It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life is easier in jail.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

If i cant support myself working in a trade then everyone else out there working in a trade cant either.

I think there is a breakdown in your context, or at least what you're trying to convey. There is a difference in supporting one's self and one maintaining a certain lifestyle based on the means they have to do so. In your case a $13 an hour trade.

So the caveat is that your choice of lifestyle does not coincide with your income level. Either way, you'll need to make some adjustments to one or the other.
edit on 3/1/2013 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Hey uber once again you have grade a analytical skills. You have a way of looking at the bigger picture sometimes and i enjoy your responses.

Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Yeah exactly. Thats where im getting to but i have to get back into a fighting shape in order to have that start happening again.

Not really…You could get a fight this weekend if you are licensed. Promoters are always looking for short notice guys and they don’t care what shape you’re in…they’re just trying to make their fight card.

This ordeal for lack of a better term has been going on for a few years and now that its taken care of i can get back on track.

I know a few fighters on probation. It’s par for the course unfortunately. If you’re a fighter you fight.

Google some local promotions and call their matchmaker. I guarantee you’ll get an offer quickly.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I dont want to lose and i see it as a way of making money in the future, sort of like college. Your right though.

I want to win so i can have a job locally training guys and being apart of a fight team.

Its just like going to college.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Maybe we can learn some compassion in this world and be a little bit more forgiving.

I applaud you for the progress you have and are making in your life; you are headed in the right directions.

You may be able to rework your budget and figure out how to get and do the same things and get results; without having to spend the money you are now and/or finding ways to do those things for free.

I quoted the above sentence of yours because I do agree with you; if there was more compassion in this world mixing with a lot of forgiveness; just think how humanity would be healed. It is definitely something to strive for.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thanks for seeing some of the insight i have to offer rather then only seeing me on a personal level.

Thats one of the biggest points i wanted to bring to light. Thanks for adding your perspective.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You dont think thats manning up?

If you can honestly look back at the past 5 years, and feel that you absolutely tried your hardest and pursued every avenue that could make your life better, then my opinion matters not.

Carpe Diem...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Most people in my situation fare much worse. Thats what i mean when i say its easier in jail or even prison. Most people prefer prison to jail. Ive worked REALLY hard and getting a life together. Most are not as fortunate as me.

This is a problem when people WANT to go to prison instead...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
"Life is easier in jail" is an oxymoron.

There is NO such thing as "life" in jail. I assume the 6 months didn't do you a lesson. Maybe you need a revisit.

Set your priorities.

What's more important for you in order to survive? Supplements? Gym? Food? Car?

There are alternatives to supplements and the gym and I'm positive you are wise enough to be aware of them.

You are not the only one in this world who complains about money yet payes for unnecessary things that piles on top of their bills.

I have relatives who constantly complain about money, yet drive 2013 Audi A4 and pay for other luxurious things.

Why?

I have no sympathy for such people.

You play WOW?
.....like WOW! nuff said.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I understand economic times are tough, I myself have just crawled from the misery of unemployment to a decent job.

I have a few question plus some suggestions.

Do you NEED your car?

I have never owned a car, and I have never driven a day in my life. My public transportation bill is about 84 dollars a month, maybe an additional 10 depending if I forget to buy my monthly pass (like I did today
).

Oh and let me add my commute is pretty long, its not ride around the block. I go from the the Southern end of Los Angeles, to the Valley everyday.

Saving all that money on insurance and gas would be good for you. yes you will be making a big sacrifice, but it is one that comes with definitive benefits.

If your a pro fighter (kudos to you, I'm a big supporter of MMA) and you are at a good gym then stay. But If you do not feel like you are improving or are not getting a lot of encouragement from the trainers at the gym, than do your training at home. Some of the best fighters I have ever seen trained at home, you just need a bag, a mat, some weights, some cardio equipment and you are good.

Just make sure that fighting is something you really want and believe you can do, many guys go in thinking they have what it takes because they have gotten in to some scraps in life and came out the victor but that is not what its like in the cage. Also if you are good and have a good amount of fights under your belt, try out for the Ultimate Fighter even if you get on and lose, you will get great exposure.

And yeah get off WoW. I know it may suck to stop playing, I played for years and I loved it, hell I still do. I love everything about the Warcraft universe (I am a super geek), but that game is just way to time consuming.

Yeah and get a better phone plan man Jesus! 110$ that is insane, I pay 80$ dollars right now and I get EVERYTHING, but I'm still going to get rid of my current plan because I don't use all of the features. You can honestly cut it down to as low as 50$ with the the right provider and still get great service.

I make just a little bit more than you do man, and at my last job I was making less than you were, and I had managed to survive comfortably. Just budget man, budget!
edit on 1-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Got to say I sympathise with the situation you are in.

Seems to me like you are trying to make a go of things and I know how hard that can be given your circumstances.

I can't really comment on conditions and attitudes in American society but things are pretty similar, if not worse, here in the UK.
The 'just be grateful for what you've got' attitude is becoming the norm.

Yes, people are working at McDonalds for even worse pay, and that is a disgrace, but that doesn't mean to say that it's right you should be paid just a slightly more than subsistence level wage for a hard week's graft.
People also get paid a damn sight more for doing less - but that seems perfectly acceptable.

