guns. If your dog does something illegal, you should be directly responsible for their crime. If a person knew they could get the death penalty if they don't raise their dog right, I bet this would happen far less and I also bet there wouldn't be very many pit bull owners.

Similar to what I was thinking. But,like a weapon,there should be restrictions on who can own a pit bull. Whether people here want to admit it or not they ARE dangerous dogs.They can be set off at any little thing.That makes them dangerous.And being in the wrong hands multiplies that by 100.Just like a gun.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirjunlegun
That dog is an instrument of fear utilized by perverted minded individuals that attempts to make recompense to society by IMMEDIATELY offering apologetic rationalizations on behalf of a dawg.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Thankfully I am not the only person who thinks this. Sometimes the truth hurts but it is only when we recognize the truth for what it is then we can start the healing process.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

www.ywgrossman.com... heres some photos of dogs guarding their little humans,and their are two breeds of "pit bull" staffordshire (English in origin) and the American pit bull terrier, i have one of each the American is less friendly to small creatures but as never acted badly to children,where as the staffordshire keeps and eye on my nephew and niece when ever they play together and dosent let them out of his sight.

the two breeds react differently where the staffordshire is more responsive to attention then treats,where as the american is more food/prey driven id honestly be more worried about them running into kids then biting them at least with my dogs. but even saything this i would not leave an infant alone with any of my dogs(or any dog for that matter)
www.ywgrossman.com...
dailywag.marthastewart.com...
so the staffordshire is more considered the nanny dog compared to its american counter part (that does not mean they are not child safe)
www.badassoftheweek.com...
en.wikipedia.org... most decorated war dog in history and the only one ever given a commission and promotion to sarge

guardianpitbullrescue.com...
www.aspca.org... from the aspca
www.alternet.org...

www.avma.org... interesting link on dog bite statistics from the American Veterinary Medicine Association

PIT BULL TYPES Owners of pit bull-type dogs deal with a strong breed stigma,35 however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a "breed" encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified. Visual determination of dog breed is known to not always be reliable.36 And witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a vicious dog is of this type. It should also be considered that the incidence of pit bull-type dogs' involvement in severe and fatal attacks may represent high prevalence in neighborhoods that present high risk to the young children who are the most common victim of severe or fatal attacks. And as owners of stigmatized breeds are more likely to have involvement in criminal and/or violent acts37—breed correlations may have the owner's behavior as the underlying causal factor.

and

BREED BANS While some study authors suggest limiting ownership of specific breeds might reduce injuries (e.g., pit bull type,38 German Shepherd Dog39) it has not been demonstrated that breed-specific bans affect the rate or severity of bite injuries occurring in the community.8 Factors that are reliably associated with serious dog bite injury (requiring hospital treatment) in the United States are the victim being a young child and the dog being familiar (belonging to the family, a family friend or neighbor).40,41 Strategies known to result in decreased bite incidents include active enforcement of dog control ordinances (ticketing)42.

Blame the deed not the breed,pit bulls are the "assault weapons" of the dog world and what i mean by that is the media and to a greater extent general people have little to no knowledge of them and their true nature and that owners of them(pit bulls or "assault rifles") often understand them more then people who do not own/possess them

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
(yawn)...nothing is going to be done about owning a pit bull, period......what people need to do is that any neighbor that is living around you, that has pit bulls, needs to be told by you that you will kill their dog if it comes on your property simple, direct, and to the point. enough of this "my pit bull wouldn't hurt anybody" crap...if your pitbull comes on my property i will kill it, period, end of story

