It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is common sense & humour now forbidden too???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirtybird
clearly the person who suspended the kid never watched looney tunes as a kid, wiley coyote making bombs to blow up roadrunner, setting various decoys and traps, with guns, explosives, devices designed to maim. its really sad that you make a hand gesture of a gun in public and can be punished, yet all that is on t.v. is people shooting eachother and action movies with many weapons killing people and blood and gore and bombs. what the hell happened to society? they force this vilent crap down our throats via tv and movies yet if you have an airsoft gun in your back yard, the effing swat team shows up... merica is now the land of the paranoid and home of the criminal (guilty until proven innocent is the motto)

I LOVED looney tunes as a kid (still do!!) and they had Yosemite Sam firing his guns and yelling "Say your prayers, rabbit!"

Don't own guns, never been in jail, etc..I turned out just fine. My common sense told me cartoons aren't real. (not bashing gun owners, just to clarify)
edit on 9-3-2013 by texasgirl because: Clarified statement

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Political correctness has ruined any sense of humour in our society today.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

sam was legit, same with marvin the martian, always fragging everything with his laser guns and shrink rays and such. what happened to society, also the show macgyver showed you how to build pipe bombs and stuff. no filter nothing all the real ingredients and processes, that was my favorite show, im surprised it hasnt been banned yet.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

Oh they can tell the difference, of course they can they aren't stupid..well supposedly. Its just that over sensitivity and jobsworthiness and fear of litigation are now paramount in people's minds.

The problem of course with the pastry story is that the child is now probably more traumatised by the suspension and the fuss than if it was simply ignored, and his chums who he was pointing the pastry at are probably the same. They will have laughed and joked and fired back then the do good teacher will have made a big issue out of it and made the kids feel totally ashamed and confused and then in steps the therapists!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The therapy will only serve to brainwash them even further. The thought agitates me and makes me scared for these kids.
I'm curious as to what they will be like when they're adults. Whoever is leading this anti-gun agenda is probably aiming to create an army of civilian thought police, or a population of placid weapon-condemning peasants. Or both.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by phyllida

Is common sense & humour now forbidden too?

Oh yes, most certainly.

Last fall, there was this story here (local to me) of a college student who got locked out of their car. They called the cops to see if they still carried a means to help citizens get back into their vehicles when this happens. The police came and told them that if they (the owner) tried to break in, they'd have to be arrested. The cops said that they needed proof the car was theirs first. The owner responded that the tag receipt and copy of title was in the glove box, INSIDE the car!

The cops left and the owner called a locksmith whom they paid $120 to get into the car for them. The police were (evidently) watching and when the door opened, they came and arrested the owner on the spot. The locksmith was allowed to leave unmolested. The car was towed with a $90 impound fee. In court, the owner was found guilty of unlawful entry into a vehicle and fined $455.

Last I heard, the owner had appealed and was ready to take this as far as needed. But here is a good case of common sense being crapped-on for the sake of... in my opinion, using the law to first, create a file (w/fingerprints) on a law abiding citizen and second, as a source of revenue for the city.

edit on 9-3-2013 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In addition to my last comment to this thread: On the subject of humor (or humour, elsewhere, lol)

Back in the 1970s, Mel Brooks made a movie called 'Blazing Saddles' with Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder. In this flick, a black sheriff is sent to a small town out west during the bad old days. Here, we see them make fun of race, racism, the KKK, nazis, prostitution, interracial sex, old ladies, old men, gays, government and big industry (railroads).

Today, that movie could NOT be made. Not a chance.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

And it was taken as it was meant....as humour! I don't recall anyone kicking up a fuss about it at the time although they would now of course.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Quite a thread OP, you called it the way it looks these days. It seems as though people have been severely dumbed down, and are now also hyper sensitive. Calling all super heros to join my fight. If you possess the super powers common sense, and or a sense of humor, join me in combating dumbassery all around this country.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Why thank you

I speak my mind I'm an aging old eccentric and don't stand for nonsense but this trend is worrying to say the least.

Is it a case I wonder that people are far easier to control when all thinking acting speaking the same?

Hmm I think so!!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is all part of the freakin plan......
The owners have been playing with our heads for a long time, and the results are showing everywhere....
The role models, the way we view reality, the commercials, the blatant propaganda that blares in everybodies ears from every media siurce....
Ewen cameron called it psychic driving......he subjected patrients to endless stimuli and electroshocked them into empty robots, with no memory of their past.
The media is a milder but NO LESS EFFECTIVE version of this psychic driving they used in MK Ultra experiments.......and we actually assist in the ostracising and punishment of those who refuse to succomb to it.
As it has been so ably put by another poster....".were screwed."

