It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Shoots Horse Dead in Video to Defy Animal Activists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

There was a sergeant in my platoon who had a blast injury where he lost his sense of smell which meant he couldn’t taste anything either. He would say he could eat a skunk’s arse and wouldn’t know the difference.

As for your question I already said in my previous post whether they told me what I was eating beforehand or not. Yes I knew I was eating horse in other countries they didn’t say till after.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by silo13

Is this a new law?

State and local laws mostly, so varies...but also, the majority of drugs used in horse care (such as vaccines) are not FDA approved for human consumption, and that's where the issues are. Of course, these restrictions don't exist in many other countries. Our horses get periodic vaccines that are recommended for all horses.

In the UK, and the US, it's mostly just a taboo meat.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

I assumed you were from the UK, where it is illegal to sell horsemeat for consumption unless it has an official health record that shows no treatments. (though they have not been able to successfully control this, the recent scandal spurred testing of meats and found that race horses especially were getting through the process, with fake records);

But in the US, only California has a law (Prop 6) which bans the sale of horsemeat for human consumption.

Until the American slaughterhouses were closed in 2007, the biggest supplier of horsemeat that is compromised by treatments such as Bute was the US. 45% of the horsemeat they sold for human consumption!

In other coutnries which consume horsemeat, they have similar laws for livestock raised for consumption (in some cases stricter than the US- like in France where even hormonal treatments and antibiotics are not allowed for any animals meant for consumption).

But in the importing process, traceability is lost. AND the junk meat is cheaper than the meat carefully bred, raised and slaughtered according to regulations in that country, so it ends up in the circulation.

THIS is exactly my problem with horse slaughterhouses in the US re-opening- I understand the problem and know they are needed, but I would hope that some sort of controls (such as in UK) could at least be attempted.

I see no reason not to eat horsemeat and intellectually it seems on the same level as beef to me. But one day our grocery store had some and I decided to try it, but could not make my hand touch it.
As a horse owner, I guess my irrational emotions just could not do it.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've never really given this much thought but now that the subject has been brought up....
I think I'll go with the animal activist on this one. Their position sounds so much cooler.
No one should ever harm or kill an animal. We should only harm and kill people who do not share our view of the sanctity of animal life.
Yeah. Yeah. Let's butcher this guy who shot the horse to prove what kind loving and caring people we are. Yeah yeah.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join