It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

But but but I saw it on the Interwebz so it Must be True......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Gods that annoys me to no end. I spend the better part of most days arguing with people who come into the office and have printed pages of this and that and since they got it from a google search it must be true.

The internet should come with a warning label, something like:

This is the internet, while a lot of what you will find here is pretty accurate, there is a growing number of things that are questionable, and more and more sites every day that repost false and misleading topics.

Granted, there are a lot of things and places that have an accurate assessment of things going on, and we all know to take the major news sites with the proverbial grain of salt, but when someone pops in and claims that Elvis is going to be the next Pope, and has been hidden in a Vatican Vault for the past 30 someodd years, and they actually BELIEVE IT... well then there's a problem.

Which of course goes to my next point which is all the scams and shams and frauds out there that could get everyone into major issues.... "but I read it on the Interwebz" is not a valid defense, you have a brain? USE IT for gods sake... Trolls? Don't get me started on them, people who have to twist every statement to mean something it doesn't just to prove that they are somehow superior to everyone else, and are in reality compensating for the fact that they live in mommy's basement crunching on pork rinds, and trying to find the perfect acne cream. The bravado from some of these people amazes me, and it's getting to the point where these SAME people are now showing up in Real Life to try this stuff on the outside world, and it's FAILING...

I mean does anyone REALLY think that you can just go up to someone and threaten them with being killed in a horrible manner? "But I did it on the Interwebz, and I didn't get in trouble"

All I have to say is get some brain cells together, and realize, that at least 75% of what you see daily on the net, unless you're doing some uber specific searching and know the sites you're going to are just vast repositories for known knowledge.. (Sorry folks Bibliotechapleyades does not count as a tome of known knowledge) .. is probably to be taken with some sort of question, lest you try it in real life and find out that people aren't as forgiving as they are online.......

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"Internet warning!
for entertainment purposes only do not attempt anything you see or read on here"

people need to get out more and experience more of real life then they will realize how fake the internet and movies really are.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
thats not how it works.. its only true if the gov tells you its true.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Critical thinking is a dying skill, not that I am any kind of example, but I read Phage's comments, soooooo
Seriously, good rant, I hear you.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

replace interwebz with almost anything and its still a nonsense approach at information.

But but I saw it on the TV so it must be True...

But but I heard it from the government so it must be true...

But but I read it in a newspaper so it must be true...

"It is a contribution to ignorance to value the messenger over the message" - Adolf Hitler
in this case the messenger is the internet...

If the internet were an ocean...it's waters would be murky and muddy...

While I agree with your assessment of the internet...its not JUST the internet...its every "source" of information...too many people taking things at face value...regardless of the medium = ignorance.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Good thread and I agree with the majority there. I'm hearing some crazy things at college, of all places. To hear some of the more extreme and loony fringe theories from the net repeated in person and from sincere people...is disturbing. I don't know a better way to describe it. It's almost surreal. It's one thing to see it on a screen. We can assume whatever we want about the person, how serious they are or if they believe it themselves.

In person...looking in their eyes...it's just freaky to realize some believe some of the wild stuff. I'll leave each to imagine what theories it may include as it would offend some to even say that much...but your rant is well stated!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

sounds like the CT's on this site are gettin' to you.

perhaps you should limit your browsing habits to kim kardashian updates and pictures of cats.

edit; i wish i could give you 150 flags for this thread!

edit on 27-2-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Bon- Jour

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If you read it on the internet it has to be true.......

By the way ladies.... I'm a french model.

Bonjour......

(that commercial just kills me)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm glad I read this thread...

...on the internet.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
reply to post by vkey08

sounds like the CT's on this site are gettin' to you.

perhaps you should limit your browsing habits to kim kardashian updates and pictures of cats.

edit; i wish i could give you 150 flags for this thread!

edit on 27-2-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

Actually it's the people n the stores, and the office and gas stations that repeat the stupidest things, all because someone shared it on Facebook or HuffPost or wherever...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

also those morning talk show guys all seem to have heard
the latest ones.
among other things, they've been joking about somebody rubbing deer antler (extract?) on their body and i don't know what happens next.
i'm sure i could find something on the internet 'bout it.

anyway, fads come and go and CT's are due their '15 minutes'.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
sadly this is the kind notion that perpetuates the idea that anything that you hear or see on the web is automatically false if it is too far out of our grasp on reality.

truth is, weird stuff does happen. now when weird stuff happens it is communicated though the web when possible. turning a localized event into a event seen by members of the global community at a speed never imagined by those before us.

sure believers can be liars, con artists, magicians, and hoaxers. but not everything can be false and not everything can be faked,

although anyone that religiously takes a skeptic stance will make claims as speculative and dis-informing as there counterparts, liars, con artists, magicians, and hoaxers. it seems to me that both sides have there share of charlatans

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
reply to post by vkey08

also those morning talk show guys all seem to have heard
the latest ones.
among other things, they've been joking about somebody rubbing deer antler (extract?) on their body and i don't know what happens next.
i'm sure i could find something on the internet 'bout it.

anyway, fads come and go and CT's are due their '15 minutes'.

yeah, it's got some very basic steroid properties so people created the myth that it would build muscle and heal injuries just because of the word "steroid" not realizing what a steroid actually is.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

While I wholeheartedly agree with your rant and its message - I cannot help but point out the irony that I read it, too, on the Internet.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well i can think of two off the top of my head that really irked me because they've been so disseminated into people's lives,

The Pope convicted and sentenced to twenty five years in prison, all Vatican property to be given back to the people.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

You forgot that rocks on Mars are actually rabbits and that we really don't know because we've never landed on the moon or sent spacecraft outside of our own atmosphere.

It's game theory and simple physics. Build it and the dense will come. Since they are dense they tend to sink to the base and become the foundation.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Tell it like it is my friend!

I know exactly where you are coming from. Blaming people for being gullible does not give a pass to be a scamming little #.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I can Internezt, therefore I know all the things.

How dare you suggest that people actually find REAL information that is peer reviewed, cross checked and factual.

Jesus Vkey..

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by vkey08

I can Internezt, therefore I know all the things.

How dare you suggest that people actually find REAL information that is peer reviewed, cross checked and factual.

Jesus Vkey..

~Tenth

I know.. I know.. it's asking sooo much in this day and age.....

Although... Maybe just maybe, we could get some of the MSM people to actually take that advice.. nah..... would probably make their heads explode..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join