It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it illegal for me to torture and behead a dog

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It really is perception. As a Wiccan

Very true.
During the Inquisition, it was morally acceptable to torture and burn 'you people' !

Very true...and that was far from the worst period of it for us. Ignorant perceptions can be a fatal thing when carried too far for action, eh? I'm glad we live in such an advanced world now where such a thing just couldn't happen. (right? couldn't happen...
)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If one understands that individuality is a sort of subjective illusion created by a central nervous system (the universe is one vast entity in constant motion/change, it is only from self-awareness that portions of that one entity can even begin to contemplate the notion of separateness) then discussions like this become slightly easier to engage.

So without an organic matrix specifically designed to generate self-awareness - like all non-animal life on Earth - the notion of individuality need not enter the equation. Even insects can exhibit extraordinary intelligence - just look at excavated ant tunnels. As individuals they are quite mindless, but with a full colony, a sort of hive-intelligence takes over. But all notions of "plant intelligence" is a sort of misnomer for mechanisms totally understood by organic chemistry. Neuron-based intelligence is an entirely different beast.

Of course it's a hypocritical situation we have, currently - there's no question of that. Cows, pigs, chickens, etc. are routinely tortured to death in factory farms, yet meanwhile there are people sitting in prison, after being found guilty in a US Criminal Court for "cruelty to animals". Or people protesting the Japanese whaling industry for their exploitation of sea creatures, meanwhile the protesters routinely consume land creatures who were similarly exploited, if not under far worse conditions. It's sickening.

We're surrounded by it - almost everyone participates in some form of animal exploitation, directly or indirectly, whether they know it or not. Maybe just by the consumer products they routinely use - perhaps they were tested extensively on lab animals who, like factory farm 'livestock', are cruelly exploited to death, just so aging people can reduce the wrinkles around their eyes.

In this modern day and age, there shouldn't be any reason to exploit animals, even for food. We just don't need it. And they don't need to suffer. We are smart enough to not be so destructive to the life around us. We need to grow up as a species.
edit on 16-3-2013 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
eyes

if a critter has big soul full eyes, it is protected

if not......

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
don't know if it's illegal, but it wouldn't be nice.

it's odd, but i can (and have) seen countless videos of terrorist atrocities, beheadings, self-immolations, war crimes, machete attacks, police beatings/shootings, bomb aftermaths, fatal car wrecks/plane crashes etc. i find those grimly fascinating but i can't watch videos which feature cruelty to animals, or even natural instances of animal suffering (wildlife shows when lions attack a gazelle etc). i am not really emotionally affected by a video of a human dying, but a similar film of the death of an animal upsets me greatly, and is something i really can't watch.

but i wouldn't consider myself a complete misanthrope. maybe 70%, but not totally.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I happen to think atomic particles are delicious.

No way im going to stop killing and eating them, not for you or for anyone.

I hope you understand that someone somewhere feels exactly the same about dogs...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Normally i don't "waste my energy" with threads that are for what i can only perceive and describe as "silly"
Does anyone including the OP seriously not know the answer to this question without trying to "siphon" attention to themselves?
Personally i am disgusted, but then i am also happy for people to get to have a good hard look at themselves. So continue on if you wish as there is only "evolution of the mind" to be achieved.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarck

If they didn't have some type of nervous system,they wouldn't be able to control they're own bodies to move.
I'm pretty sure anything alive can feel pain.Even in studies on plants they found that plants call out to each other for help when being cut.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Some lifeforms are here as pray, some predators, and millions of different reasons to be here. May Flies are apparently only existent for food. Dogs on the other hand I feel are very intelligent and human like. They are mans best friend, and any pet, should be treated as another human in your family.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
It depends where you come from. People from different cultures have different perspectives about animals. In western society, it's long been a theory that children who abuse animals and torture insects are more likely to become serial killers when they grow up. Yet we raise livestock in pretty poor conditions. Some might call that torture. Cows, chickens, turkeys, pigs and lamb all raised for the slaughter. Some are treated better than others. But they all end up being killed.

Animal cruelty is a normal occurrence in industries like the fur trade and commercial meat farming. Animals are raised in horrible conditions and treated in despicable ways. Some are force fed or injected with drugs. Kept in small filthy pens full of feces. We like to think that they are raised like pets and killed in humane ways. People are shocked when they see video from these places.

In other countries it gets even worse though. Animals are brutally tortured before they meet their demise. It's truly disturbing to witness the treatment that some of these poor animals have to endure. What's worse is that they are not being killed for their meat. They are killed for their fur and the body is tossed aside like trash. In the videos below you will see what happens to animals involved in the fur trade in China. Dogs, cats and other animals are literally skinned alive.

