It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens: The Definitive Guide S01 E01

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here it is , the first episode of the new show .
Season 1 , Episode 1 - “What to Expect”
Part 1 of 2. Scientists examine where aliens might live and if they will ever visit Earth.

This all-new special is an “Encyclopedia Galactica” of non-Earth life forms, and an investigation into the latest scientific understanding of life beyond planet Earth.
ALIENS: THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE showcases the extraordinary scientists who are currently grappling with extraordinary questions about alien life including: what will aliens really look like?; how will they sound?; what might their words look like; and, of course, will they come in peace?
This two-part special takes viewers to stunning, remote locations on Earth as well as elsewhere in the universe.

I thought it was for the large part an interesting watch , it felt a bit like an episode from Horizon here in the UK ... Enjoy

edit on 22-3-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm so glad that we finally have a 'definitive guide' to alien life! I got sick and tired of that fictional Ancient Aliens show, it'll be nice to have something with folks who actually know what they're talking about.
...wait.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The definitive guide to some that is not definite..This is going to be awesome. lol

Either way its something to watch. I love all shows about aliens even if its just CGI fluff to get us to watch tv

As a semi-pro CGI artist myself i cant really knock programs like this lol

edit on 22-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
for those who dont think that alien life exists, im sorry but you are either uneducated or extremely closed minded,. wake up! the universe is infinitely large for all we know. its a simple math problem. the drake equation...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Right, the millions of years advanced alien still needs what the Earth provides naturally.....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I have just watched it and agree with one of the scientists that we would definitely have something useful for an alien race and its not our technology, but certainly our natural resources, our developed resources and the building blocks of life all over the planet in so many forms, the dna.
This planet is awash with life in many forms, surely that makes us an extremely valuable acquisition.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Cool.. thanks for sharing. I'll check this out when I gt a few minutes

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Worldablaze420
for those who dont think that alien life exists, im sorry but you are either uneducated or extremely closed minded,. wake up! the universe is infinitely large for all we know. its a simple math problem. the drake equation...

The drake equation? Yeah right. A bunch of symbols that don't have any way of being shown to be accurate. Let's take a bunch of unknowns and call it known.
Is there life "out there"?

Maybe, maybe not. Probability hints towards yes, but there is still NO solid proof.

Drake equation blah!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe
... Probability hints towards yes, but there is still NO solid proof.
Drake equation blah!

Forget the Drake equation. Yes, mathematical probability is the way to go. See This Post...

As I've recommended to many in your position, spend ONE PENNY and get this book, it's worth the cost, and a great read...

edit on 3/22/2013 by Outrageo because:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Until we find ANY sign of life apart from the 1 case of abiogenesis we have observed on this planet so far the probability of life existing elsewhere in the universe is :

1 in (all the planets in all the galaxies in the universe)

Thats a probability so so small its not even worth contemplating. But even with such a small chance of it happening i hope its out there

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Thank you for the link , I love everything Michio Kaku does he is amazing. Makes me wonder though with all the top physicist's , engineers, and programmers etc. out there in Nasa, universities, and on shows like this. even though they are the most famous/smartest/well known around...... .. .There has got to be others who are smarter, or much much smarter then these guys working in cloistered government labs, who never get any publicity at all. Interesting thing to ponder sometimes!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I enjoyed it, and the quirky element to it was welcome
Thanks for sharing! I liked the comment about aliens, could they be metal? But the experiment that went with it didn't make much sense to me, but I guess that was because they hadn't actually got any positive results yet?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Because of the spiral configuration of the galaxy, aliens who visit Earth would likely be from a system of one of the 49 sunlike stars besides our Sun or one of the many red drarf stars within 51 light-years, beyond which the star population falls to nearly zero for hundreds of light-years within the spiral plane and zero outside that plane for millions of light-years.

And although having a large moon with substantial tidal effect may seem indispensable to maintaining an atmosphere (outgassing replaces air molecules lost to rock), the same effect can be enjoyed by an Earth-sized moon orbiting a gas giant or an Earth-sized planet much closer to a dimmer star. But Earth is also the densest planet in our solar system.

And why should we think of our notion of the Greys as what visiting aliens look like? Well, we say witness testimony is unreliable, but that's how people who were actually there in the Roswell case described them, while the official explanation was that what those people saw were crash-test dummies from the future. At least the Greys exhibit beauty, brains, and humility.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Until we find ANY sign of life apart from the 1 case of abiogenesis we have observed on this planet so far the probability of life existing elsewhere in the universe is :

1 in (all the planets in all the galaxies in the universe)

Thats a probability so so small its not even worth contemplating. But even with such a small chance of it happening i hope its out there

WRONG. Your probability only applies if the population : (all the planets in all the galaxies - 1) are lifeless. Since we do not know if there is life on those planets the probability has to be looked at differently. What we have is a SAMPLE of 1 out of trillions and that sample of 1 has a specific property : life. What is the probability that a sample of 1 out of trillions is unique. The odds are so staggering that the proibability of life is practically 1.

Think of it this way what is the probability of sampling a single grain of sand in the sahara and for that grain to be unlike any other grain the desert ?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I tried to see if a free PDF version of the book was available but it doesn't look like it. However I did find another document which basically sums up Aczel's argument in two paragraphs. The real problem is determining the true chance of finding intelligent life around a randomly selected star.

