It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Word About Trolls.....Keep Calling Them Out.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The moment we start suspecting that people are disinfo agents, paid trolls... whatever, is the moment that our paranoia gets the better of us and those who may wish to create divisions and/or distractions, win the game.

The moment we initiate our own witch hunts based on what we think we know of complete strangers, is the moment that sites like ATS and others, become useless.

I've been on the web since 1997 and have seen how simply disagreeing with a popular assumption or theory, can create a mob mentality.

I don't doubt for one minute that the corporate-government hegemony doesn't have people paid to do this kind of thing. But when we start turning against our own because of what we fear... or seeing people NOT speak out of fear of being labels as one of these types, we really do give away the farm.

Just my dime.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by clairvoyantrose

Originally posted by superman2012

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by superman2012

reply to post by clairvoyantrose

Hey superman. Can you hook a brother up? I can push any agenda if the $ is right

Done...I just don't know who to contact in Rural Saskatchewan....I'll have to get back to you.

Hey Neighbor! Dirty 'Berta here.

I know Susan, I see you at the office every mornin....errr...nm...no paid trolls here!
Move along please.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by clairvoyantrose

One of the biggest things I've noticed about Chemtrail Troll's or "Dis-Informants" Is they will ALWAYS try to push their knowledge or their job knowledge on you.

So those who use scientific fact for evidence are trolls because they are using something you cannot except?

Who would have guessed that using science makes you a troll or dis informant...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Turning to the paid poster / disinfo accusation is weak sauce. It's nothing more than a broad brush marginalization ploy that, in my opinion, usually serves as a substitute for a valid argument.

Are there trolls on ATS? Of course we get our share. This is the Internet. As a community I think that we happen to do an unfathomably good job of getting rid of them. For a site this size, for example, we really don't get too many spammers. I think this is because the average spammer only gets a few posts in before they are alerted by membership and dealt with by staff. Folks who show up only to cause problems usually last a bit longer - but end up just as banned before too long.

However, given the broad variety of topics here, and the fact that we are all human - I put forth that any of us who are active posters end up trolling to one degree or another. We all get emotional sometimes and end up posting in a tone that we normally wouldn't want to post with. It just goes along with the nature of how a discussion board works. We all have off moments.

All evidence suggests that there are paid posters online. We tend to focus upon just the DoD, NSA, and FBI types. But the truth is that it is fair to assume every vested interest probably has their paid advertisers doing what they would term "viral marketing". An off hand example? Maybe a large producer of processed sugar pays a few folks to visit message boards with the message that the risk of diabetes is not as bad as the CDC and AMA would have us believe. The NRA might well have a few employees who post hyperbolic posts any time gun laws are being discussed. The SPCA might keep a few folks on tap to post videos of animals being abused.

It is totally reasonable to assume that this is not only possible - but that it is probable.

Here's the catch; How would a regular person who happens to love sugar, guns, or animals appear to be any different than an agenda based paid poster? I offer that they would appear no different. Their arguments and data would likely come from the same sources as the paid poster would use. Thus it is a moot point to worry if the person is paid or not - as there is no way to prove or disprove another persons motives. So the only real way of coping is to proceed as if everyone is just an individual with a legitimate and respect-worthy, passionate feeling about a subject.

Which takes us back to where I started... Turning to the paid poster / disinfo accusation is weak sauce.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
*ssshhhh* heff, you're messing with my gig

That being said I've trolled and I do use sarcasm and humor against posts and claims. I do it because when I get the posters emotionally invested they're more likely to learn from their feelings. I've been slapped by mods because of my "style" but so far I haven't gotten any $ from it. Let's hope supermans contact will finally pay me what I deserve

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i've no doubt trolls exist, certainly in the sense of people whose only thrill is to trawl forums and cause as much annoyance as possible. there are probably 'pro' trolls too, paid for their efforts by 'them'. though i expect those to be a small minority (but real nonetheless). generally, though....

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Ha Ha very funny, just look at my posts and you'll see that I'm not a paid shrill or troll. Your comments; "We this We that". Are you stuck in a primary school mentality? Good luck with that, I'm so glad you people are losing your grip.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

That's a fair point, and yes it would be good not to fall into the trap of becoming closed off.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Well no of course not, there is a difference between a flat disagreement and cows poo

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cyoshi

I think a lot of people on here are getting ripped off for their services then because some are paid diddly squat!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
i have said time and time again,
once you spot them

Don't Feed The Trolls

ETA: that was one of the reason why i liked the ignore button that ATS use to have. when you found trolls you could ignore their posts and reading threads or participate in them in peace.
edit on 9-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

I truly miss the ignore button as well....

My governor is not a good governor sometimes... If I could just ignore, I would never be tempted...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

OK good points, it was the 1st time I'd come across the idea. I think if some one was paid to post or comment what they do not believe in then cracks may show in their posts.....yes it is a tricky subject and feelings do run high.....

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This thread is focusing mainly on people who disagree with someones OP. Don't forget that these paid shills are just as likely to start their own threads and then call anyone who disagrees with them a troll.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
This thread is focusing mainly on people who disagree with someones OP. Don't forget that these paid shills are just as likely to start their own threads and then call anyone who disagrees with them a troll.

You mean a double-bluff?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

You mean a double-bluff?

Exactly

Would be a good strategy for a shill. Instead of arguing with other peoples posts they could just send out a statement telling everyone to stand up against trolls like the one in the OP and then start a bunch of their own threads to take advantage of the ground work they had just put in. This would make it much easier for them to fend off anyone who disagrees with what they say.

They could join up to a site and after a relatively short amount of time (not right away because it would risk people wondering) , say 50-100 posts and then warn everyone about shills and trolls. They could make up a story about a warning going around the internet that outlines things that 'shills' or 'paid trolls' might say or do. Post it in a thread like this one. Then start a bunch of threads to meet their objectives.

Real psy-ops are always a few steps ahead of the average thinker

edit on 9-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Someone who spreads disinformation, whatever their motivation may be, is the enemy of true knowledge.

Stay the course when dealing with those who do not deny ignorance, but encourage it. Remember this and try to make it plain to see that people spreading disinformation are your greatest rivals.

edit on 9-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So are we just looking for people who agree all the time, or is actual discussion (including disagreement) still allowed?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Someone who spreads disinformation, whatever their motivation may be, is the enemy of true knowledge.

Stay the course when dealing with those who do not deny ignorance, but encourage it. Remember this and try to make it plain to see that people spreading disinformation are your greatest rivals.

We're not trying to make enemies here. Division is not our game. We're not looking to draw a line or paint everything in black and white. 70% of the time, it's pure speculation and suspicion anyway, not a whole lot of real "knowledge".

So let's not treat this like a war.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So are we just looking for people who agree all the time, or is actual discussion (including disagreement) still allowed?

Im not saying we are looking for anyone. I encourage discussion. But im saying people who rage on about 'paid shill's' or trolls are just as likely to be the real shills as the people they are pretending to be complaining about.

There's a well know phrase..a wolf in a sheep's clothing

edit on 9-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I agree, yet, maybe what I wrote is not necessarily my message. I'll leave that for everyone else to determine.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join