It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common sense? What and how?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
First off, if common sense has failed me and this is in the wrong forum please move

What is "common sense"?

How do we define something as common sense?

In this thread regarding demon possesion

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the OP was taking something someone said literally where as I considered it to be figuratively and I was constantly told "common sense" says it's literal.

Is common sense borne of what we personally consider believable and more likely or is there more commonality to common sense? i.e I don't believe in demons so common sense tells me she was speaking figuratively in that thread

The fact that common sense elicits different responses from different people suggests that it's not so common after all.

Does society as a whole dictate what constitutes common sense or is it purely based on ones own beliefs and experiences?

Just pondering while finishing up the work day and thought it'd be interesting to hear others thoughts on "common sense" and see how common my thoughts are

Cheers

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

I dont know if common sense encompasses personal beliefs, which are opinion and not based on fact. In my realm common sense would dictate that.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I dont know if common sense encompasses personal beliefs, which are opinion and not based on fact. In my realm common sense would dictate that.

Surely it has to though as I'm sure someone will consider it common sense to include personal beliefs therefore differing to your common sense....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well I know, I don't have common sense.

I'll be the first to admit that.

Drunk or sober.

All I can do is press on and not care about it.

Tomorrow is another day.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Well I know, I don't have common sense.

I'll be the first to admit that.

Drunk or sober.

All I can do is press on and not care about it.

Tomorrow is another day.

haha but surely you think you have common sense when drunk

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Nope, I just got my 5 minutes of peace and that's all I care about.

Calgon take me away.. No, really it's Jager.

edit on 28-2-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
To me,common sense is what happens when presented with a situation or problem which you have knowledge or some other means to address the situation.

It mean's paying attention to the world around you.

You don't piss in the wind,(that's a guy thing) ,or spit( that's a everyone thing) in the wind.

Another guy thing is don't stick your hand,finger or whatever into something you wouldn't stick you manhood into.

Don't expect your world to conform to you,but you must adapt to it.
Don't expect that curb or step to be there ,don't believe for a minute that a rug will be straight and not messed upped so you will not trip.

Don't stick your hand or fingers into a garbage disposal or into a light socket without knowing that rather or not it is off or not.

And so on.

Common sense is being aware of your situation and how to deal with it without thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I believe the phrase "Common Sense" is an oxymoron. At least ever since I've been alive I have not seen any basic sense being common among the general population.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

In that persons mind I guess. By definition common sense is ruled by generally accepted facts.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Common sense just seems to be human instinct, it's just there are a few out there who's common sense makes no sense at all.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Oh,missed the part about the demon thread,that is a personal issue, but to me just run away to the lighter side of the room it's safer over there.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by chisisiCoptos
Common sense just seems to be human instinct, it's just there are a few out there who's common sense makes no sense at all.

But how do you know that your common sense is the "correct" one? Is it a majority rules type thing?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

In that persons mind I guess. By definition common sense is ruled by generally accepted facts.

If that's the case, it's not much of an argument as I'm sure we're all aware, generally accepted "facts" are not always fact.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Im not trying to make an argument, thats just what the term means.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant the "common sense" argument is worthless in a debate if it is based on generally accepted facts.

I didn't mean you were arguing

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Nah, I misinterpreted it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Had some time and did some reading:

Common sense is defined by Merriam-Webster as, "sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts."[1] Thus, "common sense" (in this view) equates to the knowledge and experience which most people already have, or which the person using the term believes that they do or should have.

So by that definition it can be based on either commonality or personal beliefs. It also mentions "facts" as being a basis for "common sense" but how do you argue this with someone that believes something to be fact despite there being no physical evidence of such or evidence the other way for that matter?

It's certainly interesting reading for someone that hasn't really thought about it before...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-3-2013 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Common sense is rare!!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Common sense is rare!!

Why is it rare?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Common sense is the ability to think about the result of your actions before you take action and take the action that makes the most sense. Like a toddler will stick their hand in a candles flame to see what it is. They get burned and never do that again. Common sense comes from problem solving and seeing the results of your decisions. It is learned, you are not born with it. It is best learned in trade skills. If you are a carpenter and do not measure before you cut a piece of wood, it will not fit. You must think before you act. If you are a mechanic and repairing a car that blew a head gasket, You must fix the reason that it blew a head gasket or it will blow another head gasket. That is common sense.

Washington has none btw. People groomed for politics have no common sense. This is why they can not see the unintended consequences of their actions. The first presidents had common sense. They had trades before they became president. Benjamin Franklin had a huge amount of common sense. He was a tradesman.

top topics

join