It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was mystery boom in upstate New York really from earthquake?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

New York quake may have caused mysterious boom

An earthquake in upstate New York could be to blame for the mysterious house-shaking boom that residents across Tiverton, Little Compton and Westport reported feeling on Wednesday night. At approximately 8:40 p.m. on Wednesday, March 13, residents across the region dialed 911 to inform their local police station of a strange, earth-shaking phenomenon. Homeowners from Crandall Road in Tiverton down to the Little Compton Commons reported feeling a brief earth-shaking boom.

Source

According to folks who live in the area and their posts on the link above, they don't think it was an earthquake. Some claim it's more of the mystery sonic booms and shakes that have been rattling all over the country.

what you experienced was not an Earthquake!! It was what you call the Mystery Boom Phenomenon. All over the U.S local news stations have been reporting load explosion like noise with rumbling like that of an earthquake in the past 2 years. go to U-tube type in the key word "Mystery Boom" do a filter for this month and you'll see what I'm talking about.

We couldn't imagine what it was - we looked out to see if it was the wind... but it wasn't and it was so sudden and short it couldn't have been a plane. Thanks for posting!

I live in upstate New York. There was NO EARTHQUAKE. or at least none that would be so bad that it could have been heard and felt in RI. He there was i would have heard it. i've been reading about the mystery boom. they are all across the US!

So many of these booms and shakes going on. Some may be related to earthquakes, but there are so many that aren't. As I've been told on here, there is nothing alarming about it, it's always happened and we're just getting better reporting because of the internet. I highly doubt it. Something is going on, but what?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
FB is lit up here...there was a mystery boom heard all over southern illinois at approx 2:00pm today...nobody knows what happen. I was inside my car at the time so I cannot confirm...but my husband said it shook our house..which is the same thing others are reporting around an hour radius of us. I have no clue???

Anyone else in southern Illinois know what it was?

Edit..here are the post if anyone is interested..

edit on 16-3-2013 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Is the egg shell cracking? Is it time for the earth to hatch already?

I don't see a quake on the USGS site for that area.

My bad, I found it now but the 14 date threw me off. Forgot it needed to be converted to EST
edit on 16-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Dear Rezlooper,

You are right to question this nonsense. I have spent almost 50 years in Southern California, I have experienced numerous earthquakes at ground zero and they don't make a boom. You don't even feel quakes that are under 4 unless you are incredibly sensitive. It sounds more like you are hearing sonic booms. Perhaps the air force is flying something in that area. They have attempted to blame these booms on quakes as small as 1.5 on the Richter scale and it is complete and utter nonsense.

I have lost all respect for the mainstream media, they will repeat any foolishness they hear from an "expert". When we see mass die offs of fish, they have taken to saying it is caused by a lack of oxygen in the water "possibly"; but, they never come back and say that tests proved it and they never explain why it is always one species of fish, shouldn't they all die if there is no oxygen in the water.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I don't know about that...when we have had bigger EQ here in southern illinois there were BOOMS before. The last one sounded like a big bang of thunder and then the ground started shaking. We had one on April 18, 2008..and same thing..it felt like a snap with a boom and then the ground shook.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

The rock could be a factor for booming sounds, on the eastern side of the US the smallest quakes can be felt, where as in CA it's a bit different.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Cloaked Goa'uld motherships checking us out being chased by cloaked TR3's again.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There are lots of quakes, all the time and all over the U.S.

Recent U.S. Quakes

This is a slightly different list and display than the standard USGS list. I like it for a quick no B.S. snapshot. Anyway, you'd think if these big booms were quake related, the phenomenon of booms and minor quakes would be a common knowledge issue we'd pretty much all have experienced. After all, the little ones are happening all over, all the time.

Must be something up with the Air Force or another agency flying something like others mentioned?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

The rock could be a factor for booming sounds, on the eastern side of the US the smallest quakes can be felt, where as in CA it's a bit different.

Dear bkaust,

No. Show me the science, show me where this has been proven and then show me where it has proven for something as small as a 1.5 quake. Here is the difference between the east and west coast, quakes are felt over a larger area on the east; but, that does not mean they are any stronger and 1.5 is nothing, it doesn't make a boom and you wouldn't even notice walking down the street. The Richter scale does not change based on the type of soil.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I really wish I would hear one of these mystery booms. Sounds like an exciting event. maybe I can never hear these things because my surround sound is blasting 24/7 and the subwoofer drowns out anything outside.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

I don't know about that...when we have had bigger EQ here in southern illinois there were BOOMS before. The last one sounded like a big bang of thunder and then the ground started shaking. We had one on April 18, 2008..and same thing..it felt like a snap with a boom and then the ground shook.