Caution graphic footage of animal cruelty

Olivia Munn Exposes Never-Before-Seen Footage on Chinese Fur Farms

Animals on fur farms spend their entire lives confined to cramped, filthy wire cages. Fur farmers use the cheapest and cruelest killing methods available, including suffocation, electrocution, gassing, and poisoning.

Asia's Trade In Dog & Cat Furs

Animals are Skinned Alive on Chinese Fur Farms

edit on 17-3-2013 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2013 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It's actually funny to see this thread...because I was thinking this same thing yesterday.......I had a very big spider in my bedroom and as I always try and do, I catch them and put them outside...well he was a big scarey boy...but finally caught him and put him out in the yard....and even though I can't say I "liked" him...I was happy to see him go free.....

Now ants give me a total moral dilemna.......I would never go out of my way to bother them in nature....but if they invade my house it's basically impossible to relocate them...the idea of "mass" murdering a bunch of ants upsets me....thankfully this house doesn't have ant problems....but my last house did...no matter how clean you kept the kitchen.....I would be like "dammit dudes, I don't want to kill you, but you can't live here".....

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
opps
edit on 17-3-2013 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Yikes...I can't watch those.....killing ants makes me sad....
But I get your points.....

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
humans in non dog eating countries sometimes eat chocolate covered ants. the act of torturing, or on another level vivisetion is labor intensive, there is much suffering, screams, blood, intestines everywhere, so ants are equal to dogs. okay the dali lama doesn't like killing bugs, yay, so maybe in the extreme negative of this someone somewhere is justifying murdering dogs because we think not about insects that we kill. the bias is against the dog in this argument. come back to reality, don't turn yourself into another ted bundy, that in itself is a slippery slope for if people are equal to ants then why not crush their skulls in or use a giant magnifying glass on them?

"I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe."
francis dollarhyde

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It really is perception. As a Wiccan

Very true.
During the Inquisition, it was morally acceptable to torture and burn 'you people' !

Very true...and that was far from the worst period of it for us. Ignorant perceptions can be a fatal thing when carried too far for action, eh? I'm glad we live in such an advanced world now where such a thing just couldn't happen.
(right? couldn't happen...
)

They have recently executed people in Iran on charges of witchcraft.
Recently, as in the past few months.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I think from a practical standpoint it is logical. If dogs were as numerous as ants, could enter your home freely and feed off your leftovers, generally be a mess to clean up and so forth, then I wouldn't be surprised if the wholesale slaughter of dogs would be allowed.

In addition, over the centuries man has built a close companionship with pets, especially dogs, which he has not reproduced with insects, especially ants.

It may seem random, and that is because it is. Just another strange but logical tenet of human behavior. Myself, I wouldn't hurt a dog unless necessary, but I can't say I wouldn't destroy an ant colony if they were bugging me. Pun intended.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Why is it illegal for me to torture and behead a dog, but not go on a rampage and kill a hundred million ants?

I'm going to answer without reading the rest of the thread. The more like us an animal is, the more empathy we feel for it – up to a point. When it starts getting so much like us it becomes a competitor for resources (like a pig) or starts to look so anthropomorphic it looks like a threatening human (like a chimp or gorilla) we don't like it so much any more.

Dogs, of course, have evolved/been bred to push humans' sympathy buttons, so we love them most of all.

Oh, and a star from me for finding a meaningful way to use that idiotic obligatory (and unnecessary) comma that appears willy-nilly in every thread title.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Buddhist Monks as an example will not kill any life form.

Ha!

September 26th 1959 is an important date in the post-independence history of Sri Lanka. It was on this day fifty years ago that the Prime Minister Solomon West Ridgeway Dias Bandaranaike (SWRDB) of the then Ceylon passed away. He had been shot the previous day by a Buddhist priest. Source

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I wouldn't have a problem with ants if they would stay the heck out of my house come early spring! Talk about house invasions, these pests bring it on themselves. That also goes for spiders and millipedes! I respect their outdoor nests, don't invade mine!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Do you feel bad for protons and electrons?

I feel bad for whomever decides that torturing electrons and protons is an excellent expenditure of time and resources. Clearly, such a person qualifies for special needs services and should not be treated as a criminal for their psychological condition.

...But if such an event arises, I will be too busy bloodying my face against an unyielding surface to contemplate the developments that drove me to such extreme measures of self-imposed amnesia.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Dogs have never tried invading my home.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join