It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pics and info of planets outside our galaxy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Okay, we live in the Milky Way galaxy. ive been searching the internet for a research project of mine, trying to find pics and info about planets out side out galaxy, but cant hardly find anything. (You'd think with google serving over a billion pages, I'd find something worth my while...
)

anyways, andybody got any good sites on this topic?

-TSK

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
c'mon people, is there no one out there that knows any sites?!

-TSK

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I dont think we have anything that can even come close to seeing planets that far out. I think the closest galaxy to us is Canis Major dwarf galaxy and its some 25,000 light years away from us.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I dont think we have anything that can even come close to seeing planets that far out. I think the closest galaxy to us is Canis Major dwarf galaxy and its some 25,000 light years away from us.

I guess that explains why I couldn't find s***

I feel like an idiot

-TSK

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Also, the reason I started this thread was because I saw some other galaxies near us on that celestia program Kano posted a while back, there were several on there that seemed clost to us.

Anyways, sorry for this waste of bandwidth

*crawls back into hole*

-TSK

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
yeah, dont expect to see planets outside are own SOLAR STSTEM, let alone another galaxy, there is several pics of other galaxies, but that's it. We cant yet see the planets inside those galaxies.
So sorry, but your research on this wont get you very far. re-ask this question in about 100 years.

Hell, were still finding other planets in our own solar system.

and the Galaxy that SHADOW is refering to will eventually be apart of ours, that galaxy basically surrounds are own Milky Way, our galaxy is much larger and so it will eventually consume the Canis Major Dwarf.

Our galaxy= 1 / other galaxy= 0

heres my fav pic of the Canis M D Galaxy.

Canis Major Dwarf - big pic

It is the redish color, it probably used to look like a normal galaxy, but the Milky Way is tearing it to pieces, in the future it will no longer be called a galaxy, it will eventually live on only as individual stars inside our own gaxaxy. and when all said and done are Milky Way will have 1% more mass.

[edit on 1-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
theshadowknows people are finding alot of planets outside our solar system though. They are finding quite a few I think something like 1 a month. They are big ones Jupiter or Neptune size, they find them by watching the sun's wobble the way a large planet effects the sun gives the planets away even though you cant see them.

Heres a link for 2 new planets some 33 and 41 light years away.

www.dailycal.org...

The farthest known planet is OGLE-TR-56b it is more than 20 times farther away than any currently known planet orbiting a normal star. It is the first planetary system found outside our local neighborhood - the Orion spiral arm that contains the Sun. The new planet orbits a star located in the Sagittarius arm, which is a spiral arm of stars adjacent to ours and closer to the Galaxy center.

I think its something like 5,000 light-years away so we are getting closer step by step we might find a planet in another galaxy in our lifetimes.

www.ufoindia.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
They name a Planet OGLE, yet you can't look at it?

Space Irony, I tell ya...!

But it's true, like Shadow says, all extra-solar planets are too far away, and/or outshined by their mother star. So far, their presence is only inferred, by the gravitatinal wobble they create on the main star. And some, I think by the slight dimming they cause, when they pass between us and that star, blocking out a tiny bit of light.

So, not yet. no lookie..

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i think that there are telescopes that can see other planets in other systems. now this could be fake, but i was watching tv some years ago and they showed a pic from a telescope that they said was way beyond all galaxies, it was nothing but pitch black. and also, ive seen in a magizine pictures of other planets (of course that arent in our system), but then again, it could have just been pc generated pics based on info they got from other instruments. i think that this magizine was called "Astronomy". im sure many people here have heard of it. but the thing is that i dont know what issue it was
they have a site. its www.astronomy.com

[edit on 3-11-2004 by azdude1804]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by azdude1804
i think that there are telescopes that can see other planets in other systems. now this could be fake, but i was watching tv some years ago and they showed a pic from a telescope that they said was way beyond all galaxies, it was nothing but pitch black. and also, ive seen in a magizine pictures of other planets (of course that arent in our system), but then again, it could have just been pc generated pics based on info they got from other instruments. i think that this magizine was called "Astronomy". im sure many people here have heard of it. but the thing is that i dont know what issue it was
they have a site. its www.astronomy.com

[edit on 3-11-2004 by azdude1804]

I doubt that they can see other solar systems planets. I know that they have found around 100 solar systems in our Milky Way galaxy, but we cant yet see individual planets, maybe some new telescope could but even if it could dont expect ANY detail, the planet would be made up of only a few pixels.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
even if it could dont expect ANY detail, the planet would be made up of only a few pixels.

damn, ive seen the pics of Pluto, only a few pixels. Imagine how bad these pics would be ! (if it were possible).

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
i havent read the full posts for this topic but i skimmed them if you find a picture than claims to be an extra solar planet they are lieing. we are yet to take a picture directly of an extra solar planet that is why you cant find anything. BUT there are loads of informaton on extrasolar planets out there so if thats what you want i can help

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
Also, the reason I started this thread was because I saw some other galaxies near us on that celestia program Kano posted a while back, there were several on there that seemed clost to us.

Anyways, sorry for this waste of bandwidth

*crawls back into hole*

-TSK

close!!?!?! hahaha here let this explain something to give you an idea how "Close" thoes galaxys are even "only" 25,000 light years....

Picture a map of the heavens in which the distance between the Earth and the Sun - 93,000,000 miles- is drawn as one inch. this is called an AU. Astronomers often ues the AU( Astronomical Unit) to measure distances. Earth is 1 AU from the sun Mars is 1.52 AU, Jupiter is 5.20 AU. Venus is 0.72 AU, and Pluto is on average 39.44 Au from teh sun.
On our map where 1 AU = 1inch the earth would be one inch from the sun, mars would be 1.5 inches from the sun and pluto would be 39.44 in from the sun. Where is alpha centauri, the nearst star to our solarsystem on this map? Four and a Third MILES away. and that is the nearest star!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Mizar
close!!?!?! hahaha here let this explain something to give you an idea how "Close" thoes galaxys are even "only" 25,000 light years....

Picture a map of the heavens in which the distance between the Earth and the Sun - 93,000,000 miles- is drawn as one inch. this is called an AU. Astronomers often ues the AU( Astronomical Unit) to measure distances. Earth is 1 AU from the sun Mars is 1.52 AU, Jupiter is 5.20 AU. Venus is 0.72 AU, and Pluto is on average 39.44 Au from teh sun.
On our map where 1 AU = 1inch the earth would be one inch from the sun, mars would be 1.5 inches from the sun and pluto would be 39.44 in from the sun. Where is alpha centauri, the nearst star to our solarsystem on this map? Four and a Third MILES away. and that is the nearest star!

He meant relatively close.

BTW, why is earth considered to be 1 AU, it sounds like were trying to make ourselves sound like were the center of the galaxy (if ya know what I mean).

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
i was just mesing with you i dont know earth is one au becasuse it is 98,000,00 miles form the sun and 98,000,000 miles is the measurment used to make an AU so earth = 1 au from teh sun key word from the sun.

im sorry if i made you feel bad i know you were doing a relative thing to space distances its just people forget how huge space is

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
There are more stars in the heavens than grains of sand on EVERY BEACH on Earth.
And the nearest grain to us is 4 light years away !!!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGE
There are more stars in the heavens than grains of sand on EVERY BEACH on Earth.
And the nearest grain to us is 4 light years away !!!

- thats the dumbest comparision i'v ever heard. That is WAY beyond speculation.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Last estimate I heard was the universe contained 1 Million stars for every grain of sand on Earth.

From an 'Are We Alone?" documentary with Sam Neill, so can't really vouch for its accuracy. Mindblowing nonetheless.

top topics

join