It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt taking more of my check in 2013. DId your taxes go up, too? Are you Rich?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I guess if I had kids I'd be crying about $30 a week too.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The senate passed it, they have democratic majority.

Confused much?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
This thread is jumping up in pages here. Seems everybody got some opinion on taxes.everybody pretty opposed to em. I agree there is a real concern with corruption and miss direction of spending, in government.

I think we lose sight of the benefits we derive from systems in place and operating that are provided by corporate production and government oversight and direction. Corporations extract their operating share from increasing profits. Governments must get theirs from taxes, a more obvious and less popular extraction. I would argue however that corporate profit is the greater threat.

No man is an island. You pay Peter, you pay Paul. Pay your respects to God and you live on what you got left over.

More on topic, you can see why any tax cut is never temporary.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
As far as i know, mine have not increased (i'm taxed around 23% total anyway, but get a lot back). However, my (private) health insurance premium did increase. According to the letter it is the result of one or several things (never specified), ranging from the new healthcare law to standard policy rate adjustment. I'm still trying to find out what exactly caused it to increase.

Needless to say, this guy is not too happy about that.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Some people I know have also been complaining about how more taxes are coming out of their checks. I can understand why people would be upset about something like that. Some people were already having a hard time making ends meet and to have more money taken out of your check makes it even harder especially for people who have families.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Its funny how everyone's eye is on that 2 percent when inflation ( adjusted value by government) renders your dollar more than 20 percent less than it was a few years ago. So yeah dont shake your fist at the gas station or the grocery store and blame it on the wealthy owner. Thats the government\s strategy of manipulating currency and printing more. Yeah your being taxed now like 20 percent more so be good sheep and get back to work oh yeah complaining about that 2 percent enough they will give it back to you by printing you up some and devaluing it just a little more. Think about it if things were priced the same way as they were 10 years ago it would be much less a burden to pay that extra 2 percent.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
So right wingers don't want people mooching off the government and not paying taxes

But then they create threads like this crying about taxes? Do they want to be moochers too?
edit on 2/22/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

How are people who pay taxes and are not on the dole mooches?

You are really way off.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreAWAKE

Originally posted by leemachino
I am ok with paying 2% more in hopes that the benefits I have paid into for the past 20 years might still be around when I may need them.

Yeah...that's great! Pay more in HOPES that something MIGHT be around. Is that really your level of judgement of a YOUR President? Hell...anyone could provide HOPE that something you (and most of us) have paid into for our entire working lives MIGHT be there later. You know though...it was and is our money...not theirs. I mean...you do know that...don't you? So why is it OK for them (government) spending OUR money? In fact, that kinda sounds like the failed stimulus....throw OUR money at them in HOPES that something MIGHT change. Lets HOPE drug addicts MIGHT change, lets HOPE terrorists MIGHT change their minds.

But I guess you got what you elected him for. Or at least the HOPE part. I guess the CHANGE is that now they are taking the money in our pockets (or before it gets there) instead of just taking what we so stupidly paid into government run security. Fox running the hen house.

Congress not POTUS controls the purse. Which means they legislate taxes. I HOPE You take a civics course to learn the difference. I still dont mind paying the 2% I paid 3 years ago. Maybe that extra money will keep the widowed mother down the block in her home since she will still be able to get her belated husband's SS benefits.
(hypothetically of course)

Shame on me for thinking of others who may be less fortunate than I.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
You think you're feeling the pinch now? Just wait until obamacare kicks in.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by leemachino

He didnt create the tax break......Bush did......facts are important.

Remember everyone yelling about the Bush tax cuts?

Bush created the payroll tax break? After he was out of office? The payroll tax holiday came from congress in 2009.
edit on 22-2-2013 by leemachino because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
After promising that he was only going to raise taxes "on the richest Americans," the President raised the social security tax by 2%. Thanks, Pharaoh Obama.

I make about 50K per year. Starting January 1, there's another $30 PER WEEK missing from my check.

We used to take the kids out to dinner once a week, because I have to work late one evening a week. We've already cut all other eating out and grocery expenses. So, we'll have to pack sack lunches for school for the kids, PLUS a sack-supper one night a week, since there's no money to get fast food...

