It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigs second hand "smoke"? Safe or not for the non smoker?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

WilsonWilson
I don't want to breathe in the pollutants from peoples car exhaust neither do my children but itcs always amazes me how people are quite happy to snipe at smokers and those who use e cigs but then get into a car. Hypocrites one and all.
edit on 5-2-2014 by WilsonWilson because: (no reason given)

Not a hippocrit buddy, I started a thread on car exhaust also.....My point of all of these "stupid" threads people claim these to be, is that I don't want my family or myself breathing in these toxins on a daily basis....Not to mention this being considered as "normal" everyday life things.....The point is, nobody has a choice anymore, this is all normal in our society....Unfortunately

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by xmaddness

Most consumers will get in contact with propylene glycol during their normal everyday life, when consuming personal care articles like creams, sprays, lotions, when enjoying soft drinks, sweets and other foods, or when taking a medicine or being vaccinated against a severe disease.

Good, we use just about 0% of anything on this list other than "other foods".....Now I don't want to breathe in your stupid e-cig either!

No bubble, I just don't want the garbage you are putting in your system to have to be breathed in by me....Say what you will, but that is MY choice!

The other very intelligent replies (/sarcasm) are about to make me change my mind also!!

"Live in a bubble"
"wear a butt plug so I don't have to smell your farts"

Wow, these are very intelligent replies! I will voice whatever opinion I would like, if you don't like the topic then stay away from the thread!

I told myself I wasn't going to come back, I told myself I wouldn't get sucked in to this again, yet here I sit and with only one thing to say: You are quite possibly the only person who gets their own opinion confused with fact.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

WilsonWilson
I don't want to breathe in the pollutants from peoples car exhaust neither do my children but itcs always amazes me how people are quite happy to snipe at smokers and those who use e cigs but then get into a car. Hypocrites one and all.
edit on 5-2-2014 by WilsonWilson because: (no reason given)

Not a hippocrit buddy, I started a thread on car exhaust also.....My point of all of these "stupid" threads people claim these to be, is that I don't want my family or myself breathing in these toxins on a daily basis....Not to mention this being considered as "normal" everyday life things.....The point is, nobody has a choice anymore, this is all normal in our society....Unfortunately

Oh man, you and your family really should not be going outside then, lucky for you, we have a nice little forum here for you to complain about all the little insignificant things right in the safety and confines of your own little delusional bubble.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

As much as I think that E-Cig enthusiasts are being super sensitive about your thread, you gotta realize that many feel like they've finally made some success in quitting tobacco. Most of these people are people who've tried to quit several times and failed. This is a little victory and when that's frowned upon, they naturally get indignant.

I use these too. I appreciate this thread because the question you have is the same as the one I have. Will I use them in public places? Yep and even inside places. But I won't use them right next to somebody or in front of my family. Your OP was not aggressive and you even made a point to congratulate people who have made the switch. What you have found was that there was, indeed, something that comes off of these even if minuscule.

I guess my reaction to this would be "it's not as bad as I thought but it's still inconsiderate to do it within somebody's breathing space". I'm pretty sure that the most angry responses came from people who didn't read the entire post.

ps edit - it would be interesting to see how many of the people saying you are overreacting complain about chemtrails which have even less evidence backing up the harmful effects. And they call you a hypocrite, heh heh.
edit on 5-2-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Cuervo

As much as I think that E-Cig enthusiasts are being super sensitive about your thread, you gotta realize that many feel like they've finally made some success in quitting tobacco. Most of these people are people who've tried to quit several times and failed. This is a little victory and when that's frowned upon, they naturally get indignant.

I use these too. I appreciate this thread because the question you have is the same as the one I have. Will I use them in public places? Yep and even inside places. But I won't use them right next to somebody or in front of my family. Your OP was not aggressive and you even made a point to congratulate people who have made the switch. What you have found was that there was, indeed, something that comes off of these even if minuscule.

I guess my reaction to this would be "it's not as bad as I thought but it's still inconsiderate to do it within somebody's breathing space". I'm pretty sure that the most angry responses came from people who didn't read the entire post.

