Govt taking more of my check in 2013. DId your taxes go up, too? Are you Rich?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Even if you don't see more taxes coming out of your check, you are paying more taxes. It appears nearly every state is raising the tax on gasoline. Yea, poor people drive. By over regulating industry/corporations, product prices increase. Everybody pays for it. We now have the Death Tax. That was zero before Jan 2013. It is now 55% if you die. Tell your kids that they are S.O.L. on that inheritance they were looking forward to. Got a farm that has been in the family for 200 years? Want to pass it down to your kids to work it? Good luck with that. Have a bill like cable, etc that has been the same price for years but just went up in January? That got tagged by Obamacare. Paying more for food lately? All these price increases are due to taxes or government regulation. The poorest of the poor pay more too. Just because you don't see it come out of your check does not mean you are not paying more taxes.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by leemachino

My mistake, I was talking about the Bush tax cuts, that they have been extending.

They were going to let them expire also, then decided against it.

That would have really hurt.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JameSimon

Then instead of putting us down, maybe you should move here.

We pride ourself on what we have, or should I say did, until all these bleeding hearts took over.

Why should we feel bad for having a higher standard of living?

I like first world problems a lot more than I would like second or third world problems.

Life's all about survival of the fittest.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

No, they are not at historic lows.

We had NO income tax until the 1900's. it was all sales tax. One tax was instituted to pay for the civil war and then repealed. The progressive movement of the early 1900's made the mess we have now.

The idea of creating an income tax resurfaced during the American Civil War. Again considered a temporary tax to raise money for a war, Congress passed the Revenue Act of 1861 which instituted an income tax. However, there were so many problems with the details of the income tax law that income taxes were not collected until the law was revised the following year in the Tax Act of 1862. In addition to adding taxes on feathers, gunpowder, billiard tables, and leather, the Tax Act of 1862 specified that the income tax would require those that earned up to $10,000 to pay the government three percent of their income while those that made over $10,000 would pay five percent. Also notable was the inclusion of a $600 standard deductible.

The income tax law was amended several times over the next few years and eventually fully repealed in 1872.

history1900s.about.com...

Thinking that a graduated-scale income tax placed upon all citizens of the United States would be a fair way to collect taxes, the federal government attempted to enact a country-wide income tax in 1894. However, because at that time all federal taxes had to be based on state population,

the income tax law was found unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1895.

To create a permanent income tax, the Constitution of the United States needed to be changed.

In 1913, the 16th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified. This amendment eliminated the need to base federal taxes on state population by stating: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Some of us learned history before the progressives started changing it and we research, so these arguments about taxes being higher dont work.

Time to ratify the 16th again.
edit on 22-2-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Then instead of putting us down, maybe you should move here.

We pride ourself on what we have, or should I say did, until all these bleeding hearts took over.

Why should we feel bad for having a higher standard of living?

I like first world problems a lot more than I would like second or third world problems.

Life's all about survival of the fittest.

This is a non argument. What I see is a country filled with lazy people that are acostumed to being "rich". The first stock crash was made by you and the most recent economical crash was so strong because of you, again. And by You I mean USA. You pollute most than average, European products are cheaper there than in Portugal, Gas is a no contest and salaries are way above our income. In Europe, most countries would love to have a president as sane as yours, but the average american bashes Obama like he is the antichrist, when he was caught in the midle of the worst economical crisis since WWII. Bash him all you want, but with most Euro prime ministers your 50k salary would be cut to half.

The world is not only the US, you represent 1/20th of the worlds population. Think that there are 6.7 billion more that are living in conditions probably worse than yours. 1st world countries where people work 50 hours a week to make 1/5th of your average income, in places where the cost of living is the same or higher.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Wow, just wow.

What load of baloney.

China and other third world countries are the polluters.

We can't even have a fireplace in some cities over here people are so afraid of breathing a bad molecule.

And the lazy ones you speak of make all of us mad because they live off the people who work.

My husband works 70 to 80 a week to provide for the life we enjoy.

Is that lazy?

Most families are two income to provide for their standard of living.

Get a clue. Jealousy is not pretty, my friend.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Wow, just wow.

What load of baloney.

China and other third world countries are the polluters.

We can't even have a fireplace in some cities over here people are so afraid of breathing a bad molecule.

And the lazy ones you speak of make all of us mad because they live off the people who work.

My husband works 70 to 80 a week to provide for the life we enjoy.