Certainly one of the most intriguing and important still-unanswered questions is whether we are alone in the Universe. Author Amir Aczel contends [1] that the probability that intelligent life is present somewhere else in the Universe is virtually 1. His argument is based on the simple binomial probability model below: Suppose that for each star in the Universe other than our own there is a certain probability p that intelligent life has originated and currently exists in a planetary system encircling that star. (We ignore the ambiguity regarding the concept of "currently" that arises from Einstein's Theory of Relativity for stars at great distances from Earth.) It seems reasonable to assume that the origination of intelligent life around one star is independent of whether it has originated near any other star. Thus if n is the number of stars in the Universe then the chance that intelligent life exists nowhere else than on Earth is (1 - p)^n. Now n is known to be approximately of the order 10^22.

Even if p is extremely small, the above expression will be close to 0. Aczel claims a value for p of around 10^-14, in which case the probability that alien intelligent life does exist is 1 - (1 - 10^-14)^(10^22) = .9999..., a number beginning with approximately forty-three million 9's. Aczel's rationale for his choice of p is not convincing, and in actuality it is not within our current scientific capabilities to come up with a good estimate of p. Nevertheless the argument above implies that the odds in favor of intelligent life outside of our own planet are overwhelming unless the chances of such life around a randomly selected star are exceedingly small, specifically, less than 10^22 or so (do you see why?). Several recent discoveries favor a "large" p rather than a small one, however. Specifically, the lifelike structures contained in the Martian meteorite found in Antarctica and the increasing number of probable nearby planetary systems that have been detected by astronomers both support a larger value of p than might previously have been conjectured.

Aliens, Asteroids, and Astronomical Odds - PDF

edit on 23/3/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If we are to believe the Sumerian writings regarding the "Shining Ones/Anunnaki" who stated that they had visited our planet some 250,000 years before (and there are some debatable shards of evidence that they could have) then surely it would not be beyond our imagination to assume that they had conquered 'time travel' by now.
It 'could' explain some of these 'abductions' as they could come here, do what they wanted to do, and then return without us knowing (apart from the abductee's of course). It 'could' also explain the fleeting glimpses of UFOs that some people see.
I still believe that our planet would be too rife with diseases for them to want to set foot on it or probe into human specimens but perhaps they could be immune to all that.

edit on 23-3-2013 by OzTiger because: grammar

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

WRONG. Your probability only applies if the population : (all the planets in all the galaxies - 1) are lifeless. Since we do not know if there is life on those planets the probability has to be looked at differently. What we have is a SAMPLE of 1 out of trillions and that sample of 1 has a specific property : life. What is the probability that a sample of 1 out of trillions is unique. The odds are so staggering that the proibability of life is practically 1.

No you are WRONG as you put it. If we knew there was life out there we could estimate a probability of it happening on a planet to planet basis. At the moment all we can say is that it has happened once. As we dont know how or why it has happened then we can not begin to produce a probability of it happening again. Unique events happen all the time in this universe and life might have been one of them. Just because you are dealing with large numbers does not guarantee something will happen more than once.

Think of it this way just because there are over a sextillion number of planets out there : do you think there is someone else out there who looks exactly like you? Has the same name? Has parents that look the same? Has lived exactly the same life and will continue to do every thing you ever say or do in your life until the day you die? Interacts with every atom and molecule in exactly the same way you have ever done or will ever do?

Of course not , the idea is ridiculous. You perform trillions of unique events every day, now multiply that by everyone who is alive on the planet, everyone who has ever lived and will ever live. Factor in every living thing.

So what this demonstrates is that countless unique events that are happening all around us all the time. Now what if whatever sparked off life was one of those unique events? What if it could only ever be sparked by those exact conditions at that exact moment? What is life was made by a long , long chain of unique events over a very very long time?

At the moment we don't know what sparked off life. We have been trying to search for an answer to how it happened for a while now. All we know for sure is that its not easily done. Everything live we have ever seen alive comes from 1 cell way back in the past. Its all part of a single family tree. We have not been able to find anything that does not fit into that tree.

So until we can work out how life was made , discover something that does not fit in the family tree or just discover life on another planet we CAN NOT produce a probability of it happening again that is anything other than 1 in (all the planets in the universe). Its simple maths , dont let the large numbers fool you.

I hope it is out there even though the odds are stacked against it.

edit on 23-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You know in any proper world where truth and honesty prevailed, this speculation on alien life could be avoided by just asking certain elements of the U.S. government (and possibly a couple others as well) what aliens are really like

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thanks for the video, I am happy that science is starting to open their minds, before the government tells us of the existing proof of ETs I bet they will tell the scientific community first and then have the scientific community tell us.

One big flaw - their scientific findings of biology on mars would not be the greatest discovery in human history - it would be the greatest discovery in human history told to the public. Time and time again I am hearing from archeologists and scientific researchers that their most important discoveries were being withheld from the public. Are we really to believe the history books over what the scientists say themselves? That is a fake narrative of this show, because most of the world has not evolved enough to see that 90% of the rest of the world hates itself which includes keeping secrets from each other. They are continuing to teach false lies to the world based on a lack of care for others.

Now mentioning 'robot species' in the video, we have to be very careful with what is robot and what is biological. It is not going to be a robot the way technology is going to see robots in the next 100s of years. We have to again remember the 90% of lies and the 90% of disinformation in this field. The way to catch any lie is through contradiction. Even Lear states the greys are cyber genetic, did he not once state they were EBE? But a true part of the video is that life on the alien planet may not be carbon, it may be metal. So the ET craft are actually conscious and alive. This is different than what we would think as a robot and this would back up the claims of David Adair.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
We all have different views and perspective on what an Alien may look like. That is a surprise only universe can unfold. It is a waste of space if we believed that there haven't life out there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join