Am I the only one who noticed this????

This is were americans make me sick... Here in Portugal the average income after deductions is something like 10k dollars a year, and our cost of living is far higher than yours. For instance:

- 8 dollars per galon of unleaded gasoline;
- 13k for a small, citadine car like peugeot 108;
- 5 dollars for a good steak;

It's ridiculous, your standard of living is 2 family cars, 2 LCD televisions, a games console, a gazillion credit cards per family member, other than that you're claiming food stamps. Here you're lucky if you can afford food to put on your table everyday.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Payroll taxes are up for everyone.

Personally I don't mind paying my fair share.

Paying your fair share is a good thing. Unless what you are paying for is unlawful or unconstitutional. As long as it is not spent to shake down handicapped toddlers at the airport or to stage false flag events. I'm all about the concept of one paying their fair share.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Payroll taxes are up for everyone.

Personally I don't mind paying my fair share.

Paying your fair share is a good thing. Unless what you are paying for is unlawful or unconstitutional. As long as it is not spent to shake down handicapped toddlers at the airport or to stage false flag events. I'm all about the concept of one paying their fair share.

edit on 22-2-2013 by REMflyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JameSimon

After promising that he was only going to raise taxes "on the richest Americans," the President raised the social security tax by 2%. Thanks, Pharaoh Obama.

I make about 50K per year. Starting January 1, there's another $30 PER WEEK missing from my check.

We used to take the kids out to dinner once a week, because I have to work late one evening a week. We've already cut all other eating out and grocery expenses. So, we'll have to pack sack lunches for school for the kids, PLUS a sack-supper one night a week, since there's no money to get fast food...

This is were americans make me sick... Here in Portugal the average income after deductions is something like 10k dollars a year, and our cost of living is far higher than yours. For instance:

It's ridiculous, your standard of living is 2 family cars, 2 LCD televisions, a games console, a gazillion credit cards per family member, other than that you're claiming food stamps. Here you're lucky if you can afford food to put on your table everyday.

But you have free health care so all is good, right? I think the US is heading in your direction faster than most people realize. So just be patient and before long the US economy will be as miserable as yours.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i already get taxed like 37%

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

While I would love to keep more of my paycheck, technically social security is more of a forced trust fund (that the gov't "borrows" from) and not a tax. My taxes did not go up, unfortunately, because I don't make enough money for them to go up, but the temporary cut to social security contributions expired and are now reflected in my paycheck.

Honestly, tax rates are still at historic lows (at least compared to the past century), people just complain about it a lot more now. Some want us to do away with income fax in favor of consumption tax, in order to make the tax burden harder the lower your income, which would decimate the economy, and result in abandonment of things like the highway sytem, schooling for all but the rich, the disbanding of the military, and skyrocketing rates of plague and starvation in the US. On the plus side, large corporations and the extremely wealthy would keep more of whatever income they do make so that they can not-hire more, and stash more money in private banks.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Sigh. Ok, Im not an Obama guy, but he did not do this. These tax cuts expired. ALL of congress is responsible for letting this happen.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I would be willing to pay my "fair share" except my "fair share" is a pittance compared to the fair share corporate is avoiding paying.

I would be willing to pay my "fair share" except no one asked me to vote on invading Libya and spending 300 million in cruise missiles just the first day.

I would be willing to pay my "fair share" except that no matter how much I pay it will be misspent by "leaders" that somehow don't represent their people.

I would be willing to pay my "fair share" when the share is FAIR!

Until that point I will continue doing what I do, I own my own business, travel all over the world and write off everything. I have never enjoyed a better quality of life while spending every dollar I make on business expenses. Sadly these expenses are so high that I am only making about 10 to 15k a year.

You can be a wage slave and let others dictate what, when and how much you pay or you can start a small business. The choice is yours.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

Originally posted by JameSimon

But you have free health care so all is good, right? I think the US is heading in your direction faster than most people realize. So just be patient and before long the US economy will be as miserable as yours.

Free Healthcare only for some unemployed people and depending on family income. More than 20% unemployment.

Just as another comparison, a macdonalds mcmenu big mac costs more than 7 dollars. How much is your minimum salary?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join