It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates on SSRI's released...what happens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So what do they do? Do they send them off with a week supply, a script, what? Do they have an appointment set up with a doctor?

Through my own experience and research i have come to the conclusion that this drug can cause otherwise non-aggresive people to become violent sometimes even brutaly so; especially when coming off of the drug.

One of my best friend's cousin was stabbed to death on tuesday by her brother. He was released from prison on friday. From what i know about him, he's a criminal, but not a violent person.

The news is reporting, and from what I've heard from her family members, that an argument over who got to lay on the couch that night escalated, she pushed him, he pushed her back, she fell on to a chair, and he went to the kitchen got a knife and came back and stabbed her in the head 5 times.

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this and thought someone here would be able to share with me what the procedure is for releasing inmates taking these drugs back into society.

Seems to me they should be weened off in jail, and sent directly to a doctor on the outside.

edit on 21-3-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

So what do they do? Do they send them off with a week supply, a script, what? Do they have an appointment set up with a doctor?

They have a parole officer to check in with. If they don't get themselves caught for violation of parole, then they get to stay out. It is easy to get violated. Boy did he ever violate his parole. Sorry about your friend. That was friggin horrendous.

Why did they let such an unstable person out in the first place? And I know the answer to that too. Prison is hard and it hardens people, There is no rehab there, just survival and Gladiator training.

It would seem to me that meds (or the lack thereof) would only make matters worse. But I am not familiar with actual practice, sorry.
edit on 21-3-2013 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yea that's the thing, I don't think he was unstable. I don't even know if he was on any of the anti depressants, or drugs that contain ssri.

Just got to thinking about the situation, and what could make someone snap like that, over nothing...and that line of thought brought me to my question.

I mean I think it is well known if not a fact that suddenly stopping these meds causes violence in many people. I spent a couple weeks in jail once and twice a day 75% of the 90 women on my pod were in the 'med line' twice a day. So I imagine many of them are given prozac or paxil or whatever.

I know the violent tendency side effect can surface within the first week of discontinuing the drug. So what happens when they leave? Do we just trust that they will continue these meds? I mean, it can take up to a month to get a doctors appointment and im pretty sure they can't phone in these scripts. A week can fly by pretty quick especily when you've just spent a couple years locked up...

And thank you, yes...absolutly horrific.
edit on 21-3-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I know the violent tendency side effect can surface within the first week of discontinuing the drug. So what happens when they leave? Do we just trust that they will continue these meds? I mean, it can take up to a month to get a doctors appointment and im pretty sure they can't phone in these scripts. A week can fly by pretty quick especily when you've just spent a couple years locked up...

A couple years in prison? There is this weird period that ex cons go thru when they first get out. They have to switch over from inside to "real world". He was surely in that vulnerable window. What was he in for originally? Sometimes they won't release unless somebody will take them temporarily while they transition to a job, whatever.

Bad move... they usually don't like them to go back to their old environment either because of old "triggers". How is your friends cousin?

He'll be gone for good now.. That is a serious offense. If he can't keep from blowing up over little stuff like that, he should not be out. He is a "criminal" and "violent". Stabbing somebody in the head is about as serious as you can get. Attempted Murder?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

No, it was murder, she died right there in the living room. My friend is a mess, her whole family is. They never saw it coming, like i said, he was never a violent person.

Yea, That's a good point. Seeing as how i have no idea if he was even on any meds, your guess is as good as mine about the adjustment to life on the outside.

He's thief. He robbed a bank. He had some priors, like GTA, but nothing involving violence.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
What an horrific story,my sympathy to your best friend on the loss of her cousin,and in such an awful way.

I was on SSRI anti-d's for 13 years,foolishly believing doctors who said i would have to be on them for the duration of my life.Well,they were doing me No good after the first 2 years,when they "stopped working" i was basically subscribed different ones to try till Something worked.In hindsight,i now realise that Anyone in my circumstances who were Not severely depressed-would be a LUNATIC.Its NATURAL to be horribly depressed if you are trapped under continuous unhappy and despicable circumstances! Its NATURAL to be depressed if you grew up as an abused child,a broken,wounded person all alone in a hostile world,seething with anger and dying of pain,self-loathing, loneliness and despair on the inside. According to circumstances,depression is actually natural,and imo,the ABSENCE thereof would indicate abnormal psychopathy.

Now when i was on Aropax,it was just plain impossible to come off-and this one i did'nt even try cold turkey,i decreased the dosage,taking half a pill instead of a whole one,this was the 20mg tablet.And God forbid i tried to skip a day-by the 2nd day,the withdrawals would start:
Feelings of a massive impact to my head-like someone just lobbed a brick at my head,someone like a WWE wrestler.
An inability to walk properly,due to a feeling of disconnect between my feet and the floor,a lack of co-ordination,like an inability to judge the distance between the floor and my feet-walking stopped being the natural thing it is.
Strange feelings in my body,like electrical shocks and surges through my body.