Is that lazy?

Most families are two income to provide for their standard of living.

Get a clue. Jealousy is not pretty, my friend.

I'm not jealous, I'm tired of seeing USA citizens always complaining when they have good quality of life and are, at the same time, the country that causes most of worlds problems concerning war and pollution, where the podium is clearly reached. Don't think I'm jealous of people who live better than me, I'm just tired of those same people always complaining how bad they live. Some Data:

Pollution

- USA nº2 Polluter
- Again at nº2
- And yet again at nº2

Cost of Living (watch the income)

- Cost of Living: Portugal vs USA

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JameSimon

Originally posted by tovenar
After promising that he was only going to raise taxes "on the richest Americans," the President raised the social security tax by 2%. Thanks, Pharaoh Obama.

I make about 50K per year. Starting January 1, there's another $30 PER WEEK missing from my check.

We used to take the kids out to dinner once a week, because I have to work late one evening a week. We've already cut all other eating out and grocery expenses. So, we'll have to pack sack lunches for school for the kids, PLUS a sack-supper one night a week, since there's no money to get fast food...

Am I the only one who noticed this????

This is were americans make me sick... Here in Portugal the average income after deductions is something like 10k dollars a year, and our cost of living is far higher than yours. For instance:

- 8 dollars per galon of unleaded gasoline;
- 13k for a small, citadine car like peugeot 108;
- 5 dollars for a good steak;

It's ridiculous, your standard of living is 2 family cars, 2 LCD televisions, a games console, a gazillion credit cards per family member, other than that you're claiming food stamps. Here you're lucky if you can afford food to put on your table everyday.

I agree with what you say but I should add the reason the PIIG nations are doing lousy is...

a)they spend too much on welfare(waste)
b)the ECB is privately owned and determines what nations get. You cannot live a luxurious lifestyle on borrowing. Greece found out this the hard way. Either go communist or accept capitalism with its flaws and try to improve it.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
we need to take the pain now

if we keep kicking the can down the road we fall off a cliff

stop ur whining

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The way you talk about the US it is clear that you have spend little meaningful time here, suffer a brutal case of (anti-American) xenophobia, or both. Do you think we ALL have 2 cars? A "gazillion" credit cards and food stamps, to boot? Come, now.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyBatty

The way you talk about the US it is clear that you have spend little meaningful time here, suffer a brutal case of (anti-American) xenophobia, or both. Do you think we ALL have 2 cars? A "gazillion" credit cards and food stamps, to boot? Come, now.

You are delluding yourself if you think ultra-capitalism does not ENCOURAGE credit cards and reckless spending. Some folks are mature enough to resist the urge to do so. The people who are not FEED INTO the ultra-capitalist system which benefits the big banks and wall street speculators.

You are mistaken if you think people envy america. I am an american(born in nj) but raised and residing in europe, therefore I can compare lifestyles and economies. Most folks are pissed about the military industrial complex racket pushing for constant wars based on bs. Many americans(including service personal) are coming to grips with the situation and do not like what they are witnessing. The truth is painful but necessary to solve problems.

Since I AM AMERICAN I do not hate america. I do hate the democrats and republicans with their constant lies that feed agendas not of the average american, european or middle eastern citizen. This what folks are trying to address, at least that is what it seems. Also have you noticed brits, ausies, canadians saying the same thing?

The average american is just as much a victim of the corrupt political system as any other foreign citizen.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

You are delluding yourself if you think ultra-capitalism does not ENCOURAGE credit cards and reckless spending. Some folks are mature enough to resist the urge to do so. The people who are not FEED INTO the ultra-capitalist system which benefits the big banks and wall street speculators.

You are mistaken if you think people envy america. I am an american(born in nj) but raised and residing in europe, therefore I can compare lifestyles and economies. Most folks are pissed about the military industrial complex racket pushing for constant wars based on bs. Many americans(including service personal) are coming to grips with the situation and do not like what they are witnessing. The truth is painful but necessary to solve problems.

Since I AM AMERICAN I do not hate america. I do hate the democrats and republicans with their constant lies that feed agendas not of the average american, european or middle eastern citizen. This what folks are trying to address, at least that is what it seems. Also have you noticed brits, ausies, canadians saying the same thing?

The average american is just as much a victim of the corrupt political system as any other foreign citizen.

Name calling doesn't help your case (I'm delusional?). You say you don't hate America but your posts are evidence to the contrary, just above you say America makes you sick.

