It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween ATS Hoax?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
[edit on 31-10-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Has anyone checked the stats on the member lansing? It says that he registered on 8/2/04, but has only posted seven times, most of his posts are in the new thread about the military action in New Jersey. It's sort of odd that someone would start posting at a time like this.....

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I agree, I think it's in poor taste and it's poor timing to promote a hoax of this kind, even if it's an "homage" to War of the Worlds.

Tensions are running very high, and the first thing people are going to think is an impending terror attack. I've also heard rumors that Pres. Bush might launch airstrikes against Iran right before the elections, and thought it could be related to that too. Some people might even think it's the start of a civil war. All sorts of things are going on right now, and this was not the time to do something like that.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
if this is a hoax, then i curse all the moderators and administrators and people who were in on it to hell

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slayer
It's sort of odd that someone would start posting at a time like this.....

Same deal with the panicky soccer mom.
check her out

Odd time to suddenly become an ATS junkie.
Lighten up folks, it's Halloween. Somebody give the mods a bite sized butterfinger, or some other treat and perhaps they'll stop their tricks.

Fun tho.

Odd

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I've had far too little sleep to deal with any kind of hoax. Aussie Bloke, eat your heart out

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's kinda odd to me that the news anchors on MSNBC are all smiles and haven't mentioned a thing about it in the 15 minutes I've had it on.

This shows great disrespect for the members of ATS. I, too, may find a more mature, LEGITIMATE board to visit. This is stupid.

IF, and I truly doubt it, this turns out to be true, then everyone on this Board has my deepest apology for my extreme skepticism and lack of an open mind. Until I see proof on one of the major news networks, though, my position stands, and I think the one's behind it need to go out and trick or treat to get their jollies. It has no place here and is disgusting.

What a disappointment. I used to like this board ...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Lighten up folks, it's Halloween

That means absolutly nothing at all to most of the world who don't celebrate it, and anyway this sort stuff is better suited to April fools

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Sorry for the double-post. So, I'll just change it to the following.

Well, it's been 45 minutes now, and still nothing on MSNBC about it.

What a waste of time this has become ...

[edit on 10/31/2004 by netbound]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yep, labeled as a 'Tribute' with the highest level involvement. Not very original, or well done, and could be mistaken nothing more than an attempt to attract more people to the site.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Mainer]

link   
Regarding the mention of Aussie Bloke, at least it was a halfway intelligent hoax. This one is just plain stupid.

Isn't this akin to the user who gets on a thread and just tries to disrupt it for kicks?

link   
Totally unfunny, uncool, and not to mention wreckless...

I guess the Mods and others involved didn't really care about the reaction this would've caused... I feel like a total idiot for telling others about this, the only reason I believed in the first place was because of SO's pictures...

I guess its cool to know what those listening to Orson Wells's broadcast felt like at the time...

But I dont know...

Whatever, I guess...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-10-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
[qute]riginally psted by Weise
Totally unfunny, uncool, and not to mention wreckless...
[/qute]

I'm in that same boat. I can't believe they'd do smething like that...I was excited, but I can't even imagine the ammount of poeple that took this a lot more seriously than I.

Who know's what it got poeple to do.

What I do know is...I think I'm going to use this as a big push forward to leave this site. I've had reasons to do it befre, but this is the icing on the cake. These types of things have been plaguing ATS for a long time, though usually on levels smaller than this..but the same kinda crap.

it was fun,

later guys

[edit on 31-10-2004 by anjeeeee]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The United States is at war.

We are hours away from an election that many people think will be disrupted by terrorists.

Terrorists have sworn that they will attack the US again.

Tensions are at the breaking point in the Middle East.

The US is living under a GOVERNMENT that believes in hoaxing the people.

North Korea has threatened to attack the US.

We are hearing terror alerts and warnings over and over.

Now is not the time for an ATS hoax. Appalling doesn't even come close to describing this irresponsibility.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm SO annoyed with the Hoax. Here I have been trying to sell my hubby and friends on ATS for weeks and then today I thought I had them hook, line and sinker when all of this strange news started coming out that was being "kept out of the news" and then it turns out it's all a hoax! It made me look like an idiot and it made ATS lose crediblity.

I hope that after today the Mods will delete all of the hoax threads so that anyone new joining the site won't think that pranks like this are pulled frequently. I've really enjoyed ATS and will still remain a fan but I will be much more skeptical about what I read from now on.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cimmerius

Now is not the time for an ATS hoax. Appalling doesn't even come close to describing this irresponsibility.

The only things I found wrong with it is that there is a specific rule against hoax, and once SO was involved, many people dismissed that it was a hoax. And ultimately it was not performed well, it was too easy to see through. A �tribute� could have used similar themes, but with a different enough story to not be so obvious.

I had always thought that if something of this sort was actually going down, ATS would be the place to find more information. This �tribute� did wonders to remove such notions.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mainer

It was intentionally made easy to "see through" because it was a tribute and not a hoax.

You kind of explained that part yourself.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Wait until April Fools Day...

[edit on 10/28/04 by jesterbr549]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Mainer

It was intentionally made easy to "see through" because it was a tribute and not a hoax.

You kind of explained that part yourself.

I wonder if a 'tribute' to John Titor would be taken so well...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join