Is it wrong that workers in the world's most affluent country's desire a decent wage, something that provides for more than just the bear essentials etc?
Why shouldn't you be able to find relief and enjoyment, be it WoW or whatever, after working for a living?
Is wanting an honest day's pay for an honest day's work so unreasonable?

I for one believe that in a caring and progressive society all those who contribute to it's growth, health, wealth and upkeep have a right to share in that society's bounty and also have a moral responsibility to help those less fortunate.(That's not to say I condone scrounging off the state and exploiting the benefit system).
But then again I suppose those who insist upon labelling things will just condemn and label me a naive, idealistic, damn pinko, liberal commie.

That you have taken the path that you have speaks volumes about your character.
I know many ex-cons who have experienced the same sort of difficulties and attitudes and have quickly returned to a life of crime.
Recidivism rates in both our country's are obscenely high.
Prison can be viewed as nothing but Crime University - many serve time for relatively minor offences yet come out with a wealth of criminal knowledge and a wide network of contacts that will willingly provide them the opportunity to become full time criminals.

But what are the alternatives - crap wages in a crap job with no life?

Unless people have first hand knowledge and experience of it then it's very hard for them to understand just how strong you have been by breaking free from that cycle.

We are told to look at the world upside down and arse about face - 'look at these poor soul's, you should be grateful for your, (pityful), lot' - well bollocks to that I say - let's look at what those on top have and give me a fair slice of the pie.

I know it probably means little but for what it's worth you have my admiration and I only hope things improve soon for you - and do your utmost to keep out of jail.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

I couldn't stop but think.... PurpleVortex Keeping the Pimpin hand strong~ Though I think other members had a more subtle take on this thread, maybe gentler is a better word to use. I agree and second everything you just stated!

Write this stuff down it's gold~ Material possesion's do nothing for you except keep you in a state of wanting wanting wanting... What do you really need? Food/Shelter/darn.... I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else....

link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

But if i cut out WOW and get out of the house i have to have something to do out of the house.

How about volunteering at your local animal shelter? Or, any number of other organizations that long for people to selflessly volunteer their valuable time. Not to mention, this looks nice on a resume in conjunction with a felony conviction. It shows a true attempt at being a rehabilitated member of society that is focused on their actions now being for the greater good.

This may be good advice for you, but I find volunteering to be on par with slavery.
If we live in a society that is based solely on the necessity for income, then I don't believe ANYONE should ever volunteer..

Time is not free in this way of life, therefore you do not work for free.
It may look nice to you or some other people, but for the people using the volunteers, i'm fairly certain they are laughing all the way to the bank...

link   
reply to post by Openeye

I do NEED it. I didnt get a car for years untill i had to have one.

I was winning all of my fights until.. well until this. That was years ago though. I have a good gym and id make any sacrifice to be in shape and be training and fighting including homelessness.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I dont want to lose and i see it as a way of making money in the future, sort of like college. Your right though.

If you’re worried about losing you’re in the wrong business.

It’s a personal decision though. It takes a lot of balz to step into a cage and fight in front of a crowd, and I respect anyone with the balz to do it.

I want to win so i can have a job locally training guys and being apart of a fight team.

Its just like going to college.

I know what it’s like…I’m in the business. You don’t have to have a good record or even any pro fights at all to be a great coach. Coaching is about knowledge, motivation and leadership (and connections to promoters). Some of the best coaches in the world have never fought (Greg Jackson).

If you need money and you’ve trained (and fought before) then I’d get in there and earn some money. You won’t be recognized training in the gym or working your printing press.

By the way, the gym business is tough, and 90% of pro MMA fighters are broke as hell. In that regard, its nothing like college. I would have a backup plan! The real money in the MMA world is in fighter management.

edit on 1-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Most people in my situation fare much worse.

True, but there are always two sides, there are people in your same situation who do much better. Im not trying to bring you down, but only you can put you where you want to be.

Ive already comment on the gym membership. Its kind of like paying for school.

Well, why not try school?

In 5 years you have only managed to come up with an entry level job that requires basic motor skills and a pulse, and plan on being a professional fighter?

If thats what makes you happy, then by all means....

But if you want more, and this is all you are willing to put into it, then I am sorry but I cannot sympethize with your plight.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Running that press is harder then you think. It requires serious attention to detail and A LOT of knowledge. Its not considered a skilled trade for no reason.

I dont think you know what it means to train. Its not easy. Its especially not easy when working full time. Read the post above yours for more information.

Its also the most rewarding thing ive ever done in my life and that doesnt mean externally and with money.

If it wasnt for fighting trust me id be on a much harder path. Fighting teaches you more about yourself then anything in the world.
edit on 1-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Seabag its good to know others in the business are on ATS. It takes a serious individual to be involved in fighting and survive for more then a year or two. Appreciate the understanding and what youve post here.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I have honestly no idea what the purpose is of your thread. I can tell you this, regardless of being convicted, some people make much more less than you do. Looking at your expenses, you can cut back a lot, but don't blame everything because of your past, it simply just doesn't work like that. Take whatever you can get and build up from there, that's all and stop wining!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Is there any way you can help out at your gym, perhaps training others of some such and have your membership fees reduced. This will get you out more as well.
I admire your efforts to get your life in order and wish you the best in your efforts.
Don't ever give up.
Some here will troll you but ignore them. You are better than that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join