Where did I say anything pro-capitalism in my post, since I'm the delusional one?

And where did I say people envy America, since you say I'm mistaken?

Who are you posting to, anyway?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
we need to take the pain now

if we keep kicking the can down the road we fall off a cliff

stop ur whining

Across the board heavy tariffs on all asian imports would solve a lot of problems. Then reduce the capital gains tax to 25% to further stimulate investment(not speculation). Then stop taxing the # out of the middle class and pass the burden to the millionares and billionares that can afford to pay more.

If we keep bleeding jobs and income to asia, no short sighted tax increase will solve anything. In fact these pseudo-redistribution schemes will hasten the collapse of the economy and bring anarchy when business can no longer afford to pay any taxes. You can't pay taxes if you earn nothing at all. You simply go out of business or if you are lucky enough so big multinational will gobble you up and give you an early retirement.

Most importantly the holy crusades in the middle east need to stop and the 9-11 criminals brought to justice.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyBatty

Are you going to imply I am self-hater next?

That is what zionists call the jews who are against a jewish state called israel.

America has problems and I am mature enough to spot them. Sorry if it hurts you so much!

Also your post was themed in a general fashion and I responded accordingly. No need for strawmans.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Well, since you won't respond to direct questions I guess our discussion is closed. I don't make assumptions about people or call them names. I'm a naturalized European myself and have learned that there is good and bad everywhere. Perhaps you think the same but overall your polls are overwhelmingly anti-American, which is a shame.

Good luck to you.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Lets look at this from a grade school prospective, I take one apple away from the three that I have, it leaves me two apples. Now let say in two years that apple gets added too my two apples, which means I now again have three apples. I first had a decrease in apples and then an increase in apples. No matter how you want to slice it, you deducted 2% and you increased it 2%. They should of never deducted the 2% anyways it was another stupid government Band-Aid. They need to stop trying to help us, we would all be a lot better off. Don't get me started on furloughs and raises .
edit on 22-2-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: no reason

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Well, since you won't respond to direct questions I guess our discussion is closed. I don't make assumptions about people or call them names. I'm a naturalized European myself and have learned that there is good and bad everywhere. Perhaps you think the same but overall your polls are overwhelmingly anti-American, which is a shame.

Good luck to you.

You just took my posts the wrong way, confusing criticism with hate. I wasn't even talking to you in the first place but responding to someone from portugal. Yes I do hate lying politicians though with crooked agendas. I made it abundantly clear in my previous posts. How the hell that has anything to do with hating america is beyond me.

Good luck to you as well!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That would make sense if people making more money payed the correct tax rate in the first place. Your argument is flawed, anything else?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Since the US governments spends all the money they collect in taxes and does not have any separate trust fund that is not raided for spending, I see all these taxes as general taxes. They can call a tax by a different name but if that money is not saved or blocked from being spent for some other program, then I see it as just another tax. In that respect, we did lose a temporary tax cut. If you only look back a year or two which seems to be long term for many Americans, it becomes a tax increase and taxes went up on the middle class and poor.

I expect the complaining to get a lot louder in 2014 when people realize how much extra everyone will have to pay for Obamacare. I'm already reading about companies dropping coverage for spouses because it wasn't mandated. Then there are huge tax penalties of at least 2,000 dollars or more per person I believe if you didn't pay for health insurance coverage for someone in your tax paying family.

I would like to thank Pelosi and Obama and their supporters for contributing to the destruction of my life savings. They are destroying it by electing those who see no problem printing money or borrowing too much while keeping the growth rate so low they apparently see no other choice. I would prefer much higher economic growth, a smaller government tax rate, and less regulations. Higher growth rates increase government revenue without tax increases. High growth can increase inflation unless the government cuts spending. That's a win win as far as I see things but those in office don't seem to have a clue. Unfortunately many Americans don't seem to understand either.

It makes me feel even better when I hear about politicians thinking they can take our retirement money and work on a scheme where we lose control of our life savings. Not really, that was sarcasm for those that aren't famaliar with sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Payroll taxes are up for everyone.

Personally I don't mind paying my fair share.

Oh ok, you know you helped pay for that hellfire missle that killed 30 innocent civilians just to take out 1 terrorist.

Or so Obama can go on lavish vacations.

And what about the billions of bullets DHS ordered, you paid for that too.

But I'm sure you're ok with that. Glad you could help a criminal organization commit more atrocities.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join