Well, my anger was directed at ZOMG MAH WIFE STOOD UP AND FELT LIGHT HEADED, ECIGS ARE BADBADBADBADBADBADBADBAD

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

TokiTheDestroyer

Cuervo

Well, my anger was directed at ZOMG MAH WIFE STOOD UP AND FELT LIGHT HEADED, ECIGS ARE BADBADBADBADBADBADBADBAD

Well they didn't make a scene or say anything to them. It just inspired him to research it. What annoys me is when I have a tobacco cigar or cigarette, UNLIT, in my hand and somebody will walk by and start coughing and glaring at me as if I just blew smoke up their nose.

I don't think his wife was affected by it personally but they didn't act on it, either. He responded by looking it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hey E-Cig Smokers,

I've been enjoying mine for nearly three years now.

As far as tobacco is concerned? Our relationships to our plant and animal companions evolve too.

Ecigs is where we wanted to go, and tobacco definitely wanted us to take it there with us; it's good for the plant and good for us.

But we have to realize that the stuff gets everywhere. Those fats are vaporized to great big molecules that can't be absorbed by our lungs, it simply deposits the nicotine that it's carrying to the desired epithelial tissues where it can be absorbed.

The rest is all over your living environment and inside your car; look at the windshield.

You must change your animal's water bowls if you are vaping indoors, at the very least.

We need to be smart about this or someone will step in and be 'smart' for us.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
On very busy days in traffic, I get a migraine headache from car exhaust and I think we need to ban cars all together. I do not want to be inhaling all those toxic fumes. Can we get a breakdown of the components of car exhaust?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

From your study, it indicates no nicotine was found in the air from ecigs.

It has .73mg/m3 of TOC (total organic carbon). Normal cigarettes have 6.66mg/m3 of organic carbon so ecigs have 10.9% the TOC being exhaled.

and it has extremely small traces of glycerin.

But it has no nicotine.

In my opinion the most likely cause of your family members light-headedness was in getting up too fast after sitting for a few minutes.

Only two chemicals were found in the room from ecigs.

edit on 7-2-2014 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

NOCOTINE??

Oh you just proved me right......It is not freaking stage fog...

Read the freaking studies or go troll somewhere else!

Your peer reviewed quoted study (with chemical data) indicated no nicotine was traced in the ecig session in the air afterwards.

Your "vague" non-peer reviewed study said "small amounts of nicotine".

I have linked the image of the peer review data showing 0 nicotine found in the ecig second hand smoke under the "measured levels" section.

www.utahvapers.com...

Thanks,

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't like the crap chemicals from your car either. But I haven't told you to quit driving....

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

ElohimJD

Chrisfishenstein

NOCOTINE??

Oh you just proved me right......It is not freaking stage fog...

Read the freaking studies or go troll somewhere else!

Your peer reviewed quoted study (with chemical data) indicated no nicotine was traced in the ecig session in the air afterwards.

Your "vague" non-peer reviewed study said "small amounts of nicotine".

I have linked the image of the peer review data showing 0 nicotine found in the ecig second hand smoke under the "measured levels" section.

www.utahvapers.com...

Thanks,

Thank you for point that out. Apparently the OP missed his own OP.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
As a non smoker I am glad that they took cigs out of most public areas. To think that they used to actually smoke in restaurants? Now looking back that was gross hahaha. Anyway I don't agree with the use of "e cigs" or "vaping" in the same places where regular cigs were banned. I don't want your secondhand nicotine or whatever else you might be putting into the air. Saying that there is already pollution in the air is a sore argument. If that's the case then why don't we just allow smoking back in the restaurants again.

And to all those people that think that "vaping" is just water vapor. Just because it is vapor doesn't mean it's just water vapor. Vapor is any substance in the gas phase at a temperature lower than its critical point. A vapor is a gas or even a mixture of gasses.

Typically, the liquid consists of vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol, or a combination of both substances. It also includes flavorings and nicotine extract. Some manufacturers use alcohol to remove the syrupy texture of the liquid. Why would water be syrupy? Because it has other (potentially) dangerous substances in it.

Manufacturers like to point out that they use some "food grade" subststances to make it sound so harmless. But are we supposed to inhale food into our lungs?

"Vape responsibly" that comment on those packages and on the websites is laughable.

-Alien

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

FINALLY some actual proof that your e-cigs are tainting the air of us who don't want it in the air!!

