It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it illegal for me to torture and behead a dog

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarck
but not go on a rampage and kill a hundred million ants?

The folks in this society care about dogs and don't care about ants. It's not a philosophical conundrum. The difference between legal and illegal is what the majority within a given society have collectively agreed on that difference to be. Some societies allow for the killing of women in specific circumstances (honor killings), but that doesn't make it acceptable in other societies. Ants - being as small and as numerous as they are - will never be valued across a broad enough swath of any given human society to ever force their wholesale butchery to become a criminal offense. The same can be said about beetles, flies, mosquitoes, rats, crickets, grasshoppers, blades of grass, and plenty more living things that could use much better representation within local, state and federal legislative bodies.

Perhaps you've found your life's calling?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Aleister

Well I don'T know, some seem to suggest that they don't. So do insect feel pain or not? I guess a nervous system is required to feel pain but I know nothing of insect anatomy.

edit on 16-3-2013 by bismarck because: (no reason given)

They have a very well developed nervous system. The argument is that they don't have emotional response, so they have nothing to feel pain with. Ha! And that some of them will continue to mate even as their organs are crushed. Hell, I would continue to mate too. Killing ants for fun is weird if you are an adult, and I've seen people do it. Insects, I call on you to rise up! Hello? Are any of you listening? /insects continue to eat and mate/ Hello? /sound of crickets chirping/

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

But insects don't feel pain. They aren't made physically to feel pain. Some of them don't even have brains.

If you don't have the physiology that enables you to feel pain, you won't feel pain. Anybody who has studied insects knows that, even if a bug is half crushed, will still go on and eat food like nothing is wrong. Now, they probably have a survival instinct, as all living things do. But pain is a different subject entirely.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Because the society you live in is not enlightened.

Buddhist Monks as an example will not kill any life form. They have the view that all forms of life are equally important.

Society makes the laws via a perceived consensus of society as a whole.

P

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

The Jain's have an odd habit. They have someone sweep the walk ahead of them so the little guys are swept away and they won't walk on them. But they still have people do that, which I've always thought was kind of mean because sweeping up a pile of ants has to cause hundreds of broken legs and antenni and other insect atrocities.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Remembered that video. Thought it was pertinent to what you said.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
did you really mean torture?

because i dont think any life should be tortured in any way ever - it serve no purpose other than sick entertainment and pain.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

but not go on a rampage and kill a hundred million ants? Not that I care much about ants, and I would never hurt a dog, but why is one state of life more precious than an other? Of course we are going to fall in the companion vs pest form of life but my question to you is : do all form of life equals another? Is my life as a reasoning self conscious human being more important than the life of an ant? I believe so, but that is from my perspective, If I was an ant I sure would not give a damn about any human being.

Because Ants bite us for no good reason and its about impossible to live with them let alone not cause a mass murder of them just by walking. Some creatures are put here just to keep a healthy balance on earth for us Humans to live. Dogs are given to us by God to keep watch over us and make us happy when we are not.

House Kats are just plain Evil. They are easily possessed by the evil spirits for now.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

The great and powerful internet says all insects have brains:

insects.about.com...

So if they all have brains, and all have nervous systems, maybe they are the kind of animal that won't react to pain in order to not show weakness or they will be attacked by their companions. So they keep eating and mating. But haven't you ever seen an insect in what appears for all the world to be in pain?: Worms wriggling in "agony" or an approximation of agony (good acting on their part), or bees in total distress when they are dying from lack of food? There are hundreds of examples. I come down squarely on the "insects feel pain" side. If you were wrong about all of them having brains, then maybe....

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
For the same reason that it is illegal for me to torture and behead YOU... they are both immoral acts

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
ants have taken over humanity once before. dogs have not

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Because the society you live in is not enlightened.

Buddhist Monks as an example will not kill any life form. They have the view that all forms of life are equally important.

Society makes the laws via a perceived consensus of society as a whole.

P

Indeed. It really is perception. As a Wiccan, I'm generally referred to as Pagan as an umbrella term. While in Job Corps early in life, I got to know Pagans of other belief systems. Some that people here probably wouldn't believe exist, actually. Anyway. At least two of those people would get mad and I mean REALLY, sincerely pissed off if you pulled grass or snapped branches or anything that harmed life of any kind. Ghia and the Living Earth wasn't theory or Faith...it was simply fact to them

It takes a bit of everything to make the world go around eh?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My dog is aware of me and reacts and lives in accordance with the constraints and opportunities in my home. My dog is intelligent, but in an animal way. People who think animals are somehow brainy and have consciousness like us humans are living on another planet.

Insects are not aware of me, nor do they sit by my fire and fart. Ants are not dogs. That said, I would not purposefully kill ants, or any insect for that matter. Cruelty is cruelty regardless of the animal and whether they “feel” pain.

Regards

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
For the same reason that it is illegal for me to torture and behead YOU... they are both immoral acts
It's not immoral when they behead people in Saudi Arabia.
Just saying.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

What if your dog was an Irish setter? That breed is next to brain dead.
That would be different, no?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komonazmuk
reply to post by bismarck

Yet they exist and make up everything and make up things you call alive.

They also make up things that aren't alive. Like your computer. Particles do not feel pain, nor are particles conscious of anything.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It really is perception. As a Wiccan

Very true.
During the Inquisition, it was morally acceptable to torture and burn 'you people' !

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
reply to post by bismarck

Well, from a biological position, ants are insects and don't have the physiology that allows them to feel pain. Dogs do. But in my opinion, killing life is killing life period, and not something we should take lightly.

Not saying this is correct, it's just what I have observed. When I sit outside and an ant gets near my shoe I stomp the ground next to it and the ant runs away to safety (okay, some of them don't stupid buggers). But, those that do run away, why would they do that if they didn't feel fear? And, if they feel fear, why not pain?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Killing a dog is not illegal. If you hit a dog with a car you are not going to jail. The torture and beheading it is the action of some mental problems that make make you a risk to society. If you torture and behead a pig the red flag goes up and they might take you away. If you kill a endangered animal that is illegal.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
As said a few times it depends where you are.
I'm in the U.K. and used to keep reptiles,they fed on mice,
however i wasn't allowed to feed them live mice,even though
my water dragon was a very efficient killer of mice.

it fell into a vertabrate v's non vertabrate thing in this instance
was fine to feed crickets live but not mice.

Your question reminds me of the goat killing in devils advocate,
if you can find a legal presidence for your act,you can pretty much
do what you want

Oh and a dog is a licensed animal

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join