It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life is easier in jail.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So most of you now know ive been convicted of a violent felony as was discussed in my thread here. So basically here is a run down of my situation and whats going on.

Its taken me almost 5 years to get a job that i can make a career out of, after SURVIVING probation for 3 years. I work in the printing industry on a printing press. Here is some info on what i do...

Source...

Flexography (often abbreviated to flexo) is a form of printing process which utilizes a flexible relief plate. It is essentially a modern version of letterpress which can be used for printing on almost any type of substrate, including plastic, metallic films, cellophane, and paper. It is widely used for printing on the non-porous substrates required for various types of food packaging (it is also well suited for printing large areas of solid color). Contents

Here is a new model of the press i run, which i must say is probably ten times easier then the one we use at our shop.

I'm going to be really honest here... i have an apprentice position with the company. This is considered a skilled trade and requires about 2-3 years of training before moving into the next position. This depends on the person as well. I have to obtain knowledge about not only running the press which is a trade in and of itself but also, plate mounting, making ink adjustments, inventory, and front and back end process procedures to fulfill the order.

I make $13 an hour to do all this. Thats not a lot of money in this day and age. I can barely support myself and im not paying rent right now because im staying with family. My gas bill for my car alone is 55$ a week for a full tank of gas. I only have to fill up weekly. My phone bill is $110/ mo, food is about $120 a week, gym dues are $80/ mo, insurance is $120/ mo, chipping around the house probably ends up being about $50-60 a week which isn't much, wow subscription is $15/ mo. Thats only a basic breakdown which comes out to 1225/ mo. Thats out of 2k a month before taxes. BEFORE TAXES. Taxes are an estimated 22%. Im low balling it here. So after taxes take about 450 off of the 2k a month and thats what i have to work with.

HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO SURVIVE. The average rent where i live is 550 a month for crappy 1 bedroom. Throw in a new pair of shoes or some kind of apparel for work or the gym and im broke or in the hole. I WORK IN A SKILLED TRADE! I dont get it. How are people suppose to survive?

LIFE WOULD BE EASIER IN PRISON, and this brings me to my next point. Maybe were making life to hard on those who are in the system and thats why we have so many people in the system. A lot of people probably make the choice to go back. I have mounting debt from past car loans and credit cards and other various bills up in and around the 50k mark. I cant afford to pay any of this off so my credit is down the tubes. Its a really crappy situation people are finding themselves in these days. At least im lucky enough to have found something worth grinding it out for for years before i can make close to 30-40k a year. I cant imagine what its like for people in worse off situations then mine.

Maybe we can learn some compassion in this world and be a little bit more forgiving.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
You could cut back on things..

-like Phone bill.. most avg decent plans are 60 bucks
-WoW subscriptions.. not only this will save money but also get you out of the house.
-Maybe take 1-2 extra days as part time....
-Cut back on Gym.... just do few cardio jogging in the morning and evening.

edit on 3/1/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Im sorry, but you are not special, non-felons have the SAME problems you do. Man up and quit blaming the system for YOUR actions.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Well, the phone bill and wow subscription are... i want to say necessary. But if i cut out WOW and get out of the house i have to have something to do out of the house. Wow is a good distraction and keeps me out of trouble. The phone bill i could probably do without.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Food is $120 a week AND you live at home? I live by myself and spend less than $70 a week on food. Eat more fruit, less drive thru.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

I did man up. I searched for a decent opportunity for five years. You dont think thats manning up? You know how hard it is to complete probation in this day and age? I was homeless when i started.

Its more then the system, its job opportunity, its housing cost, its everything.

Im sorry, but you are not special, non-felons have the SAME problems you do.

I didnt say i was special im simply stating the fact that this day and age is not forgiving and that people make the choice to go to jail because its better.
edit on 1-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Thats the problem is i eat healthy.