I want someone here decrying second-hand smoke to go into court and argue a positive test for cannabinoids or THC is from a "contact," high. You will be laughed out of court.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Maybe if YOU would actually take the time to read it says:

Based on the observed results, we can conclude that cigarette smoking produces nicotine contamination in the air at least 35 times higher than esmoking. This means that we need at least 35 vapers to produce nicotine level in air similar to the level
produced by a single smoker.
Moreover if we had balanced the tests, asking cigarette smokers to consume the amount of cigarettes necessary to match the amount of nicotine used by vapers, the latter should have smoked about 29 cigarettes, producing an expected nicotine concentration of about 52 μg/m3.
It’s extremely difficult to discuss about the reasons for these results. We could suppose that there is a different absorption kinetics for nicotine. Or maybe the amount in play is extremely low, when compared to the nicotine amount released during
traditional smoking. However beyond all these hypotheses, which have not been verified, there is one fact: 5 vapers using e-cigarettes for 5 h in a small room without renewal of indoor air do not produce detectable levels of nicotine in the air.

There are 4 ingredients in an e-cig liquid and those ingredients are pharmaceutical-grade nicotine like you find in the patch, vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol and flavorings for the refill liquid made by food-grade companies.

There are ALL kinds of chemicals in the air you breath and they are not all from ecig vapor so I suggest you spend your time more wisely and go after the real perpetrators: www.gogreenacademy.com...

•In large cities, over 80% of fatal pollutants that cause lung damage come from cars, buses, motorcycles and other vehicles on the road.

e-cig vapor is like a drop in a large bucket.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

I agree with you Alien. It is NOT water. I am a vapor and quit smoking last Aug. I don't plan on vaping forever but I also don't vape in public.

What get's me is that people complain about smokers and when some smokers find something that actually works people still complain. I tried the patches, Wellbutrin, gum, Chantix, cold turkey and finally after trying vaping, in one single day I put down cigarettes. I was a 35 year smoker who lost her Mom to Lung cancer. I wanted to quit more than anyone. I don't want to subject anyone to any kind of smoking but the constant harassment is overwhelming.

Honestly we probably won't know the effects e-liquids have on people for another 10+ years.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

First off I would like to send congrats to everyone who dropped traditional cigs for electronic versions...

Thank you , seven months tobacco free and feeling all the better for it

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Yeah this thread is a year old but I'll chime in, i don't remember seeing it before...

Er.. NO Dude.. your wife DID NOT get faint from e-cig vapor. That nicotine dissipates super fast in the air.. faster than tobacco smoke. there is no possible way your wife could have inhaled enough vapor with nicotine enough to even be detected in her body at that distance. All the vapor and nicotine would already be long gone before it got to your wife.

As for your last comment encouraging everyone to use E-cigs only in places you are allowed to smoke - I say, Stick This in your Pipe and Smoke it - NO WAY.

I'll happily use my ecig in a restaurant (while eating), an elementary school, a church, a government building, movie theater, supermarket - in short, everywhere I please as long as it's not posted as illegal and in my state, non of those are illegal for e-cigs.

Why do i feel strongly about this?

Because there is enough proof they 1) cant hurt you with any second hand vapor and 2) I MUST be seen using it in public where all kinds of people gather - thats the only way I can shine my light to others who need salvation from harmful tobacco. People see it, they ask questions and begin a joyrney of self discovery that will make them healthier so they wont have to die a horrible painful death - thats way more important to me than offending someone like yours sensibilities simply because you are void of correct facts or simply don't like the way ot looks.

If you don't like it, move away from the e-cig folks but leave them alone - they trying to save their own life as well as others. Bugging them about this and forcing folks to hide their light under a rock is Selfish and Contemptible.

E-cig user for over 3 years - Lavatube version 2 Baby with a 5 volt setting and a 3.0 ohm atomizer - Nothing less in power and huge clouds of vapor will do for me.
edit on 7-2-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You should try a Kayfun with a 0.7 ohm coil on a mech with a battery fresh off the charger.
Efest 30 amp max batteries FTW.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm a smoker. I have nothing against ecigs. But I don't believe for one second they are better for people than regular cigs. They may have ran a couple tests but overall "they" dont really know the affects of ecigs yet. I mean we didn't think regular cigs were harmful a couple decades ago. The lack of testing even makes it perfectly legal for a minor to purchase the ecig and tobacco vape as the FDA doesnt have enough information on it. Now... really? Do I care if ecigs are better or not? No... But there is not conclusive evidence that states it is and I predict some day they will be treated just as regular cigs are now. Then they'll come out with something else I'm sure....

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join