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why aren't those loonitics concerned about the trauma they have caused the boy with the cupcake?

The world is topsy-turvy. Can't we just Gibbs-slap all the idiots?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Our society has lost the ability to laugh at ourselves. We are WAY over sensitive about things. I can say this because I am a woman, but I think a little to much femininism has hurt our logic.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Sister, I'm right there with you.....I have a very good and warped sense of humor, that ALOT of people do not like. I will slam myself to get people to laugh, of course, most people now a days do not get that, or If I go on a tangent, I will try and over exaggerate so much that they should know I'm joking, but some people are oblivious.

Yes, people are WAY TOO serious these days, and for what???? An early grave??? Not me, I have responsibilites, but you have to have fun, I work in a factory, and I am the most watched person there. I can't even get a song in my head and dance in place without getting something said to me, mind you I'm still working to.

You know the saying Laughter is the best medicine!!!!

If I can get at least one person to laugh a day, I'm happy.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by phyllida

Public schools have now become indoctrination camps, akin to juvenile hall.

Remember, parents: Schools aren't there to teach your kids, they're there to tell them what to do, think, say, and be. If you don't like that idea, then raise hell if anything like this happens in your school, even if it's someone else's kid. Or better yet, find a way to home school them, or find a private school if you have the money.

I will be forever grateful for my father, my mother, and a certain Apostolic church who took me in when I was a depressed, near suicidal Satan worshiping misfit and made me understand how learning can not only be fun, but it made me stronger and smarter. I never would have gotten that in public school.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I say it isn't common sense as much as critical thinking and forethought which are being forgotten about. We must teach our children to think for themselves, even if they disagree with us about things.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

edit on 9-3-2013 by Eedjee because: I vented, is all, now I feel better. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja
Unfortunately, we are raising an entire generation that has no common sense.

I look at my children and their friends, and they absolutely can not think outside the box. Heck, they can't do any independent thought. But it is our fault...we subject them to liberal nut job educational system where they learn sight-words instead of phonics, they are not taught longhand math, they don't play competitive sports so there is never a winner or a loser, they don't celebrate holidays so as not to offend anyone, they don't even learn how to write in cursive.

I've got two young teens that have to think about how to read time on a clock. They don't know how to make their own signature, their manual dexterity is poor, etc. they are fully products of the public education system where it is more important to be PC than it is to succeed or be creative.

If you are in your mid 30's or older, I can guarantee you that you were doing more things and had more common sense by the time you were in grade 3, than what kids in grades 6-7 have now.

As much as I will get flamed for this, the end responsibilty is with the childs parents.if your teenage children have trouble telling the time , then instead of getting upset with the education system, you would benefit from taking a look in the mirror and accepting responsibility for your own inability to assist in your childs education.

The system is not totally to blame and you are an example of why.
edit on 9-3-2013 by magma because: edit

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

There is only so much we can do. Remember children spend possibly more time at school with teachers and peers than they do with parents. Its extremely difficult to show an alternate viewpoint to a child who is already indoctrinated and believes that teacher knows best and hey you're just a mother!

There has to be a line drawn whereby we allow our children to grow and develop with too much of our own prejudices and influences. Unfortunately, it seems that is not happening in schools. Rather than teach core subjects designed to get them into college and university, schools seem to have taken on the roles of social workers and left wing agenda pushers. Now whether that's through choice well that's a different matter.

Over the last ten years or so schools not parents have succeeded in breeding a generation of brainwashed idealists who spout the rhetoric without even knowing what it means or the consequences thereof. They have no competitive spirit in them and believe that jobs will just turn up and knock on their door. Many now believe they don't really have to try too hard as they will always be rewarded no matter what they do or how they perform. Underperformance and bad behaviour is rewarded here in the UK whilst the intelligent clever kids lag behind and are ignored and that's not good for anyone.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thank Goodness my nephew didn't go to that school....lol....he would have been a "threat" to all his other classmates with his "deadly" banana guns!!! I never met a little boy who didn't like to pretend things are "weapons" and my sister is a flaming liberal......lol...as hard as I try to wake her a$$ up!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join