You would know that if you checked my profile.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Don't give up first of all. Don't throw your hands in the air. Don't go back in the hole. Don't do it bro~ I will agree that most people who have been in jail say it's easier behind bars. Heck 3 meals a day, cloathes, bed, pooper wait that's it... Just go with the necessities and work hard, be diligent and you will succeed. It's brutal out there buddy, and I feel your pain. Let me say this though, we have Millionaires who are out of a Job, PHD's with no income same with Master's and whatever else degree they have.

I believe in you~ I do! It might look like it's easier in the slammer... But at least out here you don't have to worry about Big Bob and you know what~ Out here Uncle Sam gives it to you regardless.

Welcome to the grind~ I hope you prosper brother~

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
All jobs work this way, you pay your dues for crappy wages then when your qualified you make good money, one day when you own your own business youll hire an apprentice and pay him a low wage as well

If all your worried about is food and a roof over your head sure go back to prison, surely the freedom of being able to get a GF, go to the cinema, play WoW etc etc is better than being locked up and kept in a cage

Share a flat withsome, give up your gym and WoW subscriptions for awhile, eat fresh fruit and veggies, rice and other cheap food. You make sacrifices now and in the long run it will pay off.

Hang in there dude, I wish you the best of luck

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Well, you're still doing it wrong. There's literally no way you eat $120 worth of food a week. Maybe if you didn't, you wouldn't need a gym membership.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
There is people a lot worse off than you who have never been a convict or committed a crime you should be greatful you make $13 a hour that sounds like a good wage for someone that lives alone a lot of people can support a family of 3 or 4 on that and still be quite well off $20.000 $30.000 a year would do me fine.

link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

The gym dues are a grind right now for a while but thats going to turn into a source of income.

I understand paying dues everyone has to. I just remember hearing stories from my older family members about how much easier it was to find a place to live 20-30 years ago and im wondering what happened.

link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by luciddream

Well, the phone bill and wow subscription are... i want to say necessary. But if i cut out WOW and get out of the house i have to have something to do out of the house. Wow is a good distraction and keeps me out of trouble. The phone bill i could probably do without.

I don't have a car or a cell-phone because I'd rather put money into my savings account. If you want something to do outside of the house then try getting a second job.

You'll find that once you cut expenses and increase your revenue that you will be doing much better financially.

I work two jobs and go to school full-time so I don't want to hear you complaining.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

what about the poor souls stuck in mcdonalds on $5 a hour ha

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Cancel the gym membership.

all you really need is a decent bench and a pair of dumbells.

You can basically work every muscle with that.

in the long run saved me lots of money and time.

now i have a home gym pretty much.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Add the cost of nutritional supplementation in. That might help tip your scale towards where im at.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

The gym membership will become a source of income in 6/mo to a year. So thats not going anywhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well, you can either go back to prison

OR

Cancel your Gym membership, World of Warcraft account and maybe even your phone...
...and then...

SUCK IT UP LIKE THE REST OF US SER.

Honestly, I just (less than six months ago) finally mangaed after a year to move into a low income housing project with my Mom, sister and her two kids and my two brothers. There is no work to be found; we all try regularly by participating in community programs such as Workforce but still to no avail. We survive by hopping between foodbanks and begging churches to help keep our lights and water on. I would work as a fruit picker if those jobs weren't already taken. I have never even owned a cell phone or a laptop computer.

So before you complain about having to pay a little too much to play a computer game and run on a treadmill while looking at all the pretty girls remember there are families out there like mine fighting tooth and nail to keep their heads above water and we don't post on forums seeking sympathy. Its not easy out there man, not for any of us. Just keep in mind, you can settle in for a nice few hours of grinding levels with your buds and snacking on a Hot-Pocket, I'm going to be hoping I get to eat somewhere other than the salvation army.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

Yeah i mean we have 6 people living in our house as well and the gym membership isnt to run on a treadmill its to a fighting gym so that maybe one day i can do something better then this.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

But if i cut out WOW and get out of the house i have to have something to do out of the house.

How about volunteering at your local animal shelter? Or, any number of other organizations that long for people to selflessly volunteer their valuable time. Not to mention, this looks nice on a resume in conjunction with a felony conviction. It shows a true attempt at being a rehabilitated member of society that is focused on their actions now being for the greater good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join