Dear Neopan100,

No, you heard buildings make noise, not the earth. Oh, I should also mention that I lived on the east coast too.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dear Wrabbit2000,

Thank you. It is utter nonsense for people to blame these booms on quakes. I used to live near Edwards Air Force base and I know what a sonic boom sounds and feels like, it is where the space shuttle used to land. What these people are describing sounds a lot like a sonic boom and nothing like a quake.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Dear Neopan1000,

Thanks for posting the FB stuff from people there. One of them said it was a 2.7 earthquake; but, that will not shake your house, it is way to small. Another said that they heard it and felt no shaking, that again shows that it was a sonic boom.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

FB is lit up here...there was a mystery boom heard all over southern illinois at approx 2:00pm today...nobody knows what happen. I was inside my car at the time so I cannot confirm...but my husband said it shook our house..which is the same thing others are reporting around an hour radius of us. I have no clue???

Anyone else in southern Illinois know what it was?

Early this week you guys had another quake down there. Here is a thread I wrote a few days ago about the New Madrid waking up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It wasn't an EQ. The 2.7 was from last week, NOT today. The lady is confused and if you read the comments someone corrects her. BTW 2.7 does a quite a bit of shaking around here. The 3 pointer we had cracked our foundation...and the 5'ver we had in 2008 was felt in lower canada and as far south as Jacksonville, Florida. Our quakes are VERY different than the ones in California. We feel every little jiggle. We had buildings crumble in Olney..which is where the 3. happened.

If you would like confirmation of these events I will try to go through our local paper online to find the info.

The big New Madrid quake had the bells in Boston ringing...so don't underestimate the midwest quakes

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Dear Neopan100,

I do not underestimate the New Madrid fault, because of the soil out east, if it hits it will be devestating and the buildings are not properly constructed or earthquake retrofitted. Having said that, the Richter scale measures movement and it is the same in the east coast as the west coast. There was a Richter scale at Griffith Park in Los Angeles, I saw it and it what it did. It measures movement and a 1 is a 1 in the east coast and a 2 is a 2 in the east cost. Too much movement for a quake of that size means that it was not a quake. It was a sonic boom.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

are you saying the 2.7 was not an earthquake?....or are you talking about the boom today? I don't know what happened today..I didn't feel a thing but I was in my car at that time..so I cannot accurately describe it other than what I read on FB. But the other EQ we have had I definitely felt.

BTW we all felt the 2.7...it came on like thunder rolling through and then it was over. It just a slow deep vibration with the sound of thunder..actually, I thought it was thunder because we were expecting storms that night..but low and behold it was an EQ. People all over s. illinois felt that one. It was reported on the radio about an hour later..confirming EQ

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Speaking of sonic booms and such...

Has anyone noticed an increased noise level in some of the jets, or whatever it is, in the skies? On several occasions, within recent months, I have heard, what sounds like, amplified jets sounds. They sound nearly identical to the normal swoosh sounds, only they are much louder and much longer. Have they started flying lower, because of so much traffic?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

are you saying the 2.7 was not an earthquake?....or are you talking about the boom today? I don't know what happened today..I didn't feel a thing but I was in my car at that time..so I cannot accurately describe it other than what I read on FB. But the other EQ we have had I definitely felt.

BTW we all felt the 2.7...it came on like thunder rolling through and then it was over. It just a slow deep vibration with the sound of thunder..actually, I thought it was thunder because we were expecting storms that night..but low and behold it was an EQ. People all over s. illinois felt that one. It was reported on the radio about an hour later..confirming EQ

Dear Neopan,

No, I am saying there was an earthquake; but, it did not account for the noise and the quake was too small to have been noticed by people.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i have a question for those that have experienced those "booms, and shakes". did your pets act strange or freak out before hand? i understand this behavior from pets happens before earthquakes normally, it could be an indicate if was a quake or possibly even a "natural quake". personally i have never been in a position to see pets act out before a quake, but it's what people have always said happens, for some reason animals seem to know it is about to happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join