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

eh the break sticks do exist and they do come in handy if needed but keep in mind the link he posted is trying to sell us the product so of course they are going to say every one needs one. i keep my dogs on leashes if other dogs come up to my dogs and arent on leashes its on them if something happens,this has only happend to me once when i was walking my dog on a leash at the local park when a lady walking her two golden retrievers off leash showed up and her dogs bum rushed me and mine and i tried to keep my dog sitting and calm and it was working tell one of the goldens bit me then my dog got offended and proceed to get rid of the threat to me,lady came up screaming saying she was gonna sue me and get my dog put down,when the police showed up they were biased against my pit until they saw the bite marks in my leg from her dog they took her surviving dog to be put down and left me and my pit alone. shes lucky i didnt sue the crap out of her. neither of my dogs show unwarranted aggression to humans but one of my dogs is hit or miss with other dogs it all comes down to training them and keeping them out of high risk situations(dog parks etc)

and with the alarming amount of dogs shot by police i saw fit to train both of my dogs to lie down and roll over on their backs with paws in the air every time a person in a police uniform(or fire fighter/emt) shows up took me 9 months of training with my police officer friend but it saved my American pits life when police responded to my neighbors complaints of me doing target practice(being done with in the laws so i didnt get in trouble for that either) but the officers complemented me on how well trained my dog was as when they entered my house he was not secured but allready on his back looking friendly so they let me put him in my jeep and left on good terms and on the even that they come over to talk they call first so i can lock them up for every ones safety. it comes down to how you behave your self with your dogs and how you train them,if you broadcast fear or aggression they will pick up on it and try to find out what is bothering you and react to it and that applies to any dog regardless of size

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
If they haven't already the Pitt-Bull sympathizers and owners will drop in with cute and cuddly photos of this aggressively bred dog. And tell you how they "Control" their Animal. If they did you would never hear about this.

But let's get some facts 100% straight. This breed of animal was bred intentionally to be aggressive, vicious and mean! Frankly it needs to stop being breed. And regardless of what the MSM thinks and reports, the facts are that they are Killers plain and simple they have the highest Murder rate!

Year Total # Most fatal attacks by # Second-most fatal attacks by

2003 8 Pit bull-type (4) (50%) n/a
2004 14 Pit bull-type (10) n/a
2005 29 Pit bull (15) (52%) Rottweiler (6) (21%)
2006 30 Pit bull (17) (57%) Rottweiler (9) (30%)
2007 34 Pit bull (17) (50%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2008 23 Pit bull (15) (65%) Husky (3) (13%)
2009 30 Pit bull (14) (47%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2010 34 Pit bull (22) (65%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2011 30 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (21) (70%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2012 35 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (22) (63%) Rottweiler (3) (9%)

In the past 10 years Pitt Bulls have MURDERED an average of 27 people many are often children.

The next highest fatality from Rottweilers (another pointless breed) is still 9 times lower then Kills of this Animal.

Less people are Murdered by explosives, Drowned or Poison every year than this weaponized animal.

edit on 29-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Get your facts straight, the ATTS a group of people consisted of vets and dog experts have been rigorously testing dog temperaments since 1977 and Pits, Rotts have been scientifically proven to have a very stable temperament.

Pits were NEVER breaded to be vicious and hate humans they were breaded to fight dogs in dog pits... the ones that shown human aggression were put down to ensure the safety of the dog owners... What moron would jump in a pit of dogs to break a fight when the dogs are prone to turn on them???

Pits and other close breeds of molossers have shown to have a better temperament than most other common breeds like Border Collies, Dalmatians Great Danes and countless others... As a matter of fact they rate close behind Labradors...

Your stats are MSM biased as ALOT of "attacks" aren't even pitbulls you can find countless attachs that were blamed on pitbulls that were proven later to be labradors

Lets compare your stats against other dogs based on dog populations by race...

defendpitbulls.com...

And at last... Lassie's more unstable than Pits and Staffies... Only the MSM doesn't report those... when was the last time you saw a labrador, ChowChow and other breeds attack on TV? YOU DIDN'T cuz they don't end up on TV...

Lastly In ALOT of case the people cannot even identify the breed properly and the MSM just report a Pitbull, in certain cases other witness has reported the dogs from attacks to be Labradors and other breeds and the MSM disregarded it and announced it as Pitbulls because it was more "sensational"...

atts.org...

