It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt taking more of my check in 2013. DId your taxes go up, too? Are you Rich?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
After promising that he was only going to raise taxes "on the richest Americans," the President raised the social security tax by 2%. Thanks, Pharaoh Obama.

I make about 50K per year. Starting January 1, there's another $30 PER WEEK missing from my check.

We used to take the kids out to dinner once a week, because I have to work late one evening a week. We've already cut all other eating out and grocery expenses. So, we'll have to pack sack lunches for school for the kids, PLUS a sack-supper one night a week, since there's no money to get fast food...

Am I the only one who noticed this????

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
After promising that he was only going to raise taxes "on the richest Americans," the President raised the social security tax by 2%. Thanks, Pharaoh Obama.

I make about 50K per year. Starting January 1, there's another $30 PER WEEK missing from my check.

We used to take the kids out to dinner once a week, because I have to work late one evening a week. We've already cut all other eating out and grocery expenses. So, we'll have to pack sack lunches for school for the kids, PLUS a sack-supper one night a week, since there's no money to get fast food...

Stop focusing on yourself and your personal troubles as a concequence of this change, you gotta look at the bigger perspective if you are ever going to make a difference.(instead of soudning like a egoistical crybaby)

So you get 30$ less per week why is this bad for the economy? Well the place you had dinner at before wont get your money anymore, which might get them to have a harder time/ going bankrupt, which means they have to go on welfare as well, which means obama must take even more $ from people, rinse, repeat, eventually we have no economy, and no one to pay the taxes, thus no one gets welfare.

Thats how you have to state it, so that EVERYONE understands why it is bad.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Stop focusing on yourself and your personal troubles as a concequence of this change, you gotta look at the bigger perspective if you are ever going to make a difference.(instead of soudning like a egoistical crybaby)

Do you have a job? Did your paycheck get changed? I WAS focusing on the larger people---other worker bees who actually earn income and pay taxes. The people who are being hard-pressed by this useless policy change--the proceeds of which will be wasted on the next Solyndra, or more bomber jets for Egypt's Morsi.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Get use to it. Not only is the temporary tax decrease gone (sucks for us), spending is up (sucks for our kids) and to top it all off major retail chains are reporting dismal financial reports.

I know 30 bucks a week cut from your pay might seem bad but imagine being in retail where your entire store and all your co-workers are about to get fired. Walmart had some leaked internal emails about how the tax increase (not really an increase just a reset to previous level) and the fact people couldn't file there taxes until January 30th put them in the red, in one month.

I feel ya tho, it sure seems like there is a major disconnect between normal Joe and the politicians.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

My girlfriends taxes went up.. She makes about 22,000 or so, and I am not finding work... We were right on the line before, but now we can't pay our rent it looks like.. Hopefully she gets some taxes back from last year, but yuck.. Meanwhile the job hunt is dismal.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So, am I the only person on ATS who has a job????

"Get used to it." Everyone who wants to say this in a post to me, needs to send me $30 a week from now on.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I'm paying a lot more now too. I expected this as soon as I discovered the people wanted more tax and spend people in office. They got it.

What irked me a bit was that Obama and the democrats were talking about renewing the tax break for another year or even keeping it before the election. Suddenly when they are back, they are ok with dropping the tax break. This tax increase is going to be small compared to higher gas costs and electricity costs we'll see if the president gets his green agenda going in my opinion. I read he wanted gas to be $8 a gallon, about half way there and apparently the people wanted him back. I read today all the fuel economy standards to have cars average over 50 miles per gallon will add on average over $2300 to the cost of every vehicle people will have to pay when they buy the vehicles. That might still be cost effective over time but it makes it harder for the poor and middle class to upgrade their vehicles.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I suspect a lot of people with jobs are sleeping because they need to get up for work in the morning. I myself was so tired I fell asleep watching tv on my sofa and now I'm up during the middle of the night a few hours later.

Getting up every morning and working late will get you tired, especially when your boss lets you take work home so you get to work for free on your own personal time with no pay increase. Expectation seems to be we are like robots with no personal lives.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Higher tax = more money at government's disposal = more programs to aid Americans, including yourself.
Lower tax = more money spent at corporate businesses = fatter bonuses for CEOs and bankers, not including you

Tough choice, bruh.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Payroll taxes are up for everyone.

Personally I don't mind paying my fair share.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Hey dude, must suck. Especially considering prices of everything seem to be up as well (food, petrol, rent). You should migrate to Australia. Heaps of work here if you prepared to work in the middle of no where in a mine. Pretty common to make 100 -150k a year doing unskilled work in a mine, perhaps 200 - 250k if u have a trade.

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
A temporary tax cut expired. Obama didnt raise taxes. He lat a tax break ( which was temporary) to expire. A tax break he created to stimulate the economy.

I am ok with paying 2% more in hopes that the benefits I have paid into for the past 20 years might still be around when I may need them.

Yes like most people here, I have a job.
edit on 21-2-2013 by leemachino because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I don't understand how dense people seem to be. It took 12 posts before it was pointed out that the reason your 'taxes went up' was because a temporary payroll tax cut expired. It was always going to expire. It was said upfront. It was essentially taking money from SS and Medicare so people would have a few extra bucks in their pocket to help stimulate the economy. Kinda like the gov't releasing some gas from the reserves to stabilize gas prices. What happened was your taxes went back to what they were originally. Why is this so hard to understand?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Yeah, get used to being deceived and lied to by POTUS. Lot's of people saw through him years ago, many are just now 'getting' it. He's a liar to the core and couldn't lead his way out of a wet sack. Have to admit, it was 'transparent' to many and in that he told the truth.

My wife was just laid off. She worked 23 years for one of the top AE firms in the US, mostly doing facility design for state and fed. There NEVER WERE any shovel ready jobs and she is one of the last remaining senior people. Laid off after 23 years. Doesn't bode well for the poor as the 'trickle down' is being shut off.

Get used to it.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Obama did not raise your social security, Congress did. Congress failed to extend the payroll tax holiday that we have been on for a few years, so your anger is misdirected.

No, many have noticed. There are a number of existing threads on this topic.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Payroll taxes are up for everyone.

Personally I don't mind paying my fair share.

Are you a sheep???

Honestly, how can anyone honestly say they don't mind paying more???

I seem to recall that YOU can voluntarily pay more. I do find it funny that YOU need the Govt to tell YOU to pay more.

This whole fair share crap is as close to brainwashed propaganda as it gets.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino

I am ok with paying 2% more in hopes that the benefits I have paid into for the past 20 years might still be around when I may need them.

You really think it will be around for you when you are ready for SS?

That is alot of money to pay for just "hope".

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Higher tax = more money at government's disposal = more programs to aid Americans, including yourself.
Lower tax = more money spent at corporate businesses = fatter bonuses for CEOs and bankers, not including you

Tough choice, bruh.

LOL. More tax=money taken out of the economy to be wasted by government bureaucrats and to buy votes using programs on your dime.
Less tax= more money in teh economoy so it grows, more money in the citizen's pockets to save or spend as they choose, less government control over the individual and less disenfranchisement of the working man due to the buying of votes with taxpayer dollars.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

DaTroof operates under the idea that the Money a person earns really isn't theirs to keep.

We, as wage earning citizens are just here to provide a bankroll for politicians to siphon off of so they can continue to buy votes of those that don't earn enough.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You are not alone my friend. You may feel that way since the media is in Obama's pocket. Taxes are up, health care premiums are WAY up, prices of everything has gone up (food, gas, etc). Unemployment is at record levels since Obama took office. National debt is WAY WAY up. We are in a hand-basket headed straight to you know where.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join