It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herb Stuffed Pork Roast with Gravy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am not a big pork fan to be honest but since being pregnant I've eaten a lot of meats I normally wouldn't. I have made pork roasts in the past but it's not something I buy on a regular. Well like most things I make they start out with a new baking dish I find at the thrift store.
I got a very nice vintage amber glass Anchor Hocking casserole dish with lid and I wanted to make something in it. I found a roast on sale at the grocery store, Hormel Pork Roast, and decided to make that in it. Buying a new cooking item is like buying a new piece of clothing for many. I just have to use it right away.

The roast I got is one of those Hormel Pork Roasts, they are about 1.5lbs. I did cut fat off the outside. I do not like fat and yes I know to some it is required for taste, but for me it's repulsive to bite into a piece of fat. It's the one thing that turns my stomach! I think I paid about $5 for the roast. You can of course use any pork roast you find. I served it with asparagus and red potatoes that I cooked with the roast.

Mblah's Herb Stuffed Pork Roast w/ Gravy

Ingredients
1 1/5-2lb Pork Roast
6 small red potatoes (quartered but not cooked)
1 1/4 cup baby bella mushrooms
1 1/2 tbs fresh Thyme plus extra sprigs on the side
1 1/2 tbs fresh Rosemary plus extra sprigs on the side
1 tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
Pepper
Flour

Directions
1. Butterfly the roast (cut it like you would a sub roll)
2. Mix the rosemary, thyme and evoo then mix into a paste. I used a mortar and pestle.
3. Fill inside of roast with about 3/4 of herb mixture then rub the remaining on the outside of the roast
4. Pour the white wine and chicken broth into a 2QT casserole dish with a lid. If you dont' have a lid use foil.
5. Put the potatoes and mushrooms all around the outside of the roast so they sit in the liquid. Sprinkle roast with pepper. Take one sprig of thyme and sprinkle on the roast then take a few rosemary leaves and break them up or cut them and sprinkle on the roast. Bake at 350F covered for 60mins. Take foil off and bake 15-20 additional mins. Time depends on size of roast. It is best to use a meat thermometer to check the temp. For pork it's about 165F internally.

6. Take the roast out and cover and put aside. Take the potatoes out and set aside and cover as well to keep warm. Now take the liquid in the casserole dish along with the mushrooms and pour into a small sauce pan. Sift in about 1-2 tbs of flour and whisk on med heat til sauce thickens. Serve over roast, can also be used on potatoes.

Dinner for one and a half

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I need a lifebelt. I just filled my front room with drool. The laptop is floating on the coffee table. Call the coastguard? Anyone?

Looks great !

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Mmmmm...mmmm....mmm....you've outdone yourself again
As ironic as this may sound...I'm cooking pencil asparagus(with chardonnay & butter), garlic smashed potatoes and a couple of steaks on the grill for my son and I.

Your recipes are so marvelous...I love them and please, keep sharing.

That looks great

ETA
Congrats on your pregnancy

edit on 3/14/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm....I love a good pork roast....but no garlic!!?!!??!!?
I almost cannot imagine pork without it.....

I can't wait to try this one........

and I take it this is a pork loin roast??

Thanks for another great recipe

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Mmmmm...mmmm....mmm....you've outdone yourself again
As ironic as this may sound...I'm cooking pencil asparagus(with chardonnay & butter), garlic smashed potatoes and a couple of steaks on the grill for my son and I.

Why thank you
What you are making sounds just as good! I'd probably go for steak over a pork roast!

Your recipes are so marvelous...I love them and please, keep sharing.

Thank you
I love sharing my recipes on here! If I make something my fiancee is always laughing at how I'm taking pics throughout cooking and even of the plated food. He now jokes and says "oh that must be a thread" lol.

ETA
Congrats on your pregnancy

edit on 3/14/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

Thank you!! Yea I am also in the process of doing the baby's room. I have it painted and most of the main furniture is in there. I am making all the decor that goes on the walls and the decals. When I am finished I"m going to make a thread on making a nursery on a budget lol

I saw your response last night but couldn't respond at the time and I remember you saying something about my plates and the red. I just wanted to say thank you
My fiancee got them for me for Valentines Day. I wanted plates with red and I looked all over for a plate set. I found them at Macy's of all places and they were on sale so that was nice. I had been looking for plates for over a year and knew what kind I wanted lol These were exactly what i was looking for, although I wanted square plates but these turned out better. They are actually too big for my kitchen cabinets so I have to angle them in there to fit lol

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm....I love a good pork roast....but no garlic!!?!!??!!?
I almost cannot imagine pork without it.....

LOL funny thing is I put garlic in almost everything I cook but with this I decided to leave it out. I almost added it to the thyme and rosemary mix but decided to try it without. I'm trying to make things I don't normally make and pork is something I don't usually mess with. I have never really been a pork fan. I like the roasts though if they are cooked right but I don't really go out of my way for pork. I do like to get the big fat boneless ones and stuff them with anything from stuffing to spinach and cheese. Stuffed pork chops are good!

I can't wait to try this one........

Let me know how it turns out!

and I take it this is a pork loin roast??

Thanks for another great recipe

It just said pork roast on the package. I have bought these log shaped roasts that say "pork loin roast" but this didn't. It was like a big hunk of beef and not the same shape as the one that is like a log. Sorry for my lousy description lol but I am not familiar with the various pork cuts. I had to ask the meat guy to give me lessons on steaks because I kept getting ones that were too fatty! He said this pork roast would be better than the loins I had been purchasing previously. I am usually a chicken or fish person so pork and steak are new to me! Since being pregnant I want things that I normally dont eat and things I thought I'd crave I dont really care for. Funny how pregnancy changes your taste during that time, well I know it's changed mine!

Thank you and you are welcome

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
MB looks good .... I'll have to try it....
I could do without the garlic but I wold put some onions or spring onions with it .... if you haven't

making some old fashion chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites .... quick, easy with drop dumplings made of biscuit dough..... some chopped celery

working on foreclosed homes I love finding cookbooks ... and especially the ones from local churches and such sold as fund raisers ....

Thank You

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Looks great. I would personally not get any "branded" meat that is pre-packaged as they usually contain sodium nitrate (long term salt) or sodium nitrite (short term preserving salt, also for keeping color.) Buy direct from a butcher if possible.

If you leave the fat on the roast in a place on the meat that will stay in a hot part of the oven, use the maillard process on that fat so the outside turns into a pork rind, nice and browned. Or, render the fat in a saucepan and then add the drippings from the roast into that for a sauce. Animal fat is a healthy fat, much more than any machine processed food fats or fast food fats.

As for beef having fat, a grass fed free range cow doubtfully has much fat, and if it does it's usually around the rear end of the cow in a gelatinous form. This makes sense to me because there is not much fat (or common table salt) in nature for these cows to get fat from - like grass. Corn fed cows are a whole different and unnatural story, unless a cow jumps the fence of your garden and eats your corn, as in my case

Good looking food though!!! I'm glad to see people still cooking =)

new topics

top topics

join