LABRADOR RETRIEVER 805 741 64 92.0%
PUG 45 41 4 91.1%

STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER 129 117 12 90.7%
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 870 755 115 86.8%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 657 555 102 84.5%
ROTTWEILER 5652 4,751 901 84.1%

BEAGLE 75 60 15 80.0%
BICHON FRISE 30 23 7 76.7%
BORDER COLLIE 292 238 54 81.5%
BOXER 449 375 74 83.5%
CHIHUAHUA 43 30 13 69.8%
COLLIE 873 701 172 80.3%
DALMATIAN 336 278 58 82.7%
GREAT DANE 290 233 57 80.3%
TOY POODLE 55 44 11 80.0%
WELSH TERRIER 38 29 9 76.3%

And also...

Statistics

Today’s media is filled with sensational headlines of dog attacks. Routinely quoted in these newspaper accounts are dated statistics from the Centers for Disease Control. The last CDC study released documented which breeds of dogs caused the most human fatalities from 1979 through 1998. While the CDC did an admirable job of studying fatal dog attacks, and went to great lengths to point out that irresponsible owners were the cause of most of these incidents, the media and lawmakers continue to use CDC statistics to substantiate claims that certain breeds of dogs are inherently more "vicious" than other breeds

Fatal dog attack stats

431 documented human fatalities from a dog attack IN THE U.S. FROM 1965 - 2001

Pit Bull and Pit-bull-type dogs (21%), Mixed breed dogs (16%), Rottweilers (13%), German Shepherd Dogs (9%), Wolf Dogs (5%), Siberian Huskies (5%), Malamutes (4%), Great Danes (3%), St. Bernards (3%), Chow Chows (3%), Doberman Pinschers (3%), other breeds & non-specified breeds (15%).

bull911.com...

Given that there about 10 breeds that are routinely lumped in the pit bull category (because they’re all “Bull” dogs), pit bulls are responsible for a relevantly small part of fatal attacks ...

STUDY FINDINGS:

After reviewing over 431 cases of fatal dog attacks it is apparent there is no single factor that translates in a lethal encounter between a person and a dog(s). A fatal dog attack is always the culmination of past and present events that include: inherited and learned behaviors, genetics, breeding, socialization, function of the dog, physical condition and size of the dog, reproductive status of dog, popularity of breed, individual temperament, environmental stresses, owner responsibility, victim behavior, victim size and physical condition, timing and misfortune.

While many circumstances may contribute to a fatal dog attack, the following three factors appear to play a critical role in the display of canine aggression towards humans;

Function of the dog - (Includes: dogs acquired for fighting, guarding/protection or image enhancement)

Owner responsibility - (Includes: dogs allowed to roam loose, chained dogs, dogs and/or children left unsupervised, dogs permitted or encouraged to behave aggressively, animal neglect and/or abuse)

Reproductive status of dog - (Includes: unaltered males dogs, bitches with puppies, children coming between male dog and female dog in estrus) It is necessary to emphasize that a fatal dog attack is an exceptionally unusual event. Approximating 20 deaths per year in a dog population of 53 million yields an infinitesimal percent of the dog population (.0000004%) involved in a human fatality.

edit on 29-3-2013 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2013 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What kind of idiot owns seven dogs anyways... Unless they are for breeding and such anyone that knows dogs for a second will know that you DO NOT leave a child alone with a dog whether its a labrador or any friggen dog PERIOD!

ANY dogs in numbers of 3 and greater will form a "pack" and will revert to their basic instincts, the alpha WILL be ALPHA and will be prone to attack and such and the others will follow... Anyone that has seven dogs that are free to roam and do whatever they want and allow childrens around them SHOULD be removed both dogs and children they aren't fit to raise neither... PERIOD!

Its true that you have a greater chance to get killed by a Pit if it attacks you because its a very strong dog HOWEVER per percentage of population you have more chance to die from drowning in a swimming pool should we outlaw pools too?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join