I then changed from Aropax to Cilift-which i decided at one point to quit cold turkey-and this i could do-there were some side-effects,but not nearly as bad as those of Aropax.
I HAVE TO STATE HERE THAT I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT ANYONE DO THE SAME-IF YOU ARE ON ANY PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS,CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FOR WEANING OFF THESE DRUGS.

I'm just saying what my experiences were.
The point i'm trying to make here-I WAS JUST AS AGGRESSIVE AND VOLATILE *ON* ANTI-DEPRESSANTS THAN WITHOUT THEM.This i started noticing after the first 1+half years,but i stayed on them because they seemed to have an effect that that was numbing my pain(emotional/mental) and i was grateful for that bit of respite,the rest.lt was a numbness and a disconnect from the world and people.I mean, i have felt a disconnect from all people since first memory,but definitely NOT numbness-i was at least in touch with my emotions,before i went on anti-d's.My only mistake-and this was a GRAVE,SEVERE mistake,was to assume that it was abnormal and wrong to feel the emotions that i did.

Back then i was under the illusion that the numbness i felt on anti-d's,was what passed as normal ,and how "normal" people felt.During withdrawals from Aropax,i was feeling so debilitated and sick that hostility and aggression did'nt even feature,i was seriously trying to just hang onto my sanity and get through,till i had to concede that,as a mother,i had to go back on them,as otherwise i would for a while be physically unable to care for my children.That's how debilitating it was,with the withdrawal symptoms i listed above.Maybe a strong tranquiliser would have mitigated the withdrawals to manageable level,but i was just Sick of mind-altering medication then,i wanted no more.

My own experience has taught me a very enlightening lesson-society makes us feel that "negative" emotions like sadness,guilt,anxiety,deep-seated anger,even stress,are abnormalities that have to be "cured".This is obscene.If these emotions are so predominant,and ceaseless,seek out a reliable counsel like a psychologist that comes recommended for results by folks who has actually consulted with the professional in question-not a psychiatrist as first option,but,a psychologist or trauma/stress therapist.

Regarding prisoners-there is zero hope of rehabilitation if the issues that caused the person to become an inmate in the first place, is not addressed.If prisons are only used to detain criminals till their release,its INEVITABLE that many,if not most,will go right back to the patterns established over a lifetime,and worse,due to all the negative influences they are surrounded by.The key should be INTERVENTION AND REHABILITATION.Mere detainment does nothing except except keeping keeping broken,wounded,angry(often with VERY good reason) people behind bars,and then releasing them back into a life they are not equipped to deal with in any way that is positive or beneficial,to themselves,and society as a whole.

edit on 21-3-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I have to add that the aggression and volatility i speak of was related to ceaseless "assaults" on me by certain individuals,except for sexual harassment,no criminal physical attacks took place,it was more emotional and mental/psychological abuse,just to clarify.I might make it clearer by saying: My deep-seated anger was still present,through the general numbness.It did'nt manifest as acts of violence,but in a general hostile attitude to the world in general,wrong and destructive attitudes.An extemely negative frame of mind.It seemed to turn my pain and sadness into a perpetual simmering resentment,on top of the righteous anger i already carried with me.But seething/resentment is no better than weeping,and it is that much more likely to prevent one from reaching for help,or even more valuable,introspection.
When you are sad and in emotional pain,you may still develop through that to a more balanced view of life,you may be motivated to try and find some one to help you,but anger,in my experience(however justified) tends to make you isolate yourself even more.

Could it be that person was in a lot of emotional/mental pain,and in jail things happened that added immense anger,i wonder?Without even the effects/cold turkey from legal drugs?It would be really helpful anyway,to know if he was on anti-d's and which type.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

No, it was murder, she died right there in the living room. My friend is a mess, her whole family is. They never saw it coming, like i said, he was never a violent person.

Damn! Thats so grrr... sad. He may have not been violent when he went in... but that was a violent act. Murder is violent. Shoot. I don't understand people that do things like that. I wish I could give you and them a big hug for suffering through that. I am so verry sorry...

They caught the guy? He's up for murder now. Write that guy out of your memory. There is no worse crime than some thug murdering a defenseless girl.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
awful story, and i'm sorry to hear about it. those drugs are awful and the truth needs to be spread about them and the damage they can cause.

it would be nice to know if there was a connection with him taking the drugs, until then it's really just speculation.
edit on 21-3-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: *extra

new topics

top topics

join